• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Are any of you like me?

breadstick

Redshirt
Local time
Today 5:41 AM
-->
So I took a personality test (twice), and got INTP both times. I just want to see if any other people share my characteristics so I know for sure that I am not another personality type (that said, I won't let a test define how I have to act).
When I read about INTPs, I was a little disappointed because the description didn't mention whether they were good at music, and seeing how I want to be a musician, this worried me.

Some things about me:
- I don't get along with the majority of people
- I don't want to just be another rat in the race
- Sometimes I feel like my head is too deep and I just want to kill some braincells so the world can seem more simple
- I love music and want to be a musician
- I am highly unmotivated in any academic areas (though I still do well)
- I lack motivation in social areas
- I like being alone
- I DON'T enjoy maths or any other numerical study
- I prefer talking and thinking over writing
- I have no interest in attaining wealth

Does anyone else share these characteristics?

Thanks.

Death

..still alive
Local time
-->
When I read about INTPs, I was a little disappointed because the description didn't mention whether they were good at music, and seeing how I want to be a musician, this worried me.
This is more of personal choice,than personality.

I do get along with people,unless I started talking about 'sensitive' stuffs.I don't maintain acquitances,I use mobile phone like few times a months.

- Sometimes I feel like my head is too deep and I just want to kill some braincells so the world can seem more simple
existential angst?

I rarely listens to music.

I procrastinate,but I enjoy studies

- I like being alone
Link these sentences together.

I used to hate maths,now I understand the importance of maths.

I communicate better with written words.

Wealth,status,etc etc

You should read the other threads,which explains INTP characteristic in details.
:phear:

ElectricWizard

Local time
Today 1:41 PM
-->
Well, I don't have any enemies, and two friends here. It works well enough.

Me neither.

Never.

I'm a metalhead. Also, I'm learning guitar.

Well, I'm not especially motivated in school subjects, though I find science and such interesting to research on my own.

- I like being alone
I prefer being alone, yes. On the other hand, having an interesting conversation can be equally... Interesting... But hardly anybody does that.

Yup.

Thinking + Writing > Talking. Then again, I hardly ever manage to force myself to write stuff.

I'm the guy with the De Leon avatar, so yes.

Quite a few of those are to do with being an INTP, the rest is just your experiences, probably.

Thomas Young

Banned
Local time
-->
Same here
same here
Yep haha, sometimes I find myself envying those of a simpler nature
I'd like to get involved in music.
Err not entirely true, I like some things, history for example.
So do I
- I like being alone
I like too
I like maths. Although my mental arithmetic needs work.
I tend to do more talking and thinking i suppose, can't say I prefer it though.
I would like to be rich. Who wouldn't? However its not my main goal, my main goal is perfecting my spirit although a difficult task.

Devercia

Deleterious Defenistrator
Local time
Today 12:41 AM
-->
Most of the preferences you mentioned relitive to mbti would suggest intp among others. Your interest in music or disinterest in math in not near as important as why. I hate math because I am too p. To me it's just mindless computation with some theory that could be interesting if it were about anything other than more mindless compuation.

Remember, mbti is more interested in perference than skill. If you like something you are probubly experianced with it but not necessarily. With music, you need to break it down. It is an art so it is whatever you make of it. What is a good muscian? A virtuoso pianist? A heart wrenching poet? A catchy chanter? A political comentater of song? A symphonic storytelling composer? Each displays a different focus of interest. That is what being intp might effect. Intps are blessed with a favorable set of functions for music. IT primary will help with just about any compositional theory. Ne secondary will help with melodic moods and melodic story telling. Si/e tertiary will help with instremenal competantcy. You largest problem will likely be motivation and discipline.

Decaf could probubly elaberate. There is also an intp discriptioj floating around that addresses music.

Jordan~

Prolific Member
Local time
-->

I can't stand most people, but I'm polite enough that I just put up with them and don't let on.

I vow never work purely for money.

I'd choose knowledge over happiness and simplicity any day.

I have a very narrow taste in music, but my devotion to the music I do like is nearly religious. However, I'm hopeless at actually playing it.

I procrastinate and don't take things seriously, but I want nothing more than to study at Cambridge - as such, I'm still motivated to do well.

Generally, yes - a lot of the time my interaction with others is more political than anything else.

- I like being alone

I enjoy my own company a great deal.

I sometimes like maths, but taught in the classroom it can be dull.

I like thinking more than talking and writing.

I have an interest in attaining wealth because I enjoy luxurious things, and I don't think I could live in an environment that didn't please me aesthetically.

IntenseBurger

Local time
Today 1:41 AM
-->
You definitely sound like and INTP to me

Agreed

Again, agreed

Not so agreed, I can understand the appeal. Never for me though

I love music and will listen to and evaluate all kinds of music.
I also play bass guitar fairly proficiently

Same here, yet I still get A's and B's

Agreed

- I like being alone
Agreed

I HATE math.

I actually love writing. And I do mean love.
In fact last night me and writing had a pretty good time if you get my drift

Same here buddy

Decaf

Professional Amateur
Local time
Yesterday 10:41 PM
-->
That's what you get for wanting relationships to have depth. Most people don't mesh well on an intimate level.

I have this argument with my partner all the time. She wants to invest in the system to make it better and I want to burn it down and start over. I think its broken and would be fine living in the mountains as long as I had an internet connection :)

Yeah. We often pick ourselves apart with our piercing analysis. It seems like being a matter-of-fact, face-value person would have its perks, but get to know some and you'll see what you like about yourself.

I've played guitar at a couple open-mic's, but I'm moderate at best. I just wish I could write music and then maybe I could do something with it.

I got through graduate school greatly disliking my major. It wasn't until I found psychology that I found an area that creates passion in me. Course I'm sure going to grad school in psych will probably kill that.

- I lack motivation in social areas and I like being alone
Yep, pretty much. I feel guilty about it sometimes, but not too bad.

Math is either mindless computation or art in my mind. The art part is the high level math that just doesn't feel precise enough to be worth learning. I'm not sure why it still doesn't appeal to be even in quantum mechanics, but maybe its because it feels too cerebral (which is an odd sensation for me).

I like writing, but I don't feel much motivation to do it unless I'm discussing something with someone else. I figure if I ever finish writing my book it'll be because I find someone to talk it all through with and record the conversations.

I'm a minimalist. I'm always defining what I need and what is a luxury that I don't need. Sometimes I give away some of the luxuries just because I'm feeling like I don't want to develop dependence on it (like when I stopped watching TV).

____

The personality type that is most often connected with virtuoso musicians (not song writers) is ISTP. Dominant Ti, Auxiliary Se, Tertiary Ni/e are useful tools in that respect. The first relates to feeling a necessary degree of precision and skill development. That might sound familiar. Obvious our auxiliary Ne and tertiary Se/i don't match up, but I think they are also useful tools.

The auxiliary extraverted sensing is in the position of creativity, which means ISTPs enjoy the feeling that comes from that extra flourish or riff that captures the senses. Hence the rock solo.

Auxiliary extraverted intuition is different in the sense that the solo that energizes the senses is not as interesting as the unpredictable. An INTP is more likely to develop an abnormal style that combines dissonance and resonance that surprises people but still feels nice. That's not as impressive in our culture, but it was at a time. My theory is that Jazz was developed by an INTP culture. Forcing the mind to catch up to the music is invigorating to us. Especially when we do finally catch up just as resonance is achieved. Of course now Jazz has very little INTP left in it. It has rules and structure that determine how you do things. Everything else is an experiment in chaos, but that's only an imitation of what INTPs try to do with music. Not that there aren't still INTPs involved who do it well, but the culture has changed.

So tertiary, the area of awareness (I need to come up with a better term for the tertiary than awareness, but it works for now). For ISTPs its intuition that allows them to take in what is possible and contribute new ideas to their dominant functions. For INTPs its sensing which allows us to enjoy the sensation that music creates in us and how it feels to have played a piece correctly. Its not enough to motivate us, but it is helpful when we are motivated in some other way.

Is that at all helpful? The Jazz theory I came up with while I was writing this, so take it with a grain of salt.

fullerene

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
--too hard for me to identify with. I get along with everybody great for short periods of time, but after enough time passes almost nobody is left. I get along with everyone great shallowly, but like it was noted earlier, not many people want a deep relationship.

--very me. I've decided if I end up working a normal job that or wearing a suit to work, I'll have failed adulthood.

--I actually used to bump my head against the wall when I was younger, trying to kill of braincells. I heard you lost about 10 cells per bump, and I was sick of being different. What I didn't know (I was like 7 or 8 at the time) was how many brain cells are in a brain, lol.

--same, although I like science more so I'd choose that for my career. I play guitar, drums, bass, and singing at a workable (can perform, but I'm nothing special) level. I can keyboard/piano a lot of songs too, but I only have the coordination to do basic chords (majors, minors) and sometimes a vocal melody on my right hand at the same time.

--that was me, til school picked up. Hang in there and find something fun to study... you'll probably love a good college.
--also not me... although I'm wondering why I ever bothered. I'm unmotivated for them now, but that's just because of recently. I wouldn't have said the same thing 4 months ago.

- I like being alone
--yes

--was also me until I went into college. I put up with the math because it was necessary for science, which is awesome when it uses math as a tool--high schools tend to make it a formulaic algorithm for solving set problems... but I grew to love both when I went to college and began to really understand what they are.

--very much me. Two or three times in my life I've felt absolutely overwhelmed by thoughts and feelings that I just had to get them out, and had no one trusted to talk to, so I wrote instead. It sucked to start, but I could kick out like 8 or 9 pages on a single thought and I felt much better after. I still strongly prefer thinking over writing though. I prefer talking, but my thoughts aren't anywhere near as coherent when I try.

--also very much the same. I gave up on money in middle school. I've heard that obsessing over reputation and wealth is more a common sin of middle age... but I'm not there yet, so we'll see.

Inappropriate Behavior

is peeing on the carpet
Local time
-->
I get along but I just rather not be with other people.
Exactly! I want to change the world but lack any and all motivations to make it happen.
No, I'd rather sit in my hypothetical tower and feel superior.
Artistic preferences are not dependant on personality type. I like music most of the time but other times I either tune it out (no pun intended) or turn it off.
Same here.
- I like being alone
Same here.
Same here but I'm pretty good at it.
Writing and thinking over talking. Talking often gets me in trouble.
Me neither as my checkbook would testify.

Wisp

The Soft Rational
Local time
-->
I dunno. I seem to love music for the sake of playing/hearing it a great deal, even if that DOES sound a bit S-y.

Devercia

Deleterious Defenistrator
Local time
-->
The requirement for me to like music is polyphony, and a sense of nostalgia. It has to paint a musical picture or it disinterests me. I could care less about lyrics or rhythm, and only virtuosity if it is impressive. As is the case I love soundtracks and symphonic stories best.

Kidege

is a ze
Local time
Yesterday 11:41 PM
-->
Most of the points are me, except I like thinking more than writing and writing more than talking.

I don't mind maths but I've never done any higher maths. I'd have to try in my next life.

I liked academics when I was young. Now I focus in fewer fields and make my own path, so you could say I still like them, as long as everything's done my way.

I don't see why couldn't an INTP be a good musician. Decaf's Jazz theory makes sense for me, not that I know a lot about Jazz. But I do know I like the old kind better. Contemporary stuff is boring IMHO.

Like I said, everything else sounds like me.

Thread Killer

Never-Around Member
Local time
-->
(I get along with most people but am very aloof and I don't maintain relationships)

(Clones are lame anyway)

(Definitely)

(I am the same though I have broken into the actual musician stage)

(ditto, but I've gotten a lot better)

(Yeah)

- I like being alone
(fo' shizzle)

(same here. I suck at math and a lot of sciences)

(I like them all)

(I'm not motivated by riches, power, or fame...well, maybe fame)

I'm an INxP.

grey matters

The Old Grey Silly One
Local time
-->
Some things about me:
I get along well with objective brainy types and somehow manage to piss off all the rest.

I am INTP, being different and apart is natural.

This would help with the headache that comes from trying to explain things to people who don't seem to be mentally capable of understanding me but then I would loose my individuality. Try sticking your head in a bucket of ice or something.

I never had the discipline to learn a musical instrument so I can only fantasize about it. I could be a professional singer if I wanted to.

I am very motivated but not in formal school. I read voraciously, mostly about psychological/scientific stuff. I take notes, journal my thoughts (God I hope no one ever reads my journal, my thoughts are so disjointed and sometimes paranoid that I fear they might want to lock me up) and spend hours theorising (it occupies the mind while I am doing the more mundane things like laundry). I spend too much money on books.

The disire is there somewhat, but the skillis still are somewhat lacking, even after 40 years.

I like being alone
YUP!

Math and I never quite got along, I transpose numbers too much when doing calculations.

I love to write, I try to add witty things whenever I can just for fun. Thinking is great too but talking tires me out.

Simplicity is best but I dream of being independantly wealthy so that I can persue whatever interests I fancy.

Kronos Zul

Redshirt
Local time
-->
So I took a personality test (twice), and got INTP both times. I just want to see if any other people share my characteristics so I know for sure that I am not another personality type (that said, I won't let a test define how I have to act).

Some things about me:
- I like being alone

Thanks.

Other than the Musician part(would rather listen than make it :D), and the not getting along with people, you sound a lot like me.
Even down to the disliking math.
Well...I like to say I'm just really lazy in math.:cool:
I also prefer talking and thinking over writing. Not so good when you have to write essays. :(

Kronos Zul

Redshirt
Local time
-->
S
I am very motivated but not in formal school. I read voraciously, mostly about psychological/scientific stuff. I take notes, journal my thoughts (God I hope no one ever reads my journal, my thoughts are so disjointed and sometimes paranoid that I fear they might want to lock me up) and spend hours theorising (it occupies the mind while I am doing the more mundane things like laundry). I spend too much money on books.

The desire is there somewhat, but the skillis still are somewhat lacking

I try to add witty things whenever I can just for fun

Simplicity is best but I dream of being independantly wealthy so that I can persue whatever interests I fancy.

Edited parts out that didn't sound like me. I love to read, and I'm not very motivated in school. I've never written my thoughts down. I might try that someday...probably after I move out. :p
I love to just sit and think about things. Anything. It doesn't mater what I think about. I just love to think. If I had money, and time I would probably spend too much money on books too. :(

I too wish to be Social, but I lack the skills. I have friends, I'm just not really a partier.

While I like to talk and think over writing, when I'm forced to write, I like to think of my self as witty, Douglas adams style if I can. :cool:

I don't think I would want to be Immensely rich, but having enough money to not have to worry about anything, and being able to do what you please, would be great.

Edit:
Crap, Double post. :(

Freddeh

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I don't get interested by most of the people enough to know if i would get along with them.

Same with me, I would feel like a water drop in a river making sure it keeps flowing.

I appreciate it most of the time since it seems so endless, but when I can't stop thinking about something I wish there was a "stop" button.

I love making and listening to music 24/7

When there is no interest there is no motivation for me, and that changes with the subjects.

- I like being alone
That's me, though sometimes I really want to be with someone to share my idea's with.

Yeap.

I prefer thinking over talking and writing but prefer writing over talking when the other person doesn't understand you while talking.

I have all the wealth I need:D

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->

Oh, don't worry too much about this. :)

Frankly, you are who you are -- regardless of whether you are INTP or something else. (And what you are is good, correct?)

You define yourself, you are not defined by a personality test. Personality tests just offer some predictable/consistent collections of attributes that usually work together in terms of personality development. You won't fit any theory perfectly.

Some things about me:
- I like being alone

You could still fit within an INTP continuum. I've seen INTPs at other extremes as well. There seems to be "different" flavors; and if you want to go by MBTI theory, we'd examine function use. You can be a Ti+Ne function person ( = INTP) and yet have another function or two that are strong in you that would flavor your personality differently.

In addition, I find enneagram variants to be helpful as a description. You could easily be an sp (self-preservation) flavor of personality, where you don't mind building your own pocket world in which you are entirely self-sufficent and do not need or want to be around others. Other variants (so = social and sx = sexual) lead to other ways of engaging people.

I'm a musician, btw, too. It was all that enabled me to survive at different points of my life. Music is a wonderful medium and often conveys "ideas" and ambiance without having to create a clearly articulated stream of thought. Your love of music has no real bearing on being INTP, although perhaps how you APPROACH music will say something of your personality.

*Stabbity*

Local time
-->
I get along with most anyone, on the surface at least. I don't have any "best" friends, and I actually prefer it that way. I don't like to have a set of friends that I am bound by that friendship to maintan. I.E: going out to the movies or to grab a beer at the pub, etc. I'm selfish I guess. :D

Yes. I'm not either. Amongst my peers at work, I am the most trusted and valuable source of information and knowledge. I HATE THAT! I cannot be "just another Joe" and have prided myself and not being such. Probably comes from my extreme ease at learning and spongy brain. Wish other had it so they'd leave me alone sometimes. Argh.

Most definitely. It's a burden some of us must endure. My outlet for creating peace with my mind is music. I'd be lost without it. It engages my mind, but also it allows for me to shut off and escape from my racing brain's "other self".
I also kind of abuse a certain pill at times to make me "happy".

See above. I can't make music to save my life, but I am totally engrossed by it.

We all do well, I think. I hated school, partly because of the educators ways of instructing. When a teacher can make learning fun, or at least get you interested in the content in a creative way, you(I) can learn so much more. I don't have a degree now, and only took 1 yr of college, but I am successful and make a smidgen above 50k a yr. Not bad for a HS diploma and little to no college. Least now, in this economy.

Yes. My wife too. We'd rather stay at home than be the sheep that go out =and do the same damn thing every weekend. Lame. I don't cultivate relationships other than my immediate family. At work I keep to myself as much as I can, but that backfires because I have been at this job for 7 yrs and this place has a high turnaround for the lower end positions. I have tenure, so of course I get hit up for info all the time. Lame.

- I like being alone
Yes. Hardly ever happens, but yes, most definitely. I am married and have a son that is almost 2. I prefer his company to anyone else. I do get some "me" time at work, notably on Fridays when my office mate leaves early for the gold course......

I HATE MATH. Done. I do enjoy reading about Physics(Meta) and how math applies to it though.

I can articulate so much better on paper or email, text than my mouth ever could. I can write novels when coerced though. I once wrote a 5 page back to back paper to a girl friend about nothing. :rolleyes:

Yes. With my ambitions, it'd never happen anyway unless it fell into my lap. I would not mind not having to worry about money, but I don't want anything to do with being "rich".

It would seem so. :cool:

Ermine

is watching and taking notes
Local time
-->
casually playing guitar in my mental arena

Some things about me:
- I like being alone

Thanks.

Yep. That's definitely me to the letter.

Loraella

Local time
Today 6:41 AM
-->
Here are mine.

True.
True.
Yeah, sometimes. All my troubles, all my pain, stems from this thing that you call a brain. >_>
I love music and I always listen to my favourite songs in my free time. I used to play the clarinet for years. But I know I'm definitely not good enough to do it professionally
I'm at the uni and I like some subjects and am bored by other ones... I'm afraid my choice of university wasn't the best one at all, but I just couldn't decide what to choose.
- I like being alone
Definitely.
At the high school there were some areas of math that I liked. But generally I'm glad that now I don't have to be bothered with math any more.
I prefer thinking and writing. I express myself WAY better in a written form than in speaking.
Well I wouldn't want to be poor... I want to have enough money to buy what is needed and wanted for me and my family (when I have it.) Specially clothes; I like when I can dress in my own way that I enjoy. And of course I will also need to afford the internet fees :P

Aphasia

Local time
Today 1:41 PM
-->
Not really. I get along fine with nearly everyone, after I get to know them. As long as they don't talk about something uninteresting.

If I can't become a biologist, my next choice for a career will be gardening. :)

Depends on mood.

I'm a reasonably good pianist. Based on experience, it's much easier to listen to music than to make it :1

I'm not really doing well in studies right now, but I suppose I could do better (in tests) if I could just stop making so many careless mistakes.

Sometimes

- I like being alone
Being alone in a group of people isn't nice. Otherwise, I don't mind.

I don't hate maths, although I don't especially love it either. Still, I'm pretty good in it.

Each activity has a time and place to be preferred.

Attaining wealth isn't that interesting an activity, but the things wealth can give access to aren't all that bad.

Taylored

Local time
-->
I get along with most, but I also dislike most.

who does...

I am not sure I can relate to that.

I too love music, but I only consider certain things to be actual music which has forced me to create my own, thus making me a musician of sorts.

same

same

- I like being alone

same

Math is an interesting system, it is just not something I have had the motivation to study.

I prefer the most effective means of communication for any given situation.

I have an interest in being financially stable relative to my fiscal comfort level.

Melkor

*Silent antagonist*
Local time
-->
Weird...
I fall into all those, only I don't hate maths.
I detest most formulas, well okay I hate trying to remember formulas....:(

but, as for the others...
sounds quite like me....

Ex-User (221)

Local time
-->
Yes to all the above, especially maths.
Why, oh why did I choose to do physics? :(

Top Bottom