• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Am I ENTP or INTP?

marie

Local time
Today 4:49 PM
-->
So I considered myself INTP though sometimes I feel like I'm an ENTP. This is where things gets tricky.

INTP is Ti-Ne-Si-Fe
ENTP is Ne-Ti-Fe-Si

Same functions,slightly different order. They almost look the same.

I see the world as an interconnect ideas that needs to be explored. I'm curious how and why things work. For example our instructor said you need to use sphygmomanometer to take blood pressure and the normal value is 120/80. I'm curious why is the blood pressure is 120/80 ,why not 140/90? and why sphygmomanometer? Is it possible to use other device to take blood pressure instead of sphygmomanometer? I have many interest , I jump from one topic to another. I am indecisive , when I was in high school I want to be a rockstar, actress, astronomer, chemical engineer or psychologist. I don't know what course I want so they suggested I should take nursing. I find some subjects interesting so I took up nursing. I have love-hate relationship with my course, I hate it because it's a heavy SJ profession and I'm bad at memorizing. I have a selective memory I only remember stuff that I am interested. I love it because I find some subjects fun. I love to learn new stuff because it is fun. It feels like a new world has been open up to me. And we also have nursing rounds we go on one hospital to another . We do that every month. And I like the experiencing something new. I get bored easily. I want to do and try a lot's of stuff but I don't have time. And I want to do many things that I end up being unproductive sometimes because I don't know where to start.

I can relate to funkymbtifiction description of inferior Si. I'm not sure of Ne-Ti-Fe. I'm pretty much heads on the clouds. Sometimes I need to write my to do list on my right palm (I'm lefty) so that I wouldn't forget the task/homework I needed to do. And I always lost my stuff. I'm not in-tune with other peoples emotions but I would try my best to get along with them. And I'm there for my friends if they have a problem, I try to help them. My relatives describe me as crazy and talkative. But if I'm with strangers they always say I'm too quiet. I used to be outgoing when I was younger but most of my classmates thinks I'm weird. I've been called weird throughout my life, elementary, high school and college. In short I'm a natural born weirdo. My mom always compares me to other kids. I think she's an SJ .I feel like I'm not good enough. Though I still love her. I feel rejected by my peers and mom so I've become a loner and shy. I want to be admired, I want people to think I'm awesome. xD

Though I did have extroverted phase during my early college years I ended up being a loner again because I can't get along with other people. Though I still like to talk to other people sometimes. I want to be friendly but it feels like I'm alienated. I have difficulty connecting with other people. Hm it is my dream to travel and meet new people. I want to know their ideas and experiences.

Having fun is my priority in life. Lulz I took another enneagram then I got 7w6. It feels like as I get older, I feel more adventurous about stuff. I do enjoy my alone time. But I'm happier when I learn something or experience something new.

Local time
Today 8:49 AM
-->
ENTP, assuming you identify with inferior Si and the phenomenon of becoming more adventurous over time is a result of the development of tertiary Fe. 7w6 matches up too, especially if you can eliminate ENFP. I'd expect some degree of ambiguity from a male ENFP or female ENTP due to cultural stuff.

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
Today 5:49 PM
-->
It could just be a phase though, but enjoying that phase for what's it worth isn't bad at all either. A lot of what type is is malleable, so 'feeling' ENTP or 'being' INTP doesn't mean you were that particular type "all along".

The thing to note about the ENTP-INTP relationship is that they're actually an 'inside out' version of each other. Notice how the Ti-Ne and Si-Fe is switched? Here's a visual to digest the idea better:

INTP: [Ti, Ne, Si, Fe] [A, B, B, A]
ENTP: [Ne, Ti, Fe, Si] [B, A, A, B]

Personally, I 'feel' like I'm turned inside-out when I'm in my ENTP mode.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
Today 9:49 AM
-->
If open-mindedness is your biggest asset and routine/discipline (cleaning, grooming, planning, taking customs into account, not overstepping boundaries) your biggest issue, i would conclude ENTP over INTP. If a consistent and reliable logical system is your biggest asset and warming up to people or presenting favorably (humor, enthusiasm, validation) is your biggest issue, i would conclude INTP over ENTP.

ENTP is bothered more by mindless habit, while INTP is bothered more by superficial tact. Ironically, Ne-doms are very susceptible to dumb habits like drug abuse, and Ti-doms are very prone to over-politeness.

An INTP may look down on an ENTP's whimsical or detached ideation, deeming it dishonest or useless. An ENTP may look down on an INTP's stubborn unwillingness to join in or let things happen, deeming it arrogant or stiff.

These things are all very hard to distinguish, and i have the same problem as you have. Lately i'm pretty sure ENTP is the best fit for me, both in terms of self-actualization instrumentality and sheer factual description. If there's a difference there, i don't know. More difficult distinctions :D Anyway, i identify a lot with your view on things and your life history.

If you are unable to find a stable, self-nourishing life path despite material circumstances indicating otherwise, you are likely Ne-dom.

If you have a life path and sufficiently functional habits but struggle to find any satisfaction within it, you are likely Ne-aux.

One thing to remember is that E/I does not necessarily correspond to some gauge of that trait in personality trait psychology. Typology is distinct from personality trait psychology as exists today, although it really should be a branch of it. Preferably there should be new terms for all typology concepts.

You are not Ixxx just because you like sitting around inside or hate crowds or get distracted easily. Especially not now with the internet. Typology I/E describes a different aspect, it describes how you cognitively engage with concepts. Ixxx likes to absorb and mull on a single thing and accumulate, while Exxx likes acknowledging and connecting different things, and also can handle temporary dissonance better for the purpose of exploring things. Further distinctions depend on the specific functions in question, as outlined above for INTP/ENTP.

There's things like phobias which may interfere with the expression of type although really orthogonal in terms of underlying mechanism. Type is what your brain wants to be, phobia is a conditioning that inhibits growth.

Let me ask: If you picture an ideal life, how does it look like? What are the essential constituents of your dream existence?

Finally, there's nothing but dogma to say that type is static.

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
-->
You are not Ixxx just because you like sitting around inside or hate crowds or get distracted easily. Especially not now with the internet. Typology I/E describes a different aspect, it describes how you cognitively engage with concepts. Ixxx likes to absorb and mull on a single thing and accumulate, while Exxx likes acknowledging and connecting different things, and also can handle temporary dissonance better for the purpose of exploring things. Further distinctions depend on the specific functions in question, as outlined above for INTP/ENTP.
^ yeah, 'mbti introvertedness' and 'introversion' itself are two different things, good pointer

marie

Local time
-->
It could just be a phase though, but enjoying that phase for what's it worth isn't bad at all either. A lot of what type is is malleable, so 'feeling' ENTP or 'being' INTP doesn't mean you were that particular type "all along".

The thing to note about the ENTP-INTP relationship is that they're actually an 'inside out' version of each other. Notice how the Ti-Ne and Si-Fe is switched? Here's a visual to digest the idea better:

INTP: [Ti, Ne, Si, Fe] [A, B, B, A]
ENTP: [Ne, Ti, Fe, Si] [B, A, A, B]

Personally, I 'feel' like I'm turned inside-out when I'm in my ENTP mode.

Hm you have a point about that. Well I'm only 19. I'm already in senior college. I'm stressed out already. I feel like I have no control of my life. Because I don't even like my major. I don't want to work as a nurse. Being trapped to do something I don't even like. Plus, we have a very strict rules in our school. I want to be free maybe that's why I feel adventurous.

If open-mindedness is your biggest asset and routine/discipline (cleaning, grooming, planning, taking customs into account, not overstepping boundaries) your biggest issue, i would conclude ENTP over INTP. If a consistent and reliable logical system is your biggest asset and warming up to people or presenting favorably (humor, enthusiasm, validation) is your biggest issue, i would conclude INTP over ENTP.

ENTP is bothered more by mindless habit, while INTP is bothered more by superficial tact. Ironically, Ne-doms are very susceptible to dumb habits like drug abuse, and Ti-doms are very prone to over-politeness.

An INTP may look down on an ENTP's whimsical or detached ideation, deeming it dishonest or useless. An ENTP may look down on an INTP's stubborn unwillingness to join in or let things happen, deeming it arrogant or stiff.

These things are all very hard to distinguish, and i have the same problem as you have. Lately i'm pretty sure ENTP is the best fit for me, both in terms of self-actualization instrumentality and sheer factual description. If there's a difference there, i don't know. More difficult distinctions :D Anyway, i identify a lot with your view on things and your life history.

If you are unable to find a stable, self-nourishing life path despite material circumstances indicating otherwise, you are likely Ne-dom.

If you have a life path and sufficiently functional habits but struggle to find any satisfaction within it, you are likely Ne-aux.

One thing to remember is that E/I does not necessarily correspond to some gauge of that trait in personality trait psychology. Typology is distinct from personality trait psychology as exists today, although it really should be a branch of it. Preferably there should be new terms for all typology concepts.

There's things like phobias which may interfere with the expression of type although really orthogonal in terms of underlying mechanism. Type is what your brain wants to be, phobia is a conditioning that inhibits growth.

Let me ask: If you picture an ideal life, how does it look like? What are the essential constituents of your dream existence?

I don't have problem warming up to people. I don't feel comfortable showing my emotions. But I know how to make other people loved. I don't show affection to my relatives. But when it comes to friends I can easily say I have a crush on them or I love them. Hm I am over-polite. I don't do drugs,drink or smoke. If I'm going to do something stupid I would want to have sex with other people find a fwb. But of course I would be cautious because I don't want to get pregnant. And if I did get pregnant I will not abort it. I should face the consequences of my actions. Maybe I am tert-Si because I'm cautious xD. Hm I think I open-minded. I'm not into BDSM but I would try it and I like the idea of speed dating.

I have bad habits. I get addicted easily. So I try to avoid alcohol,drugs and smoking. My room is very messy. And yes I have problem with grooming. Kinda embarrassing xD
And my sleeping pattern is messed up.

My ideal life? Well I just want to get a job to earn some money. Buy material stuff like books and gaming consoles. Do whatever that interest me at the moment. Simple stuff. I want my own house. Hm I dream of creating some stuff. Arts or invention. I want to bring the ideas in my head a reality. And if possible I want to earn some money and donate it to charity. I want to help other people. My goal in life is to travel to different places and taste variety of food. I want to meet other people. Learn about their cultures. Take pictures and make a scrapbook about my adventures.

Hm I am sure I'm an NTP Ti-Ne/Ne-Ti describes me perfectly. I haven't had a full grasp of how each function works together yet. So I'm not sure if I'm a Ne or a Ti-dom.

marie

Local time
-->
Now that I think abou it I get annoyed displaying superficial tact. I am surrounded by Fe-doms and Fe-aux. I am in college taking nursing course. They annoy me , all they say is you never think of me as a human, you don't care about other people, stop being selfish, be considerate of other peoples feeling. It fucking annoys me!!!!!!
I hate Fe-doms!! Though Fe-aux are tolerable, but they annoy me if they start to get clingy. Kinda funny I'm also a Fe-user I get along very well with Fi-doms (INFPs and ISFPs)

I'm not sure it seems both my Ne and Ti are well-developed. Maybe I am an INTP going through some phase. What do people viewing my thread think?

I find jungian functions intriguing but I think mbti system is flawed. Don't know how to put it into words. Hmm Though I could be wrong since I haven't had a full grasp of how each functions interact with one another.

Analyzer

Hide thy life
Local time
Today 1:49 AM
-->

This has me thinking I am a ENTP, especially the bold. The thing is one of my good friends IRL describes himself as a ENTP, but compared to me he is a lot more utility oriented, externally successful, and good at networking, ect...Perhaps hes not even a intuitive? I always thought I was a introvert due to my secrecy and quietness, but like you are saying these terms mean different things.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
Today 9:49 AM
-->
This has me thinking I am a ENTP, especially the bold. The thing is one of my good friends IRL describes himself as a ENTP, but compared to me he is a lot more utility oriented, externally successful, and good at networking, ect...Perhaps hes not even a intuitive? I always thought I was a introvert due to my secrecy and quietness, but like you are saying these terms mean different things.

And this has me thinking i am INTP, because having anyone listen to and be affected by my musings causes a lot of guilt :D

Analyzer

Hide thy life
Local time
-->
And this has me thinking i am INTP, because having anyone listen to and be affected by my musings causes a lot of guilt :D

your musings are interesting. What is difference between mbti introvert and extrovert or are these labels meaningless without attaching a certain function to it?

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
-->
I also feel this. So I am an INTP going through some phase called adulthood :D

Maybe. Probably! INTP and their Pness ;)

Sir Eus Lee

I am wholely flattered you would take about 2 and
Local time
-->
I find jungian functions intriguing

For some reason, ENXPs use "intriguing" a lot. Therefore, you are ENTP.

Most of the important things have already been said. I identify as INTP, but I do swing into pseudo ENTP mode sometimes, but its not natural or pretty. I usually am somewhat outgoing, but that's part of an ongoing moral and philosophical dilemma of if I should engage somebody in conversation or if I shouldnt. I'm still stuck on that, but anyway.

I would suggest figuring out cognitive functions as best you can. Understanding their interworkings and play on your consciousness is really insightful and enlightening (ignoring the deterministic aspects of it, but that's a separate issue). Once you identify which you're using and when you're using them, you'll figure it all out.

The tough part but the teenage years is that that's around when Ne develops. Don't take this as functional doctrine (or any of this); Ne seems to develop in skips. Interaction with the outside world takes leaps when the INTP realizes certain aspects they find very very important but that they lack in. These leaps might have happened when young and the INTP may have had to extrovert, developing Ne a lot, but they also might have not taken place and Ne naturally emerged in the teenage years. The latter is what occurs for me.

What I see is that the ENTP's Ti is more naturally embraced than the INTP's Ne, but what do I know.

Good luck.

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
-->
My uncles and ENTP but he runs his work and home like clockwork.
Real strict. Maybe that's just learned.

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
-->

marie

Local time
-->
For some reason, ENXPs use "intriguing" a lot. Therefore, you are ENTP.

Most of the important things have already been said. I identify as INTP, but I do swing into pseudo ENTP mode sometimes, but its not natural or pretty. I usually am somewhat outgoing, but that's part of an ongoing moral and philosophical dilemma of if I should engage somebody in conversation or if I shouldnt. I'm still stuck on that, but anyway.

I would suggest figuring out cognitive functions as best you can. Understanding their interworkings and play on your consciousness is really insightful and enlightening (ignoring the deterministic aspects of it, but that's a separate issue). Once you identify which you're using and when you're using them, you'll figure it all out.

The tough part but the teenage years is that that's around when Ne develops. Don't take this as functional doctrine (or any of this); Ne seems to develop in skips. Interaction with the outside world takes leaps when the INTP realizes certain aspects they find very very important but that they lack in. These leaps might have happened when young and the INTP may have had to extrovert, developing Ne a lot, but they also might have not taken place and Ne naturally emerged in the teenage years. The latter is what occurs for me.

What I see is that the ENTP's Ti is more naturally embraced than the INTP's Ne, but what do I know.

Good luck.

Cause it really is intriguing.

marie

Local time
-->
OP, in my view, having only read some things here and there you might be an ENFP.
if not check out ESTP.

ENFP doesn't sound bad. I don't think I'm an ESTP :/ ESTP are action oriented. Nursing is more of hands-on profession. I always got scolded for being too slow. I'm oblivious to my surroundings. I know ESTPs in real life. They're more interested in gyms and sports. I'm bad at sports. I prefer to live in my imaginary world. :p

marie

Local time
-->
mr1hh.jpg

I just took a cognitive test online. It says my Ti-Ne-Si are well-developed. I therefore conclude I'm an INTP. Hm though other possible types are ENTP and ISTJ. Hm I have to agree that personality is malleable. So I can act like a crazy ENTP or a dutiful ISTJ. But still my mental preference is Ti-Ne-Si-Fe . Anyway I'm getting tired of mbti stereotypes. Like all INTPs care about is pure theory. I both care about theory and application. And stuff like we don't care about other people's emotion. Maybe INTP stereotype would apply to me during my younger years. But as I grow old I started caring about their emotions and started opening up to them. Though I admit it makes me uncomfortable sometimes. I think there are some biases when it comes to interpretation of each type. Maybe I should read the real deal "Psychological Types by Carl Jung" . Though I don't know where to get a copy .I want to read it just for the sake of obtaining new knowledge then maybe I would move on to another topic. xD

Anyway thanks for your feedback guys/gals.

Top Bottom