• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

What kind of career do you want?

Reptilian

Redshirt
Local time
Today 4:17 AM
-->
I have been spending a lot of time trying to figure out what exactly it is that I would like to do with the rest of my existence, and am still not any closer to the answer. I'm just curious if anyone here has either made a firm and complete decision regarding this, or is already doing what is it that you plan on doing for the rest of your life. Frankly I just need some ideas, so anything would be helpful. I myself am open to anything as long as it pays well and hopefully doesn't require that much social activity, but I am not getting my hopes up.

Venture

Banned
Local time
Today 1:17 AM
-->
I want a career, that will have long time security, but let me quit when I want to, and one that gives me lots of money, like a doctor something.

But then maybe I'll work on my guitar and be famous or something like that.

I don't know!

There's just so many options to choose from, but what I really want to be..... is a FIREFIGHTER!

That would be pretty kick ass if you know what I'm saying.

preilemus

Ashes
Local time
-->
its kind of hard for someone my age to answer without any illusions, but i want to be a creator in the broadest sense of the term.

Venture

Banned
Local time
-->
its kind of hard for someone my age to answer without any illusions, but i want to be a creator in the broadest sense of the term.

Yeah, but fighting fires in 100 degree heat is SO MUCH FUN!

You are boring, Glovehead

Tunesimah

Man-Child becoming a Dude.... Man
Local time
Today 3:17 AM
-->
I want a job that doesn't directly make anyone money.

So I've decided on becoming a high school math teacher.

Doing math all day long doesn't sound that bad to me... even just high school level math. I can always throw an extra level of abstraction on top to make it fun for me. How can one understand addition without knowing what 8+9 is?

The amount of time available for me to pursue other interests also appealed to me.

Working overtime, so my bosses can afford to drive a luxury vehicle to impress other bosses wives so that I can get a raise to buy an suv has no appeal to me.

I also want the children to love me, because I love them.
(that last line is probably a joke)

Artifice Orisit

The amount of time available for me to pursue other interests also appealed to me.
Get a video camera and record a teacher's expression as you tell them that.

I want to see somebody's head cave in.

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->
Can't I just be a student all my life? You know, without all those pesky bills, and pesky teachers, and pesky fellow students? No? Fine.

I want to be a millionaire so I can study anything I want and travel anywhere I want and visit all the libraries and museums, and art exhibits I possibly can!

No?

Fine. I'll settle for college professor. I won't have money but I could be one of those crazy profs you hear about or may have had. I'll mutter to myself while wandering around campus and leap out at students from behind bushes and demand they answer my weird questions. I'll have a fedora as well. It just won't work without a fedora.

Deleted member 1424

I've wanted to be a pilot, a cultural anthropologist, a scientist, an engineer, and at a particularly odd time in my life, a politician. I've now come to realize I have no idea.

walfin

Democrazy
Local time
Today 4:17 PM
-->
Reptilian said:
I have been spending a lot of time trying to figure out what exactly it is that I would like to do with the rest of my existence

You don't have to do one thing for all the rest of your existence (if you don't realise that already).

Not only that, you probably won't (ref: Adair's post, which is probably representative of INTPs).

Latro

Local time
-->
Chemical research, whether for a company or an organization or more independently. Preferably the latter if at all possible.

Tunesimah

Local time
-->

I know that's what is said about teachers, that they have to put in tons of hours but I don't know if I believe it. Or at least all the hours of work is concentrated , so yes you work a lot... but you do have holidays and summers. Which seems a better allocation of time to really study and pursue other interests.

Of course at first you have to continue education and whatnot... so it's not all rosy. But in the end, I like it's still slightly better than most other professions in this regard.

Believe me, I think it is absurd when I hear people want to get into teaching, "for the summers off." And it is not the primary reason that I want to teach.

So Long So Long

' let's grow up and blow away
Local time
-->
When I was a small child I wanted to be a painter. Then a cartoonist, a singer, a sculptor, a teacher, a policeman, a firefighter, and the list goes on. It was usually in a creative aspect, though.

At the moment I think I'd like to either majour in Graphic Design or (Clinical) Psychology and minor in Creative Writing either way. I've always enjoyed writing and I really want to write a novel or something someday. As for Graphic Design and Psychology? Well, I'm decent at it and secondly it interests me beyond belief.

I might change it to Journalism, but I don't know. Those are just the careers/subjects that stick out at the moment.

Vrecknidj

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I want a job that doesn't directly make anyone money.

So I've decided on becoming a high school math teacher.

Last year I taught high school math by day (it did not make nearly enough money to pay the bills) and university medical ethics by night (also did not make enough money). Together, the two jobs provided me just enough money to not slide deeper into debt.

I routinely worked 85 hours a week with grading, lecture prep and the like.

Best of luck.

Dave

Vrecknidj

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I know that's what is said about teachers, that they have to put in tons of hours but I don't know if I believe it. Or at least all the hours of work is concentrated , so yes you work a lot... but you do have holidays and summers.
In addition to my other post...

Here's my yearly and weekly schedules...

End of August until Christmas: work
two weeks off at Christmas
Beginning of January until middle of August: work
two weeks off in August

Now, the daily grind.

Monday: get up at 6:45, work until 10pm
Tuesday: get up at 6:45, work until 5:30, grade papers after dinner, often until bed
Wednesday: see Tuesday
Thursday: see Monday
Friday: see Tuesday

I work about 15 Saturdays and 5 Sundays a year as well.

For 6 weeks in the summer I get up at 7:45 instead of 6:45, and instead of getting home at 5:30 three days a week I get home at 4.

If you want to teach, and want to be good at what you do, and want to have enough money not to live in a box, then, either you will need a spouse who has a decent income-producing job (my wife stays at home and homeschools our kids, admittedly, this causes me to work more hours, but it's a tradeoff I accept), no kids, or virtually no physical needs.

:)

Every teacher I know who is doing well financially has a spouse with a great job. Every teacher I know who is single or who has another spouse that teaches is at best in the lower spectrum of middle class (at best).

Dave

flow

Audiophile/Insomniac
Local time
Today 2:17 AM
-->
I think I want to work in a hospital, I'm just not sure where.

Loki

Anything worth doing is worth overdoing...
Local time
-->
When I was a kid, I wanted to be older so I could be a cameraman on "Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous" I figured I'd get to travel around the world experiencing champaign wishes and caviar dreams.

Now I just want to be a kid again.

Reptilian

Redshirt
Local time
-->
As someone on here said, my dream also would be to be a student for life along with having plenty of money to travel. I think I would be perfectly content at the end of my life if I had some kind of job that paid well enough along the way to travel the world somewhat along with leaving me enough free time to learn everything about a few of my favorite topics.

The problem is finding/deciding the career that would make all of this fall into place and happen. I don't expect to be a millionaire or anything but just something that will leave me enough money to do the things that I want. I still can't think of any single thing that I am truly passionate about that is career worthy in the real world. I consider myself pretty creative, and the only thing that I believe would be somewhat decent would be architecture or something, but really I'm still not sure. I just wish that I hadn't of been so lazy in trying to come up with something because now I'm nearing the halfway mark in college.

Tyria

Ryuusa bakuryuu
Local time
Today 9:17 AM
-->
Something that I enjoy doing and that is challenging. A big plus would be a job that involves lots of physical movement while working. I hate being stuck at a desk.

Atriamax

Local time
-->
I WILL be a Engineer of some sort, Programmer of some sort, or Scientist of some sort. No exceptions. if i dont achieve one of these i honestly dont know what the point of life would be.

Craftyfox

Redshirt
Local time
Today 9:17 PM
-->
I'm doing a major in psychology and a minor in classic or art history not sure which yet, working as an oxymoron in intellience would be cool, have had aspirations of becoming a pathologist (patience can't sue for malpractice right?) also wanted to become med researcher, camera man, artist and engineer.

If the money was there I would just travel the world visiting art museums for the rest of my days.

:elephant:

Jaico

(mono no aware)
Local time
Today 5:47 AM
-->
I want to work in a job where my mind will be challenged by 'routine' work (which will hopefully be anything but). I think a job as a (forensic?) pathologist would also be pretty wicked; being a forensic psychiatrist might be pretty interesting, too.

Ghost1986

Local time
Today 1:17 PM
-->
what i want: sniper, fighter pilot, black ops, SWAT.

what i need: knowing my personal abilities both mentally and physically, it would be best for me to get in to some sort of analyst position. perhaps the state department or aiding some member of congress.

what i need: most of all i need a job that will help me pay off my student loans when i finish school in the next 2-6 years. what can you do with a bachelors/masters/doctorate in political science anyway? probably should have looked that up before i started majoring in political science. lol

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->
I'm currently studying to become a teacher in secondary school. I don't know if that's what I want to be. I've never been good with people, I figured 4years in school would cure it somewhat. But now I'm terribly uncertain. I'm not confident I will become any better. And frankly, I don't even know if I like humans. I just want to live alone for a while. But I'm scared I won't find a job without any education, and I think there's a small chance that I will like being a teacher, so I thought I should give it some more time. I were very excited for a long time before I started this education. I "knew" this was what I wanted to be. That spark disappeared instantly one day. And my self- esteem isn't all that great either. There's a lot of things that could go wrong, and I might end up as an awful teacher.

Tunesimah

Local time
-->
I'm currently studying to become a teacher in secondary school. I don't know if that's what I want to be. I've never been good with people, I figured 4years in school would cure it somewhat. But now I'm terribly uncertain. I'm not confident I will become any better. And frankly, I don't even know if I like humans. I just want to live alone for a while. But I'm scared I won't find a job without any education, and I think there's a small chance that I will like being a teacher, so I thought I should give it some more time. I were very excited for a long time before I started this education. I "knew" this was what I wanted to be. That spark disappeared instantly one day. And my self- esteem isn't all that great either. There's a lot of things that could go wrong, and I might end up as an awful teacher.

I have many of the same doubts about teaching.

I'm not exactly a people person, and the whole teaching certification is annoying me.

Why did you want to become a teacher in the first place? I had to make some very hard decisions and do some tutoring for a couple of years before I fully could commit myself to being a teacher. At this point, I have to do something with my life... and this seems the best fit for me.

I think you can slowly gain some self esteem through teaching. I know I've improved my social skills just by being around people, it's a learning curve. And when you are explaining a subject you know a lot about and are passionate about it's easy to stay confident and excited.

What subject are you looking to teach?

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->
I'm not planning to teach English, at least =p
Maybe Norwegian (I'm Norwegian), math and ...that ..subject which involves society.

I wanted to become a teacher because I have an open mind and want to know why people do what they do instead of just giving up on them. I want to help those that struggle in school, maybe make juveniles more aware of themselves and others. I'm somewhat objective and knowledgeable, like to learn myself. And I'm willing to try new approaches to get student more involved. Things like that.

I probably would be more confident when I'm teaching something I'm interested in and passionate about, I agree with you on that. My self- esteem.. I don't think it's a lost cause. And I hide it pretty well, I don't think it's painfully obvious.

I think I read that you were planning on taking math?
What attracts you to the profession?

niteshift

Local time
Today 8:17 AM
-->

Hey Minuend,

Please, please don't be a teacher. It's really not a skill that INTP's are good at. I speak from personal experience. ( Did a stint teaching HS Biology ) We think too fast, and hence, aren't always able to relate to the cross section that you're presented with in a lecture situaton. . One on one, fine, it's great to have someone with that intensity, and it works well. Similarly, the mentorship thing. I've had great mentors, who taught me well.

"Teaching" is a last dip option in this case. Just my opinion of couse. Keep or sweep.

cheers, niteshift

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
Today 2:17 AM
-->
Well, I started college in photo journalism. I switched to Botany. Because of scheduling problems I had to get a degree in Zoology instead with a few science minors. I have a few little botanical projects at home, and I would love to get paid for it, and someday I may sell them, but for now it is just a hobby. I love photography, and I have taught it amongst the science and math classes, but it is just a hobby as well. I get paid once in a while for it but meh. Teaching was a disaster. I thought that my ability to explain things well would make me good at it but oh no. I cannot finish raising those half-baked disasters for their useless parents. Now I am going to school for a Master's in Mental Health, and I am hoping it is a good fit. All I need is something that pays the bills and keeps my on my toes. I hate boring. I hate routine. I need a bit of chaos once in a while in order to keep from losing it. If I wasn't worried about making money though, I would love to be a mad plant scientist.

Tunesimah

Local time
-->
I think I read that you were planning on taking math?
What attracts you to the profession?

Yeah, I plan on teaching math. I tutor math and a few other subjects right now, and my fellow tutors and some students think I'm good at explaining things and would make a good teacher. Of course everyone says nice things...

I'm interested in teaching for a variety of reasons, none with more pull than another. I really am interesting in the subject. If I abstract it enough, I can be interested in high school math. I'm interested in understanding how other brains can come to understand math.

I'm also patient and generally want to help people. I tend to go off helping people with no thought of financial concerns... which seems to be a good personality trait for a teacher. If someone needs help and I have the time, I'm more than willing to help them understand something... It would be nice to have a job where I can do this and not have to worry about where the pay check will come from. I'm naturally going to teach anyways... so why not get payed for it?

While I can understand advanced math, I'm not so far beyond the level of students that I can't break down a subject. I'm frequently having to convert the rigid definitions in the book into something more intuitive that I can understand... once I have my own understanding then I go and forth and conquer. I'm finding my job as at teacher is to take that formulaic, cold description into something a student can understand.

And despite my love of the subject I do have my difficulties with math that causes me to work more slowly through rather simple problems. This is actually a good thing when it comes to teaching I think, because I can see and anticipate little problems that I might have and show how I can overcome them.

I hear stories about schools being so hard up for math teachers, that often teachers teaching math don't know the subject as well as they should. And certainly some don't know how it can all connect and become interesting down the line. I believe that high school students deserve a teacher that really knows the material: Frontwards and backwards, from a simple common perspective down to the abstract, rigorous foundations. I don't want to be arrogant, but I do believe I understand math in both these ways very well... and I can fill that need of teachers.

Also sort of related, I'd like to perhaps reach out to students like myself. Maybe spark their interest in a different kind of mathematics than the stuff they are learning in school. I don't know if school curriculum and politics will let me do this... but I want to attempt to.

With schools being so hard up for math teachers, hopefully I can find a school where I can do this.

And if not, I'll just become another jaded person with a day job.

But in any advent, I'm a person with a goal now. I've never had a goal that directed right into a career... so whether it's good or bad I got to do something and right now teaching is it. No more wavering... this is my path...

bananaphallus

found out
Local time
-->
I don't know If I could ever be happy doing 'one thing' professionally, for the rest of my life, I don't want a steady, predictable career. I've always had aspirations of becoming extraordinarily wealthy at a very young age, and spending the rest of my days wandering around the world being irresponsible, and committing lighthearted crimes, i.e. stealing priceless pieces of art/the rosetta stone. I'll let you know how this plan works out. If things aren't moving in the right direction by the time I'm 26, I may just buy a very small sailboat and drift out to sea. The [perceived?] rigidity of the modern American experience is frightening/infuriating to me, and I think my reluctance to make any forward progress in my life is related to this - given my tendency to procrastinate, I worry ten years will have passed and my life will still suck/be propped up by fanciful, somewhat childish ruminations. I want to be sure, or as sure I possibly can be, that the life I want for myself is somewhere down the road, and is a rational goal based in the reality I've begun to create for myself, as opposed to being the annoyingly reliable place of comfort in my mind I turn to when the monotony of my life as I know it gets to be unbearable.

I just want my life to be something different/a bit more original than college - job - promotion - a few acquisitions of note (house, car) - mid-life crisis - youth out of view - slow, forced march toward incontinence/senility. I don't want complaining about my job to a loved one to be what I look forward to.

Call it naivete or willful nescience if you like...

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
-->
Well I'm 42 and still stuck wondering what to do with my life. I've done a fair bit, changing carreers, being unemployed, some travel etc. I think INTPs are always looking for the elusive.

bananaphallus

found out
Local time
-->
Well I'm 42 and still stuck wondering what to do with my life. I've done a fair bit, changing carreers, being unemployed, some travel etc. I think INTPs are always looking for the elusive.

Do you think this 'desire for distinction' or originality is somewhat tempered by our propensity to undermine the seriousness of things, realizing just how utterly meaningless/affectatious most things are? Self-aware to the point of it being a detriment?

Jon C

The Open-Minded Skeptic
Local time
-->
Right now I am in my second year of college, pursuing a bachelors (or maybe masters) in marketing. Marketing was just always interesting to me. :smoker: Hopefully post-graduation I will be able to seek employment as a behind the scenes marketing manager who makes decisions and analyzes trends. In addition, I want to eventually publish a book. (Not a novel, but an educational book) It is tentatively titled "The Land of the Blind." I also want to continue to write articles and poetry online, and hopefully one day see that being profitable. But even if my writing doesn't turn profitable, I still plan to write on the side while pursuing my marketing career.

Local time
-->
straight up, i don't want no fucking 'career'

work my ass off to earn the right to wear a sodding suit, fuck that, i'd rather finger a baloney.

for me, i will be a great artist *valiant pose*....failing that, i just want something like...moving to the south of the USA and being a freelance jazz musician, something like that, i don't want money. but yeah, i want to be an artist.

ultimately i search for freedom, art (in any form) to me, when done right, is freedom.

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
-->
Do you think this 'desire for distinction' or originality is somewhat tempered by our propensity to undermine the seriousness of things, realizing just how utterly meaningless/affectatious most things are? Self-aware to the point of it being a detriment?

I think it is hard for INTPs to take things seriously. We've pondered the meaning of existence and it's hard to care about the mundane in comparison, duties of a job. We are meant to do different things with our lives. Unfortunately that makes it hard to get to a point where you get to do what you really want to do in most careers. The best career type jobs require "climbing the ladder".

Soth probably has the best idea. If he can make it work.

Tyria

Ryuusa bakuryuu
Local time
-->
Something that I enjoy going to every morning and has plenty of perks. Having large windows with lots of plants and birds around too.

Tempestas

who purgatoried their torsos night after night wi
Local time
-->
I'm still in Jr. High, but (at the moment, anyway) I'm thinking of doing something for a Sci-fi TV show. *cough* Doctor Who *cough* preferably. But I'm torn between positions: I could write, design costumes, design the sets- all of the creative parts of it. I think writing seem to be the best right now- and not the dialougue or anything specific like that, but the overall plot.

I don't have a clue how a TV show is made. Bear with me here.

The problem is, it seems (I do not know for sure if this is correct) that most colleges are either left-brain oriented (math and the sciences) or right-brain oriented (the arts). I want to take writing courses and physics/astonomy. The only place I have found so far are the Claremont Colleges in Southern CA, which is composed of a few colleges and they let you attend courses at all of them.

Does anyone know of other good colleges that cover those things? That would be awesome. :D

sheepie

one of the sheeple
Local time
Today 7:17 PM
-->
I hope to become a pilot in the defence force.
There's a massive process to that end and I want to take the hardest one because I come out with a degree at the end and I like learning, especially physics.
I have started the application process actually, in March this year, and if all goes to plan I will commence at ADFA in January 2011.
If all goes to plan.
I have aircrew testing on the 24th November.

Enne

Consistently Inconsistent
Local time
-->
Am a few months off from being a mechanical engineer. The end game is too expansive and ambitious to say.

Andy

Local time
-->
Working with numbers is boring and would drive me completely insane so engineer, accountant, banker etc is out of the question. I have no respect for laws and rules and hate how they often go against common sense, so let's remove the lawyer possibility. I think the entire school system is ridiculous and a failed experiment, so no teaching for me. Medicine doesn't interest me. So what is left? Ah yeah, artist. Because we all know how much that pays.

Ashenstar

I'm your chauffeur with high
Local time
-->
I know exactly what I want to do.
I want to legally cut open dead people and see what's inside and figure out why/how they died.
The problem is I don't know how to get there.. so at the moment my classes are kind of aimless and probably pointless.

Reverse Transcriptase

"you're a poet whether you like it or not"
Local time
-->
I want to legally cut open dead people and see what's inside and figure out why/how they died.
The problem is I don't know how to get there.. so at the moment my classes are kind of aimless and probably pointless.
From watching Scrubs, I've learned that the way to get that job is to fail medical school and get demoted to working in the morgue.

SEPKA

What???
Local time
Today 4:17 PM
-->
I suggest I could put the coordinate here but then
Why not keep changing job as you see fit, rather than stick to one? Become a contract worker/researcher perhap? Or sit home and throw out random painting/book/music. I have small experience in the working world (but I did work for a short time) so I might not be able to tell the feasibility of the plan, but there is a famous guy who are famous for juggling job and is good.
As for me, I was always lured to the dark side, but if I want to avoid the annoying legal stuff I will probably end up being a cryptanalysis.

Enne

Local time
-->
Can't I just be a student all my life? You know, without all those pesky bills, and pesky teachers, and pesky fellow students? No? Fine.

I want to be a millionaire so I can study anything I want and travel anywhere I want and visit all the libraries and museums, and art exhibits I possibly can!

No?

Fine. I'll settle for college professor. I won't have money but I could be one of those crazy profs you hear about or may have had. I'll mutter to myself while wandering around campus and leap out at students from behind bushes and demand they answer my weird questions. I'll have a fedora as well. It just won't work without a fedora.

The academic director for my engineering program is like that. He did that to me once. The thing is, I'm the only one who catches him when he's being weird, so my peers and the undergraduate secretaries and even my friends don't believe me! What the hell!

Ashenstar

Local time
-->

Enne

Local time
-->
From watching Scrubs, I've learned that the way to get that job is to fail medical school and get demoted to working in the morgue.

They're interns. They're done with medical school. He gets 'demoted' / forced into the specialization because he's so careless and bad with patients.

Vrecknidj

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
From 1983 to 1986 I worked at a hospital. For a while I was a phlebotomist, but I was pulled into the dark recesses of the spooky labs by the local pathologist because of my ability to follow directions perfectly. He needed someone to stain slides and do some of the very meticulous work that needed to be done in pathology and cytology.

For a couple years in there, I got to spend time helping him with autopsies, holding body parts while he did this or that thing to the body. It was a weird and kinda cool job.

You want a medical degree with a specialization in pathology. Maybe tying it into criminal justice and going for something like a medical examiner position.

Excellent money, fulfilling work, a chance to be confronted with very good challenges, and the ability to spend a lot of time alone or with very small groups.

Sounds ideal for an INTP.

Dave

Ashenstar

Local time
-->
From 1983 to 1986 I worked at a hospital. For a while I was a phlebotomist, but I was pulled into the dark recesses of the spooky labs by the local pathologist because of my ability to follow directions perfectly. He needed someone to stain slides and do some of the very meticulous work that needed to be done in pathology and cytology.

For a couple years in there, I got to spend time helping him with autopsies, holding body parts while he did this or that thing to the body. It was a weird and kinda cool job.

You want a medical degree with a specialization in pathology. Maybe tying it into criminal justice and going for something like a medical examiner position.

Excellent money, fulfilling work, a chance to be confronted with very good challenges, and the ability to spend a lot of time alone or with very small groups.

Sounds ideal for an INTP.

Dave

People do look at me funny when I tell them what I want to do, but I honestly think it sounds like good quiet work.
I have a friend who gets to help with autopsies and the removal of the organs. He then passes on the organs to the pathologist who does a more thorough dissection of the organs themselves. My friend actually has no degree.. which I find strange.. but he gets to do the "dirty" work. His job is actually quite a bit more hands on than the pathologist's it seems. I like hands on work though, but the pathologist gets paid better.
Thank you for the advice though. It's humorous how many people who should be able to tell me how to get to my goal have absolutely no clue.

Annablueblue

Local time
-->
Something in science?? You could conduct research, which could limit your social interaction but I'm not sure what the income is. I feel that a good basis in science leaves you open for many avenues, but you should choose something you feel compelled to learn about.
I have jumped around so much I am probably the last person you should listen to. Once I've mastered something, my attention wavers so I end up going back to school...*twice*

Have you thought about pathology?
I would recommend a student visit to a hospital morgue before jumping in. I work in a hospital and some of the things you see are shocking at first; you do build a resistance to shock over time though.

Top Bottom