• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Bill Gates: INTP

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 6:47 AM
-->
his goal was to collect money from every personal computer sale, regardless the computer is running his software or not, and gain as much market share as possible, by squeezing his direct competitors and rival products dry out of cash.

the strategy was to force every computer to run his software, but people don't do things for free in the business world. As the joker said, if you are good at something, never do it for free. He was very faimilar with the economics of the computer industry. Hardware was becomming less and less profitable as there are more entrants in the industry.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 2:47 AM
-->
his goal was to collect money from every personal computer sale, regardless the computer is running his software or not, and gain as much market share as possible, by squeezing his direct competitors and rival products dry out of cash.

the strategy was to force every computer to run his software, but people don't do things for free in the business world. As the joker said, if you are good at something, never do it for free. He was very faimilar with the economics of the computer industry. Hardware was becomming less and less profitable as there are more entrants in the industry.

...Still kinda pisses me off about the whole Netscape thing.

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
-->
Bill Gates talking about innovation

Dont see any ENTJ traits here......
Interesting clip.

Interviewer: "Eradicate Polio"

Bill Gates: "By 2018." (Definite. Certain. Got a solid goal in mind. Absolutely certain he'll achieve it. VERY strong J.)

Gives time estimates on when they will be achieved. Talks several years into the future.

Talks about when the tools will be developed to achieve his goals. But he's not developing the tools. He's relying on others to do the work. Not hands-on. Extrovert.

Using his money to invest to carry out his projects. Strong Te.

Insists on strict accounting. Strong Te.

When it comes to solutions, brings in people to do the job. Very ExxJ.

Aim: To eradicate disease. A massively comprehensive task, something that no-one has managed before. Probably not even feasible in his lifetime. He's planned to get it all done by 2050. Massive N. Massive J. Very practical results. Very strong Te.

Wants a new type of toilet. Pays for a competition for others to solve it.

He's a really avid reader and watcher of videos on science. Also planning to develop a nuclear reactor to use depleted uranium. So I can see the INTP-ness.

Describes himself as an "impatient optimist". His wife, Melinda, says that this was accurate about him when they met, over 20 years ago.

She said that when they met, what she liked about him, was that he was very curious (strong N), an optimist, that you could change things, that with Microsoft, he was "changing the world" (classic difference between Js and Ps. Js want to change the world to their goals. Ps want to adapt themselves to the world.)

Reads a book about fertiliser. Says that it's because it's very interesting, because "people would have to die if we didn't have fertiliser". (Te)

Was driven by a fanatic and relentless determination.

I really think that even this video shows very strong ENTJ.

He's not a "party animal" extrovert. He's a very driven person, who interacts with others, in his work, a "businessman" extrovert.

He's friends with Warren Buffett. Gates' dad prodded him to start giving his money away.

I'm a little less sure. But I do see a LOT of J-ness here, and the kind of constant delegation that would make more sense to me, to be with an ENTJ over an INTJ.

CT-

Redshirt
Local time
-->
A lot of discussion about us here :-)

I encourage anyone who wants a discussion to gather their thoughts on *one* person and then email their case to us at admins |a| celebritytypes.com

When you just have a few scattered reservations of a dozen different people that won't further the discussion or make anyone but the people that already agree with you see the light. In a sense, and without any ulterior comparison, it the same method used by conspiracy theorists; if they zap around a dozen different topics (9/11, chemtrains, flouride, central banks) naming a few disentangled facts for each heading they can end up convincing themselves that everything you learned in school was wrong.

On the topic of disentangled facts, it the reason we note on our website that Bill Gates ran his foundation like a business was a *direct response* to a very popular video which argued that Bill Gates was an INTP because he stepped down from MS "in order to invent stuff." The argument is erroneous either way, but what we note on the site is that even on its own erroneous premises, the argument still fails.

Anyway, as I said, anyone who follows the same methodology as was laid down in the writings of Jung, van der Hoop, von Franz, and Myers should by all means make their case and send it to us. Even if we don't agree we sometimes publish (good) counterarguments on the site.

See you all around,
CT

pernoctator

a bearded robocop
Local time
Today 3:47 AM
-->
So, what exactly is the critical new information that gives us that clarifies things?

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
ask him on reddit. Its the only way. (dr. obvious)

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
Yesterday 11:47 PM
-->
He was on Jimmy Fallon not too long ago, if one would be able to tell type from interview.

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->

Idunno

Local time
-->
PersonalityJunkie pins Gates as an INTP, though most sites put him at INTJ. Which is what I did unconsciously, anybody who built Microsoft has to be an INTJ, right? After some study I'm convinced he is an INTP.

If you haven't seen it watch this, it's instructive not just to see Bill and Steve but the conversation is worth hearing for it's own sake.

D5 Conference

What is instructive is to compare Steve against Bill. Gates is either an INTJ, INTP, ESTP or even possibly ISTP, however let's do a reading

• Gates slouches and is quite relaxed. Jobs is upright and uptight. You can compare to pictures of Gates when he was younger and he hasn't changed much, he's always had a "Ne" style INTP demeanor which is pleasant, relaxed and goofy (+1). Steves demeanor is indicative of an IJ. He keeps to himself tightly and you can see the aversion to displays of energy (low extroversion). From body language alone, assuming Jobs is an NT (which I think is likely for other reasons) I'd say Jobs was an INTJ.
  • You can see that when Gates is thinking of what to say, he looks off into the distance, up and to the right most often (10:18 for one of many examples). Steve looks directly ahead with a laser like view. Looking off in the distance like this is an example of Ne as PL found (+1)
  • Gates describes his brain as "like a computer, like software" later in the program. He's a software engineer through and through, if you read his bio you see somebody who has been obsessed with computers his entire life. (+1)
  • He used to be quite deviant (many examples +1)
  • He said he delayed getting married basically because he was having too much fun with his software work (+1)
  • His summer reading list includes a book on shipping containers because he wanted to fill out his knowledge of the Panama Canal and the wold wide container business (interested in how odd systems work) (+1)

Enough for now.

Watched part of the video I think jobs is more ntp and gates intj...
Jobs and apple is known more for innovative ideas
Gates and Microsoft perfected the software and os industry through perfect business tactics and expansion through the concept of software(word excel os)

Jobs dresses like a p he does sit upright but to show politeness (Fe)
Gates dresses like a j I think he sits like he doesn't give a fuck.
I think gates is more driven on making money and winning compared to jobs.. J vs p.
Jobs showed more facial expression and talked more in the interview because he found more interest/cared more than gates who's slouching like ok let's do this.

Jobs looked like he was always thinking during the interview Ti while gates Te brings up new things to say for each question this this and this

Both are computer people both are T's both are going to be logical and "think like a computer"

Jobs likes to elaborate his ideas but be clear when sending his message
Gates seems like he already knows what he's going to say but is thinking more about how he wants to get the message across.

You can't type someone by knowing they learned about crates or delaying their marriage the evidence is just too minuscule like the rest of these arguments... Including mine

Let me know what you think though

computerhxr

Village Idiot
Local time
Yesterday 11:47 PM
-->
I agree. I think that Bill Gates is an INTP. True passion is more powerful than nature. Outwardly his appearance does seem to be ENTJ or some other possibility.

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
-->
Watched part of the video I think jobs is more ntp and gates intj...
Jobs and apple is known more for innovative ideas
Gates and Microsoft perfected the software and os industry through perfect business tactics and expansion through the concept of software(word excel os)

Jobs dresses like a p he does sit upright but to show politeness (Fe)
Gates dresses like a j I think he sits like he doesn't give a fuck.
I think gates is more driven on making money and winning compared to jobs.. J vs p.
Jobs showed more facial expression and talked more in the interview because he found more interest/cared more than gates who's slouching like ok let's do this.

Jobs looked like he was always thinking during the interview Ti while gates Te brings up new things to say for each question this this and this

Both are computer people both are T's both are going to be logical and "think like a computer"

Jobs likes to elaborate his ideas but be clear when sending his message
Gates seems like he already knows what he's going to say but is thinking more about how he wants to get the message across.

You can't type someone by knowing they learned about crates or delaying their marriage the evidence is just too minuscule like the rest of these arguments... Including mine

Let me know what you think though
One of the interesting things about Jobs v Gates, is the progression of their interests, i.e. Apple vs Microsoft. Programmers generally have a strong dislike of Microsoft. A lot of it is because a lot of Microsoft's ideas seem to have major faults in their design, were often copies of ideas that were already there in freeware, and their policies towards competitors involved what many people considered underhand tactics, which led to Microsoft being taken to task for anti-trust issues and attempts to monopolise the IT industry by the US Justice department. TBH, you can find most of their ideas up to 2000 in other people's software. DOS was a rip-off of CP/M. Office was based on stuff that Gates saw others do in the computer club that he belonged to as a teen. The very idea of Windows was acknowledged to be a rip-off of Apple in a major court case.

But, in terms of marketing, he's second-to-none. He was able to build a multi-billion dollar IT business from scratch, that now controls the IT market. 80% of PCs were/are Windows. Developers go for Visual Studio, because they want their products to be compatible with the majority of their customers. He's managed to do all that, and without being all that original in his products, by making his products very easy to use by morons, and by making them cheaper than their competitors.

He's a very canny businessman. He probably enjoys doing the odd bit of programming. But he's no Woz. He's certaintly got none of the typical flaws of INTPs, and the flaws he does have, are more typical of an ENTJ/ESTJ.

So if I was a betting man, I'd bet that if was an INTP, then INTPs are business people, and some other type has to be the unambitious programmer who lives to make clever things that no-one else has thought of yet, which probably means that almost every INTP here is not an INTP.

As far as Jobs goes, I've heard ENTP, ENFP, and ISTP, to just name a few. Not sure really which. I only know that he's very engaging with his audience, and that he knows style and what appeals aesthetically, as evidenced by his products, and that he knows when he's found a genius programmer, and lets them dictate what the code should be like, which is why so many programmers loved Apple's stuff.

KISS
Local time
-->
I don't understand why Bill Gates is not a INTP. It's easy to spot for me.

And Steve Jobs though is a tougher one. He is actually INTP too. If you meet many INTJ in real life, you can easily spot them by their "weird" genius trait.

guygroomes85

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Bill Gates is not an intp. He's an entj. Im an entj, and my mind at times works like an intp reversed. My brother in law whos one of my closer relatives in my immediate family is an intp. And his extroverted self resembles my introverted self. He's more inclined to actually show up at family functions and act sorta funny and goofy.

Where as im more stone and goal oriented. But on the inside im just like he is expressing wanna run around kicking shit over while wearing a pasta strainer on my head. And i believe that he is like me on the inside, all analytical and planful and strategizing. More often than not, and i've known quite a few intp's, which i don't like to pigeon hole to just that type because the ones i've known tend to use "seeing" infrequently as well as intuition, they tend to be more light hearted socially and flexible. Perhaps acting goofy and or joking around, lightening the mood such and such.

I don't see bill gates in that way. I see him as more calculating socially, goal oriented, which are entj traits. I had the opportunity to read Hard drive, which while rather short was quite a good indicator. Bill gates drove 90 miles an hr everywhere, worked more hours in 5 years then many will over the course of 15 years. Fell asleep in his office after staying up all night. Pulled an all nighter on a plane ride, then went to a meeting with IBM and forgot a tie, then went to the meeting and delivered a presentation. Hahahaha. I'm not saying an intp is incapable of that sort of work ethic, but i don't believe that fits their ethos. They handle things a bit differently. Paul Allen wasn't even at that meeting. He is a characteristic example of an intp if i have ever seen one. Go watch a paul allen interview. Now ask yourself wether Bill gates plus paul allen would have been such a productive relationship if they had both been intp. I doubt that

Paul allen was an INTP, and Gates was an ENTJ and currently is. Wether or not he thinks internally or has developed beyond his "TYPE box" his preferred style of interacting with the world is ENTJ. I use principles, i developed my internal thinking and my internal feeling. Does that meen im an INTP no. The way i prefer to come at the world is who i am. And somewhere else i read ENTJ's are jocks, No no im afraid your wrong. We're nerds. Buisness oriented goal oriented nerds. Interested in learning and stimulating other people to those ends

I would peg it like this Bill gates-ENTJ, Paul Allen- INTP, Steve jobs-ENTP
Steve jobs was smart, extremely smart. Although his real strength was in
his coolness and aesthetics like bill gates said. He had an eye for looks. He wasn't an architect like Paul Allen. Bill Gates was into architecture but spent more time handling the buisness side. He was the extremely excellent although a bit tight fisted manager. Paul allen was the visionary genius architect intp. If you look at certain interviews with Paul Allen he says he was always the one reading up and forecasting trends and then he would come to bill gates with all these ideas and Bill would hear and analyze them and then pop holes in them until the very best were left.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Today 12:47 AM
-->
What I love about ENTJ's and INTJ's is how self confident they are, especially when they're entirely wrong.

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
-->
Steve Jobs was horribly manipulative, charismatic, and ruthless. I'd say he was ENTJ more than any of them. Paul Allen is equally unscrupulous, but more probably an INTJ. If Bill Gates is an INTP, he's a very odd one. I'm just going to throw this out there: INFJ.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->
Steve Jobs was horribly manipulative, charismatic, and ruthless. I'd say he was ENTJ more than any of them. Paul Allen is equally unscrupulous, but more probably an INTJ. If Bill Gates is an INTP, he's a very odd one. I'm just going to throw this out there: INFJ.

Not a chance. But if you study the young Gates the INTP is obvious. The later one was changed by having founded Microsoft.

Allen seems to have been the organizational force behind the company, something he continues post Microsoft. Whereas Fe inferior Gates is giving it all away. And of course Se Ballmer ran the details too. I know less about Allen but some kind of IST probably.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->
Yeah it's pretty clear if you study him. Jobs looks like an ENTP, who can either be tweakers or super nice, or both. Woz is probably some kind of ST. People say the Google guys are INTPs but I've spent time with Sergey, he's an ISTP. He spends all his time exercising. Larry is probably an INTP.

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->

yes i decided to revive this topic

Tenacity

More than methods to the madness
Local time
-->

THIS. YES.

It comes out Sept. 20th - I would it would come sooner. I wish it was out right now.

Tenacity

More than methods to the madness
Local time
-->

By the way, thanks for sharing this. This made my weekend. I actually shouldn't have posted that new thread today on Bill Gates / typing him, but I couldn't contain my excitement or thoughts, so, oh well.

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
-->

Kormak

The IT barbarian - eNTP - 6w7-4-8 so/sx
Local time
Today 8:47 AM
-->
e_e ppl who are good at business are Te doms or Te aux, includes Steve Jobs and Bill as well. This infatuation with Bill in the INTP community is because he is your shadow :P your ideal... I like ENTJs as well. Everything I wish I were.

“He is on time to the minute, every single meeting without fail. Time is the one commodity that he can’t buy more of. It’s a limited resource. It’s finite. He’s got the same 24 hours in a day that the rest of us have.” — Lauren Jiloty, Gates Ventures.

“A key advantage I had was being fanatical, that is taking all my capabilities day and night and just focusing on, ‘OK, how do I write good software? I didn’t believe in weekends. I didn’t believe in vacation.” — Bill Gates

ENTJs are constantly searching for and involving themselves in practical projects and other avenues of applying their knowledge, and are typically comfortable with asserting their knowledge, correcting factual inaccuracies of others, and generally offering information that can be applied to productive purposes. They generally are highly pragmatic, assiduous, and proactive individuals. They often feel uncomfortable and restless if they are not able to pursue their own productive ventures and goals. They are often adopt highly active schedules and lifestyles, and may tend to find themselves busy most of the time. ENTJs are predominantly future-oriented in their thinking. They tend towards considering the consequences, implications, and long-term strategies of their actions, paying less attention to the immediate details of actually carrying out their ideas. In this way, they are often better at big-picture thinking; often they take the role of innovator or consultant, leaving others to manage lower-level details. They commonly and stereotypically possess an entrepreneurial spirit and seek to advance their own vision of some paradigmatic innovation or improvement.
ENTJs tend not to pay much attention to their physical environment or immediate surroundings. They usually have little to no interest in the aesthetics of their environment. They may neglect matters of organization, cleaning, or other tasks related to the maintenance of their physical environment. They often do not pay much attention to their physical well-being, considering the care of their bodies mostly as a nuisance, and may fall into a lifestyle of pushing and overworking themselves. They also may not be very aware of the need to relax or refresh themselves, and may engage in minimal leisure time. They may become listless and bored with simply relaxing, preferring instead to do something productive or informative in their spare time. <= in terms of physical chaos and ENTJ is similar to INTP.

Ti types believe that there is something in our mind, the empiricists , the Te types, believe all comes from outside through our life. And this split comes because those two types percieve reality diferently.

A Ti dom simply is more like a philosopher. Bill is either ENTJ or INTJ.

“Bill and I were yin and yang. There was a stylistic difference in terms of intensity.” — Paul Allen

Paul Allen the INTP simply lacks Bill's intense drive to accomplish shit. Your typical INTP will not be able to maintain the ENTJ shadow mode over the long haul.

INTPs are lazy af. Rather than water plants, I'll design an automated irrigation system once and have someone else build & maintain it for me.

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
-->
Gates's hyperaggressive management style and high expectations of his employees , or this so called Te seem to stem from his fear of failure and anxiety. After all , the pace of technology is changing very fast, and the technological landscape is shifting rapidly, and if your business can't adapt to these changes , your product will become obsolete very fast and new competitors will destroy you and dominate the market. I am an INTP and if I were gates, I would probably have the same management style as he is, after aIl I am burning loads of money everyday paying my workers and engineers, and there is high degree of uncertainty whether the products created by those workers can make a profit or not.and compensate for the loss There is a very likely hood that the company will run out of cash if the product is not successful enough. Every startup was in a razorsharp position given the intense competition in that era. Ti in its most stressful form becomes Te. What I said was especially true in the starting stages of the company before it reaches maturity.

quote from gates "In this business, by the time you realize you're in trouble, it's too late to save yourself. Unless you're running scared all the time, you're gone."
sushi, what you misunderstand is this:

Paul Allen the INTP...INTPs are lazy af. Rather than water plants, I'll design an automated irrigation system once and have someone else build & maintain it for me.
Paul Allen did that. He designed the software. He got someone else to build and maintain the business for him, and be the face of the business, while he made, quite literally, BILLIONS (was worth $20.3 billion at the time of his death) doing something he enjoyed without stress. The name of the guy he got to do the work for him? Bill Gates.

Kormak

Local time
-->
scorpiomover

Lets be INTPs here, deatroyers of BS as they say and crush this silly dream that Bill is INTP. The proofs :chicken: that Gates is a Te dom and Allen a Ti dom:

Daddy

Making the Frogs Gay
Local time
-->
Jesus, he got a documentary called "Inside Bills Brain". Sorry, but that's pretty big narcissism; I don't care how smart this guy really is. Can't he find better use of his time?

Kormak

Local time
-->
Jesus, he got a documentary called "Inside Bills Brain". Sorry, but that's pretty big narcissism; I don't care how smart this guy really is. Can't he find better use of his time?

By that time he could have installed Gentoo and solved all his windows related issues. Now Stallman and Gentoo are the real deal INTP !

Just read this shit lmao: https://stallman.org/rms-lifestyle.html

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
he is not an E

good luck trying to prove the opposite.

that rules out any E types.

Kormak

Local time
-->
he is not an E

INTJ then. He has a typical Ni preference and uses a lot of Te.

Kormak

Local time
-->

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
-->
INTPs arent lazy they just pick priorities differently from ENTJ and INTJs types.
INTPs go deeper. What bothers me here that a lot of stuff can be explaine very simply.
First of all he is very passionat or fanatical or whatever, and that happens to INTPs too.
The thing is most INTPs are lazy simply, because they work hard only if they think its worth it. Now this guy is not working for pennies. If he slacks off he is bleeding dollar like crazy. Not going to a meeting can mean he will lose millions. His scheduel is busy, because probably having a company that is making that much money needs a little attention.

Socks and Shoes

Redshirt
Local time
Today 1:47 AM
-->
ENTJ is more likely but he certainly has some eccentric and introverted tendencies

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
-->
he is not an E

Depends on how you define E types.

If you define E types as party animals, then Gates doesn't qualify. Neither do most ESTJs and ENTJs. ENTJs in particular tend to dislike socialising unless it's for networking purposes, meeting new clients, or other practical purposes.

ESTJs socialise more. But then they are Sensors, and Sensors tend to conform to social convention.

Only ExxPs seem to be party animal types or extremely sociable. Of these, ENTPs tend to not be that sociable if they have a book to read or a gadget to invent. So you're left with only ESTPs, ESFPs and ENFPs as extroverts.

If, however, you define Es as people who focus on the objective, and Is as people who focus on the subjective, then the introverts are the people who like to choose their own way in life, even if they would make more money and get more girls by conforming, and extroverts are everyone else.

I would put Gates in the latter category, since he took an unconventional path that achieved the goals that he wanted to achieve, and so his life choices seem to be objectively rational.

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
trying to kill off/disprove our INTP poster boy hero i see and turn him into something else, good luck.

Top Bottom