• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Aging

kaelum

Local time
Today 1:33 AM
-->
I have my 32nd birthday approaching, so I am wondering what others' views on aging are.

For example, is being older a good thing? a bad thing, and why you see it that way...and how stuff like wrinkles and white hair might make you feel.

Here's my view in spoilers in case you're interested:

I'm looking forward to being older, more established in my career, and being more comfortable with who I am and with the world around me. I'm sort of curious about the wrinkles and white hair---and how I would look as an older person

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Well, being older has one positive where you hopefully know yourself a bit better, and you've also seen SO much stuff go under/over the bridge (and managed to deal with it) that future trials don't seem quite as difficult or don't fluster you as much. You just are more apt to ride troubles out, steady as she goes.

I'm not really looking forward to being less physically capable, where it's a noticeable decline, though. It's odd enough getting aches and pains over things that used to just be routine, or to gain weight because the metabolism slows down.

Grayman

Soul Shade
Local time
Yesterday 10:33 PM
-->
Just don't get set in your ways. Stay uncomfortable and always over stress yourself.

Local time
Today 5:33 AM
-->
I want to only live to 70. By this time I should have been able to help my kids get established with their families and then I won't have to burden the earth with my physical presence.

I realized this the other day all of a sudden when someone offered me some healthy food. When I politely declined their offer they expressed concern about the junky food I was eating instead. Because I believe in an afterlife that is better than this life I am looking forward to resting this physical body in peace. Yet I can understand the angst and over concern about healthy eating, etc of those who believe that this life is all there is.

I notice the happiest older people are those who are most loyal to their own families in all the little things (and big things of course, too) over the span of their lifetimes. Just saying.

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
-->
I have this strange feeling of my mind contracting as I age. I feel as I age, the more closeminded I become, and I don't mean closeminded in the conventional sense. I mean 'closeminded' in the extreme sense. I think, as I age, I'm less able to come up with or entertain extreme ideas. On the positive, it leaves me with a feeling of certainty. On the negative, I feel as though I am not able to learn as much.

I actually like the white hair and wrinkles. I prefer immortality, but I'm not actively pursuing it.

Milo

Brain Programmer
Local time
-->
Oddly enough, I'm not looking forward to midlife, but when I get to retirement age where I can just settle down and do whatever I want and not have to worry about money, I'll probably move to a secluded country home where it is easiest to smoke weed and hang with any older friends who would also enjoy the same thing (probably move to an area it's been legalized in).

Hopefully I can spark some more interests to explore during my 30's-50's to spend my money on.

Rook

enter text
Local time
Today 7:33 AM
-->
I do not fear aging, as it is a an natural occurence. I do fear the neurological degredation that affects one as one grows older, though. I dread such things as dementia and alzheimer's.

just george

Bull**** Artist ENTP 8w7
Local time
Today 4:03 PM
-->
It's a good reminder that the time we have is precious, and to let go of all the silly little things that upset us but don't really matter.

That being said, I'd like to try my hand at reversing it electromedically.

BluePantsMcgee

Eluding cloud
Local time
Today 6:33 AM
-->
Aging itself in the general life is in my opinion part of the learning. And I am curious about how I progress and wonder if I will change alot. Still I do not look forward to it like most probably. I am not a big fan of change.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
@Milo
Oddly enough, I'm not looking forward to midlife, but when I get to retirement age where I can just settle down and do whatever I want and not have to worry about money, I'll probably move to a secluded country home where it is easiest to smoke weed and hang with any older friends who would also enjoy the same thing (probably move to an area it's been legalized in).
I'm looking to where I'm at because my future is limited ... well not exactly. I have things going that out of curiosity I need to live longer to see what will happen.

Hopefully I can spark some more interests to explore during my 30's-50's to spend my money on.
Hopefully I can develop my current interests to explore during my 70's-90's to spend my time on.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->

Coolydudey

You could say that.
Local time
-->
@DrGregoryHouseI remember when I was 69.999. I didn't think that. Now I'll have to wait around to see if you change your mind.

Wow there BAP, how old are you? It always showed that you were one of our seniors, but I'd never thought more than about 50

Duxwing

I've Overcome Existential Despair
Local time
-->
Physically, I hate aging, and I've thought about it ever since I was young. I don't want to become slow, fat, weak, ugly, and then die. I'll make the best of it, but I will hate it. I am also terrified of possible late-life mental degradation because most of my self and much of what I value is in my mind. Dementia would be the worst because it would erase my memories, dismantle my rational faculties, and send me on wild flights of intuition. I hope that Architect is right--that the Singularity will come to rescue me from the decaying corpse that I will doubtless one day inhabit.

Otherwise, I have six principal fears:
1.) Accident. Death by accident is almost inescapable and cruelly ironic.
2.) Homicide. Death by homicide is only almost entirely preventable even when uploaded.
3.) Neurological disease. I most likely am a brain (electronic or squishy) and therefore need to ensure its function in order to continue existing in any capacity.
4.) Psychic degradation. Even if I upload my consciousness, becoming jaded and bored would make having a functioning brain almost useless.
5.) Cardiovascular disease. Unpredictable, horrifically injurious within seconds, and deadly within minutes. If I'm going to survive for longer than a few decades, then I need to get out of this body.
6.) Cancer. Rogue cells revolt, potentially metastasizing within days. As aforementioned, the human body is a death trap from which I must escape post haste.

If safe, reliable, long-term suspended animation becomes available, then I'll jump into a tank until safe, reliable, long-term mind uploading becomes possible; at that point, I will with frosty nose step into the uploading station.

-Duxwing

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
@Coolydudey
Wow there BAP, how old are you? It always showed that you were one of our seniors, but I'd never thought more than about 50
What's with this "50" business anyway? When I was 50 I was hardly getting started. I'm the same age as the number of trombones in that song. How old are you ... as if we are not sure how much that makes a difference?

Coolydudey

You could say that.
Local time
-->
@Coolydudey
What's with this "50" business anyway? When I was 50 I was hardly getting started. I'm the same age as the number of trombones in that song. How old are you ... as if we are not sure how much that makes a difference?

I lost you in that post... I do not understand any part of it. You can figure out my age from the fact that I'm starting university, something you know.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
I lost you in that post... I do not understand any part of it. You can figure out my age from the fact that I'm starting university, something you know.
I'm right here so you didn't really lose me, but I don't understand it either. Perhaps someone can volunteer to unravel it so everything is clear.

Hold on. I found a clue: 2 and a half minutes in:

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
-->
Aging itself in the general life is in my opinion part of the learning. And I am curious about how I progress and wonder if I will change alot. Still I do not look forward to it like most probably. I am not a big fan of change.

Sound morelike 'coping mechanism' rather than 'learning.'

BAP's a troll.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
I am wondering what others' views on aging are.

For example, is being older a good thing? a bad thing, and why you see it that way...and how stuff like wrinkles and white hair might make you feel.
I started this post last night but got distracted.

That's an excellent question and I've thought of it time-to-time. On this forum it makes a difference because so many are in their twenties and even less. You guys are just starting out in life, I am at the other end. That is, I can see the other end while you guys are just beginning.

Actually that means we have things in common because we both are near end points.

I'm sure there is lots more I could say about aging because I'm there. Don't be shy about asking questions in the way of continuing this thread. Don't worry about my sensitivity. I'm not that vulnerable.

ahugenerd

INTJ and a huge nerd
Local time
-->
My mind, body and hairline are already deteriorating at a faster rate than most at my age, so I try not to let age become a factor in anything.

How would your ideas of the world change if you are, in the normative sense, limited, but free to do anything else?

John_Mann

Local time
-->
Calorie restriction, a lot of daily exercises, metformin, astragalus, resveratrol and other stuff will keep my telomeres in order until gene therapy will cure all clinical diseases, aging included.

Speaking of gene therapy, this year will be released the first gene therapy drug: Glybera.

Good news to whom suffer pancreatitis, bad news it will cost +- 1.5 million dollars (initially).

Aging is related to SIRT1 gene. A way to stop aging would be through telomerase (self repair telomeres).

AAV_Gene_Therapy.jpg

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
I am wondering what others' views on aging are.
Calorie restriction, a lot of daily exercises, metformin, astragalus, resveratrol and other stuff will keep my telomeres in order until gene therapy will cure all clinical diseases, aging included.
I have accepted one can't stop aging, but all those things are a great way to slow it down. Be not afiir'd.

paradoxparadigm7

Local time
Today 12:33 AM
-->
Well, being older has one positive where you hopefully know yourself a bit better, and you've also seen SO much stuff go under/over the bridge (and managed to deal with it) that future trials don't seem quite as difficult or don't fluster you as much. You just are more apt to ride troubles out, steady as she goes.

I'm not really looking forward to being less physically capable, where it's a noticeable decline, though. It's odd enough getting aches and pains over things that used to just be routine, or to gain weight because the metabolism slows down.

This and I'll add that although I'm more calm in the face of difficulties or successes, it never gets easier. What I mean by this is no matter what age you are, you're placed in a position where you grapple with difficult choices. You're confronted by your limitations and time itself impacts you to a greater degree that makes dilemmas all the more important and yet at the same time not important at all. I find as I age, I'm more comfortable with uncertainty. Dichotomies become whole and I've incorporated the whole within me. When I cry, I laugh and when I laugh, I cry. It's as if I've come closer to my essence. My bodies deterioration is replaced by whatever inner beauty I've developed and I'm more apt to share it.

John_Mann

Local time
-->
David Sinclair is an authority in the subject too.

Elizabeth Blackburn too.

Pinion

ISTJ Boogeyman
Local time
Today 12:33 AM
-->
I'm actually in agreement with OP.

What do I lose with age? Sex appeal, fertility, mobility, and metabolism, mostly. The only one I value is my mobility, but I can preserve quite a bit of that by taking good care of my body.

Age brings with it the cliches in addition to the fruits of anything cultivated in youth. For every single thing I lose I could gain two, three, or more things depending on how I play my cards now.

PhoenixRising

nyctophiliac
Local time
Yesterday 10:33 PM
-->
I'd like to become very old.. ancient even ^^ (with time comes wisdom - who knows what a couple thousand years worth of understanding would be like!)

But, I don't want to age. The process of aging itself is a deterioration of the body. How can one grow in wisdom without efficient mental faculties and the physical capability needed to do research? I would prefer to live a very long time, but prevent deterioration of my form..

*bwahahaha time for some SCIENCE* =D

Top Bottom