• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

What's your occupation?

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
Today 8:01 AM
-->
Just curious as to how life plays out for INTP's, if you're a student like I am, tell me what you would like to do instead. I have absolutely no idea, I'm moving to Paris to study philosophy as a method for putting off having to make a decision. Plus it sounds cool when I say it. Makes people go "ooooh", although it probably won't impress fellow INTP's that much :D such a cliché it's disgusting. Anyway, yadda yadda ramble, answer the question.

ProxyAmenRa

Here to bring back the love!
Local time
Today 6:01 PM
-->
INTJ here.

Engineering PhD student (closer to applied mathematics than engineering) and data analyst (short-term contracts).

lenh

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I'm studying machanical engineering. And I think I will regret this decision later, too much sensors.
Any Mechanic engineer around here?

Vrecknidj

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 4:01 AM
-->
I presently have 6 employers, I had 7 a few weeks ago. They are (the 7th listed last)...

1) Camp director at a private school's summer camp
2) Professor of medical and professional ethics at a large university
3) Instructor in the school of professional studies at a small, private university
4) Union organizer for two locals (soon to be three)
5) Editor for a large third-party publisher in the RPG field
6) Consultant for a major research company
7) Consultant and instructor at a public school system's alternative education program

My MA is in philosophy, my BA is in philosophy with additional emphases in mathematics and religion, I also have about 70 credits of science at the undergraduate level.

I have taught university-level courses in English, mathematics, philosophy, ethics and economics for about 20 years.

ApostateAbe

Banned
Local time
Today 3:01 AM
-->
Philosophy? You get to think about how poor you are. Get used to that joke.

I am in the business of land surveying.

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Well, my official occupation is panty dropper but I also do some freelance writing.

SpaceYeti

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 2:01 AM
-->
I'm in the Army. I know very few people who if you told them you study philosophy would be impressed. I would suggest doing a job that's actually useful. By "useful", I mean it pays your bills. As a philosophy major, what do you plan on doing? Teaching philosophy? Writing books? If you plan on anything else, include living in a box in the plan. Hell, you may be able to afford two boxes if you do both. If you're gonna write books, major in literature or something related to books, and write novels where the main character has no personality and he/she has to choose between two ideal, yet opposed, lovers. If you want to teach, teach a class that will have students... like sociology or art.

Yeah... No, Philosophy doesn't impress people unless the people you're trying to impress are shallow twits.

Actually, now that I think about it, I once picked up a chick at a bar by telling her about how Socrates is my hero. I almost forgot about that. I hardly ever go to bars or pick up chicks, though. Well, never pick chicks up any more. Way to get off topic, me!

You get my point, though! Philosophy, while fun, isn't worth paying for.

SLushhYYY

Local time
-->
Electrical Engineering student with a planned attempt to minor in mathematics.

I'm trying to invent something revolutionary as I go along, or at least get involved with the next big thing.

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
-->
I'm in the Army. I know very few people who if you told them you study philosophy would be impressed. I would suggest doing a job that's actually useful. By "useful", I mean it pays your bills. As a philosophy major, what do you plan on doing? Teaching philosophy? Writing books? If you plan on anything else, include living in a box in the plan. Hell, you may be able to afford two boxes if you do both. If you're gonna write books, major in literature or something related to books, and write novels where the main character has no personality and he/she has to choose between two ideal, yet opposed, lovers. If you want to teach, teach a class that will have students... like sociology or art..

As stated in the title, I have no plans as of yet, it's just kind of putting off working and making real choices. Plus for some reason I'm good at it.

Hate the idea of being a teacher. With a passion.

definetly looking forward to the luxury of my two cardboard boxes :D

RedN

Local time
-->
Im the IT Manager here. 90% of my work time is spent programming in PHP though...

since my ehm.... 'radical change' im starting to wonder if i should quit my job and become a bartender or a waitress at a diner?

Chronomar

NOPE
Local time
-->
I am majoring in biology and chemistry, minoring in philosophy and picking up credits in law, perhaps not enough to cobble together a minor though. I plan on becoming a researcher/inventor/whatever. In general I'd like to do things, and learn stuff.

During the school year part of the year I make my money in three jobs, one where I am an assistant in enforcing government safety codes for laboratory and food service protocol, one in which I prep lab equipment and dispose of hazardous waste, and one in which I am a lab TA, grading papers and making sure the students don't set things on fire when they're not supposed to.

During the summer I work part time as a janitor, at an urban farm (as a volunteer), and am currently seeking more employment. I am not pressed for cash now, due to scholarships and the like, but you never know, so I'd like to save as much as possible.

I actually find working fun, though I prefer the jobs where I can use my brain rather than a toilet brush...(a shout out to anyone who just throws stuff on the ground in their workplace, or pukes in the toilet and then doesn't even bother to flush it: Fuck. You. :evil: )

I think people forget how useful philosophy can be in synthesizing ideas.
There have been sociological studies which find that having a philosophy background along with skills another field makes the induvidual over all happier, and better at whatever field they are working in.

While I wouldn't choose to major in it without another major, the kind of nuanced higher order thinking that comes with doing philosophy correctly simply improves thinking ability, period.

SpaceYeti

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Im the IT Manager here. 90% of my work time is spent programming in PHP though...

since my ehm.... 'radical change' im starting to wonder if i should quit my job and become a bartender or a waitress at a diner?
I'll bite; What "radical change"?

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
-->
I'm studying machanical engineering. And I think I will regret this decision later, too much sensors.
Any Mechanic engineer around here?
My internal statistics disagree. Most mech engineer students i've met are intuitives. I go around talking to random people on a daily basis so my sample is pretty decent. Most are also introverts. What makes them "sensors" to you?

As stated in the title, I have no plans as of yet, it's just kind of putting off working and making real choices. Plus for some reason I'm good at it.

Hate the idea of being a teacher. With a passion.

definetly looking forward to the luxury of my two cardboard boxes :D

Philosophy is something you do by yourself. The thought of "learning" philosophy....man, makes me cringe.

NinjaSurfer

Banned
Local time
Today 1:01 AM
-->
trolling for random writing jobs on oDesk.com

:cat:

Vrecknidj

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I would suggest doing a job that's actually useful. By "useful", I mean it pays your bills.
I agree.
No, Philosophy doesn't impress people unless the people you're trying to impress are shallow twits.
1) He doesn't need to impress anyone. 2) One doesn't have to be a shallow twit to be impressed by someone else, philosopher or otherwise.
Philosophy, while fun, isn't worth paying for.
The value of the good or service depends rather heavily upon the purchaser. Others may value buying credits in philosophy differently than you do.

All of that said, I agree most absolutely that people seeking to major in philosophy without any other plans for income are putting themselves in a seriously dangerous situation. I, for one, find the philosophy major to be an excellent second major or an excellent major if the aim is to obtain a graduate degree.

Dave

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->
My internal statistics disagree. Most mech engineer students i've met are intuitives. I go around talking to random people on a daily basis so my sample is pretty decent. Most are also introverts. What makes them "sensors" to you?

In 20 years of product development every mechanical engineer I've worked with (a lot) have been strong Sensors. I noticed a similar trend when I was in school, but I wasn't around that mechanical engineers back then. Interestingly, in my sampling the mechanical engineers are the most likely to work to retire early. My impression was that this was because their jobs become simply pushing the CAD programs to try and fit stuff together. Get's a little boring I guess.

I'm a software engineer. I love what I do - as a field - but I agonize about my daily work like any INTP. I suspect it's built into how we operate. However I love computers and messing around with them, but I do wish I could move on to another job from my presently cushy position. Golden handcuffs.

MichiganJFrog

Rupert Pupkin's stalker
Local time
-->
What I do currently: corporate librarian and library science student.

What I have done:

• Public librarian
  • Academic librarian
  • Ice cream truck driver
  • Dog walker
  • Reporter
  • Editor
  • Courier
  • Musician
  • Record store clerk
  • Pizza restaurant cashier
  • Temp

What I'd like to do: write fiction or narrative non-fiction.

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 9:01 PM
-->
Currently: Cross-country skiing/outdoor equipment sales person/manager and casual inland fisheries scientific field-technician to support a degree in enviro science.

Previously (before realising it was ok to be a female introverted thinker-type):

-Project manager for government-supported initiative (local politics, argh)

-Registered dental hygienist for over ten years (mistake; thought I could condition myself to be a people person, before admitting I was only too interested in the scientific aspect)

-Bar-attendant (supporting studies)

-Waiter (supporting studies)

-Kitchen hand

-Room attendant

-Teaching assistant at primary level :eek:

RedN

Local time
-->
I'll bite; What "radical change"?

ill skip on some details but im taking some meds thats altering my personality as a side effect?

in the sense like making me more extro, sociable, just... different hahahahaha.

i used to be happy all boxed up in my room there surrounded by hardware... now i feel bored of it... like i wanna see people. back then i hated seeing people... its just radical... oh im more emotional now too, when back then im like ice. like a robot, now i feel alive!

lenh

Redshirt
Local time
-->

Sorry, I expressed myself wrong. That is a theory. I think they are. But I may be wrong.
But when I think of my future work as a mech engineer, I think about material resistance, material science, "fixing" mechanical stuff (I don't have the word in english). Maybe in projects would be maybe a place for a intuitive, but otherwise I don't see much options.

Of course I still have no experience, but I can't help to not think about this.

Affinity

Local time
-->
Currently doing rail service for a mass transit company whilst working on a CS degree. I have done fast food, restaurants, fix cars, sling hot dogs, customer service, tech support, IT help desk, delivery, photography, and some other weird shit I'm sure.

My advice since I was recently in the same boat as you is to give it some time (6-12 months) to make sure it is what you want to do.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
-->

xbox

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 9:01 PM
-->
headless gummybear

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
Re: Philosophy & occupation?

Hey thanks for this! looks like I may have a future after all. My favourite so far has been MichiganJfrog's career path.
I obtained that link when I met a philosophy major who was gainfully employed and promised to send me that link after I told him I knew people on this board. He did.

Caution. Notice the date says "2007."

MichiganJFrog

Rupert Pupkin's stalker
Local time
-->

Hey thanks for this! looks like I may have a future after all. My favourite so far has been MichiganJfrog's career path.

Thanks. I left out "snow shoveler" and "landscaper." It's really just the whole "multiple revenue stream" concept writ large. I met someone cool, or at least interesting, at every job.

Vrecknidj

Prolific Member
Local time
-->

"I think, therefore I earn
Philosophy graduates are suddenly all the rage with employers. What can they possibly have to offer?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2007/nov/20/choosingadegree.highereducation
That article is dated about a year before the financial crises drove the world into a credit lock and the US started cutting a half million jobs a month (and from which we're nowhere close to recovering).

I wonder how the statistics in the article have fared?

Dave

HDINTP

Local time
Today 9:01 AM
-->
I study Economy but i don't like it that much nevertheless still can't say i hate it after that i will probably study Biology, yet i don't know what i am gonna do after i finish my studies. I will get my doctorate and see but maybe i am just gonna teach biology don't know yet...

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
-->
You folks need vision. Would it be ok if I dictate your lives for you? :D

Beholder

What for?
Local time
Today 10:01 AM
-->
A philosophy degree has trained the individual's brain and given them the ability to provide management-consulting firms with the sort of skills that they require and clients demand. These skills can include the ability to be very analytical, provide clear and innovative thinking, and question assumptions.

I wish just being an INTP was equivalent to being a philosophy major... I really can't imagine learning anything new from studying philosophy, but then, I've never studied it, so what do I know?
I currently work as a bartender in a restaurant, but there's actually very little interaction with people involved, so I like it, plus I get tips...
I'm saving up now to travel the world, and next year or the year after that I plan to start studying. I really don't know what I want to study yet, but my goal is to either create a new form of life - be it biological, silicone based, or other, and/or to upload my brain to a computer (the latter is of utmost importance - I don't want to die).
Anyone have any ideas about what I should study in order to advance me towards those goals?

Ninjamanda

Gunslinger
Local time
-->
I am an assistant manager at a Japanese Steak House and Sushi Bar.

I wouldn't go into hospitality if you don't like people. It sucks, I hate it but the money is great. I bartend five days a week. It gets tiring and I have to deal with a lot of creeps and jerks.

I have some great customers and it is good to get you out of your shell.

I had really bad social anxiety until I got into serving and bartending.

But its degrading and you should avoid it if you can.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Systems/Requirements analyst.

Actually, it's a pretty appropriate occupation in the IT career line. Kind of bored with it, though, I'm just not much interested in the types of systems (disability claims processing) I'm working on right now.

i used to be happy all boxed up in my room there surrounded by hardware... now i feel bored of it... like i wanna see people. back then i hated seeing people... its just radical... oh im more emotional now too, when back then im like ice. like a robot, now i feel alive!

yes, that's the other reason I'm bored.

At one point in my life, when I was very depressed and anxious, being in a room of wires and monitors made me happy. Now it bores me, since I'm not depressed; I enjoy more human interaction than I used to, even if it still does drain me. People are more complex and interesting than the predictable computers, and at their best they talk back and present new ideas.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
It's degrading? How?
I used to be a computer engineer. I found it degrading because I didn't like what the computers were doing behind the scenes ... so inhuman. Now I'm a scrounger. I occupy myself picking up things along the side of the road. I love my job because its so involved with humanity.

In the last month I've picked up many plastic containers all used and mostly scrunched, broken straws, smashed glass, rotting garbage, lots of mailers, prophylactics. Every once in a while I encounter DVDs but I throw those away. They remind me of computer input/output. It's a real joy to find something I don't know what it is. Must be the challenge. Last time I found something it smelled so bad I could still smell it through the sealed plastic bag.

Anyone share my interest?

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
-->
I wish just being an INTP was equivalent to being a philosophy major... I really can't imagine learning anything new from studying philosophy, but then, I've never studied it, so what do I know?
The most cardinal content of conventional philosophy, imo, is the study of one interesting symbolical method of externalizing/concretizing your personal and already intuitive notion of "order": Logic. The rest are better achieved via self-reflection, because you skip to the good parts, ignoring arbitrary names that might have historically attached themselves to the ideas. Plus, you actually think, and not just interpret or memorize something that is written or spoken.

...I'm a bum btw.

Ninjamanda

Gunslinger
Local time
-->
Being a server or bartending is totally dregrading haha. I have people treat me like I am a slave. I'll have people tell me that they want me to act a certain way or its going to alter my tip. I used to bow down but now I can't do it anymore.

You have to have a high tolerance for bull shit when you are a server.

Having a job where ignorant jerks are in charge of what you make is the worst.

It's probably why most people in the service industry are alcoholics and pot heads haha.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->
People are more complex and interesting than the predictable computers, and at their best they talk back and present new ideas.

Funny, I find computers less predictable than people for the most part. I'd love it for somebody I know to do something really unpredictable. So far they disappoint. Worse, when I talk about doing something unusual (quitting my job of 18 years and striking out on my own; moving to a different city, dressing up while everybody else dresses down) they tell me I'm weird and shouldn't do it.

Beholder

What for?
Local time
Today 10:01 AM
-->
The most cardinal content of conventional philosophy, imo, is the study of one interesting symbolical method of externalizing/concretizing your personal and already intuitive notion of "order": Logic. The rest are better achieved via self-reflection, because you skip to the good parts, ignoring arbitrary names that might have historically attached themselves to the ideas. Plus, you actually think, and not just interpret or memorize something that is written or spoken.

Exactly! And this is why I refuse to study philosophy.

Vrecknidj

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
In the last month I've picked up many plastic containers all used and mostly scrunched, broken straws, smashed glass, rotting garbage, lots of mailers, prophylactics. Every once in a while I encounter DVDs but I throw those away. They remind me of computer input/output. It's a real joy to find something I don't know what it is. Must be the challenge. Last time I found something it smelled so bad I could still smell it through the sealed plastic bag.

Anyone share my interest?
Not really. No. Enjoy the trash!

Dave

nanook

a scream in a vortex
Local time
-->
You folks need vision. Would it be ok if I dictate your lives for you? :D
i always hoped, someone could do that for me. it would have to be someone who knows how to do the impossible though. because this world rejects me, an i'm not a pretender (zero acting talent - or willingness).

hell, i went into trance, to find a spirit guide. but the voices don't know shit.

sheepie

one of the sheeple
Local time
Today 7:01 PM
-->
I'm a student as you know doing a Math degree. Ideally completing a Info Security Masters, that's the plan at least right now. No Financial crap and no Calculus, for some reason everyone who lectures Calculus at my Uni is freaking insane. Also no statistics because you have to wade though so much crap to get to the interesting shit and everybody thinks you a lying little company puppet freak in the end anyway unless of course you doing research for minimum wage.

Tetr

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I'm taking a masters in teaching math and chemistry. I love to teach, though I'm not sure working at a high school is for me. May pursue a doctorate in education, as I find that more compelling than specialising in any pure science.

Although I wish I never stopped learning web design and programming as a teenager and gone for computer science.

Milo

Brain Programmer
Local time
-->
I also have no idea what I want to do! I feel like a degree isn't as useful nowadays either since we have the internet and can learn just as much from it. School does not offer much more to me. (I've actually learned more things online than from any class, as I'm sure most of you agree with our obsession with reading articles).

Part of me actually want's to be a therapist though, but school would be a nightmare for me. I can't focus on one thing for too long because I tangent off so much and start to learn about other things, or I get to caught up in all of the details. Being a perfectionist is painful in the academic world especially for me. I also can't sit for too long without having to get up and do something active.

I need a job that allows me to help others and be creative while not having to sit for too long or have me writing papers or doing math all day. Money isn't even a big deal to me! The most important thing is to have a job that is helpful to individuals or a community. I am extremely frugal and am just as happy as any rich guy, maybe more so since I don't have a stressful job. :)

Top Bottom