• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Can music help you produce more Serotonin

NormannTheDoorman

Rice is love. Rice is life.
Local time
Tomorrow 5:56 AM
-->
Just wondering. There are certain pieces that make me feel, happy I guess you could say. I tend to listen to Cannon in C, occasionally D.

Paws

Redshirt
Local time
Today 10:56 PM
-->
Just wondering. There are certain pieces that make me feel, happy I guess you could say. I tend to listen to Cannon in C, occasionally D.

Well, I don't know enough about brain chemistry to answer your question about the mechanics of it, but you brought up an interesting subject... If we were to agree with the person who wrote about INTP's and music on http://www.intp.org/intprofile.html, we could say that you feel pleasure when listening to certain songs because they happen to fit your current mood perfectly or because they invoke some pleasant memories.

I wouldn't be so sure about that though - I'm a sort of a metalhead and in my case it's usually the progressive/sludge elements that bring on the aural ecstasy, and that also applies to music I haven't heard before =) That's just the way it's been since I first heard prog... despite of my training in classical music. Of course, there was Debussy first :P

TriflinThomas

Bitch, don't kill my vibe...
Local time
Today 12:56 PM
-->
I read an article somewhere that said a certain percent of the population's brains release dopamine when listening to music, and some people's brains don't respond to music (in the same way). I love music, I listen to it from when I wake up until I go to bed unless I'm in class or watching tv. :D

Cogwulf

Is actually an INTJ
Local time
Today 8:56 PM
-->
I'm afraid I have no link to this, but I have read that the inherent repetition in pop music, or the repetition of listening to more complex music repeatedly, means that when we listen to such music our brains are constantly pre-empting what will come next, each time our brain correctly predicts the next part, it activates the reward system, and hence releases dopamine.

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
Today 8:56 PM
-->
My link answers these ideas :rolleyes:

It also notes on how babies cry in minor keys.

Top Bottom