• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Avengers ENDGAME

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
Today 5:25 PM
-->
Who is HYPED. Watching it on Wednesday. Skipping class to see it ^_^

Will tell you guys how it went, without spoilers of course.

Bring me Thanos~!

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 5:55 PM
-->
I'm pretty excited. I know it's popular to hate on marvel movies for being repetitive etc., but I think there's a lot to be excited about too. They're frequently breaking new frontiers and setting standards for the genre - I'm amazed at how well they've done so far.

Infinity War was a lot better than it had any right being, I don't think endgame will be as good, but the momentum of infinity war makes me want to see endgame badly.

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
-->
Just finished watching. Will write up a review later.

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
-->
Ok super superupeurpseurpsuprsreusperuspersuper major spoilers.

First of all, the film really ends the story arc of the First Avengers.

All of the first Avengers become 'non-functional' after the film, except for Hawkeye.

I think they did the ending somewhat poorly, but given that it was a 3 hour long movie I feel like to give it a good ending for all the main characters would be a huge hassle to do. I don't think they even gave Tony justice with his funeral, for example. A lot of talk about Captain America not having a good ending, because they splice the his end in like 3 minutes or so without much development in that regard. Thor not becoming king of the Asgardians and Valkyrie not really proving herself to become their queen somewhat was undeveloped in my opinion. Nat dying was somewhat random too (she dies to acquire the Soul Stone. They probably should have developed her theme of the Avengers being her only family to really drive the point of her sacrifice. Hulk being non-functional is a bummer though.

Overall the film gets a 8.5/10 in my opinion. The big fight scene was just epic. It was basically Rohan coming to save the day all over again.

The main plot/action was well written too, where the meat of the story is, which I won't discuss.

So the two things I have issues with are with how they wrapped up the endings and how Thanos didn't get much development time. Nor did I think his character was consistent with his demeanor from the Infinity Wars. What I mean by this is that you don't really see how Thanos comes to terms with how his future self did what he did, nor does he pick up the pieces emotionally after the snap.

I honestly wouldn't have complained if the movie was a bit more longer so that they would be able to wrap up the endings more nicely.

The basic theme of the movie was family, I think, and growing up to see from different perspectives. Tony becomes the sacrifice that Cap always was offering himself up to be, while Cap finally gets his own time off, in a form which I won't discuss. They sort of exchange priorities in the movie. The family thing is really obvious as the film goes by, like the father-daughter dynamic of Tony and his daughter, Hawkeye and his own family, sister-sister dynamic of Gomorra and Nebula, son-mother dynamic of Thor, father-son dynamic of Tony and Howard. There's just a lot of family moments and growing up in the film that's really touching. Cap and Peggy is another obvious one too, though it doesn't get emotionally explored as it could have. The funeral reflects this too, as the avengers are with their respective families to grieve for Tony's death.

There's a lot more of course, and I'd happy to disclose any spoilers if anyone wants them.

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
-->
No, there's tons of spoilers. I don't think I could do a spoilerless review, there's just too much in the movie that's new and impactful on the narrative.

I really REALLY recommend seeing it though, I honestly think this is one of the few movies I would actually go out and recommend to people.

Also I honestly see it beating Titanic in terms of worldwide box office gross.. the.. man... no words..

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 9:25 PM
-->
Just watched it.

Definitely epic, definitely requires you to have seen the other movies to understand what's going on, definitely seems like the last ever Avengers movie or at very least the last ever movie with this generation of Avengers.

The Grey Man

τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει
Local time
Today 3:25 AM
-->
Saw it last night.

It was a retrospective, not just on the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but also the past few years of my life. When The Winter Soldier came out in 2014, I was a big fan of Marvel comics and Captain America in particular. To me, this character was a representation of an idea of personal courage and duty to be striven towards. Today, I am more skeptical of the idea of spiritual fulfillment by participation in historical movements animated by a common ideology, and I take widely distributed films such as Endgame to be, as a rule, vacuous affirmations of these ideologies (I will leave open the question of whether the films are shaped by broad social trends or the other way around). Endgame, like the rest of the MCU movies, is "a piece of cake," though I mean this in a sense quite different from that of Hitchcock. The movie was momentarily gratifying, but ephemeral and of dubious nutritive value.

Nevertheless, I find that the character of Captain America as portrayed by Chris Evans has some enduring aesthetic value. I don't think I will be spoiling much when I say that the forces arrayed against him are stronger than ever, and thus his sublime devotion to duty particularly conspicuous, in this installment of the MCU.

lightfire

Local time
-->
Just watched it.

Definitely epic, definitely requires you to have seen the other movies to understand what's going on, definitely seems like the last ever Avengers movie or at very least the last ever movie with this generation of Avengers.

What movies do you recommend to watch in order lol.

I tried a marvel marathon last year but got distracted.

Deleted member 1424

I enjoyed it when I watched it, but upon reflection it leaves me pretty cold. IW was better. Some bad character choices were made and moments that should've hit harder just didn't. Plus I guess I'm just not a big enough marvel fan to appreciate the constant callbacks. The climax was legit though.

Also the very big thing that happened was narratively and pragmatically compulsory and I called it walking out of iw. Might have more impact for people who didn't expect it.

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
-->
The movie was momentarily gratifying, but ephemeral and of dubious nutritive value.

Really? I thought the family theme was pretty good. The interactions between the daughter-father, son-father, sister-sister, friend to friend, husband to wife, and so on. The film wasn't necessarily a showcase of a battle of ideologies but more of a coming to grips with yourself and about learning how to move on. Tony thought that he would have to stay out of the fight for his daughter, but he sacrifices himself, and his daughter's future for the world, for example. He comes to terms with himself with his father, and so on. Hawkeye and his family, Nebula and Gomorra's relationship, Captain America on duty vs earned rest, Thor and his mother on duty and the wants of the heart, and so on. Plenty of juxtapositions to make the movie worthwhile, imo.

Personally I thought the movie, or at least the first hour was a good reflection of the tragedies America went through, like 9/11 and the school shootings. People trying to live on even when the worst had happened to them, to striving to make the best out of life.

Endgame was a bit of everything though, there's going to be a lot of analysis I feel when the weeks go by.

The only catch I feel in the movie was how Nebula's robotics/memory system gets entangled, which ultimately becomes the catalyst for past-Thanos to come into the present. I mean, if that mechanic wasn't there, the last hour of the film would have never happened. lol. I feel like there should have been a scene where Thanos comes to terms with his own death in the present and to take on the memories of his old self somehow. The conflict with past-Thanos doesn't have the same gravitas as the charged conflict the Avengers had with the Thanos of the Infinity War.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 9:25 PM
-->
The heroes winning could never be as interesting or dramatic as them losing.

The Grey Man

τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει
Local time
-->
I thought the family theme was pretty good. The interactions between the daughter-father, son-father, sister-sister, friend to friend, husband to wife, and so on. The film wasn't necessarily a showcase of a battle of ideologies but more of a coming to grips with yourself and about learning how to move on. Tony thought that he would have to stay out of the fight for his daughter, but he sacrifices himself, and his daughter's future for the world, for example. He comes to terms with himself with his father, and so on. Hawkeye and his family, Nebula and Gomorra's relationship, Captain America on duty vs earned rest, Thor and his mother on duty and the wants of the heart, and so on. Plenty of juxtapositions to make the movie worthwhile, imo.

I thought it was pretty funny, actually, how all the heroes of the movie find a way to escape from the perceived responsibilities that make them heroes. After several movies of trying to find his moral bearings after being thrown into the future, Captain America escapes into the past; Iron Man dies; Thor gets permission from his mother to abandon Asgard and gallivant around the galaxy with Star-Lord and company. Spider-man is arguably a greater hero than any of them for actually trying to find a balance between his public and private lives, as he always does.

The heroes winning could never be as interesting or dramatic as them losing.

+1 Thor's impotent rage and Captain America's refusal to give up even though there was no apparent solution to the world's predicament at the beginning was perhaps my favourite part of the movie.

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 8:25 AM
-->
i feel like boycotting every marvel movie

venom is an exception.

Niclmaki

Disturber of the Peace
Local time
Today 4:25 AM
-->
It was pretty cool. I’m a sucker for fancy cgi and special effects tho.

I have only watched a smattering of Marvel Universe shows tho. So I was actually clueless about a lot of the characters. Especially when they showed the guy with a sword absolutely offing peeps. Eg. no idea who hawkeye is, or natalie or w/e her name was. No idea who that was riding pegasus, no idea who super girl is, other than that she says she is busy defending the rest of the galaxy from something. (She repeated herself often) Was a bit glad when she got yeeted out of the film by the power stone.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
Today 1:25 AM
-->
That wasn’t that good of a “review”, spoilers or not. Infinity War was kind of better, and Age of Ultron and Winter Soldier, as well as Civil war, had more memorable moments, not just because they were out longer. For some reason this final battle seemed underwhelming, and I actually blinked when Thor cut Thanos’s head off, so missed it and have to see it again.

The suspense was there, as it led audiences to wonder how they’ll overcome the adversity. I wish the climax battle had more action, even though it was basically Begnion coming to save the day from Daein all over again (or even Cruachan invading Ulster). People don’t get Hawkeye’s importance or his all-pervasiveness because they fail to grasp the big picture.

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 8:25 AM
-->
Marvel is the McDonalds of films

Edit: that’s a joke btw, I haven't seen any marvel movies

lightfire

Local time
-->
I'm kind of overwhelmed by how many marvel movies I need to watch IN ORDER so I gave up entirely.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
Today 1:25 AM
-->
I enjoyed it when I watched it, but upon reflection it leaves me pretty cold. IW was better. Some bad character choices were made and moments that should've hit harder just didn't. Plus I guess I'm just not a big enough marvel fan to appreciate the constant callbacks. The climax was legit though.
IW wasn’t just necessarily “better”, it makes you smarter. Endgame was rushed. Even worse, everyone was waiting for it in anticipation for longer than it seemed. Also, no doubt anyone understood it that fast. So no, it wasn’t a satisfying climax at all to what was once considered a classic number of films. The way they had to do it anyway was combine elements and characters from the source material to even make a coherent project in that medium. Too bad the joke has gone on long enough so that isn’t funny anymore, so everyone involved audiences included are just giving it up partially because it wasn’t giving them what they want. If you want action watch an action or adventure film or anime, not this material. It’s more heady, science fiction oriented and cerebral bordering on intellectual material. Film is an audio visual medium and they have no more than three hours to do it all. That’s why TV has been barely more workable on Netflix to the Marvel and DC shows on there. Too much access took what was once epic about it away.
Also the very big thing that happened was narratively and pragmatically compulsory and I called it walking out of iw. Might have more impact for people who didn't expect it.
I didn’t like the time travel stuff that much. It wasn’t the best element to use for something difficult or challenging seeing as how most people watching it are doing so for the friend aspect. I reviewed the films, and one aspect is, as you grow as a person, and rewatch them if necessary you could sometimes “notice” things you didn’t catch the first time, the connections working a different way. The bad part about some of the battle sequences is they’re just like music videos, editors using an “MTV” style of film editing for them.

Top Bottom