• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Are you a morning person or a night person?

Are you a morning person or a night person?

• Morning person!

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Night person!

Votes: 44 73.3%
  • Neither! I am tired all the time!

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • Don't know/never thought about it

Votes: 1 1.7%

• Total voters

QuietFire

black magician
Local time
Today 7:53 AM
-->
I think when I was a teenager I did prefer to stay up longer at night.

But now, I am not so sure... I am fairly tired in the morning, but then again I am also quite tired in the evening. That's not a good sign!!! I hope I do not have some long term illness...

But I do feel like I am more productive in the morning/afternoon than the evening.

I am deciding to sleep early and wake up early (if I sleep too much I think I get more tired)

Cheeseumpuffs

Proudly A Sheeple Since 2015
Local time
Yesterday 10:53 PM
-->
I hope I do not have some long term illness...

You might have that one sickness, what's it called? It's from Africa? It involves sleeping? I dunno, oh well.
:p

Night person all the way, here. Even if I try to maintain a normal sleep schedule I somehow end up becoming nocturnal again.

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
Today 5:53 AM
-->
Night person all the way, here. Even if I try to maintain a normal sleep schedule I somehow end up becoming nocturnal again.

Ditto. Couldn't sleep until 7am yesterday morning, woke up at 5pm today lol. (fml)

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 1:53 PM
-->
During vacation: Night person
During work: Day person

Switching from the two modes takes me 1-2 days.

Local time
-->
Morning or night don't make a difference. I feel exhausted most of the time(how do people even manage to sleep? :( )

Sir Eus Lee

I am wholely flattered you would take about 2 and
Local time
-->
When I was younger I was a morning person. No longer. I like nights, except that part where you look at the clock and its 4 am and you have to wake up at 630 and you think "why do I keep doing this to myself" and then vow to never do it again and then stay up still 430, and then do it again the next day.

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 6:53 PM
-->
Definitely have more energy in the evening. But lately have had insomnia, so tired all the time. I actually have no idea what I am. I just know I am mildly psychotic in the morning pre-caffeine. I tend to adjust to a different routine when camping, though. Going to bed at sunset and waking up at sunrise. It's kind of nice, waking up with all the birds and seeing the sun rise while sipping a cup of bug-infused tea.

But I also like the quiet of the night - that is, the quiet that comes with no human background buzz - and where I live currently, there are more of those other animals awake at night during summer so I kind of feel like being a night person fits with the rest of the environment.

Urakro

~
Local time
-->
I was nocturnal since I was young. When I work, it takes 30 day shifts before I get severely ill. I can handle night shifts indefinitely.

It's disappointing how it's considered a disorder : Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder Because it doesn't fit with societal norms, it's considered an illness.

There are also some very bad research articles linking night owls with the dark triad personality traits. :beatyou:

Ideally, the world would let live, and let us sleep in peace.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
Yesterday 11:53 PM
-->
I'm always tired. However, I am decidedly diurnal. The sun has to be down for several hours before I can fall asleep, but I cannot initiate sleep during daylight hours.

I am at my best when I can sleep from 1:00 AM - 9:00 AM, and then I work my best from 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM. When this isn't possible (it's never possible), I spend my morning hours slowly blinking, and my evening hours a brainless zombie. I guess that still leaves me at my most productive from late morning to afternoon.

Teax

huh?
Local time
Today 6:53 AM
-->
How nobody chose "never thought about it". :rolleyes:

I experimented with a ~28 hour sleep cycle, by reserving more awake time for the same amount of asleep time. This works by, each day, shifting the asleep time a couple hours back.

Turns out that hi-gear "morning feeling" is relative, it's just the immediate time after a rest phase is supposed to end, so after you get used to a longer than 24 hour cycle, the productivity feeling of "morning" travels from day to day as well.

The next step was trying biphasic sleep to maximize the time spent in this hi-gear mode, while simultaneously adhering to social norms. Hard to pull off though... so that's about when my passion for this topic ended.

xbox

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 6:53 PM
-->
both. I like mornings and nights but i sleep 24/7 bc i cant make up my mind

cheese

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 4:53 PM
-->
Plot twist: Not a person!

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
I used to be a night person and described it as most natural, when I had the most energy. As I've gotten older (not even that old lol) certain habits that had no noticeable effect on my energy and mood before, like bad diet, lack of exercise, have a significant effect on me day-to-day. Oversleeping, getting up late, and irregular hours are among them currently. I tend to get up at 7am and go to bed at 11-12 atm.

Artsu Tharaz

The Lamb
Local time
Today 4:53 PM
-->
I live in the grey zone, the hours of twilight.

3am, come out to play.

WALKYRIA

Local time
-->
They used to call me a night angel... the night is my best friend: Quiet, scary, mysterious...

Intolerable

Banned
Local time
Today 1:53 AM
-->
I guess it time for the daywalker jokes?

I've always been more energetic in the evening. For whatever reason the sun has always wore me out. It just makes me tired. When I'm in the glare of the sun with that warmth on my body I just want to sleep. I find it very relaxing actually. Even on a crowded beach on a towel I can fall right asleep no problem.

This has always posed a problem for me socializing and silly things like driving.

deathvirtuoso

Local time
-->
When I'm preparing to sleep (in my bed), I'll suddenly feel damn motivated, and have lots of ideas of what to do etc., but by then, the pills will have taken effect already, and I'll be too damn tired to carry out any of my ideas. And the cycle repeats ad infinitum. This is my excuse as to why I never get anything done.

peoplesuck

is escaping
Local time
Today 12:53 AM
-->
Somewhat symptoms of non 24, i usually stay awake longer than the normal person. i prefer the night, but the sun and moon only really affect my sleep schedule for school. phases of very little sleep,and sometimes lots. so..just a person

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
Its 2:43 AM and I am on the internet. What does that tell you?

Nebulous

Local time
-->
When I'm preparing to sleep (in my bed), I'll suddenly feel damn motivated, and have lots of ideas of what to do etc., but by then, the pills will have taken effect already, and I'll be too damn tired to carry out any of my ideas. And the cycle repeats ad infinitum. This is my excuse as to why I never get anything done.

Same. It's awful.
I preferred my insomnia over where I am currently in regards to my sleep schedule.
Before Sleep, (before I changed my sleep schedule and started actually sleeping) I knew I wouldn't be able to fall asleep even if I tried. So I would stay up and draw, keep journals, and if I had internet access I'd be online all night.
It was wonderful; the only time I ever got anything done. Of course it isn't what others would call 'productive'... But whatever, I do what I want.
But then doctors came into play
"Shift your sleep schedule," they said
"It'll be great," they said

I know what sleep is now, and it's pretty nice, but now I accomplish NOTHING whatsoever. I don't have 3am anymore. I miss seeing the sunrise. I miss being multiple days past my bedtime.

*sigh*
where was I going with this? I don't know.

marceedoodles

Drawing n' Doodling
Local time
-->
To be honest, I really like night time because of how quiet it is when my neighbors are asleep (they are quite noisy) but I also like the space of time between 3 AM to 6 AM because I can either watch the sunrise or stargaze from my balcony a bit.

Silent Sage

Local time
-->
Depends on the setting.
I can handle a boring setting in the morning since I'm too tired to care then. I prefer a vibrant setting in the evening and alone time in the after-noon. It takes me like 1-3 hrs on average to fall asleep anyways. Alone time would help me exhaust mental energy. Vibrant setting would help me exhaust physical energy. That's not normally the case.

JimJambones

sPaCe CaDeT
Local time
-->
The only time I'm able to hunt humans for their blood is sometime between 11:00 PM and 4:00 AM. Too much earlier and I risk getting caught. Too much later and I risk death by sunlight. I guess that makes me a night person. I feel tired all the time. Perhaps I'm not making enough Vitamin D?

Aviator8

I wanted to be a star, so i irradiated myself
Local time
-->
I was always nocturnal, so I lean wherever I can stay up away from my mom at night. I eventually decided that going into darkness was better than coming out of it, so night not-a-person.

Jelly2

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I am a morning a person and I reckon it is better as I can more opportunities to go into sport, meet my friends and do my work properly, moreover, it helps me be always in high spirits and not to fall into depression. But if you're a night person and sometimes it is difficult for you to do your work in time, address here http://skywritingservice.com/blog/26-tips-how-to-become-morning-person to get some aid.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
^ Awwwwwww, how generous.

Wait, there's no place for me to include my credit card number.
You're Doing It Wrong.

Nibbler

Being brains, they feel compelled to know everythi
Local time
-->
I'm so disorganized that my schedule just migrates from one end of the day to the next, depending on when I fall asleep.

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
-->
How nobody chose "never thought about it". :rolleyes:

I experimented with a ~28 hour sleep cycle, by reserving more awake time for the same amount of asleep time. This works by, each day, shifting the asleep time a couple hours back.

Turns out that hi-gear "morning feeling" is relative, it's just the immediate time after a rest phase is supposed to end, so after you get used to a longer than 24 hour cycle, the productivity feeling of "morning" travels from day to day as well.

The next step was trying biphasic sleep to maximize the time spent in this hi-gear mode, while simultaneously adhering to social norms. Hard to pull off though... so that's about when my passion for this topic ended.

Weakling, I've nailed and surpassed this schedule.

Stratagem

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I'm an everything person; it all depends on weather, duties, and interest. During summers and hot seasons I prefer to sleep in the day most of the time because in the night it is cold and comfortable. If I have something I have to do like study for college because of a time limit that may have been set or a last minute project I been putting off; I will set an alarm to wake me up very early then fall right back to sleep when finished. Lastly if i'm interested in something I often stay up until a very late hour doing whatever I found interest in. Usually the interest category is the thing that determines whether I become a day or night person.

Hope this helped.

Sinny91

Banned
Local time
-->
Early bird or night owl: Sleep patterns depend on how eyes process light

Whether an animal is active during the day and sleeps at night (diurnal) or the opposite (nocturnal) depends on how its eyes process light to send signals to its brain, a new study has found. Humans’ sleep/wake modes could be dependent on the same switch.

Researchers at the University of California, Irvine (UC Irvine or UCI) studied how diurnal monkeys and nocturnal mice processed light through their eyes. They found that, although light is processed in similar ways, the signals that are then sent to the brain take different paths to get there and produce completely opposite sleep/awake patterns.

Qun-Yong Zhou, UCI professor of pharmacology and the study’s lead author, and his team discovered that the sleep/awake switch in the eyes exists in the intrinsically photosensitive retinal ganglion cells (ipRGC), not in a brain region called the suprachiasmatic nucleus (SCN), where scientists previously thought the body’s master clock resided.

In mice, the ipRGC and the SCN acted similarly to each other, allowing either part to serve the body’s internal clock. They are interconnected via a pathway. However, the researchers found that the ipRGC appeared more dominant for the moneys they studied, and it overrode the ipRGC-SCN pathway by forcing a pitstop at a midbrain structure called the superior colliculus, which tells the animal to stay awake during the day. Think of it like a monkey getting a cup of coffee during a road trip, while the mouse can drive at night without making that stop.

“Considering the long-held view of SCN as the master clock for our circadian rhythms, the idea that the eyes – or particularly ipRGC – are the commander in chief is somewhat surprising,” Zhou said in a statement. “But it makes logical sense, as diurnal mammals are visually driven. The eyes not only guide us around during our wakefulness time, but they also dictate when we go to sleep.”

This discovery means that the eyes have a far more important role in the circadian rhythm of diurnal animals than previously believed.

“Since humans are diurnal, this has clear implications for potential novel treatment of certain sleep or mood disorders,” Zhou said.

The professor thinks that his team’s discovery makes evolutionary sense as well.

“Early mammals, during the dinosaur age, are believed to have been nocturnal, and diurnal species came later,” Zhou said. “It is completely logical that this diurnality co-evolved with the vision dominance of diurnal mammals via the expansion of the wake-promoting ipRGC-superior colliculus pathway and the simultaneous diminishment of the sleep-promoting ipRGC-SCN pathway.”

“Thus, light puts mice to sleep, but it wakes up monkeys and other diurnal mammals,” he added.

The study was published online in the journal Molecular Brain.

Well, I personally am extremely sensitive to light. Can barely see at the peak of the summer sun, and boy it burns my eyeballz. I prefer the night.

Top Bottom