• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • See https://www.intpforum.com/threads/upgrade-at-10-am-gmt.27631/

Adventures in Gob'Lund: Good Campaign Yes?

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today, 11:10
Joined
Mar 17, 2011
Messages
5,470
Welcome! Everyone has completed their pre-campaign lead up, so I may as well have you introduce yourselves. Here's the relevant context for any onlookers:

[Okay guys, I’m having a go at writing some. The campaign in general won’t be overly congested with written descriptions, but I find it useful at the start to set the scene. Criticism is appreciated, as I don’t pretend to be good.]

You become aware.

The world is so warm now. And small. You can’t move.

You have difficulty articulating thoughts in your head. Your mind is a primordial maelstrom of emotion.

Confusion.

Rage.

Hopelessness.

You have no memories. No thoughts to speak of, and no speech to express thoughts with.

Time passes.

Lost in a dark puddle of self, you gradually experience sensation. Somewhere down the line you map those sensation to your known sense of self, with an unknown element that implies space. Over more time, you realise that these sensations are predictable based on cognitive action taken, and by what seems like sheer luck your eyes open and the external world beckons.

Incomprehensible at first, this new exciting domain is now the focus of your existence.

Staring out of yourself, you become perceptive of surroundings, including those seemingly attached to yourself. You have a body, and you gradually infer that the movement of which is correlated with the sensations you experience later.

Outside of that which you’re causally attached to, there is other stuff. Some of it is moving.

You don’t have words for the things you see, but they ignite something in you: curiosity. At an unbelievable rate you master comprehension of the things around you that were previously unknowables. You are constrained within a vat of liquid. Little green beings interact with you at measured intervals. You are a thing that shares a space with that which you see.

Amidst your progress, one of the moving entities comes close. Close enough for you to see his face through the warped surface of your encapsulation. He bobs his head, and your world is turned upside down.

Well… ish. The external world again loses traction as you, the real *you* comes streaming back into focus. Memories, quirks, sentiment, and personality: you’re all here. Where are you, and why are you stuck in a pod being observed quietly by …goblins?! How did this happen?!

You’re covered in needles! Wow they look like they hurt!

!!!

Eventually, the capsule opens and clear fluids come rushing out. It’s an unpleasant experience, the pain of the needles comes rushing in to batter your reeling mind as your atrophied muscles realise they don’t know how to stand. It’s so brutally painful in fact, you pass out.

*You dream of how convenient passing out is as a plot mover for the DM.*
When you wake up, you find your body healed and able. You notice no measurable difference between your remembered ability and that which you currently possess. You’re garbed in simple clean grey shirt and pants. The room is sterile and padded. You sit on the top of a table.

A cowled man enters the otherwise bare room. His beady eyes focus intently on you from behind his long narrow nose. He gestures you to follow him.


What do?

The party were then individually moved through a small gauntlet of subtle and not so subtle tests while on their way to meet the powerful goblin wizard Rad'rax. Each player enters the game having been faced with similar options. I won't disclose the details as of yet, but a variety of outcomes were accomplished, and when the game starts each player is aware of very different things.

It's morning. Those who agreed to all stand outside the Rad'Raxian estate. Bundy is with you:


He's alongside a gentleman you've not had the pleasure of meeting thus far:


And several others you've not met up until this point (this is your cue to introduce yourself ffs take a hint). If you want, you can PM your introductory stuff and I'll post it, so that nobody can yet pin you to a particular character.

Anyone who opted for one of the alternative options, I will present your surroundings and options via PM.

This is the campaign thread for doing stuff in, the other one is for everything else. Please respect the intention of having both threads, I want to be able to access all information easily, as it tends to add up fast.

At this time we won't be moving past introductions and whatnot, saving the actual play for the campaign. I'll be releasing a doodle some time in the next few days, I'm aiming for Saturday coming on the usual timeslot.
 

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday, 14:40
Joined
Dec 12, 2009
Messages
8,402
A female strix who currently looks a lot less impressive than the picture stands with the group, currently eating a bagel, looking pretty dorky in ill-fitting leather, cradling a crossbow in one arm and a wooden shield strapped to the other.

She checks out the group, "Gee and I thought I was weird looking, so are we going to do the names thing or just stand around like mysterious dumbasses?"
 

Jennywocky

guud languager
Local time
Yesterday, 21:40
Joined
Sep 25, 2008
Messages
10,703
Location
Charn
The petite young blonde woman with a rich tan steps delicately as she approaches, somehow managing to not get mud on her shoes. Her dress seem far cleaner than you'd expect, and all of her clothes are neatly arranged, presenting a tidy appearance. She wears various bangles on her wrists, a ring set with a deep green stone, and a golden necklace. Her pointed nails are painted a rich green. In her left hand is a quarterstaff.

"Mmm, so I guess I wasn't the -only- one to find myself dragged off to this horribly grubby place?" she says, wrinkling her nose, looking around before sighing.

She holds one delicate hand aloft and a small green thrush with a fluffy tuft of feathers alights upon it, wings beating gently. She leans close to it, blonde hair framing her face. "Yes, Falisa Dayglow loves her baby bird, doesn't she?" she whispers, rubbing her nose against its iridescent chest. "Oh, yes, mommy does!" She flings her hand slightly, and the bird flutters up and around her a few times before settling on her shoulder.

"I have to say, that little green midget who forced me into this was contemptuous and so very rude. And he kept promising me an audience with this mysterious mister Rad'rax, which apparently fell through. I don't know what I did wrong or why he felt the need to break things, but I hope everyone else here is more polite, like my friend Bundy."

As she scans the group, her eyes light up as they settle on the massive knight hulking next to Bundy. "Well, I don't think I've met -you- before, Mister Tall, Dark, and Powerful. You have a face under that mask to go with that.... ummm... impressive bone structure?" she says, sashaying gently as she approaches him, gazing up at his imposing chest plate.

pics
She looks like this, although with a bit more mature body and a mix of innocence/confidence:



Her attitude can come across more like this, though:
[/QUOTE]
 

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday, 14:40
Joined
Dec 12, 2009
Messages
8,402
She leans close to it, blonde hair framing her face. "Yes, Falisa Dayglow loves her baby bird, doesn't she?" she whispers, rubbing her nose against its iridescent chest. "Oh, yes, mommy does!"
Behind her Lilith rolls her eyes and feigns throwing up.

"Well, I don't think I've met -you- before, Mister Tall, Dark, and Powerful. You have a face under that mask to go with that.... ummm... impressive bone structure?" she says, sashaying gently as she approaches him, gazing up at his imposing chest plate.
Looks at Blondie, then at the knight, back to Blondie, back at the knight, "Sadly I don't think it'll work out but maybe if you ride on his shoulder he'll tell you that he loves you and rub his nose in your chest while repeatedly calling himself your daddy?".
 

Jennywocky

guud languager
Local time
Yesterday, 21:40
Joined
Sep 25, 2008
Messages
10,703
Location
Charn
Falisa glances over, a hurt look on her face, then smirks when she sees who spoke.

"What a strange town, "she says, bemused. "First, angry midgets; now, talking animals. Either that, or someone's hideous mother was bedded by a giant crow. Will wonders never cease?"

She examines the other people present in turn.
 

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today, 11:40
Joined
Jun 10, 2012
Messages
6,994
Location
69S 69E
A short stocky man with long, dark brown braided beard and hair, an obviously broken-and-unbroken nose and dark brown eyes watches dispassionately as the two people in front of him exchange insults. He pays more attention to the armor being worn by the knight.

He raps against the armor with his knuckles, tilting his ear towards the plates as he does so, eyes closed. After several seconds he lifts his head slowly and opens his eyes, letting out a satisfied grunt before moving to the wall of the estate, closing his eyes and resting gently against it.
 

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today, 11:10
Joined
Mar 17, 2011
Messages
5,470
The armored hulk seems to not notice for a moment, then springs into a defensive posture, sword at the ready. He doesn't say anything, but the message is clear: "don't do that again".
 

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today, 11:40
Joined
Jun 10, 2012
Messages
6,994
Location
69S 69E
The short bearded man opens one eye, first looking curiously at the armored hulk before grunting with disapproval, almost as if the armored hulk were a misbehaving infant.

Now ignoring the hulk, he pulls a large ham from his backpack, tearing off a large chunk with his teeth and washing it down with a swig of ale. Once finished, he belches loudly in the direction of the angry armored hulk before bursting into deep, rumbling laughter.

He then returns to resting against the wall, eyes closed once again.
 

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today, 11:10
Joined
Mar 17, 2011
Messages
5,470
The armored warrior relaxes his guard the moment Varek is no longer displaying interest. The warrior moves nimbly for a person in full plate. After a few seconds pass with no further event, he expertly takes out a pen and paper (again, tricky in fullplate) and starts scribbling notes furiously.

Bundy introduces his friend; "this is Sir Gregor from Haitch'Arr, as fearsome as he looks you are discouraged from talking to him, as he's very busy documenting our performance. Do not rely on his support, as he is here for reasons different to your own and will not be there to babysit anyone".
 

Jennywocky

guud languager
Local time
Yesterday, 21:40
Joined
Sep 25, 2008
Messages
10,703
Location
Charn
Falisa frowns at Bundy. "Performance at what, exactly? So he's just going to come along and watch? What if something goes wrong and we're in need of help?"
 

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today, 11:10
Joined
Mar 17, 2011
Messages
5,470
Bundy shrugs.


¯\_(ツ)_/¯


"You're employees. Rad'rax is an employer. If he's paying you I expect he wants to know why?". He points a thumb at the armored figure, "...and that's what he's here for; it's not part of his job description to do anything more, and it's not part of mine either come to think of it".

He seems a bit confused at this, as if only now realising it for the first time.

"I won't waste my breath explaining our... er... *your* task... until all the members are here."


Heading to bed :)
 

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today, 11:10
Joined
Mar 17, 2011
Messages
5,470
A wiry figure, until now sitting apart from the group, swivels around at the mention of the task. Her brow and cheekbones are marked with angry gashes of warpaint, and a small pair of distinctly orcish teeth protrude from her lower lip. She gazes intently at Bundy, seemingly uninterested in the others, although the occasional suspicious twitch belies that.
In her lap, a hefty boa constrictor appears to be sleeping, until it slithers upwards and wraps around her head, turban-style.


Bundy stands there tapping his foot. There are still more to come.
 

Jennywocky

guud languager
Local time
Yesterday, 21:40
Joined
Sep 25, 2008
Messages
10,703
Location
Charn
Flix titters on Falisa's shoulder when he sees the nasty snake, and she takes him to the other side of the circle, watching it warily.
 

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday, 14:40
Joined
Dec 12, 2009
Messages
8,402
"I'd like to thank everyone for coming and welcome you all to our first annual Adventurers Anonymous meeting, my name is Lilith Asturias and I do not belong here."
 

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today, 11:10
Joined
Mar 17, 2011
Messages
5,470
The half-orc, after an obvious pause to think, seems to decide some amount of communication will be unavoidable.
"My name is Amox",
She points to the (again, apparently sleeping) boa coiled around her head:
"..and this is Snake."
 

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today, 11:10
Joined
Mar 17, 2011
Messages
5,470
A person of small stature joins you from inside the estate. The halfling fires off a sly grin at anyone watching, then abruptly swings around into a leaning position against the wall in one fluid action. A wicked dagger of high quality emerges from her robe, which she proceeds to sharpen with an obnoxiously prolonged scraping sound against a whetstone.

"SSSSKKKRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT!"

"SSSKKKKKRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTT!"

"SSKKKKKKRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTT!"
 

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday, 14:40
Joined
Dec 12, 2009
Messages
8,402



The half-orc, after an obvious pause to think, seems to decide some amount of communication will be unavoidable.
"My name is Amox",
She points to the (again, apparently sleeping) boa coiled around her head:
"..and this is Snake."
"No your snake is named either Solid, Liquid or Naked, now choose."

A person of small stature joins you from inside the estate. The halfling fires off a sly grin at anyone watching, then abruptly swings around into a leaning position against the wall in one fluid action. A wicked dagger of high quality emerges from her robe, which she proceeds to sharpen with an obnoxiously prolonged scraping sound against a whetstone.

"SSSSKKKRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRT!"

"SSSKKKKKRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRTTTTT!"

"SSKKKKKKRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTTT!"
Lilith walks over and squats beside the newcomer so they're about eye-level and smiles, "Hello, I don't get to make this offer to many people but you look lightweight and dangerous, if you want a ride let me know, until I get my hands on a longbow it's not like I'll be doing much anyway".
 

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today, 11:10
Joined
Mar 17, 2011
Messages
5,470
Sorry, it takes a while for messages to relay to me, then for me to have time to post them.

Brita conceals the knife back under her robe, and grins wildly. "I can ride on your back? Awesome. How fast can you go? Are you big for a birdman? Do you eat bird food or people food? If bird food, what kind of bird food? I've seen different kinds of birds eating all sorts of stuff."
 

Jennywocky

guud languager
Local time
Yesterday, 21:40
Joined
Sep 25, 2008
Messages
10,703
Location
Charn
Falisa marches over to Bundy, face stern, and clears her throat. "We need to talk!" she says loudly, then looks a bit surprised at how far her voice carries. She lowers it to a harsh whisper, grabs Bundy's arm, and pulls him back a little from the group.

The rest of her conversation with him is animated, involving a bit of finger-pointing as well as multiple looks over her shoulder at various people in the group.

EDIT: After Bundy responds with hushed comments, Falisa gets a dreamy look in her eye and smiles, then kisses Bundy daintily on the forehead and walks with purpose back into the circle.
 

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday, 14:40
Joined
Dec 12, 2009
Messages
8,402
Brita conceals the knife back under her robe, and grins wildly. "I can ride on your back? Awesome. How fast can you go? Are you big for a birdman? Do you eat bird food or people food? If bird food, what kind of bird food? I've seen different kinds of birds eating all sorts of stuff."
Lilith response with likewise rapid speech "Of course, approximately 40ft/sec in a dive, I was raised by humans so I don't know what natives of my race eat, I eat a typical human diet but who knows..." she grins playfully, "maybe my kind eats curious halflings, you do look pretty tasty" and pinches the halfling's cheek as if appraising tenderness.
 

Jennywocky

guud languager
Local time
Yesterday, 21:40
Joined
Sep 25, 2008
Messages
10,703
Location
Charn
Falisa sticks out in her tongue in distaste...
 

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday, 14:40
Joined
Dec 12, 2009
Messages
8,402
Stretches out her wing and smothers Falisa with the tip-feathers.

(like having a feather duster in you face)
 

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today, 11:10
Joined
Mar 17, 2011
Messages
5,470
A dishevelled young man emerges from the estate at a guilty shuffle, half-wearing a pink bathrobe he appears to be hopefully coaxing into a white shirt. The words "I am beautiful, no matter where I fray" glimmer briefly before melting into a cynically billowing white sleeve. Sighing dramatically, he glances up and almost immediately retracts his emotional projection, face settling into an uncomfortably vacuous mask as his gaze flickers over the group. Strix, dwarf, halfing, Bundy his diplomatically saved partner-in-crime, ginormous metal scribe, and - the shirt glows pink as he notices Falisa - young blonde. He awkwardly transitions his shuffle into the dancing variety, causing his weaponry to clang together in a strange sort of harmony as he makes his epileptic way to the group. He sweeps an elegant bow upon reaching them, the courtly gesture at odds with his lazily nondescript appearance. "Assume I'm just like, all average height and really brown and mousy all over the place" whispers none of the obvious orifices, causing him to shrink in embarrassment and lapse into talking.

"Hi, my name is (what), my name is (who), my name is... Em...mental. Emmental de Savoie. But you may call me Inconsistently Pressed for short."

His eyes sidle hopefully from person to pseudo-person.

"And uh, my hobbies include milking things. And ... long walks on the beach."
 

Jennywocky

guud languager
Local time
Yesterday, 21:40
Joined
Sep 25, 2008
Messages
10,703
Location
Charn
Falisa allows a pleasant giggle to escape her lips, her cheeks flushing delicately as she idles towards the newcomer. "Alas," she says to Emmental, offering him her hand, "there are no beaches here. I suppose that narrows our options considerably."

She looks earnestly up into his eyes. "Please. Tell me more about cheese."
 

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today, 11:10
Joined
Mar 17, 2011
Messages
5,470
Emmental leaps back with the spindly alacrity of a horrified grasshopper encountering the Ph'awth Whorl - a curvy plant notorious for entrapping hapless grasshoppers.
He mumbles something about it being a bad idea for him to expound too much on any one topic, and trails off into banal non-sequiturs about giant treasonous winged lizards.
 

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today, 11:10
Joined
Mar 17, 2011
Messages
5,470
Lilith response with likewise rapid speech "Of course, approximately 40ft/sec in a dive, I was raised by humans so I don't know what natives of my race eat, I eat a typical human diet but who knows..." she grins playfully, "maybe my kind eats curious halflings, you do look pretty tasty" and pinches the halfling's cheek as if appraising tenderness.
Brita laughs a little too hard at that. "Well, I'm used to dealing with heights, so whatever this job entails, if it can be made easier with me on wing, I'm good for it".

Bundy turns up an eyebrow at this and clears his throat, as if compliance has not been one of Brita's strongpoints previously.
 

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today, 11:10
Joined
Mar 17, 2011
Messages
5,470
A quiet gentleman who is decidedly nondescript walks out and sits on his own facing away from the group.
 

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday, 14:40
Joined
Dec 12, 2009
Messages
8,402
Lilith nods towards the newcomer and whispers to Brita conspiratorially "Cover me", grinning deviously she takes flight and lands in front of the gentlemen, loaded crossbow in his face "Now mister we're plenty strange but there's no strangers among us, give me your name or..." her voice slightly falters "I'll take your handsome face".
 
Top Bottom