• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Analytical vs Intuitive thought process.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 12:45 AM
-->
I saw this on INTJf and thought you guys might like this one so I am posting it here as well.

http://www.labinthewild.org/studies/analytic_test/

My results:

FOjCsvz.png

Cogitant

Fiducial Observer
Local time
Today 5:45 AM
-->
[bimgx=250]http://www.relatably.com/m/img/both-memes/3713816.jpg[/bimgx]
[bimgx=550]http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/excogitant/balance_zpseeqn8wmq.png[/bimgx]

Grayman

Soul Shade
Local time
Yesterday 10:45 PM
-->
I prefer functional relations over categorical ones. In my experience that type of thinking is more beneficial.

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 6:45 PM
-->
Interesting test. I got a mixed result as well.

Attachments

• Polaris.png
    Polaris.png
    19 KB · Views: 742

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 4:45 PM
-->
khtchtR.png

Not a bad test.

Based on the average it seems slightly skewed, or maybe we could infer that the population of people who take this test are simply slightly more holistic than analytical. I wonder how you'd extrapolate that to the rest of the population accurately (if at all possible).

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
khtchtR.png

Not a bad test.

Based on the average it seems slightly skewed, or maybe we could infer that the population of people who take this test are simply slightly more holistic than analytical. I wonder how you'd extrapolate that to the rest of the population accurately (if at all possible).

What's more is how would you use this info to present info in a truely culturally fair environment.

I noticed some things about this test. One thing actually. The results given are based on benchmark scores, not an actual scale that is very specific. There are prolly only like 7 levels or something.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
The test does ask for things like country/age/gender so you could only assume that the data interpretation of it would account for that. At least they should otherwise I don't see the point of asking for those things prior to it.

Grayman

Soul Shade
Local time
Yesterday 10:45 PM
-->
I dont see how this might be related to culture outside of language. I think a persons job is more likely to alter there preference for how they choose to relate various objects and concepts.

0neKiwi

Unstable
Local time
Yesterday 11:45 PM
-->
I scored between average and the bar between the two sides.

Based on your results, your thinking style appears to be both intuitive and analytic. When tackling a problem, you may tend to focus both on the larger picture and on specific details.

Mixed results?

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 3:15 PM
-->
If they're talking about results in relation to right vs. left brain thinking, it's not likely they're doing good science. You use all of your brain, and the vast majority of processes are represented bilaterally. It's true that people are more analytic or intuitive but putting it in terms of left vs. right brained thinking tells me the experimenter's either incompetent or untrustworthy.

That said, the test was interesting and looks like it could have real application. Personally I found it difficult to pick between the analytic and intuitive option because I knew what both would mean. I tried answering faster to stop me thinking about it but this just resulted in me prioritising the first combination I read. I'm not sure if the answers were counterbalanced, but they definitely should be.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
I dont see how this might be related to culture outside of language. I think a persons job is more likely to alter there preference for how they choose to relate various objects and concepts.

If you're unfamiliar with rabbits because your country doesn't rabbit, you might pick rabbit and carrot. Or if exposed to say, Looney Toons as a kid and watching lots of Bugs Bunny you might also think of it like this.

But if you know about rabbits and you know they don't even fkn eat carrots, you probably won't pick rabbit + carrot because rabbits don't actually eat carrots and people from certain countries probably haven't been exposed to carrot-eating-rabbit propaganda.

BurnedOut

Beloved Antichrist
Local time
Today 11:15 AM
-->
These guys seem like they have borrowed quite some concepts from Thinking Fast and Slow. I saw a rigorous attempt at 'priming' the player to choose the most clichéd combo of choices. As far as I could see, there was almost no scope of divergent thinking. Coming to the spatial part, it was nonsensical. I was perusing every option and trying to figure what type of pattern they wanted me to solve. Then I reached the conclusion that both the choices offered equal representation and now it was trying to determine what shapes/colours are responsible for influencing the majority of the test takers.

I don't know what the fuck was up with that test, it was quite divergent in a very fucked up way just like most online iq tests. As far as I know holistic/analytical thinking is a flip switch, you can either keep one side turned on or use more consciousness to use the analytical side.

Best guess : a flawed diorama of Thinking Fast and Slow

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Tapatalk

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 1:45 AM
-->
Based on your results, your thinking style appears to be strongly intuitive. When tackling a problem, you may tend to look at the bigger picture and examine functional relationships.

I was way over on the right. But I knew this -- I grasped pretty quick there was no "right" answer and they were giving me choices between multiple pairs, it was just trying to coax out what criteria I was using instinctively to make the selection.

It was really apparent (the big picture approach) with the visual imagery, I knew I was being more concerned about overall form versus particular details. I'm capable of detailed analysis and big picture comparison, but I tend to prefer the latter.

I just accepted that I was choosing one criteria set over another, so after being a bit slow on the first few questions, I rocketed through the rest without apology.

But if you know about rabbits and you know they don't even fkn eat carrots, you probably won't pick rabbit + carrot because rabbits don't actually eat carrots

Well, yeah -- everyone knows that those damn rabbits are maneaters.

The_Rabbit_of_Caerbannog.jpg

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Yesterday 11:45 PM
-->
I tried to read "Thinking Fast and Thinking slow" 3 years ago.
totally failed, gave up on page 15 or so.
I can read it now but this just proves BunedOut is super smart.
And able to be rational in a way I am not.
I am rational in a different way.

edit: my summery

System 1 recognizes and associates.
System 2 is logical and does reasoning.

System 2 is what IQ test for. (reasoning is useful unless it turns into rationalization)
System 1 is best at finding patterns (not that these patterns match reality)

BurnedOut

Beloved Antichrist
Local time
-->
I tried to read "Thinking Fast and Thinking slow" 3 years ago.
totally failed, gave up on page 15 or so.
I can read it now but this just proves BunedOut is super smart.
And able to be rational in a way I am not.
I am rational in a different way.

edit: my summery
It's not hard to read but it does get daunting when kahemman starts adumbrating his points with his own interpretations and weird grammar. Overall the assertions are coherent but the way he has explained it, I think he has a habit of being unnecessarily wordy.

If you want to read it anyway, download a summary in a pdf format, it's easily available and perfectly summarises the book

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
With all due respect to Kahneman,"thinking fast and slow" gotta be one of the most useless books ever written. Cool, so you suppose intuition can work sometimes, except when it doesn't? And the same for rationality? OK, got it.

It's the sort of book sleep-deprived fools like myself buy at airports. It's almost as bad as Malcom Gladwell books.

BurnedOut

Beloved Antichrist
Local time
-->
With all due respect to Kahneman,"thinking fast and slow" gotta be one of the most useless books ever written. Cool, so you suppose intuition can work sometimes, except when it doesn't? And the same for rationality? OK, got it.

It's the sort of book sleep-deprived fools like myself buy at airports. It's almost as bad as Malcom Gladwell books.
Are you kidding me for real ? It's a guidebook for ruling the crowd and becoming a class 1 manipulator

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Besides, it has a grammatical error in the title – it should be "thinking fast and slowly"

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
-->
I’m off the scales intuitive

Is it calling me dumb

It looks a little bullshitty to deduce thinking styles from word associations really, also right brain and left brained are neuro bullshit terms I believe. Still. I withhold judgement for now, maybe the results are non random and say something interesting about you.

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I imagine every serious INTJ took the test at least five times to try to come up as "analytical" as possible

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
I imagine every serious INTJ took the test at least five times to try to come up as "analytical" as possible

LOL. I find that kinda funny. What's your theory for this?

Top Bottom