INTP Forum  

Go Back   INTP Forum > Within > Philosophy

Notices

Old 3rd-February-2018, 08:00 PM   #1
The Grey Man

linuxsafari
Default Awaiting Orders

I have spent five years camping in this forest of half-measures, awaiting orders. I have no intelligence on the enemy's disposition, capability, or intent; indeed, I cannot even be sure that there is an enemy. With each day the adversary remains hidden behind a veil of uncertainty, time takes some of my strength in passing. People come with messages, from headquarters they say. Imposters. Deceivers. Their severed heads adorn an endless succession of abandoned bivouacs. To obey them is treachery; to obey my commander is duty. I am your loyal soldier. Do not let me perish in this forest, having never fired my weapon in anger. I await your orders.
The Grey Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th-February-2018, 02:09 AM   #2
higs
I must not tell lies.

linuxubuntufirefox
Default Re: Awaiting Orders

Maximise the good.
Old 4th-February-2018, 04:05 AM   #3
Animekitty
The Cybernetic Dreamtime is Near

windows_98_nt_2000safari

AMV - Two Hearts - Bestamvsofalltime Anime MV ♫

Spoiler:
Animekitty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th-February-2018, 05:01 AM   #4
Adaire
Madspinistrator

windows_98_nt_2000safari

I don't get what you're saiyan.
Adaire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th-February-2018, 07:15 PM   #5
elliptoid
eccentric

windows_98_nt_2000safari

You'll be waiting a long time on that channel sailor better switch frequencies.
Time for a long march with little food hopefully you brought your cigarettes.

You have to try every key in every lock or you'll never reach the top shelf of the water tower.
elliptoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th-February-2018, 07:43 PM   #6
Animekitty
The Cybernetic Dreamtime is Near

windows_98_nt_2000safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaire View Post
I don't get what you're saiyan.
The power inside will awaken. We know what will happen next. No doubts, only certainty.

AMV - Two Hearts - Bestamvsofalltime Anime MV ♫

Spoiler:
Animekitty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th-February-2018, 12:17 AM   #7
The Grey Man

linuxsafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by higs View Post
Maximise the good.
Such a prompt and succinct answer to the question I have been asking: what is my duty? To maximize the good, yes, I agree, but this is tautologous wheel-spinning, is it not? For what is duty but that which it is better to do than not to do, and so what in doing entirely, wholly, and perfectly, we increase the good to the maximum extent that we are capable?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7MG27BKwjaI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animekitty View Post
Power and certainty, yes! It is my greatest wish to, like the ideal of the christian crusader whose twofold armour protected him against both satanic temptation and mundane weapons, partake in a will of some puissance with the knowledge that it is oriented to serve the good.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...e-Heraldry.svg

But is such knowledge of duty possible for humans? No. The answer is no. A thousand times no. And yet this negative answer expresses only a conviction of mine which may be swept away the same way it was established: by persistent investigation. My last stronghold as a soldier of truth is my own ignorance; my weapon is the same as it's ever been: a double-edged sword of skepticism and the obstinate refusal to accept that I have no moral agency. Will the decisive theatre be this purgatory of tension between skepticism and the absurd desire to partake in what may be a chimerical sort of universal benevolence, or will the power inside awaken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliptoid View Post
You'll be waiting a long time on that channel sailor better switch frequencies.
Time for a long march with little food hopefully you brought your cigarettes.

You have to try every key in every lock or you'll never reach the top shelf of the water tower.
The water at its source has not yet been corrupted by contact with the intermediate vessels through which it passes before one partakes in it. Knowledge has the distinction of being both the thing that is partaken in and the thing that partakes. The knowledge that is pure must be held in a pure mind. But what is purity of the mind? Catholicity of the understanding? Is this every key...?

Incidentally, I just tried a cigarette for the first time in about two years in the company of coworkers. I can't say I enjoyed it.
Old 13th-February-2018, 02:58 AM   #8
The Grey Man

linuxsafari

From https://www.intpforum.com/showthread.php?t=27069:

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3nge View Post
I think what I've found is that when we can't find meaning in life, what we are really missing is purpose. I realize that purpose is an over dramatized buzzword, but what I mean when I use it is this: the north star that we use to provide direction in order us to move from our current coordinates on the plane of life, towards an intersection of balance (0,0) where our interest, strengths, and knowledge converge into a pursuit that not only enriches and recharges us, but that also provides a benefit to society.
I see this as a clever reminder that however well-intentioned one's pursuits, one may not do as much good in them as if one had chosen other pursuits which were lesser in their potential to increase the good assuming sufficient talent, but better suited to one's actual talents, which may be sufficient or not to realize the full potential (to increase the good) of any given pursuit. Conversely, a pursuit that is perfectly suited to one's talents may yet have very little potential to do good in comparison to another, even if the latter was ill-suited.

I cannot speak for the gentleman to whom v3nge's post was addressed and have no wish to derail his thread, so I have chosen to express here my own reservation about adopting the practise of selecting those pursuits the product of whose potential to increase the good (in hedons) and the proportion of this I can expect to realize given the best appreciation of my talents (unitless) is higher than that of every alternative.

My reservation is this: that I do not know of a sound theory of in what way one can increase the good due to the phenomenal nature of the good and our lack of understanding of under what conditions different kinds of phenomena arise and how they relate to and influence each other, let alone the faintest idea how this understanding might be exploited strategically, though progress is being made (Integrated Information Theory and the work of David Chalmers et al come to mind- I feel the idea of an identity between consciousness and information will- heck, is already proving to be extremely fruitful and will revolutionize ethics).

In short: I lack a theory of duty, of purpose, of what one ought to do (where "what one ought to do" should be taken as meaning, "what one will do, if he is to increase the good to the maximum extent of which he is capable", not as some imaginary "prescriptive" counterpart of is/will). v3nge, you said that purpose is an over-dramatized buzzword. This may be so, but I can assure anyone who cares to know that in Canada, one can be forgiven for thinking that duty is a rude word, so seldom is it heard except in pompous lip-service to the nominal ideals of an institution polluted by perfidious, materialistic scoundrels and every other sort of degenerate unbeliever whose natural habitat is this perniciously permissive period of "tolerance" that we call postmodernity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3nge View Post
Understand that there is meaning in life, even if it is just in figuring out what the meaning is.
How very true! That duty is possible is sufficient reason to treat it as if it exists, enduring every pain, exhaust every resource in search of it, for to serve the good, if we are truly capable of doing so, demands no less (and one who does not desire to serve the good insofar as he is capable...well, this is the definition of evil, is it not? It is the anti-benevolence). There are days when I would like to put to the sword every heathen who denies this doctrine. Gott mit uns!

Spoiler:
Relax, I'm not a Nazi.
Old 13th-February-2018, 02:18 PM   #9
v3nge

windows_98_nt_2000safari

One ought to do what one wants to do. Provided it is actually what one wants to do. True purposefulness plays out in the long game. The choices I make for today are not my choices at all, but the choices of the human condition. Seek to maximize meaning, not pleasure.
v3nge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th-February-2018, 05:09 PM   #10
The Grey Man

windows_98_nt_2000mozilla

Why should one seek to maximize per se anything other than pleasure? Pleasure per se is its own reward, and what is its own reward is pleasure, or I've misunderstood what the word pleasure means. What reason is there for prioritizing doing what one wants to do over doing what will produce the highest utility among all conscious beings excepting ignorance and egoistic negligence?
Old 13th-February-2018, 06:24 PM   #11
v3nge

windows_98_nt_2000safari

The difference is short-term pleasure vs long-term pleasure. Shooting up as much H as possible will certainly maximize your short-term pleasure, but within a few minutes your breathing will slowly start to shallow until it becomes what they call the death rattle, as you experience respiratory depression. Then either you will be lucky and someone will jab some Narcan into you, or you will die. Either way, the outcome is greater displeasure.

You are right, pleasure is the ultimate reward. I should have specified that I was talking about short-term pleasure.

Doing what one actually wants (with the goal of maximizing long-term pleasure) is the same as producing the highest utility for all beings. Here's why:

1. If you are doing something that you don't want to do (even if it produces more short-term utility) you will burn out very rapidly. Thus, to produce the greatest amount of utility, you must be doing something that you enjoy.

2. Focusing on long-term pleasure, you are taking into account the pleasure (or utility) that you produce for others.

For example, when a business makes a decision, it must take into account who it will affect. Yes, drilling oil on a Native American reservation may increase the return to the share holders within the span of a year or two. However, in a decade that decision will prove ROI negative, because people no longer want to buy oil from that company. In the span of 50 years, it is even more ROI negative when the company is dissolved and the share holders are working in factories because we depleted our natural resources and China took over as worlds the leader in GDP. (Not that I believe this would happen, but just for the sake of making a point).
Old 13th-February-2018, 06:59 PM   #12
The Grey Man

windows_98_nt_2000mozilla

Understood, thank you for clarifying.
Old 13th-February-2018, 07:23 PM   #13
v3nge

windows_98_nt_2000safari

To further answer your question of what one ought to do, I have a sort of equation I've made up for finding one's purpose. Because, I believe most people don't actually know what they really want to do.

The first variable is the archetypal function one has in society. Archetypes are born of evolutionary need, and thus each archetype has a role in society, I believe. The dominant function decides how a person makes conclusions and the auxiliary function determines what one does with that conclusion. So, if you are an INTP, then your role in society is to analyze logical information (Ti) and compile it into overarching structures, systems, or ideas (Ne). This is why INTPs make good programmers, philosophers, etc.

Knowing this, you take your function (building systems, roughly speaking) add your interests or passions, add your strengths and subjects you have deep knowledge of, and subtract your weaknesses (speaking in front of people, sympathizing, etc.)

This should give you some very specific answers to the question of "What should I be doing?"