• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Being Pedantic

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
Today 10:58 AM
-->
It’s said a trait of INTP is pedantic-ness. While this is true, it is commonly seen these days among other types, mainly extroverts, as trend more so than anything else. It sometimes is or isn’t valid depending on its use. Is it just me or is there unnecessary pedantry? And, what to make of it? Sometimes it’s just people fascinated with the idea of INTP and trying to be it, whereas sometimes they’re, as redbaron put it, “moving goalposts”, or just changing the topic to make it seem like they’re smarter, missing the point, so they try to make it about them so another point can count.

rlnb

Local time
Tomorrow 1:58 AM
-->
A lot depends on the attitude with which someone enters a conversation.
You could have an attitude of:
  1. I have a point of view but am I interested in understanding the other persons point of view and see where the two fit or don't fit /how they are similar or different
  2. I have a point of view and want to convince the other person that this is right.
  3. I may or may not have a point of view but just want to win.
  4. I may or may not have a point of view but want to be part of the conversation.
2 and 3 probably result in high levels of pedantry (at least with things like moving the goal post, changing the topic etc )

One top of all this , we must also account for communication styles. Some people just have very formal or terse communication style and can come off as pretentious to others.
And also there is the the case of a conversion on a technical subject between an expert and a layman. To the layman, the expert may seem too pedantic. (Case in point : @The Grey Man. He is probably a PhD in philosophy and I cant make sense of most of what he is saying as I am a layman)

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Tomorrow 3:28 AM
-->
Pedantry is typically a losing social strat. It's self-defeating. It's usually seen as a weird dominance thing and people watching are more forgiving of the correctee than the corrector.

If someone is incorrect about something and you want to bring their attention to it, phrase it as a question. "I thought it was XXXX, have I been wrong all this time?". They'll google it, you won't seem like you're asserting dominance, and they won't feel like it's just your opinion mannnnn. And if you're wrong you're not the biggest dickhead in the world, just someone who is open to correction.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
Pedantry is typically a losing social strat. It's self-defeating. It's usually seen as a weird dominance thing and people watching are more forgiving of the correctee than the corrector.

If someone is incorrect about something and you want to bring their attention to it, phrase it as a question. "I thought it was XXXX, have I been wrong all this time?". They'll google it, you won't seem like you're asserting dominance, and they won't feel like it's just your opinion mannnnn. And if you're wrong you're not the biggest dickhead in the world, just someone who is open to correction.
A lot of people are doing the same thing. It could possibly just be a matter of one sorting out their priorities. Asserting dominance is concrete, and to “eat” something “metaphorically” is no more abstract than physical things are concrete. When one person does something no one likes it, then when certain other people do it it’s lauded. People want what they can’t have, and see absorption as an end and a means to attaining some kind of enlightenment or strength. It’s a “dog eat dog world out there.” Sometimes you just realize that your peers didn’t even really go to college and take everything as a dick measuring contest to try and get revenge because out of insecurity they were probably offended by a thing. As far as opportunism goes, it isn’t a trait, and is something anyone can do, seeing as how, again, it’s not something confined to one personality characteristic or personality archetype.

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
Today 7:58 PM
-->
I don't think voicing pedantry is a intp trait? Intps don't tend to be neurotic? They might wish people to be more accurate internally, but they wouldn't let it get in the way of an argument or so? They'd see the big picture rather than the individual's focus on the wrong definition?

That being said, being confrontational about shit you think is wrong will rarely yield good results. Even if facts are on your side.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
I don't think voicing pedantry is a intp trait? Intps don't tend to be neurotic? They might wish people to be more accurate internally, but they wouldn't let it get in the way of an argument or so? They'd see the big picture rather than the individual's focus on the wrong definition?

That being said, being confrontational about shit you think is wrong will rarely yield good results. Even if facts are on your side.
It’s been said to be INTP or INTJ under socionics. INTJ may have the potential to be less restrained in voicing things. As an INTP, whenever wrong info is taken wrong, it sets off some internal BS alarm in me. I don’t always say it out because sometimes it’s awkward and I have inferior Fe I blame it on. So you’re wrong.

ENFPs on the other hand, can just look at someone, and gauge how they might feel (aux Fi). That makes it easier for them to steal how others might feel or what ideas they have, then say it, usually presenting it as their own work, but they have to absorb it from someone else first. It’s all “inspiration” with them.

The point is, it’s different, mostly when INTPs do it. When ISFP or EXFP and just random people beat their pedantry like a dead horse is when something seems off.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
I think it’s a trend started by the bing bang theory
Gosh, and that was one of the better shows; Also, people just “do the opposite”, in hopes they can “see what’s missing” as if that makes them more “woke” or “spiritually conscious” in that moment than anyone else.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
What’s the best or most common way people try to find out if you read a book or watched a movie by not asking you directly?

I think they just assume you didn’t, until you literally say you did. They have to see it to believe it.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
It’s said that being pedantic is an INTP trait, as well as thinking in their head.

Other types usually aren’t pedantic, unless they use Ti and just want to be seen as that, particularly.

Then it becomes a matter of saying something so they can hear it and be certain, to relate that way, instead of being able to not need something said as a facade for “socialization”.

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
Today 6:58 PM
-->
When I was younger around 6 to 12 I had the urge to correct everyone around me, but ultimately I realized people dont really care about the facts much. I realized that I am getting on their nerves and they dont care about the facts they just care about the seemingly rude way I was saying it. It didnt not occure to me that people were pissed at me for correcting them. I on the other hand didnt mind being corrected, but I also had to argue everytime I thought we disagreed. Overtime I just learned that most people dont give shit. Not only that, but if you act like you dont give a shit people are even more likely to agree with you later on. Its kind of weird, but I saw it happen so many times over I take it as a social law by now.

But come on people what does it take to get into a heated argument with someone on this forum? I mean I am bored over here? XD

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 12:58 PM
-->
I think it’s a trend started by the bing bang theory

I got a good laugh out of this.

Just wanted to add... Are we being pedantic about being pedantic?

Volstar

home is where your heart is
Local time
-->
I guess all of you have learnt that you cannot go much deeper into the deep stuff. So now u gotta talk like the weather and carrots and hygiene and this is the reason forum is not very active.

Volstar

home is where your heart is
Local time
-->
u reading please take a shower

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
I guess all of you have learnt that you cannot go much deeper into the deep stuff. So now u gotta talk like the weather and carrots and hygiene and this is the reason forum is not very active.
So it’s a rabbit hole? If life is truly about breathing air, at what point do you just say your social media log in information or give someone your passwords to everything?

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
-->
Does anyone know if there’s a difference between anonymous messages and essays for school or publication? That basically means or suggests you have to make no typos at all or always spell someone’s name right.

Top Bottom