• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

A big shot in my own mind

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
Today 4:47 AM
-->
i guess its kind of late (since i've already been posting a couple days) but i'm just officially saying hello.

i took 3 personality tests, all of them concluding that i am INTP. i don't really know much about the whole personality type stuff, but just off a whim i took the personality tests (i've always been curious about the human mind works, and even more so i've always been interested in how my OWN mind works) and the third one i took gave me a link to this site. i read for a while before registering (as i generally check things out first before i make myself a presence, don't know if thats an INTP thing or just me) and i found it interesting, so i registered.

about me: i'm often times very opinionated. sometimes i can come off a little aggressive, but i don't really mean to be, i just get passionate about things that i'm interested in. science/philosophy/theology are definitely things that i have a great interest in, so thats probably the place i'll make the most posts lol. people that know me describe me as as quiet listener (which i guess fits the personality profile) and as a pessimist. i'm sure (if i stick around long enough) that you people will come to realize this as well.

Thread Killer

Never-Around Member
Local time
-->
Hi. Sounds like you fit right in and by your posts, it seems so.
Lucky that you seem to have gotten your type right at first try. (I tested INFP for years, but I clearly was imagining my emotionality, lol.

fullerene

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
yes! haha finally... i've been waiting to say this to someone in their intro thread ever since i joined... but i finally found my double :D.

My interests go theology, then science, then philosophy though... or perhaps science, theology, philosophy. Philosophy's definitely towards the bottom part of the list though. Science and theology are about tied.

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
-->
yes! haha finally... i've been waiting to say this to someone in their intro thread ever since i joined... but i finally found my double :D.

My interests go theology, then science, then philosophy though... or perhaps science, theology, philosophy. Philosophy's definitely towards the bottom part of the list though. Science and theology are about tied.

thats great to know, but from what i've gathered in your posts you are a christian, right? i believe that we will probably butt heads in the future, but i hope you will not take anything i say personally lol

fullerene

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
haha, probably depends on how what you mean by "theology," but I'll try not to take anything personally. probably 3/4 - 4/5 of what people complain about christians for isn't biblical anyway, so I wouldn't even think twice about it. I usually get annoyed just when people tell me what I believe, argue against it, then don't listen when I try to explain that what they have in mind isn't what I believe at all.

In any case I've never seen a forum that lends itself well to theological arguments... so we'll see. It was just cool to see someone with an identical top 3 interests.

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
-->
haha, probably depends on how what you mean by "theology," but I'll try not to take anything personally. probably 3/4 - 4/5 of what people complain about christians for isn't biblical anyway, so I wouldn't even think twice about it. I usually get annoyed just when people tell me what I believe, argue against it, then don't listen when I try to explain that what they have in mind isn't what I believe at all.

In any case I've never seen a forum that lends itself well to theological arguments... so we'll see. It was just cool to see someone with an identical top 3 interests.

i know what you mean, i've debated theology/religion on numerous forums, which is how i've come to stop myself from using fallacies such as the straw fallacy you described (setting up someone else's side of the argument then tearing it down, for those who don't know).

it is nice to chat with people that are understanding though.

loveofreason

echoes through time
Local time
Yesterday 9:47 PM
-->
You've started some interesting discussion. Welcome.

Is using a strawman in discussions just not ethical debating, or in some way an inferior approach to understanding/de-constructing an argument?

fullerene

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
um... haha I'd only call it unethical if undecided people (who aren't very smart) are watching the debate too... ie politics. If two of you are arguing privately and one starts setting up the position of the other one, the other person will soon just think "ok... you're an idiot, and this isn't going anywhere."

I'd say it's more just extremely unhelpful or pointless. Inferior depends on your definition... if your purpose is to "win," then using a straw man is a good way to convince yourself that you did... the reason it's unethical if people are watching in my opinion is because you might unfairly convince some of them that you did too. If you're arguing on the concept level, though, because you think your position is legitimately better than the other person's, and you really want to show them how your way is better, you'll actually make some progress if you use their real position, rather than the one you constructed for them. Otherwise you're not debating their actual position, so they're not likely to listen to you and your own position doesn't get any stronger because, since you constructed the fake position, you already have all the answers to its objections in your head.

Take my PETA thread, for example. I didn't do this just because I asked if anyone knew if they had any better reasons, but if I had said "PETA is ridiculous because they protest for animal rights, but only care about the cute animals. It's the cuteness of the animal that makes them want to save it." But then suppose PETA actually has well documented evidence about which animals they save and why, whether it be because they're endangered, or of higher complexity than other animals, or are of great value to the ecosystem. I would be setting up a straw man for their side of the argument. It's not necessarily dishonest--it may be done out of ignorance--but it's certainly unhelpful and won't actually "win a battle" of concepts or philosophies.

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
-->
http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/ <- list of fallacies with a description of them.

using a fallacy in an argument pretty much makes ones argument null and void. generally, they are the last resort of someone who has no argument and has to restort to being illogical.

loveofreason

echoes through time
Local time
-->
Well I've learned something there, from both responses to the question. I've learned how ignorant I am - that link's scary! I must be guilty of every fallacy listed! (OK, I exaggerate too.)

Glad to see you've made yourself so prolific, Agent Intellect.

Local time
Today 2:47 AM
-->
I have good news and bad news:

The good news is that Agent Intellect has come back after a long absence.

The bad news is that Agent Intellect has come back after a long absence.

Yes, I am the original Agent Intellect - something that someone that has to prove their identity would definitely say...and yet, who would want to pretend to be that asshole?

So why am I back after all of these years some might ask...er, well, I might ask?

I guess boredom and nostalgia are big contributors. I absolutely enjoyed my time on this forum back in the day, and I frequently crave philosophical conversation (I am a scientist, and believe it or not, most other scientists aren't that interested in philosophical or political conversation).

Since I quit (or, as was sort of the (completely justifiable) case, was kicked off) this forum, I have since completed my undergraduate degree in biochemistry and have just about finished my first year as a PhD student in biochemistry at Colorado University at Boulder, and self-published the first novel in a series I'm trying to write that I'll get around to completing soon (things get easier after the first year of grad school, I hear).

I am also now in my thirties, which I wasn't back when unknown forces halted my presence here, so that arbitrary number must grant me special powers, right? Right?

I gave a cursory scan of the forum before re-registering and some of the names seemed familiar, so hello again to you old timers who may remember me. And hello to the majority I don't know - I still remember the joy of finding a place filled with like minded people (hence why I've come back - I hope to recapture that feeling in some small way). I don't know how active I'll be - as I said, I am a graduate student and I am (at least attempting to) write a series of novels - but I did miss the intellectual stimulation of a forum of my fellow INTPs.

Yet I am almost certainly an alien to this forum's culture now, so just treat me like an old, out of touch douche bag in his 90's who thinks the good ol' days were amazing and that all ya'll younguns dunno whats good fir ya.

-Tom (aka Agent Intellect)

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
Today 8:47 AM
-->
I have good news and bad news:

The good news is that Agent Intellect has come back after a long absence.

The bad news is that Agent Intellect has come back after a long absence.

Yes, I am the original Agent Intellect - something that someone that has to prove their identity would definitely say...and yet, who would want to pretend to be that asshole?

So why am I back after all of these years some might ask...er, well, I might ask?

I guess boredom and nostalgia are big contributors. I absolutely enjoyed my time on this forum back in the day, and I frequently crave philosophical conversation (I am a scientist, and believe it or not, most other scientists aren't that interested in philosophical or political conversation).

Since I quit (or, as was sort of the (completely justifiable) case, was kicked off) this forum, I have since completed my undergraduate degree in biochemistry and have just about finished my first year as a PhD student in biochemistry at Colorado University at Boulder, and self-published the first novel in a series I'm trying to write that I'll get around to completing soon (things get easier after the first year of grad school, I hear).

I am also now in my thirties, which I wasn't back when unknown forces halted my presence here, so that arbitrary number must grant me special powers, right? Right?

I gave a cursory scan of the forum before re-registering and some of the names seemed familiar, so hello again to you old timers who may remember me. And hello to the majority I don't know - I still remember the joy of finding a place filled with like minded people (hence why I've come back - I hope to recapture that feeling in some small way). I don't know how active I'll be - as I said, I am a graduate student and I am (at least attempting to) write a series of novels - but I did miss the intellectual stimulation of a forum of my fellow INTPs.

Yet I am almost certainly an alien to this forum's culture now, so just treat me like an old, out of touch douche bag in his 90's who thinks the good ol' days were amazing and that all ya'll younguns dunno whats good fir ya.

-Tom (aka Agent Intellect)

Oh I was just reading up on Boulder, such timing.

What a long leave of absence. I was just leaving school back in 08.

Welcome [back]

Have you always been in Boulder?

Fukyo

blurb blurb
Local time
Today 9:47 AM
-->
Are you sure you're AI? You sound a lot edgier than what I remember. :confused:

Does Auburn's wig still make you want to cut yourself?

Local time
-->
Are you sure you're AI? You sound a lot edgier than what I remember. :confused:

Does Auburn's wig still make you want to cut yourself?

I am the one that called itself AI at one point, but whether I am still that person or not I guess will remain to be decided by those who knew who I was at that point in my life. I remember the name Auburn from my time here - I think that person saw me as being quite dark and depressed. That has been true in my life. I am still trying to overcome that.

Oh I was just reading up on Boulder, such timing.

What a long leave of absence. I was just leaving school back in 08.

Welcome [back]

Have you always been in Boulder?

I am a new resident of Boulder as of last August. I lived in Michigan for most of my life and only moved here when I came to graduate school. But I am loving the place.

Deleted member 1424

Welcome back AIII. I always liked your posts and I somewhat hazily recall losing a few games of chess to you at some point.

No one ever really escapes this place, do they? :kodama1:

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Hmmm.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

I'm convinced. Resignation and nostalgia is hard to fake.

Welcome back AI :D

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
We could probably just coin a new term -- Resignalgia.

Welcome again. Make sure your tray table is up and your seat in the full upright position.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 3:47 AM
-->
I've seen OP's posts before. That is the extent that I know of them.

Welcome anyways.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
Today 1:47 AM
-->
I definitely remember you as one of the main members when I first joined, but I don't think we ever interacted. Welcome back :)

I've seen a few other members return as well. Make intpforum great again :p

Local time
-->
Thank you all for my re-welcoming. I know how hard sincerity can be for an INTP. I definintely remember Cognisant, Jennywocky, fukyo, and adaire - if you knew me prior to my departure and I forgot to mention you, I am sure you deserve thanks, so thank you.

I also accept welcomes from everyone else - whether I recognize you or not.

Local time
-->
I definitely remember you as one of the main members when I first joined, but I don't think we ever interacted. Welcome back :)

I've seen a few other members return as well. Make intpforum great again :p

Your name seems somewhat familiar, but I may just remember you as a newbie when I joined. Either way, thanks for the welcome, and I hope to be a well contributing member.

Helvete

Pizdec
Local time
Today 7:47 PM
-->
What are the novels about? Have you approached publishers or have you other reasons to go self published?

Local time
-->
What are the novels about? Have you approached publishers or have you other reasons to go self published?

I am a terrible self promoter. I always feel embarrassed when I talk about my works - especially when people need to actually pay for my works. But I'll try and give a good summary:

My novel(s) are about a person (being) who lives forever via reincarnation. However, this is not some spiritual sense of reincarnation, this character remembers every detail of its previous lives.

The novel, after the brutal prologue of a past contemporary history, starts in somewhat modern times. The protagonist doesn't know if they are the only one that experiences reincarnation, and is thus incredibly depressed and lonely. Within the story (in the first book) the protagonist realizes that they are not the only reincarnated immortal, and that the future (which becomes increasingly more sci-fi over time) does not look good for immortals like themselves.

How the two of them handle ideology and the future shaped by ideology differs, and figures into how "Incarnate: Existence" plays out.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
this character remembers every detail of its previous lives.
From birth?

"Ma'am congratulations it's a boy"
"Sup bitch"
"Did it just speak?"

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
A little boy walks up to the cashier in an old London bank and says completely deadpan,
"Take me to the vault."

Local time
-->
From birth?

"Ma'am congratulations it's a boy"
"Sup bitch"
"Did it just speak?"

This is actually an issue I wondered about with the immortal (via birth and death) character. In the book, they retain all of the memories, but while an infant, this simply manifests as terrible issues with children, such as insanity and autism (at least in modern times). In the past, such ideas about resurrection were sometimes accepted, with the main character being depressed when his/her loved ones never actually came back.

Top Bottom