• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Basing an RPG on the MBTI

5k17

suspective
Local time
Today 6:26 PM
-->
I have been planning to do what the thread title says for quite a while, and have recently started doing some programming on it (in C++, and using the Allegro library, in case anyone cares); however, I do not yet have a framed out concept, only some rough ideas. I don't know of any other instances of MBTI-based RPGs, but of course, such a thing may exist (if you know about one, I'd love to hear about it). The idea in itself is certainly not entirely new; I've found a thread on typologycentral.com [link] discussing how the MBTI functions could be implemented in RPGs, and some other pages where the idea is casually mentioned.
This thread is both about the idea of creating such an RPG (in how far it is possible, if it's a better or worse concept than that of usual RPGs, etc.) and this game I'm creating (game mechanisms, plot, design, etc.). Any creative input from your side is welcome; please note that you therby agree to be mentioned in the credits.
Since I cannot edit the OP after some time has passed, but wish to have somewhere to display the current status of the game, I've created a page about it [link] which I plan to regularly update and where the details of my current work and problems are; however, if there is interest in this, I will also announce any important progress and decisions here.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 5:26 AM
-->
So with skills/attributes based on type or what?

I = Ranged
E = Melee
S = Weapons
N = Magic
F = Add-on Healing/Buff Spells
T = Add-on Defensive/Tactical Spells
J = Armoured
P = Stealthy

And you upgrade one letter at a time when leveling up.

E.g. level 1 -> 2
+1 to "N" = stronger magical attacks
Assuming of course the class is an intuitive type.

5k17

suspective
Local time
-->
Yes, something like that... Ranged/melee preference might be partly based on I/E, but I think F/T might play a role there, too. Also, the attributes and skills will not only be based on the four type dimensions as such, but also the dominance and I/E orientation of the F/T and N/S functions.
The concept of levelling up is not really planned to be part of the game (although levels as a pure measure of experience, without any actual advantages derived from them, may be integrated), but there will be the possibility to train function-based skills (and others ones, too; this will happen automatically: whenever experience is gained, it will be distributed on the skills that have lately been used most).

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Ranged/melee preference might be partly based on I/E, but I think F/T might play a role there, too.
I was just thinking in terms of simple characterization, in my imagination the introverted archers and ranged magic users will generally find themselves standing apart from the others (out of melee range) and away from each other, or at least in small groups of 2-3 (to avoid getting in each other's way). Meanwhile extroverts will tend to stay together and move to the forefront of any mixed group so they can support each other in melee combat and create a protective barrier for the ranged attackers and those specializing in healing/tactical abilities.

Also, the attributes and skills will not only be based on the four type dimensions as such, but also the dominance and I/E orientation of the F/T and N/S functions.
Interesting, but I advise against making this too complicated, good game design is rarely complicated game design, and the main cause of failure in small game development projects is the developer's inability to set or stick to an achievable scope.

Better to make something simple, that works, and is fun, than to spend ages trying to create something incredible, only for it to end up being full of bugs, with poorly realized game-play.
THIS HAPPENS A LOT!!!
EVEN THE PROFESSIONALS MAKE THESE MISTAKES!!!

Remember your goal here is to make a game, and the whole point of a game is that it’s fun to play, consider that in everything you do, because if it’s not adding the fun-factor, then why are you doing it?

whenever experience is gained, it will be distributed on the skills that have lately been used most
Careful, don't make the mistakes they made with ES: Oblivion.

5k17

suspective
Local time
-->

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
When your character levelled up, the enemies levelled up, making levelling up itself totally fucking pointless, indeed most people would avoid having their character sleep at all (you levelled up after sleeping) so they could max out every single spell at level 1.

The alternative was being gang raped by goblins just outside of the main city at level 15.

Also, conceptually, having skills improve with use was great, it's just that in reality when there's locked doors/chests everywhere you either have to be good at alteration magic, lock-picking, or just go without access to almost all of the loot. Then again if you choose to be an archer you had better stock up on feather potions, because with your low strength attribute and no magic to make your loot lighter, you may be able to get to all the loot, but you sure as hell can't take it all with you.

Local time
Today 5:26 PM
-->
You need an awesome story to make an awesome game.

5k17

suspective
Local time
-->
You need an awesome story to make an awesome game.
That's true. Regrettably, I do not have any idea of a plot as yet and am generally not a great creator of complex, coherent storylines. But, as I think I have already mentioned, any ideas (concerning any aspects of the game, at least now that nothing is really decided yet) from your side are welcome.

Local time
-->
That's true. Regrettably, I do not have any idea of a plot as yet and am generally not a great creator of complex, coherent storylines. But, as I think I have already mentioned, any ideas (concerning any aspects of the game, at least now that nothing is really decided yet) from your side are welcome.
Cool.I will try to help with the story thing(I love thinking about stories,but don't write them down)I think I will help after finishing my exams.I am not sure yet. I will try anyways.

dark

Bring this savage back home.
Local time
Today 12:26 PM
-->
I agree with Cognisant's skill/attributes. As an extrovert I always found it hard to play ranged, but I wanted magic more than I wanted a nice looking weapon. So when the death knights in wow came out you can guess how excited an ENTP would be about a magical melee tank with some engineering to give me a little stealth every now and then.

On a more helpful note, for this game, are you looking to make the story line fantasy based, science fiction, or something post-apocalyptic? Those are usually the 3 main genre of games I see floating around. Personally I like science fictional spaceie things, but I haven't played any RPGs along those lines.

For level up, I don't exactly remember how it went but Neverwinter Nights had a really nice system that I enjoyed. But I can't seem to remember how it worked.

One last thing, will this RPG be actual role playing or will it be like most so called RPGs that are just a game that allows you to level and semi-customize the character and really not develop the character personally? I would find it interesting to find a true role playing game. And I think this route could bring that idea to possibility.

5k17

suspective
Local time
-->
On a more helpful note, for this game, are you looking to make the story line fantasy based, science fiction, or something post-apocalyptic? Those are usually the 3 main genre of games I see floating around. Personally I like science fictional spaceie things, but I haven't played any RPGs along those lines.
I don't know yet. Personally, I prefer fantasy settings, but I will most likely not have much to do with the plot, and the game design is not yet detailed enough to make a distinction in that area.

For level up, I don't exactly remember how it went but Neverwinter Nights had a really nice system that I enjoyed. But I can't seem to remember how it worked.
I played it too... but I don't remember it either.

One last thing, will this RPG be actual role playing or will it be like most so called RPGs that are just a game that allows you to level and semi-customize the character and really not develop the character personally? I would find it interesting to find a true role playing game. And I think this route could bring that idea to possibility.
I'll see what I can do. The character will, of course, have to be somewhat restricted in their choices, depending on the personality chosen, and actual "true role-playing" might not be easy to implement, but it will certainly not be a game like many of those open world games where the main character is completely neglected in that respect.

jacoluksevicius

shining darkness
Local time
Today 1:26 PM
-->
I = Ranged
E = Melee
S = Weapons
N = Magic
J = Armoured
P = Stealthy

I think it's great, but I guess J and P would be different, maybe something like this:

P = can use more than one element (eg.: light AND darkness)
J = can use only one element (eg.: light OR darkness), however, it can use stronger versions of the skills of the same element as the ones used by the P

James Black

Local time
-->
One could also consider replacing I E S N F T J P with Ti Te Fi Fe Si Se Ni Ne

Czech Yes or No

Personality is only a small part of your person.
Local time
Today 11:26 AM
-->

I = Ranged
E = Melee
S = Weapons
N = Magic
J = Armoured
P = Stealthy

E.g. level 1 -> 2
lol, nice, N+1 reference.

Rakshasa

Local time
-->
One could also consider replacing I E S N F T J P with Ti Te Fi Fe Si Se Ni Ne

I like this. It's more complex, but that's what gives the capacity for truly unique characters. Bonuses from missions and the like could be a large factor in making characters unique. And a good leveling system will make or break the game. To me it's all in the ability to make unique characters, and maintaining difficulty.

This game sounds like it could be a lot of fun. Willing to help in whatever way possible.

Pangolin

Redshirt
Local time
Today 11:26 AM
-->
Ugh, I just did a long description about a game I'm working on using cognitive processes, but the forum ate it, so nevermind.

Desu

Redshirt
Local time
-->

I = Ranged
E = Melee
S = Weapons
N = Magic
J = Armoured
P = Stealthy

E.g. level 1 -> 2

Yes and No.

I = Stealth (J) / Ranged (P)
E = Battle (J) / Melee (P)

S = Combat
N = Magic

T = Offensive
F = Defensive

J = Specializes in Offensive/Defensive
P = Specializes in Combat/Magic

From this we can deduce what the functions mean.

Si = Ranged Combat
Se = Melee Combat

Ni = Ranged Magic
Ne = Melee Magic

Ts attack for the benefit of the team or for their own.
Ti = Stealthy Offensive
Te = Battle Offensive

Fs defend their friends and ideals even if it means attacking.
Fi = Stealthy Defensive (*passive)
Fe = Battle Defensive

Now we can begin typing.

I have noticed that the T types are much easier to type.
INTJ: Wizard (uses destructive magic and negative potions)
INTP: Assassin Mage
ENTP: Battlemage
ENTJ: Summoner or Warlord

ISTJ: Ranger
ISTP: Rogue (Assassin)
ESTP: Warrior
ESTJ: Knight

INFP: Whitemage (healer)
INFJ: Druid (wise, uses magic barriers and antidotes)
ENFJ: Cleric (a healer, but also a fighter)
ENFP: Magician (uses magic to entertain people)

ISFP: Rogue (Thief)
ISFJ: Guard (not rly an RPG class but still a good match)
ESFJ: Paladin
ESFP: The male ones' a Bard, the female a Whore. The truth is hard, which I'm sorry for.

Vion

Banned
Local time
-->
INTP: Assassin Mage

That is somewhat vague let me elaborate more. Demolitions/Saboteur/Heavy Weapons. That guy laying all the mines/setting up the really big OMGWTFBBQ nuke spell for when all the debuffs align. Penta kill or bust!

RaBind

sparta? THIS IS MADNESS!!!
Local time
-->
You could attempt to mix the functions with the usual rpg attributes such as strength, intelligence, charisma, agility... with the function preferences affecting several attributes positively while affecting some others negatively.

I.E. Se could increase strength, agility, perhaps charisma slightly. It's lack of or the lack of adequate supporting functions could have negative effects on the character. An intp character (simply someone with the intp function stack) who has an unnatural amount of Ti but very undeveloped Ne, Si and Fe will have several debilitating debuffs, making such a build very specialized and adding a balancing mechanism to the system.

_whispers_

Vidi Vici Veni
Local time
-->
This all sounds really interesting. Here are my ideas:

- I understand that different personalities will have different styles and I like that. My issue with it is that I am an INTP and I love getting up close and personal with my enemies. I only use magic and long range attacks as supporting to melee attacks (to preserve ammo, when overwhelmed, for pretty effects, when bored). Maybe you can allow for some spill over of skills and weapons, based on temperaments? For example INTP and INTJ from the Rationals (I'm looking at Desu's example for this). Since they are in the same group INTP could also be able to use negative potions, but won't be as good as INTJ. The INTP might not be able to do/will take longer to learn the high class potions or would have a higher chance at failing when creating one. Alternatively you can group them based on common functions. Another option is to have a number of weapons and skills that can be used by all the types, so they would be typeless? I don't know what's going to be easier to program and I don't want to offer something really difficult.

- I think it's really good when the story grabs you right at the beginning of the game and side/exploration missions become available soon after. The idea is that the player has already emerged in the game, has become invested and will be more likely to keep on playing.

- I would recommend some sort of leveling up system. I know a lot of people who are motivated and would spend more time playing just to get a higher score/level/style/whatever you want to call it.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I don't understand why each type would be forced to do a particular thing (go melee, ranged, etc), where the hell is diplomacy, hirelings, poison, arson, threats, legal actions, trade, etc.

Instead NPC and character design could be founded on MBTI and Jung to provide nuance and depth. It could even be structured to form a feasibly accurate typing by the time the game is finished; the player could be typed as such or such based on their choices and playstyle.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
I don't understand why each type would be forced to do a particular thing (go melee, ranged, etc), where the hell is diplomacy, hirelings, poison, arson, threats, legal actions, trade, etc.

That was essentially my complaint. Many types do multiple things (despite perhaps having some general interests), it's just HOW they do it that tends to differ.

Cramming each type into such a rigid combat-oriented slot doesn't seem to explore the types more than superficiality and with a limited facet.

Alias

empirical miracle
Local time
-->
My issue with it is that I am an INTP and I love getting up close and personal with my enemies.

That could be solved if there were a system so that you could balance out your functions as you level, making yourself more well-rounded.

Kind of like real life.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
so did this actually happen or was it another great intp idea that got abandoned?:rip:

I'm not sure it was ever a great idea, but it was certainly an ambitious one, lost in the drifting INTP ether of "maybe's."

bvanevery

Redshirt who doesn't die
Local time
-->
I despair of any possibility of commercial success for such an idea. Too wonky and select a niche, I think, to support development costs.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Tomorrow 1:56 AM
-->
It's interesting that, for the most part, people roleplay an aspect of themselves. An argument could be made that certain classes in traditional roleplay games are indicative of type. For instance, ISTP = ranger, INTP = wizard etc. It's obviously not clear-cut, and it's certainly a stretch, but people are often predictable. Other elements could fit such a mold, such as preference of style within a class (I may play wizards, but I don't cast fireball unless I have to; others do nothing but), alignments, motives, associates, skills, stat scores. Most nerds don't like taking a low INT character, but have no problem dumping charisma, for instance.

This all said, some people do genuinely enjoy role-playing something entirely unlike themselves - this too is indicative of something I'm sure.

bvanevery

Redshirt who doesn't die
Local time
-->
Except when the ranger is actually a geologist seeking evidence for plate tectonics. Or the wizard just likes making pretty fireworks. I really don't buy the idea of MBTI types corresponding to character classes. They would need to be about attitude towards work.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Tomorrow 1:56 AM
-->
I'm suggesting some correlations, not rules. I also mentioned that within a class there was different styles, such as the fireballworks wizard. I don't buy the idea of MBTI to begin with, this is just me entertaining ideas.

Top Bottom