• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Why Do xNTPs Online..

virtualinsanity

Jamiroquai
Local time
Today 7:47 PM
-->
I've noticed that a lot of E/INTPs online feel the need to act immature and insulting in order to prove themselves.

I have a few logical/analytical friends who make judgments that way but they don't act rude, immature, and troll-like all over the internet. That is not required in order to be an xNTP. All you need is Ti/Ne-Ne/Ti. You only make yourselves look more suspect. It comes across as insecure and desperate to let everyone know you're the cold geniuses of the bunch. I often wonder if the ones that come across this way are really feelers who are extremely ashamed of their sensitivities. I tend to wonder if a lot of xNTPs online are mistyped, people stuck in their egotistical selves instead of chilling out and living life as they were prior to discovering MBTI.

These types of "xNTPS" remind me of the "unbothered" folk in society. :D

It gets really frustrating to meet an xNTP online and look forward to discussing deep, analytical things with them. Then, half way through the conversation, you can tell they're trying to be as logical as they can and they start using BIG words that don't even make any sense together just to seem smart. It begins to go full out cringe when they begin to slap a bunch of random things together because they feel the need to prove they're "abstract as hell," too. As someone who appreciates natural conversation, this is frustrating. Maybe this is underdeveloped Fe but I just think it's a sign of atype of immaturity, altogether which is found in ALL humans. (MBTI doesn't matter in this case.) It's a general characteristic immature people tend to share.

Creeping Death

Consigliere
Local time
Today 12:47 PM
-->
We are the cool geniuses of the internet, and we need to let everyone know, especially if it results in burned bottoms and anguished anuses.

virtualinsanity

Jamiroquai
Local time
-->
We are the cool geniuses of the internet, and we need to let everyone know, especially if it results in burned bottoms and anguished anuses.

Well, considering that some of you believe in the Bible.. I can't say that I agree with you. I also watched some INTPs complain that they hate when others don't know what they're talking about. Yet, I've observed a lot of errors in the things they were on about, too. :rolleyes:

I just find xNTPs intriguing, mainly because I think some are full of crap.. and fail to recognize it as such. I get my kicks observing a lot of your tactics. However, it becomes lame during mature, analytical conversations.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
People thought I was INFJ for a long time because of all my prophecies. But then after Rixus mentioned how my avatar was Fi rather than Fe I realized after looking at all my avatars that I was INFP. Usually, intuition is what makes a type abstract. What really sticks out is people trying to be logical as in Ti and Te. When you think your xNTP you act what you think is logical. But F and T are bothe Rational functions (The judgment functions). Feeling types can be just as "logical" as thinking types because logic is confused with judgment. I am a rational type because Fi is my dominant function. I began thinking I was INTJ then INTP then INFJ and now I am INFP. Types that think they are INTP are usually N types or (J dom) types. That is like one-half of all types. :eek: The other types don't stick around long enough to flesh out pretending to be rational or abstract. Rational intuitive types that are immature think they are logical. I myself being male did not realize I was INFP. I thought I had to be logical or INFJ with Ti-Ni loop. But I now know I am just a rational intuitive. I do make logical arguments but I do so with Fi. My inferior is Te but I still think I can make good points in discussions.

Rixus

I introverted think. Therefore, I am.
Local time
-->
We apologise for the feelings of discombobulation you are experiencing as a result of our unusually extensive vocabularies used during discourse. It's usually unintentional. For the most part - it's fun. I'm unable to use any ling words in non-virtual environments because most people can't understand anything with more than a couple of syllables. As for when we get into bizarre conversations - we know what we're talking about. If you don't understand - perhaps you could simply refrain from joining​ the discussion. And it is rare that we childishly insult each other in a debate here - it may seem that way to an outside observer, but as most users a familiar with each other it becomes a form of friendly banter not unlike that displayed by most not XNTP groups. I don't see it as anything unusual or pertaining to our particular type.

virtualinsanity

Jamiroquai
Local time
-->
People thought I was INFJ for a long time because of all my prophecies. But then after Rixus mentioned how my avatar was Fi rather than Fe I realized after looking at all my avatars that I was INFP. Usually, intuition is what makes a type abstract. What really sticks out is people trying to be logical as in Ti and Te. When you think your xNTP you act what you think is logical. But F and T are bothe Rational functions (The judgment functions). Feeling types can be just as "logical" as thinking types because logic is confused with judgment. I am a rational type because Fi is my dominant function. I began thinking I was INTJ then INTP then INFJ and now I am INFP. Types that think they are INTP are usually N types or (J dom) types. That is like one-half of all types. :eek: The other types don't stick around long enough to flesh out pretending to be rational or abstract. Rational intuitive types that are immature think they are logical. I myself being male did not realize I was INFP. I thought I had to be logical or INFJ with Ti-Ni loop. But I now know I am just a rational intuitive. I do make logical arguments but I do so with Fi. My inferior is Te but I still think I can make good points in discussions.

I liked your reply. Although it didn't stick to the topic, entirely, I liked that you brought up rational vs logical. (..and the fact that Fi and Fe are still rational functions, as Jung called them.) Not many people bring that up, during discussions. I think most of the kind who claim to be xNTP who act immature are simply immature people who probably typed themselves based on their ego/immature ways. (..possible mistypes.)

I also admire that you're open to discovering yourself enough to not be closed out to being other types. I think a lot of NTs are very protective and defensive if you either call them a possible Feeler or Sensor. It speaks volumes, to me.

virtualinsanity

Jamiroquai
Local time
-->
We apologise for the feelings of discombobulation you are experiencing as a result of our unusually extensive vocabularies used during discourse. It's usually unintentional. For the most part - it's fun. I'm unable to use any ling words in non-virtual environments because most people can't understand anything with more than a couple of syllables. As for when we get into bizarre conversations - we know what we're talking about. If you don't understand - perhaps you could simply refrain from joining​ the discussion. And it is rare that we childishly insult each other in a debate here - it may seem that way to an outside observer, but as most users a familiar with each other it becomes a form of friendly banter not unlike that displayed by most not XNTP groups. I don't see it as anything unusual or pertaining to our particular type.

Well.. a few things here:

1. "Extensive vocabularies" are not the issue, here. I said, some xNTPS, (..and I use "some" very lightly as I'm open to the fact some could be mistyped) use big words together that don't make any sense in a sentence. I know how to use a dictionary, so even if I don't know a word, I'll still know whether it makes sense or not to use it after another word. If you have a wide vocabulary, more power to you as an individual. I tend towards a more straight-forward speech, where I'm sure I'm made clear.

2. It's not a matter of me understanding more than it is a matter of instinct and intuition. Although I'm not an xNTP, ( I really don't believe), I am an Intuitive Type. I speak the same way in conversations. However, I've talked to some xNTPS who throw random things into conversations, that when you get to the bottom of it, make no sense. I'm really good at picking things apart and I also ask tons of questions when I don't understand something. Secondly, I get the vibe they do it, simply to prove that they're xNTP. It "feels" lame. I know some xNTPs who are not obsessed with MBTI and they don't operate like that because they're not subconsciously influenced by "knowing" they're an xNTP. (As I think some are, online.)

3. I'm not talking about this forum. I'm talking about online, as a community. I am talking about Personality Cafe, Twitter, and in Facebook groups. I just joined this forum, so I have no opinion about anything here, yet. I get friendly banter. That's cool. I do that, too... but in my experience, on those other websites, some come across as very desperate to prove themselves as "thinkers." :p

Nebulous

Local time
Today 2:47 PM
-->
I have a hard time putting ideas / the understanding and connections I have into words.
Which makes it seem like I don't really understand things or as if I'm just putting things together in a messy way, trying to seem intelligent.
Ideally, I'd love to organize everything I write, have all the research and citations I need, etc.
It would take time, patience, effort and concentration to do that constantly though, and I'd probably just end up falling asleep. I have school as a priority right now too so eh.

I wish my posts were clear, insightful, coherent, impressive.. Perfect.
But I'm a jumbled mess.
Scribble on a piece of paper, add some blurry words and connect a couple dots; that's my mind.

virtualinsanity

Jamiroquai
Local time
-->
I have a hard time putting ideas / the understanding and connections I have into words.
Which makes it seem like I don't really understand things or as if I'm just putting things together in a messy way, trying to seem intelligent.
Ideally, I'd love to organize everything I write, have all the research and citations I need, etc.
It would take time, patience, effort and concentration to do that constantly though, and I'd probably just end up falling asleep. I have school as a priority right now too so eh.

I wish my posts were clear, insightful, coherent, impressive.. Perfect.
But I'm a jumbled mess.
Scribble on a piece of paper, add some blurry words and connect a couple dots; that's my mind.

I actually can relate to this ... I understand what you mean. Sometimes, I'll know what I'm talking about.. but am too lazy and impatient to go get the links, evidence, etc to "prove" where I got the info from.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Tomorrow 4:17 AM
-->
The role of contrarian is an easy one to fall into.

It's also kinda fun to experiment with where the line is socially. Particularly when you're younger, and you're trying the role out, this can lead to being a complete and utter asshole. But I think it's just a kinda developmental stage we go through.

I'm still habitually contrarian (albeit moreso in real life). I still tear people down for fun. I think the difference it that I tend to only do it when it's appropriate and fun for everyone. It's been a long while since I crossed the line into actually offending people (six monthsish).

Artsu Tharaz

The Lamb
Local time
Tomorrow 4:47 AM
-->
Animekitty said:
But then after Rixus mentioned how my avatar was Fi rather than Fe I realized after looking at all my avatars that I was INFP

Couldn't your avatars be representing your Anima though?

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
Couldn't your avatars be representing your Anima though?

Compared to your main type what type would your Anima's type be?
Do you and your Anima share the same Jungian Type?
And why do not all guys project their Anima?
Auburn projects his Anima but it is not like my Anima.
And this may have little to do with immature types thinking they are INTP.
(or maybe it does) How do immature types project themselves?

Artsu Tharaz

The Lamb
Local time
-->
Compared to your main type what type would your Anima's type be?
Do you and your Anima share the same Jungian Type?
And why do not all guys project their Anima?
Auburn projects his Anima but it is not like my Anima.
And this may have little to do with immature types thinking they are INTP.
(or maybe it does) How do immature types project themselves?

I think it would be the type that shares the same 4-function order with the orientations reversed, e.g. for INFJ it would be ENFP. People are different, they display different aspects of themselves and are in touch with themselves to varying degrees. An immature type is probably less in touch with their anima/animus.

AndyC

Hm?
Local time
-->
Not here, being surrounded by other types like in Personality Cafe evokes the need to project some sort of superiority their 'type' supposedly possesses and it's also easier to project it onto types that don't possess it. But here, it's not really the case, and most of those who are trying to project such are normally ignored anyways. People mistype as T's all the time (a lot like IQ) and are easily attached to the connotations of being one but to say all T's don't have a similar issue of needing confirmation would not be the case. Most people just want to belong to a group or get some confirmation, and type is dangerous because it doesn't confirm anything, yet people will believe it so anyways.

Niclmaki

Disturber of the Peace
Local time
-->
Speaking as an ENTP online, it's just fun being an asshole / not conforming or behaving as expect of you. And I mean it is reallyreally fun. It takes considerable willpower to be serious when it is expected. This is especially true in online games as an anonymous person playing with anonymous people.

ummidk

Local time
Today 1:47 PM
-->
As someone who believes the bible existed, I dismiss all of your thoughts

HDINTP

Local time
Today 8:47 PM
-->
I've noticed that a lot of E/INTPs online feel the need to act immature and insulting in order to prove themselves.

I have a few logical/analytical friends who make judgments that way but they don't act rude, immature, and troll-like all over the internet. That is not required in order to be an xNTP. All you need is Ti/Ne-Ne/Ti. You only make yourselves look more suspect. It comes across as insecure and desperate to let everyone know you're the cold geniuses of the bunch. I often wonder if the ones that come across this way are really feelers who are extremely ashamed of their sensitivities. I tend to wonder if a lot of xNTPs online are mistyped, people stuck in their egotistical selves instead of chilling out and living life as they were prior to discovering MBTI.

These types of "xNTPS" remind me of the "unbothered" folk in society. :D

It gets really frustrating to meet an xNTP online and look forward to discussing deep, analytical things with them. Then, half way through the conversation, you can tell they're trying to be as logical as they can and they start using BIG words that don't even make any sense together just to seem smart. It begins to go full out cringe when they begin to slap a bunch of random things together because they feel the need to prove they're "abstract as hell," too. As someone who appreciates natural conversation, this is frustrating. Maybe this is underdeveloped Fe but I just think it's a sign of atype of immaturity, altogether which is found in ALL humans. (MBTI doesn't matter in this case.) It's a general characteristic immature people tend to share.

If I were living my life as prior to discovering my MBTI type there would be still simmilarities only that I am not that confused nowadays...

I don't have to "try to be as logical as I can" willing to concentrate on that to show off. For Big Words I don´t really think so. You know one thing is just using words as they come and the other to make it "look good" on purpose. I believe XNTPs fall under first category here. I wondered myself about Big words in the past and came to the conclusion it is "Baseline of thought" something like way of usual level of expression for people like that. And yes it can get problematic when you have a conversation with people who's "Baseline" is far off/way to different compared to your's. Then you can get an impression that you describe in your post. Also you should consider that there are "many" XNTPs who have english as their 2+ languague which can make thinks complicated as well.

As for "abstract as hell" part - I would not say this holds necessarily true. Maybe that is just the way they operate and it makes perfect sense to them or do you truly believe that You are the one who knows best All/most of the time? :)

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
because im dead inside

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 7:47 AM
-->
This place has its own culture and it's not perfect but at least we don’t argue semantics as much as other INTP communities do.

If anyone wants to call me out for my bad behaviour by all means proceed I won't take offense and the feedback will give me something to consider.

HDINTP

Local time
Today 8:47 PM
-->

You are awesome

virtualinsanity

Jamiroquai
Local time
-->
LOL .. I believe several Bibles existed.. one with the Book Of Enoch, others, not so much..
I think some people online who type as xNTP use their bad behavior, alone to type themselves. If I were to do such a thing, I'd probably would have called myself an xNTP a few years ago because I was into trolling, simply because it was funny. (I still think getting reactions out of people is funny but I've learned to repress that side of me for the sake of harmony.) However, I don't call myself an xNTP because I don't believe I'm that. I just see this as an immature part of my personality. However, I feel like some people look up descriptions of xNTP and so many sites suggest antagonistic behavior that some feel the need to fulfill the stereotype. I feel the same with a couple of other personality types. If you're naturally that way prior to MBTI type, that's cool and everything. However, I get a "vibe" that some do it in order to live up to what they think others expect out of them.

It's annoying at first but then I just get over it. By the way -- my ideal mate would be ENTP. So, this isn't an xNTP bashing post. (Not that any of you would take offense to that, since you lack emotion and all.:p) .. I just wanted unique perspectives from the perceptions I get of people who claim these types and act these ways.

..and blah blah blah...etc etc..

Thanks for engaging. :rolleyes:

PS - I do tend towards thinking I'm right about everything.. but that's also the reason I start these types of discussions. I like to broaden my scope and understand xNTPs better... (..because I tend to judge those who claim to be your type and act the way they act, rather seriously/harshly.) I like to pick you guys apart and try to analyze you for some odd reason. I want it to develop into tolerance and understanding so I can learn to get in on the fun, instead of reading you guys wrong.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
...everyone starts somewhere, and some folks online are still teenagers. At one point in each of our histories, we didn't know a thing about typology.

I think I ran across MBTI in my mid 20's, and it was like one of those "lightning bolts" moments. Finally I realized my feelings of alienation in the subculture I was part of made sense; I was not weird, I was not wrong, I was not crazy (in that regard), basically I was actually operating on some consistent principles and it was just basically differing priorities in the kinds of things I perceived and how I evaluated life data that was making me different than the majority of the people in my environment.

Unfortunately along with that, I got really clingy for awhile to this newly realized concept and explanation for myself and talked about it too much, and was resistant to challenges. I was also dismissive of Feeler types at the time since I had felt dismissed by them my entire life and since my viewpoint was definitively "objective" (as I had always believed!), to the degree that another INTP called me insufferable. That was a wake-up call. I was still obviously insecure in some ways about it and felt a need to justify. I think it is a natural stage when you've felt defenseless for so long and now have the tools to defend and justify oneself. Plus one is tempted to conform even more to a particular category to "prove" they are that type. There's nothing wrong with spending some time there, because I think it's natural while the ego is trying to become substantial; but eventually you have to find some stability and move on rather than staying. Life is movement, not stagnancy. Once I got some personal footing, I adjusted again how I would perceive others and my attitudes became more expansive.

I think at some point I reached a place where I finally "knew myself" even the places where I don't squarely fit into a definition, and I don't feel the need to justify because who cares? The type label is necessarily less than the totality of who I am; it was only a tool to get me to a next level of self-awareness. if I would get irritated, it would only be from having someone else trying to pigeon-hole me based on limited understanding/awareness of me, but what in the end does it really matter anyway? Does it change who I am or the decisions I am going to make about my life? Do I need to impress someone as a given type? Not really.

Top Bottom