• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

16 types, 16 smiles: The way thinking and feeling functions effect the smile.

Adymus

Banned
Local time
Today 10:56 AM
-->
Cheese and I were talking about this on IRC, and it got me thinking about how much of a sweet thread it would make.

I'm going to let you guys in on something right out of the bag of tricks I use to read people's types. There is a really quick and easy way to tell if someone is a T or an F, and that is through their smile. Not necessarily their smile alone, but the expressive dexterity that they have over their face.

Rule of thumb:
The higher one's feeling function is, the more of their face it will take up.

Feeling always begins at the mouth, and the higher your feeling is in your hierarchy of cognitive processes, the higher it will go into your face. So for a Dominant feeling type (ENFJ, ESFJ, ISFP, INFP), their smile will go all the way up to the eyes. For a Dominant thinking type (or inferior feeling type: INTP, ISTP, ENTJ, ESTJ) The smile will not go past the mid-line of the face, and usually just stays with the mouth.
For any kind of thinking type, their smile will not go past the mid-line, but a type with Tertiary Feeling (ENTP, ESTP, INTJ, ISTJ) , they usually put more into their smile than an inferior feeling type, do to the fact that they have better control over it. How feeling appears in thinking types face is more a matter of comfort than anything. Obviously a Thinking type's smile of facial gestures is capable of moving past the mid-line, a funny enough joke could make any Dominant T forget about how uncomfortable they are will showing emotion. But if we were going to look at how it appears on average, you would easily see that patterns I talk about.

As for auxiliary feeling types (INFJ, ISFJ, ENFP, ESFP), their smile will technically reach the eyes, but the eyes will not be as in on it as they would if they were a dominant feeling type. It's hard to explain, their smile will in fact go past the mid-line and reach their eyes, but it still doesn't completely overtake them, if that makes sense.

The Fi smile vs the Fe smile:

It is not very easy to tell the difference between the two functions when just looking at still images of people smiling. However there is still a difference in how they appear that you are more than likely to notice

When an Fe user of any kind smiles, or make any other facial gesture for that matter, it is many to make someone else feel something. Fe is a directed emotion that is meant to let the other people in the area how they should feel about something or if you approve or disapprove of something. Fe is strictly meant to influence, which is why an Fe users smile tends to be rather charming

Fi on the other hand is just the opposite, it is meant for the self and only the self. The expressions of Fi are the pure and genuine feelings of the Fi user. Fi is what the person is feeling at the time about the current thought or subject. Again, it will be difficult to tell the difference in just pictures, but it will appear to be more "real" if that makes sense, more genuine and less "charming."

Dominant Fe types

bridges.jpg

Jeff Bridges (ENFJ)

teeth-julia-roberts-400a071807.jpg

Julia Roberts (ENFJ)

Nick_Lachey+Aug_2004.jpg

Nick Lachey (ESFJ)

leah_remini_spill1_bio.jpg

Leah Remini (ESFJ)

Dominant Fi types

Catherine_Keener-Nailed.jpg

Cathrine Keener (INFP)

philip_seymour_hoffman01.jpg

Philip Seymour Hoffman (INFP)

scarlett-johansson.jpg

Scarlett Johanson (ISFP)

marc_anthony.jpg

Marc Anthony (ISFP)

Commentary:
Notice how on every smile, it goes all the way up to their eyes? This is as far as it goes, the dominant Feeling types have the most all encompassing smiles among the 16 types. Look at Jeff bridges face, you can actually see the lines and wrinkles on his face that shows that this person has had an entire life of expansive facial dexterity. Which is why you can often tell if a person is a T or an F just by taking one look at them. Also, if this were a prettiest smile contest I'd say Cathrine Keener wins.

Auxiliary Fe types:

russell_crowe_1.jpg

Russell Crowe (INFJ)

nicole_kidman.jpg

Nicole Kidman (INFJ)

tom-cruise.jpg

Tom Cruise (ISFJ)

CourtneyCoxSP.jpg

Courtney Cox (ISFJ)

Auxiliary Fi Types

oscar-de-la-hoya-picture-3.jpg

Oscar De La Hoya (ESFP)

cameron_diaz.jpg

Cameron Diaz (ESFP)

russell-brand-forgetting-sarah-marshall-world-premiere-arrivals-1X7A5H.jpg

Russell Brand (ENFP)

260106_regina_spektor_05_350x350.jpg

Regina Spektor (ENFP)

Commentary:
Remember when I said their eyes are not quite in on it? Well you see a lot of that here, it's actually kind of scary with Nicole kidman, her face is smiling but her eyes are just locked on to you. What is even creepier is the way Tom Cruise does it, because his eyes are showing Si concern, and his face is showing Fe charm. Si kind of has an angry look to it, so it's looks like he is smiling with a vengeance. Actually the consistance that I see here is that the smile just goes up the the eyes and doesn't really pass them. Much like how Oscar De La Hoya has a full faced smile, but his eyes still show the bright eyes of Se. But over all, I will say it is very difficult to see the differences between a Dominant feeler's smile and an Auxiliary feeler's smile in just a still image. However it is actually quite noticeable if you are watching the person in real time.

Tertiary Fe types

This begins are transition from Feelers to thinkers. The change is actually quite dramatic in my oppinion, especially for the Fe users. For all of the tertiary Fe users, they have a big smile on the mouth... and that's it. It does not go past the cheeks, and it certainly does not to into into the eyes.

quentin-tarantino-bio.jpg

Quentin Tarantino (ENTP)

kirsten_dunst.jpg

Christen Dunst (ENTP)

jack_black.0.0.0x0.400x400.jpeg

Jack Black (ESTP)

tila-tequila.jpg

Tila Tequila (ESTP)

Tertiary Fi types

It is slightly different for IxTJs however, their smiles are also not passing the mid-line, but the way their face is shaped, it almost looks like it should be. I think it might just be Si and Ni that is causing them to have this Narrowed eye look, because their IxFJ cousins have the exact same look about them. The only one of them here that doesn't really have that look is Ann Coulter, her mouth says "I'm happy" but her eyes still say "I'm a fascist Machiavellian bitch."

3025-edward_norton.jpg

Edward Norton (INTJ)

2806_ann-coulter-ap-06-07-06.jpg

Ann Coulter (INTJ)

300.norris.chuck.071508.jpg

Chuck Norris (ISTJ)
[bimgx=250]http://www.ajs.org/ajs/publications/Judicatories/2008/April/Reno-cropped.jpg[/bimgx]
Janet Reno (ISTJ)

Inferior Fe types

ugh... It looks so forced when we do it. The only ones that don't look completely uncomfortable are Jeff Goldblum and Clint Eastwood, but as they are older gentlemen I'd image they are much more comfortable with their Fe.
Fun Fact: This thread idea was actually inspired by a Pic that Proxy posted of himself in the picturing posting thread. It was the perfect example of Fe being forced by a Ti dominant. Not sure what else to say here, the smile does not really go any higher than the mouth as you should expect.

Jim%20Parsons-CSH-046691.jpg

Jim Parsons (INTP, yes that's right, Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory not only plays an INTP. but is one in real life.)

jeff.jpg

Jeff Goldblum (INTP)

herocolor.jpg
christina_ricci_bangs.jpg

Christina Ricci (INTP)

marykate.jpg

Mary-Kate Olson (INTP) (I know you guys don't like hearing this, but she really is one of our kind, I don't know how that happened either, but we are just going to have to deal with it.)

eastwood-gran-torino.jpg

Clint Eastwood (ISTP)

jessica_biel.jpg

Jessica Beil (ISTP)

Inferior Fi types

Remember that phenomenon where the Auxiliary Fi types still have a narrowed eye look that makes them seem like their smile is going into the eyes, when it actually isn't? Yeah, well that doesn't happen here, their's just stays at the mouth too.

arnold-schwarzenegger.jpg

Arnold Schwarzenegger (ENTJ)

ivanka_trump_001_060408.jpg

Ivanka Trump (ENTJ)

SeanHannity.jpg

Sean Hannitty (ESTJ)

andreatantaros2-1.jpg

Andrea Tantaros (ESTJ)

Last edited:

flow

Audiophile/Insomniac
Local time
Today 11:56 AM
-->
Interesting thread.

Adymus

Banned
Local time
-->
I'm not entirely convinced each personality type smiles the same way every single time.. I mean, I'm sure they have a 'dominate' smile, but still... certain jokes warrant certain smiles. Whatever. Interesting thread.
Well of course we will not hit the exact same smile every time, but I think you are kind of missing the point if you are going to pick on that.

echoplex

Happen.
Local time
Today 1:56 PM
-->
Interesting! Kudos for making the effort to show all of those examples. I'm not sure how convinced I am of this, but in general, I've certainly noticed how people I type as Ts tend to smile differently than those who I type as Fs (although my typing is probably shit). However, I think those with inferior Fe can still smile with their eyes, it's just they only do it in the rare situations they are comfortable letting their Fe show. Certainly though, their public smile will tend to be mouth only, if even that.

Also, with Fe vs. Fi -- I think it's in the eyes. Fe's eyes will be more intently focused on the object(s). Fi's eyes will seem focused inwardly, as if the person is staring off into space. Your pictures seem to show that, although it's hard to tell. I could be mistaken though.

flow

Audiophile/Insomniac
Local time
-->
Yeah I realized I was just nitpicking and deleted it. :)

Adymus

Banned
Local time
-->
Interesting! Kudos for making the effort to show all of those examples. I'm not sure how convinced I am of this, but in general, I've certainly noticed how people I type as Ts tend to smile differently than those who I type as Fs (although my typing is probably shit). However, I think those with inferior Fe can still smile with their eyes, it's just they only do it in the rare situations they are comfortable letting their Fe show. Certainly though, their public smile will tend to be mouth only, if even that.

Also, with Fe vs. Fi -- I think it's in the eyes. Fe's eyes will be more intently focused on the object(s). Fi's eyes will seem focused inwardly, as if the person is staring off into space. Your pictures seem to show that, although it's hard to tell. I could be mistaken though.
Yeah, I agree with you on inferior Fe; if you make one genuinely laugh (Not just a fake "Ha, I see you made a joke" laugh) then it does go pretty much into the eyes. But just as a whole we are not really comfortable with going past the mid-line, especially if you are just using Fe for the comfort of others.

Something I noticed with with Fi users, when they laugh or otherwise happy about something, they move their eyebrows slightly upward... There has to be more than that that they are doing differently, because as they age their face just ends up being shaped very differently from an Fe user.

In some cases, it seems like an ENFJ's face reveals a life of smiles, and an INFPs face reveals a life of sorrows.

flow

Audiophile/Insomniac
Local time
-->
Speaking of sorrowful INFPs, you should find some more pictures of them, I only see one.

Also, this thread again puts the subject of functional development on my mind. I'm not entirely convinced typing people is as easy it it at first appears.. spotting primary functions through smiles seems somewhat judgmental and assuming. I'm fairly certain a well developed (functionally speaking) being would be very difficult to properly assess through something as simple as a casual smile. There are patterns though.

Adymus

Banned
Local time
-->
Speaking of sorrowful INFPs, you should find some more pictures of them, I only see one.
No there is two of them. Cathrine Keener and Philip Seymour Hoffman. I put two of every type, one male and one female. And twice that for INTPs because they get special treatment.

Ermine

is watching and taking notes
Local time
-->
casually playing guitar in my mental arena
Hmm. This is an interesting theory. However, I suspect it's more flexible than you're making it out to be. Or at least in my experience, I have done everything from the INTP-typical smile to really big smiles that rival that of an Fe-dominant type. The face is totally a Feeling meter, but I think it should be noted that this is only showing what is typical, not what is possible.

Adymus

Banned
Local time
-->
Hmm. This is an interesting theory. However, I suspect it's more flexible than you're making it out to be. Or at least in my experience, I have done everything from the INTP-typical smile to really big smiles that rival that of an Fe-dominant type. The face is totally a Feeling meter, but I think it should be noted that this is only showing what is typical, not what is possible.
It is more flexible than I am making it out to be, and yes I totally should note that... I suppose I will.

Obviously a dominant thinking type is not missing muscles above the mid-line.

flow

Audiophile/Insomniac
Local time
-->
Oh oops, I'm getting a question mark on my browser for that other picture. Load FAIL!

Audentia

is a logophile
Local time
-->
The land of stunning sunsets and sunshine

Yeah, what she said. :) I can have subtle smiles that won't go into my eyes, especially if I'm stuck having to pose which sucks. Usually I have big happy smiles that go into my eyes if I'm caught being myself. Shrug. Depends.

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
Today 6:56 PM
-->
just wondering..how'd you type these people? videos?

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->

Adymus

Banned
Local time
-->
Nice work Adymus. Eye candy for me. I'm ready for more. One trick that would be very hard would be a test. I.e. put up faces and then take a poll as to type. Then give answers afterward.

Meryl Streep = INTP?
http://www.michellemarcos.com/images/meryl_streep.jpg
http://www.insidesocal.com/outinhol...,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,meryl2.jpg
http://www.italia.it/uploads/pics/meryl-streep_l_01.jpg
Well, I don't agree with typing people based on a still image alone, like the socionics people do (Unsuccessfully I might add.) However typing from recorded video of them is a completely different story.
But that's why I focused on on the Thinking and feeling dimentions for this thread, because those are the most apparent in a picture.

Meryl Streep is an an INFJ, and you can see her use of facial expression does carry well over the mid-line into just under the eyes.

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
Today 7:56 PM
-->
Hm, most of these people are actors. I wonder, can the smile of an actor even be considered normal? To what degree can someone fake a smile?

Adymus

Banned
Local time
-->
Hm, most of these people are actors. I wonder, can the smile of an actor even be considered normal? To what degree can someone fake a smile?
Even though the actors with the lower feeling functions surely have those more developed than normal. There are still the factors of how comfortable you are with using these functions that still remains, and it will leave it's mark. Even when developed, polar Fe is still going to look way different from Dominant Fe, because for a dominant Fe it's stimulating for them and they have no problem giving out tons of Fe. As for a type with Polar Fe, the use of their Fe is still the most costly function despite how developed it is.

Furthermore, I don't think people are even aware that their eyes are not in on their smile. Granted, they are actors and should know how to fake a smile, but the act of smiling itself is extremely subconscious and would be rather difficult to fake on call every time.

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->
Thanks Adymus! Ann Coulter, her mouth says "I'm happy" but her eyes still say "I'm a fascist Machiavellian bitch." <---Simply dripping with win. :D

The auxilary Fe and Fi types are fascinating. You can see that they are smiling happily but you get this creepy sensation that they are sizing your up for the kill (like Nicole Kidman) or wondering how far they can push you (like Russel Brand and Regina Spektor to a lesser extent).

When it comes to Clint and Jeff I think they are just a bit more wrinkly to begin with since they are older and it helps fake the Happy Eye Crinkle associated with a genuine smile. I scrunch up my eyes at customers by lifting my cheekbones in order to make them think I'm more friendly because people tell me I don't look friendly enough. Then I just grin like my life depends on it. It's a horribly fake smile but people seem to respond well to it. Although some more...shall we say attentive?....people say that when I smile like that it looks like I'm going to go for their throat. If I smile comfortably then people say I just look sad...WHAT THE HELL?

Why can't people just accept that not smiling doesn't equate to negativity or anger?

Adymus

Banned
Local time
-->
Thanks Adymus! Ann Coulter, her mouth says "I'm happy" but her eyes still say "I'm a fascist Machiavellian bitch." <---Simply dripping with win. :D

The auxilary Fe and Fi types are fascinating. You can see that they are smiling happily but you get this creepy sensation that they are sizing your up for the kill (like Nicole Kidman) or wondering how far they can push you (like Russel Brand and Regina Spektor to a lesser extent).

When it comes to Clint and Jeff I think they are just a bit more wrinkly to begin with since they are older and it helps fake the Happy Eye Crinkle associated with a genuine smile. I scrunch up my eyes at customers by lifting my cheekbones in order to make them think I'm more friendly because people tell me I don't look friendly enough. Then I just grin like my life depends on it. It's a horribly fake smile but people seem to respond well to it. Although some more...shall we say attentive?....people say that when I smile like that it looks like I'm going to go for their throat. If I smile comfortably then people say I just look sad...WHAT THE HELL?

Why can't people just accept that not smiling doesn't equate to negativity or anger?
Yeah that is what I figured with Clint and Jeff, but Jeff Goldblum does have a great use of his Fe though.

You too!?! People always interpret my blank expression as anything but neutral. It's usually either fear or anger. Someone will say something to me, and then I'll think about what they said; Using Ti wipes my face clean of emotion. Then they'll see that and say "What!? It's okay I didn't mean anything by that!"

Hypothesis to explore later: I've noticed it is pretty much only types with Fi in their top two that tell me I need to smile more... I wonder if this is because Fi has a need to be validated by Fe, and they feel uncomfortable if I am not giving it out. As opposed to Fe users who if they see the lack of emotion on my face, then they will try and push harder with their own Fe to see if they can get my Fe to approve of them.

snowqueen

mysteriously benevolent
Local time
-->
Ok I have recently been seriously considering that I may actually be INFJ especially as I have a dominant Ni (bit of a giveaway) and think that my Ti only developed since I was in my 30s and I'm somewhat obsessed with human relationships and enabling people ... just a hunch! Now having looked at the Meryl Streep photos I am nearly completely convinced.

I was going to post about this elsewhere but this seemed like a more fun way to 'come out'.

I have been looking much closer into the cognitive functions/processes and did a test and came out Ni, Ti, Fe, Se, (Fi, Ne, Te, Si)

Adymus - what is your verdict?

[bimgx=250]http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v132/236/56/688407287/n688407287_275709_7271.jpg[/bimgx]

12956_214585327287_688407287_4004421_1200285_n.jpg

[bimgx=250]http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v348/236/56/688407287/n688407287_1514008_704.jpg[/bimgx]

Adymus

Banned
Local time
-->
Well, I would not put any trust what so ever in the cognitive process test; relating to a cognitive function enough to check a box is certainly not proof that you use that function.

There is also no way you can be an Ni Dom and still an INTP, that would completely contradict why you are an INTP in the first place. Although that is probably not too important because based on this pictures, I don't think you are an INFJ anyway.

Your smile does not go passed the midline of the face in any of these pictures. In fact, I don't see a single wrinkle on the upper parts of the face and around the eyes. This tells me you have lived an entire life of having a very inexpressive face. The first picture even looks like Fe trying to wrestle with an overpowering Dominant Ti just to get a smirk out, kind of like how Mary-Kate Olsen is doing it.

My Verdict is INTP.

tashi

Local time
Today 12:56 PM
-->
This is a very interesting thread, and you obviously seem to have done your research.
I realize that this was not the purpose of this thread, for you to analyze the forum members smiles, but after reading it, I decided to examine some of my own photos, were I am smiling. I recently (like snowqueen) have been feeling a bit unsure as to whether or not I am an intp, and since you are much better at analyzing facial expressions then myself, if it's not to much trouble:

Attachments

• tashiandjuliadoppel.JPG
    tashiandjuliadoppel.JPG
    13.3 KB · Views: 996
  • 01192010 010.jpg
    01192010 010.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 984
  • tashianalyze.JPG
    tashianalyze.JPG
    12.4 KB · Views: 965

Adymus

Banned
Local time
-->
Hey don't worry about it, I kind of like where this thread is going anyway.

Well, none of these are very expressive smiles, they don't really pass for more than a slight grin.
So based on that I could Lean in the direction of Ti dominance, and based on where the muscle tension in the face is, it looks to me like Fe. But I would like to see more just to be sure. Do you have any pictures that are more than just a slight grin? Like maybe something teethy?

tashi

Local time
-->
There are plenty of photos of me, but I can't find a single one were my teeth are exposed in a smile. I'll see if I can get around to taking a toothy smile photo later (the horror! =O )
These are pretty much as close as it gets for a smile for me:

Attachments

• tashismile.jpg
    tashismile.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,218
  • tashitashikindasmile.jpg
    tashitashikindasmile.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 1,096

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->
Snowqueen = INFP?!?!?!? :eek: (at least in her mind at the moment)

I don't think you guys are treating this with the seriousness it deserves! :D

wadlez

Local time
Tomorrow 3:26 AM
-->
Awesome thread, well done. I will attempt to put this theory to practical use

snowqueen

mysteriously benevolent
Local time
-->
@Cav - Not INFP - INFJ.

Actually the only place I do have wrinkles is round my eyes! I have stayed out of the sun. The top photo is actually one I took myself so the smile is fake.

Here's one of me dancing and genuinely happy.

5971_125946592287_688407287_3013796_4794874_n.jpg

cheese

Prolific Member
Local time
Tomorrow 3:56 AM
-->
Adymus:
RE Mary-Kate Olsen's smirking - I think she's just doing the usual photo smirk that most people give when attempting to look cool. Also, it's a convenient way to show off her cheekbones. Both sisters do it. A lot of others do it as well. It's a very image-conscious smile, rather than an inability to smile.

I'm assuming you've typed her off videos as well though.

Adymus

Banned
Local time
-->
Tashi - I think you having four pictures in a row with none of them being very expressive is kind of an indication that expressing emotion is something you do not particularly enjoy. I'd feel that I could safely assume you are an INTP from that, however if you are not satisfied with that, you could post a video of yourself talking about stuff on the INTPs on youtube thread so I can read you. I am far more confident with reading people on a video so I can actually watch you think and introvert and extrovert and use your functions in real time.

Snowqueen
- again, the smile is not really going into the eyes... But it might just be the pictures, so how about that video idea?

Cheese - Well her sister is an INTP too. Also I didn't say that it is an inability to smile, just kind of an awkward smile you see Ti dominants do when caught off guard.

JoeJoe

Knifed
Local time
Today 7:56 PM
-->
I'm looking at smiles from a completely different viewpoint now!

I also posted this in the photo thread. I ususally look rather horrid when trying to fake a smile. In this case I was laughing (or rather chuckling) and managed to hold that while I took a photo.

scaled.php

y4r5xeym5

Lurker Extraordinaire
Local time
-->
Me, doing my usual "Just take the damn photo already" smile
30743_123538630991101_1000000489351.jpg

My genuine smile that some bastard caught on camera:
30743_123538637657767_1000000489351.jpg

Do your worst, bitches. :evil:
(also, we have an IRC?)

Logic

Banned
Local time
-->
Nice idea for a thread first off, yea i think the way people smile depending on what there type is, is a good way to get an idea as to what type they really are, but like you said it cant be done from just still pictures, real live test subjects will be required :borg: . Generally to me Fe's show a lot of smile which makes you think their trying to get others out of their shells and enjoy themselves very warm and concerned. Fi dominant types like you said seem like they are smiling on the inside. Like whatever is happening is is sync with their personally ethics. Physically their smiles are very innocent and baby-like. Fe as secondary like the INFJ are also much like the dominant Fe's ,but you can see that in their eyes theres something that separates them from the audience, but for the most part its also warm, but also holding something to themselves. Fi as secondary like the ESFP seems a lot like the dominant Fe types as well, but with them theres much more concern for their own happiness and the concern for others isn't all there. Fe as auxiliary seems to give off the impression of someone who seems to be happy but isn't really happy, they are definitely holding back parts of themselves. Fi as auxiliary is somewhat similar to the EXTP's smile but, for them it seems as though they are trying to hold back a very, almost evil, part of them self. The Fe as the weakest function IXTP seems to be saying it would rather be doing something else, and not having to play the nice person. Fi as least used seems content with itself, but its priority is its work.

I think there is a correlation between how often a person smiles with what personality type they are. Dominant feelers are much more likely to show a higher degree of happy and sad emotions and extroverted people also seem more likely to crack a smile, but this is just a theory.

Adymus

Banned
Local time
-->
For sure, one thing you will notice with INFJs and other Auxiliary Fe users, is that they rarely let their Fe completely overtake their face like dominant Fe and Fi users do. Which is why it usually doesn't pass the eyes. They are almost always perceiving, they'll laugh and smile, but with their eyes on the other person making sure everything is going well.

Logic

Banned
Local time
-->
For sure, one thing you will notice with INFJs and other Auxiliary Fe users, is that they rarely let their Fe completely overtake their face like dominant Fe and Fi users do. Which is why it usually doesn't pass the eyes. They are almost always perceiving, they'll laugh and smile, but with their eyes on the other person making sure everything is going well.

lol I can't begin to tell you how many times my dad has given me that look where he's laughing, but if he notices im not then his eyes immediately drop down to a kind of scowl, but his mouth is still laughing, and just from that look he makes, I start to laugh too.

Tunesimah

Man-Child becoming a Dude.... Man
Local time
-->
Interesting, Smiles are sort of fascinating. Especially the subconscious natural ones.

Here's a pic of me with a pretty big smile. I always test INTP. Laughter and humor has always been my only really strong emotion. I can really bust a gut laughing.

mesmile.jpg

Adymus

Banned
Local time
-->
Interesting, Smiles are sort of fascinating. Especially the subconscious natural ones.

Here's a pic of me with a pretty big smile. I always test INTP. Laughter and humor has always been my only really strong emotion. I can really bust a gut laughing.

mesmile.jpg
Uhhhm, possibly Fi dom, not too sure though, I don't really type people through photos. Do you have any others?

Tunesimah

Local time
-->
Uhhhm, possibly Fi dom, not too sure though, I don't really type people through photos. Do you have any others?

My Profile pic is me with a smile, really more of a smirk though. Just like in this pic
mepic.jpg
That's my usual expresion of contentment, which doesn't have much emotion behind it. But when I get really silly and happy, I'm pretty uncontrollable and have an expressive smile like the first one I posted.

Curious that you say Fi dom, If I really twist my thoughts I can come out as INFP. And I certainly seem more sensitive than a 'usual' INTP.

Update: Even better, here's a video of me smiling and being happy, while I explain and devour a Neapolitan Ice Cream sandwich.

Adymus

Banned
Local time
-->
Yeah that's Fi.

You're an INFP, dude.

Yeah, the INTP's expression of content is completely blank and neutral, on top of that we are also aware of what our face is doing because we are Fe users (in short, Fe is used to intentionally influence and communicate, thus Fe users are always aware of how their face is being seen to some degree.)

tashi

Local time
-->
Alright, I have returned with some photos which are a bit more reflective of how I would smile when in group settings/social situations. The previous photos were primarily of me posing for a photo, and I always find it more difficult to smile when am aware of that. I am the one with the seashell necklace on.

Attachments

• tjtashismile.jpg
    tjtashismile.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 1,144
  • seashell.jpg
    seashell.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 969

Trebuchet

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Hey Adymus, nice thread. Just to make sure I understand, though. You aren't talking about warmth in the eyes, right? You are talking about crinkliness of the face? I want to make sure I am seeing what you are pointing out.

I see warmth in people's eyes whether or not they are smiling, and I tend to react to that, rather than how big their smile is. Looking only at the eyes of the photos you posted, the warmest eyes I see belong to Clint Eastwood and Jack Black. (And the coldest belong to Ann Coulter).

So when you say a smile doesn't reach the eyes, do you mean how much the eyes get squashed, or how much genuine emotion is in them?

Adymus

Banned
Local time
-->
Tashi - Still, That's just not a feeler's smile, it stops just before the mid-line. I'm telling ya, if you really want me to read you, you should do the video thing. By the by, is your friend to the right of you in the green top an ESTP (Or possibly ENTP)? I'm seeing that sharky tertiary Fe in her.

Trebuchet - it is the Crinkles and how much the eyes get squashed as you put it, that I am looking for.

tashi

Local time
-->
See, that's what I figured. I'm a bit hesitant to make a video though, because I'm without a topic. I just really don't know what I would say. I suppose I could do something very random like Tunesmith, just not sure how well that would work for me.
As for my friend, I don't really know. We're not particularly close, but that would not suprise me one bit, from what I've observed of her.

I've been wondering if you could perhaps suggest any reading material on Cognitive Functions?

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
-->
@Snow: Oh, sorry. I had meant to say "INTJ" but my fingers got confused by the enormity of that realization. Although I don't know if you are still around to notice my apology. :'(

After spending some time looking over a few photos of the ENTJ in my life I've decided that he really doesn't smile genuinely. My smile isn't terribly genuine either so together we just look vaguely irritated. Hmmm...

I wonder if we allowed ourselves to more fully feel Fe we'd be able to smile with authenticity...
:confused:

Tunesimah

Local time
-->
Yeah that's Fi.

You're an INFP, dude.

Yeah, the INTP's expression of content is completely blank and neutral, on top of that we are also aware of what our face is doing because we are Fe users (in short, Fe is used to intentionally influence and communicate, thus Fe users are always aware of how their face is being seen to some degree.)

Oh great, now I'm going to go through many hours of contemplation trying to understand myself... just when I though I had it all figured out...

I do have a strong Ti, and though my Te was barely even used at all though.... I think.

Curious how facial features can imply so much...

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
-->
Oh great, now I'm going to go through many hours of contemplation trying to understand myself... just when I though I had it all figured out...

I do have a strong Ti, and though my Te was barely even used at all though.... I think.

Curious how facial features can imply so much...

How strong is your Fi do you think?

cheese

Prolific Member
Local time
Tomorrow 3:56 AM
-->
Tune, your video is awesome! And that ice-cream...I don't think we have that here but it looks almost as awesome as you are.

Tunesimah

Local time
-->
How strong is your Fi do you think?

Don't know. Specifically, I've always thought my emotions were a bit empty... like I didn't have that much emotion. But now when I analyze it a bit more, perhaps harmony is more important to me than logical consistency... but I tend to run to logic because to me it can produce harmony. I use it as a way of understanding the world and have it make sense to me. Perhaps my emotions are more like gentle wind erosion than a violent earth quake (that I assumed emotion had to expressed as). But I guess emotions aren't the same thing as making decisions based on a value system.

When I look at my interactions with people, I see myself as Fi. I have an innate curiosity about people, and when they talk I'm genuinely interested in what they have to say. I'm really a softy at heart. I also have extreme patience with people. Also, I'm rarely skeptical at first blush with a topic, especially if it is presented to me personally. I'm not searching for inconsistencies in a persons logic, I can find it if I dig deep, but it isn't my first consideration when people talk to me.

When I switch Thinking vs Feeling to Tough Minded vs Friendliness, as I found in "Please Understand Me II," It is much easier for me to see myself as a Feeler type. When looking at the domain of dealing with other people I'm a more of a Feeler. But my passions and interests are certainly more in the Thinking domain, mathematics and whatnot... Perhaps that's why it's easy to get the two mixed up. Interests aren't core approaches...

kibou

Local time
-->
Wow, this stuff really works! I felt the same things when looking at the pictures and videos...BTW sorry to the users that posted pictures on here but it's really obvious you guys are the types mentioned! I started laughing on pictures 3 and 4 in the posts since it's so obvious haha.

Hmm...at first, I wasn't sure whether I'd be able to tell inferior Fe versus Fi from the descriptions, but I find I can tell it apart by feeling, just not by the accompanying descriptions, unfortunately...I am ENFP though. ETJs have this kind of "gwarr" smile (except for Ivanka's in the examples whose smile I find terrifying for some reason), while ITPs have this soft non-feelingness that I always find friendlier. I wonder though, if this is more me seeing Te versus Ti...Te always looks more aggressive to me.

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
the closed mouth, goofy, impish smiles of the intps and the playful yet analytical eyes of ed norton as an intj are matches for me personally.

Top Bottom