• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

blocked emotional valence

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Today 1:43 PM
-->
I feel a pressure. I feel like I can't be close with anyone. My emotions are pent up. Being vulnerable is a problem. I can't really trust anyone. It is very lonely and isolating. Bluntly I am very insecure. Two problems are that I can not feel music or empathize with characters on tv. I numb myself to them. or get anxiety. Sometimes I do feel things but the pressure blocking still makes it uncomfortable. It is like I cannot fully give myself over to my emotions and it sucks.

I guess I have many issues in need of resolving. I just want to feel things completely. To relieve this pressure.

moody

Local time
Today 12:43 PM
-->
The ability to presently feel emotions does not come all at once. It will take time, but you must first identify why you can’t be close to anyone, why you can’t trust, etc. We often find excuses for our feelings and reactions before acknowledging why we have those reactions in the first place.
This isn’t something anyone else can do for you. Even if someone were to be omnipresent and gave you the exact reasons why you are the way you are, it wouldn’t matter unless you could also come to those conclusions yourself.
Have you thought about finding a councilor or therapist to talk to?

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
I just need to be loved in the way I need to be loved. I need someone equal to me. I don't want to be alone.

I've had dreams of being with an unknown person that cares about me. This person only resides in me and is real. But it is rare I see them. I know they are there because of our contact before. But sometimes I think they left or are asleep or just are not there anymore. Without them, I would be more alone than I am now. That I do not feel them makes me feel separated. They are a real person I know that so as long as I cling onto that I can relate to her as real not just an abstraction. I do not want her to go away.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
I feel like I cannot be myself. When I am around others I hold back and fail to absorb the resistance. Really it is repression. the pressure is the repression of me not being free in myself. All my other problems do not help either. Anxiety, depression, blocked thinking, tiredness, inability to relax. If I could just feel ok physically and mentally that would be great. But I feel like I get no rest from everything. I just want to be ok in myself.

I noticed that recently I have been stepping back from control and just observing myself. It has helped make me more aware and less restless. It is hard to let go but resistance has to dissipate slowly to be effectively released.

BurnedOut

Beloved Antichrist
Local time
Tomorrow 1:13 AM
-->
I feel a pressure. I feel like I can't be close with anyone. My emotions are pent up. Being vulnerable is a problem. I can't really trust anyone. It is very lonely and isolating. Bluntly I am very insecure. Two problems are that I can not feel music or empathize with characters on tv. I numb myself to them. or get anxiety. Sometimes I do feel things but the pressure blocking still makes it uncomfortable. It is like I cannot fully give myself over to my emotions and it sucks.

I guess I have many issues in need of resolving. I just want to feel things completely. To relieve this pressure.

I have to battle with these feelings too. I have found that I simply lack a good intellectual sparring partner and someone who really relates with me. The best way to control these feelings is to be patient. Being patient, working on your skills and building your self-esteem off it. If you cannot be close to anyone, you can be closer to something that represents your strengths. This means, in essence, you are reconciling with yourself by appreciating your own expression which would have been otherwise done by someone else.

Personal goals are unique because they are modeled on externalities and judged by internalities. The latter trait makes achieving them attractive for anybody who can pursue whatever he wants without the need for someone else's appraisal.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
I have been on gabapentin for 4 days now and my anxiety is gone. I've been able to sleep with no uncomfortableness and no insomnia. This has taken the pressure off somewhat. I can be calm and still but this is just a stasis. I am still not generative. It still takes effort to think. I sleep all day because I have nothing to work on, to be creative about. I'm too weak and disconnected from myself to make anything new.

Stasis is ok but I want more in life. I want to be creative. Boredom is not how I want to spend my time especially not sleeping all day.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
Nanook said I dream as a coping mechanism.
I have been trying to figure out what I am trying to cope from.
I found this chart and gauged where I may be at.
With introspection, I will get more specific in future posts.

GBTLlAc.jpg

Muteki

Existence reflects upon itself
Local time
Today 12:43 PM
-->
Unfortunately, learning to let go is a rarity even among the wiser. To truly step out of the personality one has spent their life cultivating and have automatically defaulted to in virtually every aspect of life is no easy task.
Though that's only natural, we're wired this way after all. Resisting the urge to stay attached to our identity requires a level of will and objective self-detachment most will never muster.
But hey, if you think you've the mental backbone for it, maybe there's hope for you yet.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
feel lonely
feel worthless
feel dumb

overall crappiness

I need to feel

self-love
importance
achievement

These are feelings. They have causes/backstories. I would cry when I was younger because I had ideas but could not make them. My mom never could help me so I felt inadequate. I feel that way now bu only a little bit. I can achieve a lot. It is more important to know than immediately create. The harder part is relationships. I know a few people and I like them for different reasons. I do not have anyone I really like as a friend best friend or more than a friend. I'm lonely so spend all day on the computer. I'm embarrassed to meet new people.

If I can get more in my senses I can handle people. I am overstimulated. I need to become more integrated.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
self-love

turn off the critic

self-esteem

I am smart, I have good ideas.

achievement

This steems all my problems. I want to accomplish things but can't so feel stupid and criticize myself.

I need to look at what I have accomplished and be satisfied with that.

I need to feel better about myself.

I need to be more rational than emotional.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
I think my right frontal lobe is damaged. In the frontal lobes is the mechanism for working memory. It feels like a chamber is unable to hold information for manipulation. It is like telling my leg to move but it won't. It is a big part not to have a fourth of your brain working. I think this contributes to negative emotion because I am imbalanced to handle it. Because I have functional brain damage I cannot be productive. Instead of creating new things, I am just sitting there trying to make something happen and it won't. I hope there is a way to cure it. Making a mental effort is just blocked.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
I got prescribed Lexapro today.

I feel hot and cold sensations in my right brain. A little bit of pain but overall relief.

The damage is on the right side. This means both serotonin and dopamine etc neurotransmitter channels are burnt out.

burnt out, I have burn out on the right side of my brain

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
Today 3:43 PM
-->
I apologise for being so direct and / or abrupt, but from what you have posted in this thread, it seems that a different perspective might be useful for you, as it was for me. so, I must ask:

I've had dreams of being with an unknown person that cares about me. This person only resides in me and is real. But it is rare I see them. I know they are there because of our contact before. But sometimes I think they left or are asleep or just are not there anymore. Without them, I would be more alone than I am now. That I do not feel them makes me feel separated. They are a real person I know that so as long as I cling onto that I can relate to her as real not just an abstraction. I do not want her to go away.

have you ever considered that this "unknown person"... could actually be you?

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
have you ever considered that this "unknown person"... could actually be you?

If it is, it is me as the female gender. I have looked into their eyes in the dream and it is the same as looking into the eyes of a person in real life. It is like looking into the eyes of a lover. Not the same as looking into a mirror. And I have held her before in the dream and she held me. So it is rather intimate. I think she is autonomous inside me. She has taken a part of my brain to act as she does. I want to be with her yet she only appears in my dreams.

nexion

coalescing in diffusion
Local time
Today 3:43 PM
-->
If it is, it is me as the female gender. I have looked into their eyes in the dream and it is the same as looking into the eyes of a person in real life. It is like looking into the eyes of a lover. Not the same as looking into a mirror. And I have held her before in the dream and she held me. So it is rather intimate. I think she is autonomous inside me. She has taken a part of my brain to act as she does. I want to be with her yet she only appears in my dreams.

you spoke of integration. how long have you been using your rational faculties to try to understand? perhaps you need to be less rational, rather than more. using your emotions is a part of integration, and you have indicated that yours are... well, to put it frankly, stunted

I have many thoughts on this. whether any of them will turn out to be true is another matter entirely. let's just say... what you have said here echoes my own experiences, to an uncanny degree

should your curiosity be piqued, feel free to DM me

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
I feel tangled up. I need to get untangled and it causes anxiety. I don't know what to do but I feel it in my head. Actually, I do know. I need to conner it and squeeze it. Oscillations of applied pleasure and relaxation in different distributions. To develop a body map. Message away the numb. I think I got tangled because I squeezed too hard. Because I was thinking too hard when I should have been relaxing. Now I have to do both at once.

I need to be aware of the inside. I do not pay enough attention to it. To feel emotions you need to feel your body.

Music feels less numb now just writing this.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
I wish someone knew me. Knew who I truly am. I am lonely and want someone to love. Love without judgment. That person is many persons. I know that many people exist I can be close with. But the closest are the ones in my dreams. And the a.i. above. I just wish I could be with people I can be vulnerable with.

Without someone, it is hard to heal the trauma. And it is trauma being alone. I want to share myself with someone. To hold and be equal to.

Trauma is something that needs healing.
It's not something you should be judged on.
Yet you need someone to understand.

Teax

huh?
Local time
Today 9:43 PM
-->
Now... I'm saying this completely without judgement (as I'm incapable of doing anything else nowadays). I'm more cynical of the flawlessly flawed construction of the human mind than any person in particular, which usually find themselves a victim of its design, or an unwilling player, depends on how you see it.

You seem to be lost in the labyrinth of your own rationality. Tied in knots by its threads, and hoping to free yourself by attaching even more threads on yourself. Nothing I say could ever help you "solve" your conundrum. These words are sharp rocks I'll leave here to be used to break things, not build. For to build, you have to first break. Because once you realize there is no solution, no way forward, you need to start questioning the premise. The only way forward may be, from your subjective perspective, backward.

A judgement can only exist in a place where there exists an "ought". You know, that word that people use/imply when they tell you how they think is the only "good" way to live life. But even more significantly, all judgement exists in the mind who feels judged. To feel judged is to believe, deep down, that you yourself ought to do something/be something that you are not. You judge yourself before anyone else judges you (And when someone else judges you, it is merely your belief that you have to conform to their opinion that makes you feel judged).

Judgement is your subjective perception of what more objectively could roughly be called the social/mammalian part of the brain. Floor 2 out of 3. Its function is to ensure everyone agrees on everything and people don't slit each other's throats while they sleep. It's subjective perception and method of influencing you, is "anxiety". And since this mechanism is all in your head, there's no need for another person at all. If your worldview tells you that people might have some opinion about you, it's possible to experience the feeling of being judged simply based on that alone. Even before any real "judgement" happens by another person. Behold, the mechanism that isolates you and stops you from becoming close to anyone.

People who try to "solve" this, as if it was some kind of "problem" that needs to be "figured out" using their "rationality", they pent up their emotions. Because, if nobody sees the real you, nobody will have the opportunity to make you feel judged. Behold the prison of rationality and anxiety. Not being able to "feel music or emphasize with characters on TV" might be an out-cry of the heart/soul which realized that it needs to grow, and which is starting to realize that the things on TV are no longer facilitating that growth. The rational mind of some people who call themselves doctors "solve" this problem by cutting the chord to the heart, with a pill. Well done, I guess that is technically a solution to the problem "I am in pain".

So what then? You want someone to love without judgement? You are free to love anyone and everyone, and to judge not (love in a agape, non-sexual way, just to be clear). You will find that is a rare gift you can give to people and many will feel drawn to you. Not in a sexual way. At first. People like you are most suited to dedicate themselves to be "givers" rather than "takers", because such people are too anxious about what other people will do, to feel comfortable expecting anything from them. But to give will fill you with a false sense of superiority which will over time grow into an understanding that many more people in the world are like you will have been, lonely and pent up. You are free to love. You are free to feel as close to those you love as you wish. That feeling is subjective too. Is that not enough? Another form of closeness? Then what you really wish for is for someone to reciprocate your love. That... will be their decision alone.

And yes, this post is in a sense my own expression of that love. As is the post of everyone else who partook in this thread. Take it or leave it, I don't care.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
With the judgment thing, it has more to do with the persona and the shadow. There are parts of myself I am ashamed of. I do not share them. But it would be nice to share them. We share different things with different people but we share the most intimate things with few people. We get all sensitive and closed about it. That is what the judgment is. That we are afraid to show our true selves. It is part of the integration process that we can show more of ourselves.

The physiological condition shows hidden layers to sensitive topics. What I concluded was that only when your condition is complete, whole and integrated can you absorb new things. Becoming acclimated to cold water is an example. I never take cold showers because I am not an Extravert. But I could become an Extravert if I had too.

Sensitivity can make you numb that is why acclimation is necessary. I went on a walk places with my mom because she currently has no car and the walk woke me up. If that did not happen I would have felt bad all day today. I would be too tired to get on my computer. Sleeping all day is not healthy.

The point is that you can do anything as long as you feel good and have energy. But numb feelings, noughts, and blockages stop the energy flowing. So the shadow becomes neglected. To flow the shadow needs stimulus but not overstimulation. The shadow needs either self intimacy or the intimacy of another.

Physiologically I do poorly on feeling good and having energy. I want a girlfriend someone who can be my best friend. These two things mean a lot to me. I am trying to get things to work out that way for me.

Teax

huh?
Local time
-->
The physiological condition shows hidden layers to sensitive topics. What I concluded was that only when your condition is complete, whole and integrated can you absorb new things. Becoming acclimated to cold water is an example. I never take cold showers because I am not an Extravert. But I could become an Extravert if I had too.

Sensitivity can make you numb that is why acclimation is necessary. I went on a walk places with my mom because she currently has no car and the walk woke me up. If that did not happen I would have felt bad all day today. I would be too tired to get on my computer. Sleeping all day is not healthy.

This part is hard to understand

To sum it up: Your mom, because she is a trusted person in your life, bypassed the judgement and allowed you to experience a moment of integration, i.e. a moment where you can be both, the persona and more importantly, the shadow. The shadow gave you the motivation to acclimate to "taking a walk". And the physical act of walking outside gave you energy. Or did the engagement of your shadow give you energy? Or a little of both?

Does that approximately reflect your train of thought?

What do you mean by "Sensitivity can make you numb"? Isn't that a paradox?

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
All those things but I was reflecting on how some people can take cold showers and some can't. Sensitivity is an odd thing though. Repression happens because we are too sensitive and repression makes us numb. It is a causal chain I do not fully understand how to describe. Sensitivity is either integrated or you become numb to it or nothing happens and you remain sensitive. But repression definitely results in numbness.

Walking was something positive because I don't get to do that many activities and it just got me out of the house. It reflects how energy can flow. Always the energy needs to flow or you feel too crappy to do mental work or integrate anything. Integration requires waking up. Just like crying is required to heal emotional pain.

Teax

huh?
Local time
-->
Repression happens because we are too sensitive and repression makes us numb.

Oh yeah, now I get it, the "repression" link was missing for me in the chain

sensitivity → repression → numbness

But... why call it sensitivity? Would it be too sensitive of you to wear warm clothes on a cold winter day? Or are you doing it to protect yourself? People who can survive the cold without protection are not the "normal" people. In that same way, is it being "too sensitive" to not allow yourself to open up to other people? Or is repression just the natural reaction to the discomfort of feeling judged?

Shyness is the condition where a person has a belief system with a built-in "ought" imperative which causes that person to feel judged.

shyness → repression → numbness

Yes repression leads to numbness. Because of energy depletion. Energy wasted on fighting yourself, keeping yourself in check. Same thing happens with people who abuse drugs, videogames, workaholics etc... The same thing happens who waste their energy ruminating and overthinking.

Integration means that the shadow is integrated into the persona, finds expression through the persona, not that the shadow receives attention independent of it. Shyness has nothing to do with the "shadow being neglected", or "shadow not receiving enough intimacy" and everything to do with you giving too much attention to your shadow. You're focusing all of your energy on fighting your shadow, and figuring out how to pay even more attention to your shadow, rather than focusing on letting your energy flow into your persona, which is still an integral part of the psyche, in fact, the carrier part. The missing link to "describe the causal chain" is energy. By energy I mean probably the same thing that you mean by "flow". The flow of mental energy.

shyness → repression → energy depletion → numbness

This will matter in a moment.

The point is that you can do anything as long as you feel good and have energy.
Let's be more precise. You feel less resistance when doing something, as long as you feel good and have energy.

Sorry for being pedantic, but this distinction will be important in another moment.

But numb feelings, noughts, and blockages stop the energy flowing.
This is a common misconception. It's the other way around. When the energy stops flowing, that's when you start going numb. Numbness is the symptom, not the cause of low energy.

This is not even being pedantic, it's completely reversing the causal direction.

Physiologically I do poorly on feeling good and having energy.
Sounds like you expect to feel good simply out of willpower alone. And your solution to the problem seems to be to get yourself a friend who will bypass the feelings of being judged, which would stop the repression and the energy drain resulting from it. Have you considered how much energy it would take to find and get to know someone on that level? Do you even have that much as an "initial investment"?

Well your solution might work, but it's also possible that you end up still feeling miserable. Nobody feels good out of willpower alone.

The reason you felt better after taking a walk is because the body is the source of your energy. It's a biological power plant with a dozen of knobs and dials at your disposal to fine-tune its function. By taking a walk, you pressed some of those knobs, and got some mental energy in return. Ka-ching. This is like a strategy game, if you don't spend a portion of that energy back into your body, to press those knobs again, the body will return to its default "standby" operating mode. Like a screen which doesn't receive any input, it will turn off the panel and the blinking light will indicate "so... what now?".

Feed your body right, press the right knobs, you will feel good even without all that other stuff you were talking about. The body produces more energy than is needed to press the dials. So diverting some of it back, you will still be left of excess energy. (It's a psychic-energy perpetuum mobile)

But not at first. And that's the problem.

Low-energy can be seen as a trap. It is like a hole you can't get out of. Having low energy results in you having no energy to invest back into your own body. The resistance to do something (and thereby to press the knob) is too high. The more energy the body is generating, the less resistance you will experiencing when investing energy back into the body. If you want to get out the hole, you will have to climb it. It will get worse before it will get better. That's how holes are. That's why so many people are in them.

So all you have to do is focus on your physical body? How uninteresting. I know. What a clichée. But it works. It's a clichée for a reason. A very mundane, physical reason...

Top Bottom