• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Age 40, Second Career Search

michael4422

Redshirt
Local time
Today 6:38 PM
-->
I just thought I'd throw this out.

Any careers/jobs ideas for INTPs starting over at 40?

I have a BA in Music but I'm looking at Associate Degrees in growing fields. Programming seems like the only interesting option. I'm looking into that. I'm going through some Python tutorials.

Cheers!

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Tomorrow 8:38 AM
-->
It'd be easier to just drink yourself into depression. Aspirations are way too much effort.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Today 4:38 PM
-->
You shouldn't be asking us, you should be asking yourself. I just heard the story of a woman who raised kids, then wanted to become a judge in her 50's. Went to law school and did so, she retired in her 70's. Amazing story, don't know how she pulled that off. So you can do anything frankly at nearly any age, as long as you have the perseverance and interest.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
It'd be easier to just drink yourself into depression. Aspirations are way too much effort.

Some of us are talented enough to become horribly depressed without relying on the crutch of alcohol. :D

Anyway, I agree with Architect. The key point is perseverence, though (+ the resources to chase something).

Local time
Today 4:38 PM
-->
I would suggest reading or listening to Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill. I found the audio version was the easiest to listen to. Very motivational. Helps with goal setting, organized planning, and building up the passion to persevere.

michael4422

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Truly good advice. I need to read that good again. Also The Power of Awareness.

I've been trying to come up with an interesting direction that will provide a decent living while I pursue more risky passions. But maybe I need to focus on what I truly want and work at Trader Joe's or anywhere else. I think Roosevelt had a quote about "poor saps living in the gray area, knowing neither success or defeat."

Local time
Today 11:38 PM
-->
Depends on what your personal talents are + what your interests are + demand in the marketplace.

Generally, compensation will be directly proportional to any particular thing no one else can and/or does not want to do and therefore individuals/ society will be willing to pay you to do that thing.

It is critical to understand the above + on top of all of that one must be self aware and know their MBTI, personal limitations, etc.

I know someone who was burnt out in their early 30s in their given career and so they determined to get into medical school and become a surgeon. There were lots of obstacles but they made it by their early 40s. This person nearly missed out on their real calling in life.

Might I suggest:
start from scratch. Be sure and remind yourself that its sort of a big deal to get into a second career at 40 therefore there must be much thought and time and effort put into the ultimate decision. Probably don't want to be starting over at 45, 50, 55. Traction is important.

Start from scratch. An ideal starting point would probably be to get ahold of the list of all possible occupations (US dept of labor website is a great source), income, lifestyle, nature of the work, etc and start the process of elimination.

Jenny is right about resources: be careful to plan within the given limits of reality.

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
Tomorrow 5:38 AM
-->

juansk

Skeptic
Local time
Today 7:38 PM
-->
Programming/economics/developmental psychology those will open your mind, big time.

DIALECTIC

Local time
Today 11:38 PM
-->
I just thought I'd throw this out.

Any careers/jobs ideas for INTPs starting over at 40?

I have a BA in Music but I'm looking at Associate Degrees in growing fields. Programming seems like the only interesting option. I'm looking into that. I'm going through some Python tutorials.

Cheers!

Welcome to the club ! 40 here too and wanting to start over having followed passionate path(s) that led to a lot of chaos...

I am curious, why did you decide to start over ? Any triggers ?

Top Bottom