• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

A Former Subway Worker Made a Breakthrough Discovery in Math

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Today 3:05 AM
-->

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 10:05 PM
-->
A pity it has no known use.

Then again I'm sure somebody is figuring that out right now.

kvothe27

Local time
-->
This is fantastic. Thank you for posting this.

walfin

Democrazy
Local time
Today 5:05 PM
-->
“If you can go back and take a look, his skill level was probably there from the beginning. But no one ever noticed.” (Kobe Bryant on Jeremy Lin)

When this chap was working at Starbucks he already had a PhD. Way to go, INTP.

Oh, I suppose one use might be making it easier to find the two prime numbers needed for RSA keys, given that there's now a finite upper bound for the distance between two primes.

TheScornedReflex

(Per) Version of a truth.
Local time
Today 10:05 PM
-->
Wooo! At least someone is edging forward in the prime number debacle.

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
Today 4:05 PM
-->
Kinda sad.

He couldn't get a job he wanted even though he has a doctorate from Purdue.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->
Kinda sad.

He couldn't get a job he wanted even though he has a doctorate from Purdue.

Sounds like he got it now.

He's the Einstein of the 21st century; working a subway job this time instead of the patent office.

Valentas

Local time
Today 9:05 AM
-->
Yes, the guy is superb. I read about this yesterday. Is there a proof somewhere on the Internet?

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
-->

He's the Einstein of the 21st century; working a subway job this time instead of the patent office.

I guess a job as an accountant kept him less miserable.

I tried studying while I was working. It's really damn hard. Work constantly spills into study time and burnouts at work could just wash it all off for months.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->
I guess a job as an accountant kept him less miserable.

I tried studying while I was working. It's really damn hard. Work constantly spills into study time and burnouts at work could just wash it all off for months.

Yeah, this is really tough. I work a full time job and go home for my own patent job side projects. The important thing is to keep at it, day after day (it WILL take years). You will discover ways to make it happen.

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
-->
Yeah, this is really tough. I work a full time job and go home for my own patent job side projects. The important thing is to keep at it, day after day (it WILL take years). You will discover ways to make it happen.

Now I feel like a lazy bum. I cheated, I halfway quit my job. I guess I did find a way to make it happen.

Your full time job isn't satisfying? Mind sharing the side projects briefly?

I'd love to have the life of the guy in Law Abiding Citizen without all the traumatic events and stuff. Just his toys and gadgets.

walfin

Democrazy
Local time
Today 5:05 PM
-->

Kinda scary to think that the next Einstein might have to work an even worse job than Subway.

Vrecknidj

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 5:05 AM
-->
As significant as this result is, it doesn't put him in the same league with Einstein. He'll have to make some more (and more significant) contributions to do that.

That said, this *is* a big deal.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
Thanks for the reference Architect. I knew about the conjecture of infinitely many prime pairs ever since I was a child. Do you guys know there are NO prime triplets? Zero! Can you prove it? I have one. -2, 0, 2 is not allowed.

Wolf18

a who
Local time
-->
I haven't learned a whole lot of maths yet, but why isn't 3, 5, 7 a prime triplet?

SW

semicolon

Naive
Local time
-->
Apart from 3, 5, 7 there aren't any more (considering positive integers only). Consider the triplet p, p+2, p+4. One of them has to be divisible by 3 (because p+4=p+1 mod 3). If that number is not 3 itself then it cannot be prime.

Wolf18

a who
Local time
-->
Apart from 3, 5, 7 there aren't any more (considering positive integers only). Consider the triplet p, p+2, p+4. One of them has to be divisible by 3 (because p+4=p+1 mod 3). If that number is not 3 itself then it cannot be prime.

Yes, of course. BigApplePi confused me because he said there were none. Thanks for the clarification.

SW

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
I haven't learned a whole lot of maths yet, but why isn't 3, 5, 7 a prime triplet?

SW
Holy cow! I made a mistake, lol. That IS a prime triplet, but there are no others.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
Thanks semicolon. You win the tricolon prize.

Top Bottom