• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Are we attracted to archetypes?

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Tomorrow 3:29 AM
-->
Hmmm looking back on my life it seems that I find myself attracted to archetypes. Well for starters I like Jung.

I also see that during my occult phase: The Elements of Feng Shui and the Western and Eastern zodiacs.

Later this night I'm going home and play the audio version of "The Hero with a Thousand Faces" :D

Are INTP's naturally attracted to these archetypes?

TimeAsylums

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 1:29 PM
-->
Apparently "rationals/those with higher IQs" are actually more likely to be "fooled/attracted to" mysticism/occultism. Excuse my lack of sources, but there are quite a few, books and online studies...will sift through and see if i can find some.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
-->
Apparently "rationals/those with higher IQs" are actually more likely to be "fooled/attracted to" mysticism/occultism. Excuse my lack of sources, but there are quite a few, books and online studies...will sift through and see if i can find some.

Yup, we do. But I think it's because we're NT, we think differently and seek things that are different from the norm. We can't help it.

Chad

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 3:29 PM
-->
I am not really into mysticism or eastern religions however I can be very passionate (maybe sincere is a better word) about my christian faith. Also I take faith personal meaning I don't try to hurl my faith at others as it is a personal choice. Another aspect of taking my faith personally I really do try to live by my religious convictions however, I am not the least bit concerned about how others choice to live there life.

The only thing else that I believe makes me different then the traditional christian is the I question everything even the Religious tenets of my faith (most religious people find this offensive, sacrilegious or even blasphemous.)

I don't believe everything I hear and my faith is very different form the mass the call them selves the modern christian church. However, since I do adhere to the basics like the divinity of God, Christ, and the Holy Sprite three in One, I really can't call it something new either.

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
Tomorrow 5:29 AM
-->

Yeah, I've also read that people with higher IQs are more likely to believe bullshit. They are also more likely to be manipulative (and better liars). Seems contradictory.

CBF digging up sources.

Local time
Today 8:29 PM
-->
Are INTP's naturally attracted to these archetypes?
Yes, but I think it extends beyond INTPs, which is part of the reason MBTI has its known inaccuracies.

Archetypes breed subjective deductive assumptions, i.e. "If A-G from this description are true about me, then H, I, and J must be too." And of course this becomes worse when we start trying to live up to H, I, and J.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
-->
I am not really into mysticism or eastern religions however I can be very passionate (maybe sincere is a better word) about my christian faith. Also I take faith personal meaning I don't try to hurl my faith at others as it is a personal choice. Another aspect of taking my faith personally I really do try to live by my religious convictions however, I am not the least bit concerned about how others choice to live there life.

The only thing else that I believe makes me different then the traditional christian is the I question everything even the Religious tenets of my faith (most religious people find this offensive, sacrilegious or even blasphemous.)

I don't believe everything I hear and my faith is very different form the mass the call them selves the modern christian church. However, since I do adhere to the basics like the divinity of God, Christ, and the Holy Sprite three in One, I really can't call it something new either.

Glad that I'm not the only one. My occult phase during my younger years were a part of my questioning my faith but I came back to Christianity eventually on my own.

Yeah, people really don't link being questioned about their beliefs. It's not exclusive to Christians.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
-->
Yes, but I think it extends beyond INTPs, which is part of the reason MBTI has its known inaccuracies.

Archetypes breed subjective deductive assumptions, i.e. "If A-G from this description are true about me, then H, I, and J must be too." And of course this becomes worse when we start trying to live up to H, I, and J.

The dreaded Forer effect :(

own8ge

Existential Nihilist
Local time
Today 8:29 PM
-->
I used to be biased, with attraction. So in that stage, yes I was attracted to archetypes. Atm though, I like and am attracted to all ages, all genders, all personality types. I speculate this to come with understanding of humans.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->
All people are attracted to archetypes. Religious figures, mythical figures, fictional, actors, famous people. It's a prepackaged set of attributes. People like famous actors because they are rich, famous and glamorous.

Intellectual types greatly admire them too, I was taken with Mozart and Einstein when I was younger.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
-->
All people are attracted to archetypes. Religious figures, mythical figures, fictional, actors, famous people. It's a prepackaged set of attributes. People like famous actors because they are rich, famous and glamorous.

Intellectual types greatly admire them too, I was taken with Mozart and Einstein when I was younger.

Yeah it seems to be the case... Aside from being the prepackaged attributes, they are also easily communicated. If I talk about Hercules, then the other person will more or less knows what I'm talking about.

By the way, based on the info that I'm learning about my new audiobook, the INTP's archetype might not be Einstein but Daedalus, the mythical artist-scientist.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->
By the way, based on the info that I'm learning about my new audiobook, the INTP's archetype might not be Einstein but Daedalus, the mythical artist-scientist.

Artist INNOVATOR I think. The ultimate artist craftsman, i.e the SP type. He didn't seem much the thinker.

TimeAsylums

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Very very much battle on Einstein's type...both with PL, and even some Jungian books I've read, (think Ms. Moss doesn't even outwardly say he is Ti), claiming he's Te dominant instead of Ti, meh can't say for myself, I suppose high IQ (although certain types are predisposed to do higher) could be an outlier and make it harder to type...

I very much like the very little contest with Tesla being an ENTP tho', Ne craziness, but idk :D: super stressed/mature appearing as INTJ..etc.

From A Primer of Jungian Psychology
(exercepts posted here: Oh My Jung
IV. Types of individuals (page 101)

A. Extraverted Thinking Type (Te dominate)
This type of man elevates objective thinking into the ruling passion of his life. He is typified by the scientists who devotes his energy to learning as much as he can about the objective world .His goals are understanding natural phenomena, the discovery of natural laws, and theoretical formulations. The most developed type of extraverted thinker is Darwin or Einstein.
The extraverted thinker tends to repress teh feeling side of his nature, and so he may appear to others as being impersonal, or even cold and haughty. If the repression is too strict, feeling is forced to find devious and sometimes abnormal ways of affecting his character. He may become autorcratic, bigoted, vain, superstitious, and impervious to criticism. Lacking feeling, the quality of his thinking tends to become sterile and impoverished. The extreme case if the "mad scientist" or the Dr. Jekyll who periodically turns into a psychopathic monster.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->
Very very much battle on Einstein's type...both with PL, and even some Jungian books I've read, (think Ms. Moss doesn't even outwardly say he is Ti), claiming he's Te dominant instead of Ti, meh can't say for myself, I suppose high IQ (although certain types are predisposed to do higher) could be an outlier and make it harder to type...

I'm not sure what you're saying here, but Einstein was an INTP, end of story. He could not have been any other type. PL got this disastrously wrong, on some stupid idea that his stupid "ride a light beam" imagining showed INFJ characteristics (until I pointed out that is the MO of how most physicists solve problems - visually) Which proved to me that Pod'Lair understood neither the INTP nor the INFJ. I make very few public type predictions but I'm sure of those I do.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
-->
Artist INNOVATOR I think. The ultimate artist craftsman, i.e the SP type. He didn't seem much the thinker.

Aww... :( Do we have a primal NT then?

But yeah, it seems that I left out the SP's in my studies. SJ's annoy me, NT's looks like me and NF's fascinates me but what of SPs?. Maybe I should learn and interact with them a bit more.

Minimalist

"The wise man knows that he knows nothing" or some
Local time
Today 12:29 PM
-->
I'm not sure what you're saying here, but Einstein was an INTP, end of story. He could not have been any other type. PL got this disastrously wrong, on some stupid idea that his stupid "ride a light beam" imagining showed INFJ characteristics (until I pointed out that is the MO of how most physicists solve problems - visually) Which proved to me that Pod'Lair understood neither the INTP nor the INFJ. I make very few public type predictions but I'm sure of those I do.

Yes, I have come to similar conclusions as you have after I read conflicting information in regards to the typology of various public figures. One must ask just what personality type is doing the typology before trusting that individual's analysis. Would it make any sense to rely upon the analysis of one who cannot reliably analyze? One example of conflicting typologies that I have seen is Socrates typed both as INTJ and INTP. On a side note, the statement "the wise man knows that he knows nothing" does not seem like something a j would be comfortable asserting. Thomas Jefferson has been typed as INTJ or INTP depending upon who you ask as well. When It comes down to It, these Individuals are dead and existed before any semi-reliable test could measure their personality. This means we are forced to rely Upon historical heresay and their very words. (both of these sources are quite subjective).

Top Bottom