• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Ask BAP

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
Today 2:54 AM
-->
This thread is to ask me questions. Do you have a question?

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
Sirius is exactly what I thought of when you mentioned aliens. :kodama1:
Guys. This is the "Ask BAP" thread. If you have answers ... perhaps your own thread???

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
BAP What are your thoughts on the derailed thread thread? http://www.intpforum.com/showthread.php?t=14638

:p
I would say it's a good idea to let off steam. The purpose of a thread can easily be derailed. It is natural for topics to branch off into related things. If a somehow related branch deserves its own thread, why not? If it's not big enough, and you want to play with derailing, go to your thread.

Overall it's best to stick to the topic of the thread. After all that's why we have threads ... for specialization. To deliberately do that to a thread without warning or explanation is rude IMO.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
GodOfOrder
Does a set of all sets contain itself? :confused:
I don't know if I properly answered that. If one wishes to be loose with the definition of set, you can say the set of "all" sets contains itself. Since such a definition is not formal, one can expect to get into trouble.

I prefer to be formal if one is going after foolproof truth. First one collects all sets. Only after that can this collection be defined. The set of all sets is a "hyperset."

If I recall, I've heard Bertrand Russell addressed this kind of thing. I'm willing to bet he would concur with what I said.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
Why am I so great?
I failed to properly answer Proxy. You are correct in saying you are only "so" great. You fit right in on the scale of things, linearly speaking. At which end of greatness you lie I do not know. I suspect you are moving to the upper end.

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
Today 6:54 AM
-->
BAP, how does it feel to be a quintuple post noob? ^^

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
-->
Since I don't know what that means I guess ignorance is bliss.

It means when you make 5 consecutive posts rather than compiling your answers into a single post. :cat:

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
when are we make have anser and quesiton
Good idea. When someone creates a thread, "Brontosaurie answers." Then people can ask the question to which that is the answer.

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
-->
Would you rather have legs made out of cheese or a head made out of bread? I will let you choose the type of cheese or bread to justify your answer.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
My answer to that is it might be time to get serious and take advantage of what you know about me to ask good questions.:confused:

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
Ask BAP about Intuitives

@Animekitty Puffy Duxwing Cognisant Absurdity or anyone interested in intuitives.

Let's review guys cuz there are a few issues being raised at once.

Intuitives are different from rationals, and I do not pretend to have precise definitions for those. How are they different? Rationals are fond of orderly procedures. Things are built on other things are built on other things. and -first- initial things are checked out before proceeding. One is on very shaky ground if the premises aren't sound. Intuitives paint a picture, present patterns, or tell a story. This means they throw the whole thing at you and you are supposed to pick up on the details.

These approaches basically oppose each other. They will clash if one tries to do just one and not the other. Rationals are supposedly correct every step of the way, but results present form only, not content. They fail to appeal. Intuitives favor content. Now I would say if you are after truth, go for what is rational. If you are after enjoyment or impact, go after intuitives. That is a generalization. It speaks of extremes and we are really all in between. We have reason AND intuition.

Earlier yesterday I spoke to Cognizant promising a perspective on an intuitive. I pick the intuitive who stands out on this Forum and whom others are asking how to understand. I'm looking for general truths here but specifics are necessary to illustrate. As I said above, rationals and intuitives can clash. That is the case in my case. My attitude is a personal one and you may or may not share it. That is up to you.

Here is a quote of an intuitive's post and a review of my experience. In theory it makes no difference who the person is as I'm after my experience and general points. There is no harassment or obsession. For me it's a curiosity to see if what I say will work.

Later: rather than struggle to find a better post, I will go with this handy one on this very thread: http://intpforum.com/showthread.php?p=361811#poststop

This entire post presents a statement which I did not read. it appeared to be addressed to just Cognizant anyway. I did not read it at first because Lyra has said in the past he doesn't want to engage me. I believed him. So, knowing we won't be engaged as equals, I dismiss what he says unless something stands out. His, IMO, is a viewpoint which constantly refers to things, unexplained, things outside of itself. Why should I read it if it's content is like dozens of others if I'm not going to engage? If I'm not going to engage, I will read Roger Penrose instead.

Most of my messages imply further research for full understanding.
This very first sentence is significant and captures what I'm saying. One has to go outside to understand. One has to deal with what's not there. A great sentence for this poster which I will take as sincere.

If you'd actually read Spengler, or looked into DMT, or looked into what I might be doing in relation to specific developmental paths I've discussed with you personally and privately, then you might get more out of the messages.
I'm not disputing the truth of that. I remember a Spengler utube he posted once and dismissed it. Why? Because it was not up for discussion. It was just there. I got what he was driving at and wasn't interested. Personal choice. DMT? Not defined here. Why should I look it up?

Or you might not. For example, the first post in the thread you posted to saying you'd 'never understand' might have explained my involvement with Pod'Lair, or the reverse. The static reduces when you tune into the right frequency.
While the intention of this paragraph might say something, that something is not up for analysis. It seems "Pod'Lair is brought out from left field making it hard to put things together. This is the "Ask BAP" thread. He didn't ask me what I thought of Pod'Lair and had no intention to, IMO. If I had written this, I'd want to rewrite it. Note this seems be directed just to Cog with no link. This Pod'Lair statement is a statement I dismiss out of hand as the full causes may be far more complex.

There is a paragraph at the end addressed to "Pi." I hadn't noticed it. More of the same. If he the writer does not wish to converse with me on equal terms, why should I read it? It contains one unsubstantiated statement after the other. One statement about posts and identity is true, but he completely misreads me. There is no room for correcting this as we do not converse. Later I read a rather "hot" response making all sorts of unsubstantiated claims directly about me. Why would I want to engage this poster? Why does he -think- say I'm after him? I don't care to engage him. If you guys get something out of reading him, be my guest. He openly says it's not meant for everyone. I hope you guys wiil "get" him. If you do, explain it to me please.

Guys if you find my explanation not enlightening or limited, give me a quote from any intuitive and by then maybe I can try to say it better.

Lyra

Genesis Engineering Speciation
Local time
-->
If you're refusing to engage with what I'm saying then shut the fuck up about me, finally? I never asked you to follow me around, and was never interested in communicating to you personally. If what I'm saying requires effort or breaking your easy cognitive patterns, and you're not prepared to do so, why should I break what you suppose to be mine to engage with you? I shouldn't, unless I initiate the exchanged. Which I never do, with you. You insist on initiating again and again. Your claim in the above post to not be interested beggars belief.

If you'll remember, your current 'analysis' grew out of a year or so of obsession with me where you'd mention my name in every other post.

The claim of 'rationals' vs. 'intuitives' is massively overblown. I get on well with quite a lot of smart 'rationals', as far as the system goes. The primary factor here is that you're remarkably stupid about people, obsessed, and unable to accept that not everybody needs to make themselves immediately open to your form of life/discourse/understanding.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
Ho hum. My goodness. I had forgotten about you the last few days. Now I find you are talking to me. How strange! Unless you are playing some game or are suffering from some kind of fascination with me bordering on paranoia, I'd say it is YOU who is obsessed, if not with me as a person, then with something about me. Perhaps I have your number and without being aware of it you want to find out what that number is. Don't know.

Very well. Since you are engaging me I will give you my reactions as best I can.

If you're refusing to engage with what I'm saying then shut the fuck up about me, finally?
What you're saying is many things at once. It's like a tree. You want me to follow all the branches? I could try but I would get only more branches from you. That would not be productive IMO though I could be wrong.

As for "shutting up", what do you mean? You mean you are off limits for commentary? Many people have said they fail to understand you. If I propose to explain why, do you feel like you are being put in a cage? What's with you anyway that you dislike non-hostile commentary? If you find me in any way hostile, please indicate as much so I can correct that.
If you're refusing to engage with what I'm saying then shut the fuck up about me, finally?
I was refusing to analyze some things you say. If you speak of an apple, I don't care to take that apart. Instead I say, "the apple tastes this or that way to me." IOW I'm looking at the whole. Just looking. Is that fair? If you speak of Pod'Lair, can I give my impressions rather than analyze it?

I never asked you to follow me around, and was never interested in communicating to you personally.
Great statement! I find you to be one of the most direct posters on this forum in communicating to me personally. As for "following you around", what do you mean? I rarely mention you, but I do talk to many others. Am I following THEM around? I find your words belie your actions. Once again, feel free to personally chase after me and tell me how wrong I am. I must be too dense to see it.

If what I'm saying requires effort or breaking your easy cognitive patterns, and you're not prepared to do so, why should I break what you suppose to be mine to engage with you?
That's fair. But first we'd have to agree on what our respective cognitive patterns are, discover if either of us is rigid about them and look for common communication.

I shouldn't, unless I initiate the exchanged. Which I never do, with you. You insist on initiating again and again. Your claim in the above post to not be interested beggars belief.
I post a lot on many topics, so I forget what I said above. Allow me to reread it. Before I do, it would seem YOU are initiating this exchange. Perhaps you would like the final word. Don't know. What if I grant you the final word and I find loose threads hanging? ... like when you claim I am something I am not?

Later: Well I said a lot in that post. You refer to my "interest" without naming anything specific. How do you know my thoughts refer to YOU and not to something LARGER than you but using my experience with you as an example? You see, that is very different from being after you and harassing you personally. My interest has an Ni in its own right and you do not see what that is any more than I can see yours. I'm not interested in harassing or particularly criticizing or placing you on the spot even if it seems that way to you. We are mysteries to each other.

If you'll remember, your current 'analysis' grew out of a year or so of obsession with me where you'd mention my name in every other post.
We can't have a conversation if you're going to exaggerate like that. Oh. I forgot. We speak different languages. You exaggerate. I try to refrain from that. What year? Which year? Old Lyra or new? I post to whatever Lyra you are at the present.

The claim of 'rationals' vs. 'intuitives' is massively overblown. I get on well with quite a lot of smart 'rationals', as far as the system goes. The primary factor here is that you're remarkably stupid about people, obsessed, and unable to accept that not everybody needs to make themselves immediately open to your form of life/discourse/understanding.
When I make a post like that, I'm testing the reality of it looking for refinement or correction or critical feedback. Looks like no one responded so I didn't get any. What am I to assume? No one wanted to comment?

I'm glad you get along with rationals. Rationals are not all alike. I think that's the 2nd time you called me "stupid." What am I to think? That I am because you say so? I take that more as a statement of feeling about me than an objective truth. Not everyone would agree with you I am stupid. Perhaps you can be more analytical about that and allow me to see I made some mistake ... unless you are unable yourself to parse your own thoughts.

Finally Lyra, unless you are playing that game with me, how come what I say bothers you so much? In your place I would try and lighten up. I am a flawed person and you see me as "stupid." If that's the case, I should be dismissed as carrying no weight.

Absurdity

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 11:54 PM
-->
Let me get this straight: you asked yourself a question (in your own dead and boring thread of self-aggrandizement dedicated to the few people listless enough to seek your advice) about Lyra, out of nowhere, and even attempted to tag him in the post, but he, Lyra, is the one obsessed with you?

Just want to make sure nothing is further obscured in the impenetrably black night of a shadow cast by your towering ego here.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
Marcello. Are you asking me if you are an INTP? Somehow I wonder. Please clarify your "Ask BAP" question.

You are asking me to judge myself when you say little about yourself making you beyond comment. Nice.

Why would he need you for a defense? He can stand up for himself.

Wasn't it you who made a comment about Eleanor Roosevelt?

==================

http://intpforum.com/showpost.php?p=361322&postcount=68

Note: The post above was not my own sole origination but was prompted as a response to a post by Cognisant expressing bafflement by Lyra. I just spent some time trying to find it but couldn't locate it. Damn. At first I left it alone, but then decided it might have value on this thread. Do you really think I should have kept quiet or was it worthwhile to bring this up? Do you really think this is all about my ego or do you think there is a topic here? Gimme a break. The issue of the use of Ni versus analysis IS a valid topic.

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
-->
Do you stir your coffee clockwise or anti-clockwise?

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
Do you stir your coffee clockwise or anti-clockwise?
That Q is like asking me if I've stopped beating my wife. I don't drink coffee having de-caffeinated myself. Even if I did drink coffee you are assuming I know how to read a spinning clock.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Yesterday 8:54 PM
-->
In the Cathode Ray Tube Experiment, depending on the intensity of the electric and magnetic fields and their directions of polarity, the electrons will deflect in a particular direction.

Why is this? What is going on at the atomic level that causes this to happen?

cathode2.jpg

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
In the Cathode Ray Tube Experiment, depending on the intensity of the electric and magnetic fields and their directions of polarity, the electrons will deflect in a particular direction.

Why is this? What is going on at the atomic level that causes this to happen?

cathode2.jpg
This question is best answered by an xSTx physicist. My guess is because the electrons themselves have a charge, they are affected by the magnetic charge. However I do not know what charge is or how it affects space. Whatever "charge" is, it seems to have the property of direction. If two entities are charged, they will line up in the same direction so that their unity will have the same direction. This is the same thing as saying opposite charges attract. I will ask Architect.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
Nezumi I missed your Q.
What would happen if you found yourself suddenly floating in the vacuum of space?

1. You would instantly begin to orbit the nearest gravitational field.
2. You would free to death.
3. You would eventually suffocate if you had a space suit.
4. You would be very lonely.
5. You would begin to dream and eventually empty your mind. Not sure. I have been floated in a sensually deprived environment, but that was only for an hour or so. Fun to try.

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
-->
Freezing to death would take quite a while to do due to the lack of an atmosphere.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
-->
What is your theory on the phenomenon of dark energy...or less sensationalized, why the universe is expanding due to redshift and star brightness suggesting it is so?

This question is best answered by an xSTx physicist.
I will ask Architect.

I don't know if that was intentional or even implied, but I loled. :D

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
Freezing to death would take quite a while to do due to the lack of an atmosphere.
I thought one's body being liquid, solid and gas would freeze.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
What is your theory on the phenomenon of dark energy...or less sensationalized, why the universe is expanding due to redshift and star brightness suggesting it is so?
Good Q. Let's ask an astro-cosmologist.

I haven't looked at the latest on this, but the comments on dark matter have always puzzled me. If there are a lot of stars out there detectible, why wouldn't there be a lot of matter = dark matter not shining as well?

As for dark energy, I'm not sure if they aren't cheating by working backward. That is they see the universe expanding, unable to overcome gravitational forces and call the reason, "dark energy." They want to call the expansion of space, energy. This expansion is supposed to be a property of space. Since you ask, I just thought of this theory:

What if other universes outside our own are exerting ordinary gravitational forces on our own? That could account for dark, unseen energy. What's wrong with that? I can't believe that's right else someone else would have proposed that.

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
-->
I thought one's body being liquid, solid and gas would freeze.

Ah, but due to a lack of atmosphere, there would be little heat transference occurring and so you would stay warm for quite a while. Also, as your body is a closed system, your blood would not boil either.

NASA reckon you'd remain conscious for about 10-15 seconds as there is no air however. So death is inevitable. ^^

Duxwing

I've Overcome Existential Despair
Local time
-->
Ah, but due to a lack of atmosphere, there would be little heat transference occurring and so you would stay warm for quite a while. Also, as your body is a closed system, your blood would not boil either.

NASA reckon you'd remain conscious for about 10-15 seconds as there is no air however. So death is inevitable. ^^

Death is always inevitable. The question is how many seconds will tick by before we fall to Death's cold scythe.

-Duxwing

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
Death is always inevitable. The question is how many seconds will tick by before we fall to Death's cold scythe.

-Duxwing
Hmm. Interesting experiment. I would volunteer for science but wouldn't survive long enough to enjoy the outcome. If you would like to volunteer Dux, we could check you out.:D I will have to contact NASA but don't know if they will fund it. :confused:

own8ge

Existential Nihilist
Local time
-->
BAP, what is the meaning of -∞ to +∞, your avatar Pi and your name?

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
-->
What if other universes outside our own are exerting ordinary gravitational forces on our own? That could account for dark, unseen energy. What's wrong with that? I can't believe that's right else someone else would have proposed that.

I see nothing wrong with it. :D It would make sense for the accelerating expansion.

I think (and I'm speculating) that the average scientist doesn't prefer it however because it suggests that the boundaries of the universe are either unknown or non-existent. And I guess that annoys scientists. YAY :)

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
BAP, what is the meaning of -∞ to +∞, your avatar Pi and your name?
-∞ to +∞ means I'm open to anything without restrictions.

The avatar is the only one I could think of that is abstract enough state I want to present without emotion. That's not said very well. I'm sure I could do better for an avatar but it's good enough for now.

BigApplePi:
BigApple = nickname for New York where I'm from
ApplePi = being facetious
Pi = I have the equivalent of a Masters in math

When people ask about that I want to answer, "It's my name." I can have any name I want that is not obscene, too long, or taken.

I could ask you the same: What does "own8ge" mean?

own8ge

Existential Nihilist
Local time
-->
I could ask you the same: What does "own8ge" mean?

Hey now! This is a ask BAP thread not?
hehe, I choose the nickname when I was very young (it was my first nickname). Over the years, it have kind off became something of my own. People may dislike it, but I avoid people whom judge based on the e.g. a person's name nonetheless. Besides, I'm rather competitive and tend to own people. The kind of owning which can only be defined as own8ge. So I do suit my name. Besides the nickname own8ge sets people off in the wrong direction, which is something that suits me. People can't prejudge me, because I transcend predictability. The only way to predict me, is to take me for my honesty. Once you completely trust me, you will be able to understand me.

(I think you asking me for my nickname was hypothetical, but anyhow... People have things to share you know; makes them feel good. :D)

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
-->
Bap have you ever noticed this?

tumblr_mjnsw0sod81qbn1vmo1_500.jpg

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
No and thanks. BTW your new avatar resembles your old one of the past. Is it a negative or somethin'?

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
-->
No and thanks. BTW your new avatar resembles your old one of the past. Is it a negative or somethin'?

It actually is my old one only ever so slightly smaller (0.97 the original). :D

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
Not only all the letters, but all eight functions. There is no such thing as a developed INTP and there is no such thing as an INTP because an INTP is not a complete person.
What? Are you crazy? What's gotten into you BAP? Have you gone off the deep end? Why would you make such a stupid statement like that?

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Today 12:54 AM
-->
From AA ...

I retired at 52, but no one has inquired. :confused: Ask BAP

Didn't know that - congratulations. That certainly counts as an early retirement, I think you have some health issues, was it because of that? And what did you do before then?

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
From AA ...

Didn't know that - congratulations. That certainly counts as an early retirement, I think you have some health issues, was it because of that? And what did you do before then?
Thank you. No particular health issues ... unless you mean the time they had to put me back in that straight jacket after I managed to break out ...:D.

Before I retired? I worked! I'm surprised you didn't ask at what. I'll answer anyway. I saw to the well-being of customer software in mid-range computers. I didn't care for the job even with the nice fringe benefits.* I waited out the pension requirements, and retired as soon as I qualified.

*I was in the wrong job. You are indeed fortunate to be in an agreeable position today.

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 7:54 PM
-->
BAP, I think you mentioned you are a mathematician? What kind of work did you do/are you still doing (?) related to this? Was this something you used in your computer-software work? Did you ever teach mathematics?

How much do you like/dislike mathematics, and if you do indeed have such a relationship to mathematics; why?

Why was the software job wrong for you?

What career path/other alternative would you have chosen if hindsight worked in a forward direction?

I don't know if these questions are a bit silly, but I am genuinely curious.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
BAP, I think you mentioned you are a mathematician? What kind of work did you do/are you still doing (?) related to this? Was this something you used in your computer-software work? Did you ever teach mathematics?

How much do you like/dislike mathematics, and if you do indeed have such a relationship to mathematics; why?

Why was the software job wrong for you?

What career path/other alternative would you have chosen if hindsight worked in a forward direction?

I don't know if these questions are a bit silly, but I am genuinely curious.
Polaris these are very difficult questions to answer in public though I know the answers very well myself.

Perhaps I could summarize by saying as a teenager I was much like many teens on this board. What I became was a natural outcome of the limitations you will find due to the limitations of the INTP oriented person.

I am not a mathematician. A mathematician is one who does or has the potential to do creative mathematics on the forefront of mathematical knowledge. I never reached that level. I have the equivalent of a master's degree in math.

As a pre-teen I loved numbers and wanted to do anything related to them. They seemed to have a beauty ... something one could find dependable in an undependable world. What did I know? Nothing. I -countinued- continued my math'l schooling until I could go no farther in grad school. When I left grad school (yes I taught calculus to freshman college students for a year) I was ready to take any job that would hire me. One cannot do a mathematical job of choice unless one has a Ph.D. in math. That's the way it is.

So I took a job in programming because I easily qualified ... got 100 percent in the tests they gave me. Not a problem. But my personality was so introverted I never got control of anything I was doing. Math had beauty. I was disappointed I was not going to be a great mathematician ... a childhood fantasy; programming I was passive to. I did that for many years and that was fine, but eventually the company ran out of large programming contracts. I was asked to join a computer sales office where I would be technical programming support to computer sales people. This job frightened me as rubbing up with extroverted sales people was not compatible with me, a supposed INTP. I was alone and got no advice from anyone and didn't know how to get it. So I continued the job, held onto it and thought about no alternatives. Fine. That's the way my life was going to be.

Your Q's are not silly because they are about life. It's too late for me to live my life over again, but I'm sure with 30 more I.Q. points I would have done fine with being a professor of math at some college. Not having those I.Q. points, I suppose I could have become a research psychologist of some kind if I had gotten guidance because I kind of understand it and like it. You probably can see some of this by what my interests on this Forum are.

Do these answers interest you? I've forgotten what your ambitions are.

I'll stop here.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
I was born in Feb 1937, pre-baby boomer, and remember things about WWII. That puts me at the other end of the scale from where most people are here. It means we have something strange in common ... being close to end points.

This Forum should take advantage of this to ask me questions about your life line. I don't know what those Q's would be.

Ink

Local time
Today 7:54 AM
-->
Are there any significant differences for INTPs growing up in this time compared to yours you could think of? And the classic: if you could go back in time and tell yourself something, what would it be?

Polaris

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 7:54 PM
-->
Polaris these are very difficult questions to answer in public though I know the answers very well myself.

Perhaps I could summarize by saying as a teenager I was much like many teens on this board. What I became was a natural outcome of the limitations you will find due to the limitations of the INTP oriented person.

I understand. I was a little wary that these questions could be perceived as a little bit too personal, sorry.

I am not a mathematician. A mathematician is one who does or has the potential to do creative mathematics on the forefront of mathematical knowledge. I never reached that level. I have the equivalent of a master's degree in math.

As a pre-teen I loved numbers and wanted to do anything related to them. They seemed to have a beauty ... something one could find dependable in an undependable world. What did I know? Nothing. I -countinued- continued my math'l schooling until I could go no farther in grad school. When I left grad school (yes I taught calculus to freshman college students for a year) I was ready to take any job that would hire me. One cannot do a mathematical job of choice unless one has a Ph.D. in math. That's the way it is.

So I took a job in programming because I easily qualified ... got 100 percent in the tests they gave me. Not a problem. But my personality was so introverted I never got control of anything I was doing. Math had beauty. I was disappointed I was not going to be a great mathematician ... a childhood fantasy; programming I was passive to. I did that for many years and that was fine, but eventually the company ran out of large programming contracts. I was asked to join a computer sales office where I would be technical programming support to computer sales people. This job frightened me as rubbing up with extroverted sales people was not compatible with me, a supposed INTP. I was alone and got no advice from anyone and didn't know how to get it. So I continued the job, held onto it and thought about no alternatives. Fine. That's the way my life was going to be.
Oh....I feel a little saddened by this. It emphasises the notion that many people who seemingly have the 'dream job' and make good money may still not be content with the outcomes of their lives...by the time they have reached that point in their lives they may be tied into mortgages and family commitments.

Don't get me wrong; I am not at all assuming this is how your life is or even how you feel...you may be quite content by now and I personally think what you contribute with your mind here far more valuable. External things are important; however, I don't look at 'achievements' in the same way as others. I view success as something independent of external achievements.

A successful person is at large content with their lives, despite their perceived shortcomings. If we avoid forming strong attachments to our dreams we will not 'fail'. But I can very well understand your disappointment as a younger person. I was gutted for a long time that I couldn't become a musician, for example. But I have found other means of cultivating my love for music, and have found expression through other means. And even if I had become a professional musician, my introvertedness and reluctance to perform would have been a problem...much like your own predicament.

However, when you have discovered the beauty of mathematics in the way you did, only to have to let go of it.....I don't know...I think I can understand, maybe.

Your Q's are not silly because they are about life. It's too late for me to live my life over again, but I'm sure with 30 more I.Q. points I would have done fine with being a professor of math at some college. Not having those I.Q. points, I suppose I could have become a research psychologist of some kind if I had gotten guidance because I kind of understand it and like it. You probably can see some of this by what my interests on this Forum are.

Do these answers interest you? I've forgotten what your ambitions are.

I'll stop here.
Yes, thank you. I find these very interesting.

I can also relate to your point about guidance. I wasn't very challenged at school. With the educational system in my home country, there is a policy of getting all pupils to the same level of knowledge, regardless of their capabilities. This level was quite low. As I seemed to have no problems, noone attempted to push me harder as I was already doing fine, and well beyond that. I got a lot of unwanted attention, though, which made me attempt to hide my abilities in order to blend in better.

I wish I had grown up in a more competitive environment, I think I would have pursued music and science earlier on, and not given up as soon as something didn't 'click' straight away. I wasn't accustomed to challenges, and when I didn't 'get' something straight away, I thought I was stupid (didn't help that my older brother was declared a genius).

So I grew up thinking I was different and stupid, while I excelled at school....:confused:

I therefore had mediocre aims early on as I was worried about failing.

As for my ambitions...I don't even know what they are any more. I have nearly finished a second degree, but I'm at the point where I'm questioning the value of it. I have hit another point of disillusionment...hoping that too, will pass.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
Are there any significant differences for INTPs growing up in this time compared to yours you could think of?
I think internally for INTPs they must be the same. Technology has changed. The internet allows shy people to communicate with others more easily though not completely. I grew up with radio. I still remember those radio programs and their mystery let my imagination run. Don't know if that answers your Q.
And the classic: if you could go back in time and tell yourself something, what would it be?
Not sure I get this Q. It would be cheating to tell myself about the future ... but you may not mean that.

I could tell myself not to invest in a losing stock. I could tell myself not to spend so much time with a particular woman and instead seek out others. There may be some novels out there of people who have gone back in time and tried to change things but in the end found things the same ... not sure.

Top Bottom