• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

"Body Posture Depends on Teeth"

r4ch3l

conc/ptu/||/
Local time
Yesterday 10:27 PM
-->
I want INTP thoughts on this article/idea: http://starecta.com/body-posture-depends-teeth/

I can't believe that something so obvious has gone mostly unnoticed but the lever theory makes sense. It's now my opinion that most mental disorders are effects stemming from this one cause.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 4:27 PM
-->
Definitely very interesting. It does make a lot of sense, since people who mouth-breathe a lot are also prone to various dental issues that are proven to affect head positioning and by extension, posture.

http://www.fasttraxortho.com/Mouthbreathing.pdf

Although in this specific case I do wonder if postural issues like lordosis can lead to poor neck/head position, whereby dental issues arise and further exacerbate the problem or vice-versa.

I do know that the overwhelming majority of cases of back pain or poor posture are typically accompanied by poor hip and hamstring flexibility, weak core muscles and generally inefficient muscle function in general. All those things are generally related to living a sedentary lifestyle. There's a question of whether or not the muscular atrophy leads to the back problem, or the back problem leads to the atrophy.

In any case I think that in all likelihood it's a combination of a lot of these things, but the orthodontic component is probably the least commonly understood and addressed. Pilates, planking, Swiss balls and all sorts of programs for getting stronger and healthier through core workouts are all over the place now. Not so much in the way of advertising ways to improve your fitness through orthodontic means.

JimJambones

sPaCe CaDeT
Local time
Today 1:27 AM
-->
The theory of everything, apparently.

I can't help but be highly skeptical.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 5:27 AM
-->
Nice find. It's deceptive to attribute so many defects and problems to a misalignment of teeth, there is a number of possible components: congenital factors, limb length inequality, tumors, etc.

It's very likely that even small defects disrupting the symmetry on the either side of the body play a role in progressing muscle atrophy, weakening of tissue and displacement of the spine itself, mainly in the constantly growing pre-adolescent bodies, that are most malleable and it's during that time when most defects of such kind appear and remain for the rest of adult's life.
Analogously, improper weight handling at a young age, or regular carrying of a significant weight on one side of the body can also be an imparting element to the posture disorders.

I can see even minute disproportions (or habits) on either of the bodily (partial/total) axes to be contributing to a problem.

On the whole the site has a "self-help" "fits all solution" appearance.

Rook

enter text
Local time
Today 7:27 AM
-->
On the whole the site has a "self-help" "fits all solution" appearance.

I call elaborate scam network.

Perhaps just a simple scam run by one entity looking to gain from the insecurities of others, or even more complex, it's a "get rich quick" program where you pay someone to set up a self-help site of yer own, whereupon they churn out hundreds of sites like these for the paying customer.

Relatedly, though, teeth do play a key role in overall health.
I recall much folklore of people getting sicker while having rotten teeth, with their general health improving upon it's removal.

r4ch3l

conc/ptu/||/
Local time
-->
The website is definitely a lot of marketing hype and people trying to make a buck off something that they found that helped them. I've been observing people's progress with it on a closed forum and the real challenge that few have done yet is closing the process out at the end. As Blarraun said, even small defects disrupt the symmetry on the either side of the body. And so if at the end of increasing all this height you cannot create a balanced bite either through a very specific orthodontic technique they recommend (MEAW technique) or through dental implants/crowns, you're fucked again.

I've done a lot of stuff in the pursuit of symmetry and pain relief but none so powerful as this bite I made a few days ago. I didn't realize how much my muscles were constantly fighting just to hold my head up. However, the bite is a temporary thing for me... I believe a lot of these people are being kind of reckless with not having a plan for the end and so I'm jumping straight into the final part doing MEAW with #1 expert of the technique who just happens to be near me: http://cdn.intechopen.com/pdfs-wm/24345.pdf The goal of the increase in vertical height is the same but with the additional goal of balancing the bite at the same time.

r4ch3l

conc/ptu/||/
Local time
-->
A case that I believe is strong evidence for the theory is this guy, who is also the one that made me think about final stablization of the bite in a more serious and specific way: https://curedystonia.wordpress.com/

Dentists drilled down his teeth and immediately his bite slanted to the side and he began to suffer health problems in his body. Now he's using the splint with the artificial height but I am not sure what his final plan is... through his case we can see the direct correlation between teeth and posture, between teeth and dystonia.

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
Yesterday 11:27 PM
-->
I think the claims in this article *could* be true the way a slippery slope could be true. I have a hard time believing that the health and positioning of our connective tissues depends predominantly on our teeth.

Humans have so little temporalis and masseter [jaw] muscle compared to most mammals. Heck, our saggital crest is vestigial. If our jaw muscles were tasked with all of this extra work, wouldn't they be less, well, puny? I realize that as a species, we are still in the process of evolving to be bipedal, but the shrinking of our jaw muscle happened in parallel with our cranial expansion. it would stand to reason that if our head and top vertebrae depended that heavily on our jaw muscles, things would be different.

onesteptwostep

Junior Hegelian
Local time
Today 2:27 PM
-->
I guess the theory makes sense, I always thought bad posture was due to muscles underdeveloped in the chest and the abdomen. I could see how a bad jaw can compound later on though, though I'm sure there are other factors not considered.

On the other hand though, if our muscles and our posture is at our best when we're swallowing...

Top Bottom