• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Can you succeed in life without finishing high school?

Nebulous

Local time
Today 1:13 AM
-->
Thread is for the title question as well as my personal angsting about problems I've gotten myself into school-wise

(help)

-
Personal angsting:
I'm going to fail English 10. I have six days to finish 44% of the entire Eng 10 course (online) or I'm fcked.
If I have to redo English 10, and do English 11 on top of that, I might have to blow my brains out.
I've been having nightmares about going back to school in September and having my English teacher strangle me with his long hair like in Porphyria's Lover.
He barely even has hair in real life, I don't know why it's always Rapunzel length in my dreams, but it's really upsetting.

English is the WORST subject to me. It really dregs up my insecurities and just pits me against the wall. Hate. It. I'd rather get beat up than write a paper. Even written short answer questions are enough to make me envision my life as a high school drop out..

God. I've just really fcked up. It's emotionally draining to click redo over and over again, uprooting myself and trying to plant myself somewhere in hopes the conditions will allow me to grow as I wish to..

*SCREAMMINGG*
-

Hypothetically, if one dragged themselves along through the mandatory amount of high school, only putting effort in for kicks when they felt like it, and flat out giving up on some mandatory classes, what could they expect the next years of their life to be like?

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 12:13 AM
-->
Eminem.

Nuff said.

Thing about eminem tho, is that he is exceptionally talented, and a damn hard worker. Even when he was drugged out he still outworked 99% of people. People like that are rare, very rare.

Or you can talk to your teacher about it.

Nebulous

Local time
-->
Eminem.

Nuff said.

Thing about eminem tho, is that he is exceptionally talented, and a damn hard worker. Even when he was drugged out he still outworked 99% of people. People like that are rare, very rare.

Or you can talk to your teacher about it.

Im in tears right now, I'm really stressed. It seems like a 'hopeless' situation for me right now.

I can be hard working as hell if it's something that is needed for fulfilling ___ goal that I hold dear, usually if it's for other people.
If it's for something bigger than myself I would fight. Give it my all.

I'm just.. not sure which branch of work that would be for me

I saw some documentary on how there are scandals and so much corruption when it comes to getting people affordable housing in America, and exposing corruption like that seems right up my alley.

I'm chaotic good.
But I need not just a cause, but some idea of a plan. I need a rough draft. Some direction, a compass

I'd forever owe you guys if you helped me find this

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
Im in tears right now, I'm really stressed. It seems like a 'hopeless' situation for me right now.

I can be hard working as hell if it's something that is needed for fulfilling ___ goal that I hold dear, usually if it's for other people.
If it's for something bigger than myself I would fight. Give it my all.

I'm just.. not sure which branch of work that would be for me

I saw some documentary on how there are scandals and so much corruption when it comes to getting people affordable housing in America, and exposing corruption like that seems right up my alley.

I'm chaotic good.
But I need not just a cause, but some idea of a plan. I need a rough draft. Some direction, a compass

I'd forever owe you guys if you helped me find this

Sorry, that came across as very callous of me. I was attempting to motivate your ass in gear.

Was serious about talking to your teacher tho. You have to explain to them what is going on with you, everything. Don't sugar coat it to make yourself look good. Just tell them you're up shit fucking creek and you don't know what to do. Tell them you don't like English, tell them what you told me. If they have no mercy for you, fuck them, they are rotten people.

Also, you will get through this shit, I know you will. A lot of young people have this same problem all the time. I'd wager there is another student you know at your school who is dealing with the same fucking thing you are. Maybe not the same class, but its extremely likely there is at least one other student having the same problem with class(es) that you are.

Thirdly, don't beat yourself up over this. Does it suck? Yes, but telling yourself "I could have" will not solve your problem. You don't have time to wallow. Get started on your shit. Make an effort. Call your teacher right now if you have their number. If not, do as much as you possibly can until you can talk to them.

Nebulous

Local time
-->
Sorry, that came across as very callous of me. I was attempting to motivate your ass in gear.
Not at all! Actually came across as sweet and reassuring.

My dad walked over to say goodnight and I ranted a bit about how I was worried and all that, and ended up in tears and ugh
I just shared the "tears" part to show y'all that I am actually pretty upset and stressed. Nothing to do with u don't fret friend

Was serious about talking to your teacher tho. You have to explain to them what is going on with you, everything. Don't sugar coat it to make yourself look good. Just tell them you're up shit fucking creek and you don't know what to do. Tell them you don't like English, tell them what you told me. If they have no mercy for you, fuck them, they are rotten people.

I've sent him three emails in the past two weeks or so and I haven't gotten a reply.
It's not easy for me to check email from my home though, I'll look again tomorrow.
I'm in a program at school called "Flex" (flexible support program) and the teacher who's in charge of this stuff is the guy who runs Flex. He's a really great dude and the perfect man for the job-- he asks and expects A LOT from the students in the program.
Most of the people in Flex have a mix of emotional issues (depression, anxiety, OCD, ADHD, etc) and family issues, problems with alcohol, etc.

Also, you will get through this shit, I know you will. A lot of young people have this same problem all the time. I'd wager there is another student you know at your school who is dealing with the same fucking thing you are. Maybe not the same class, but its extremely likely there is at least one other student having the same problem with class(es) that you are.

Thirdly, don't beat yourself up over this. Does it suck? Yes, but telling yourself "I could have" will not solve your problem. You don't have time to wallow. Get started on your shit. Make an effort. Call your teacher right now if you have their number. If not, do as much as you possibly can until you can talk to them.

Yeah. A number of my close friends from Flex have had to repeat their English classes too. They have warned me against it.

The reason I'm doing an online Eng 10 course in the first place is because I missed my in-school English class more than 20 times, which legally meant I didn't have enough hours in the classroom for that subject to count.. English was my first period class and I've had a shitload of difficulty getting to my first classes on time if at all.
Long story. I'll totally go into it if anyone has questions.

So at least I'm not alone, there are plenty of people who understand because they've gone through it too. Thing is the students I connect to and find "safe" moreso than the teachers and adults.
Feeling frustrated with school, finding companionship and safety in students who have a more "fuck it" attitude than I, AND being disconnected, mistrustful and scared of adults at school is a potentially bad combo though.

Skipped class a few times with one of those kids.
Started and was hooked on cigarettes with same kids.
Got high with them when I should have been in geometry.
Stuff like that. Etc.

Believe me though I FEAR my parents when it comes to such things.
Thank god I was careful enough to avoid getting busted by them.

Lot

Don't forget to bring a towel
Local time
Yesterday 10:13 PM
-->
How you define success is up to you. Is success having lots of money? Is it doing what you love? Is it raising children that are functioning adults? Is it having a high level of education? Is it simply just being happy? Is it making it to the next day?

I would try to pound through the shitty school stuff, just to get it over with. I did an alternative school, which was mostly computer driven. I would often dick around and then pound out the semester's work in two weeks. A few times I did 4 or 5 in one month. I really wanted to graduate a year early. Depending on how hard the work load is, you could probably smash it out in 6 days.

There are all sorts of hard things in life that suck and need to be done. You can't run away from everything that doesn't come easy. I feel that those that are successful, are that way because they don't give up. They don't give up because of failure. They don't give up because of difficulty. Sometimes they don't give up, even when conventional wisdom would have them believe their goals were impossible. But any Large goal will look impossible without a plan of attack. If you where presented with all the work you needed to get done to finish school, when you were 5. You would be like, hell no, ain't no one gonna be able to do that. But school is broken down into classes, semesters, and years. Before you know it, you're a graduate with knew goals to achieve.

Life is about goals. Animals all have goals. The human animal has achieved the goal that most animals will always struggle for. Survival. But we, as animals, are still wired to achieve goals. So being the intelligent beings we are, we can set our own goals. When we are young, our priorities are not set on maintaining the human achievement, so we need parent's and adults to help us set our early large goals. But becoming an adult is to become to determiner of our goals and charting a course to achieve them. That requires us to know our values, and which values we value more than other values. I don't want to give a robber my money, but I also don't want to be shot. I determine I value my life in the now, over the money in my wallet.

So the answer is yes. You can become successful if you drop out of high school. It will make some goals harder to achieve than others, but it won't keep you from success. Because success is determined by whether you achieve your goals.

....I'm in a rambling mood

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
Stay the hell away from those people, they are going to be nobodies in 10 years.

School is important. Don't drop out, I can guarantee you you will regret it.

Those kinds of people are a hell of a lot of fun, but they supremely lack direction and any kind of awareness for their future. Don't be them.

You are a smart kid, you would not be on this site if you were not. You have to realize what is actually important. I know it sucks that you can't trust your parents, been there done that bought that T-Shirt. But hiding shit from them is probably NOT a good idea. I don't mean you have to tell them all your secrets, but they are the people that probably care about you succeeding more than anyone else in the world besides yourself, if you care about that.

I didn't succeed in college because I didn't think it was important at the time. I had no vision for my life and now I live in my parents basement. Don't turn into me. Trust me, you want to go to school.

If you don't have a therapist, get one. Dead serious. And be honest with them. You clearly have some issues. You don't have horrific crippling issues, but you have some, and you have to take care of that shit.

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
Today 4:13 PM
-->
Suck it up and finish high school. Seriously.

Don't be a dropout. People who dont finish high school are also (generally) the ones that don't finish much else. Get your adult life off to a positive start by finishing the minimum requirement.

You don't have to excel. Nobody gives a shit what your grades were in high school. It only matters that you finished. So just finish. Do the bare minimum.

Also, listen to QuickTwist. It seems like he's been in your position and has valuable experience you can learn from.

And yeah, don't hang out with dropkicks. The kids who skip class to smoke are the ones who will hold you back for as long as you share your time with them. I hung out with those kids for a while, but luckily for me they all dropped out and I finished school without them.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
BTW, I don't want you to feel like I am just feeding you a bunch of horse shit.

I know a guy who I have known since Junior High. I always thought he was going to turn out to be a loser. I sensed that he didn't have the best parents and he kinda got into the wrong crowd. This guy and I go way back. He was the first person to expose me to Hybrid Theory when it was new, but this is irrelevant and just meant to give you a sense for time and the type of person he kinda was. Anyways, I always thought he was going to turn out to be a loser because of his external circumstances. I worked with him for a time at Menards as well. We snuck behind the Cedarwood wrack and smoked some weed together. I was terrified I was going to get caught at the time, but this guy was smart so we didn't get caught. Guess what? He turned out being way more successful than myself getting trained in a craft work type of job. So what is my point? This guy had the odds against him and he still managed to make something decent out of his life because he actually ended up going to school a few different times and got a degree or certificate or some shit. Even if these people you are hanging out with end up making something of their life, its not going to be because they dropped out.. Its going to be because they worked their assess off to get something accomplished. This guy, he's more successful than me and that's because he didn't give up on school when he had every opportunity to. AND he loves his job too. Also, These types of people who can "make it" without graduating are leader type people with thick skin. I don't think you fit that category and I don't either. That is why its a lot better to suck it up and ignore the rich chick who hates you for no reason and not hang out with the dropout(s) for wanting to belong and think about your future. Do me a favor and take 10 min to not do a damn thing except think about you future in silence without distraction. Where do you want to be in 10 years? What do you want to accomplish by the time you die? Who do you actually want to be? Do that. Think about those questions for 10 min. Then get your ass in gear and get as much of your work done that you can until you talk to your teacher and/or parents about this situation.

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
Today 5:13 AM
-->
I don't think you have to do well at high-school to 'succeed', there's likely just a correlation between the underlying causes why someone drops-out and how one handles future scenarios.

If when things get difficult, for example, someone chooses to not face them or put in the minimum effort, then are they more or less probable to respond to future difficulties in the same way?

I think you should put the effort in over the next few days to get a passing grade as accomplishing that will empower you to respond to future challenges. Failing won't mean you're going to fail at life, it's just a case of examining why the intended result didn't happen and trying to find ways to change things for next time.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 2:43 PM
-->
Anecdote:

I failed a whole bunch of highschool. I took several years off between college and uni. I dropped out of multiple years.

Your trajectory may be different to mine. For example, you might need stellar marks to get into the college you want or some such. I would check.

But for me, while people constantly hyped up the consequences of my non-engagement, I stood fast and got away with few consequences. I cannot stress enough that this is just my experience, but my teachers were basically bluffing and I called them right the fuck out.

That's not to say that I don't wish I had tried. Wasting time is a shitty thing to do, especially when you've wasted as much of it as I have. But the consequences of any individual failure on my part were not nearly as grave as my teachers wanted me to believe. After having basically failed all my year 10 exams (that's the end of highschool for us), I walked into college and continued crapping it up. I took a year off after year 12, returned to do year 13, and only then for the very first time applied myself.

While I've had ups and downs since then (depressive breakdowns tend not to be good for your academic record) - theoretically after having fucked up everything my entire life, it could have taken me one year to get everything back on course with essentially zero consequences.

Even though I'm still struggling - I've got an assignment sitting in front of me due in two days I can't seem to start - I am performing above average: my previous sins all but forgotten.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, you should try to do well, but it's probably not as big of a deal as it's made out to be if you don't. I strongly doubt that your difficulties with your classes are anything to do with actual incompetence.

Local time
-->
i got expelled at 16 (because i refused to yield to the hierarchy of fools and their system of nonsense XD) and since getting a job would allow me to escape my horrible family i chose that option over finishing high school elsewhere. the entry requirements for mature students (+21y/o) were different than for totally immature students where i lived and i later got a degree despite not having completed the last 2 years of high school. my point being that failing or dropping out of high school doesn't have to be the end of your education and not necessarily much of an impediment to your being able to get a job especially since you seem to be above average intelligence (so don't panic)

as lot said though, it depends how you define suckcess. some career paths require more boxes checked than others and you'll close less options if you finish; try to use this context and the prospect of getting this over with and not having to redo the course from scratch to motivate yourself to work your ass off for the next 6 days

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I knew a girl who wrote a master's thesis in mathematics in 6 days... and she wasn't that good either. If you have 6 days to finish 44% of an english course, then that is what you have to do. There is no other option. You can philosophise about the meaning of life after that.

Also, stop hangig out with losers.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 1:13 PM
-->
It is your attitude that counts rather than whether you pass high school or not. If you choose mediocrity in high school then chances are you will do the same on the other harder levels of life.

By the way Slim worked very hard. He spent hours memorizing words from the dictionary to hone his craft.

As for motivation, just start working on the course. Your mind will do the motivating naturally once you started it.

Local time
-->
Before her graduation Gabriele Susanne Kerner left HS before graduation and for three years trained as a goldsmith. On her second year she got a band together and started her music career. You might know the song "99 Lufftballoons" by Nena. Nena is Gabriele. Listen to the 2002 version of the song. She does the intro and outro half German and French. Pretty sure she's at least trilingual. And she gives thanks to Jesus. So, I guess with a lot of work and prayer you can do anything.

k9a4b

Banned
Local time
-->
I dropped out of high school because it seemed pointless. Turns out I was right. If you want to go to university and get hundreds of thousands of dollars in student loans so that you can learn some shit that you could have learned on the internet, go ahead. In Australia a graduate electrician earns only $7k per year less than a graduate electrical engineer on average. And the electrician gets paid during the 4 years of training. The electrical engineer has to pay thousands of dollars for their 4 years of training.

TLDR drop out of high school and get a job so that you can learn some self motivation before you waste hundreds of thousands of dollars on higher education

BTW I dropped out of high school and went to university 2 years after (dropped out of university too). High school is completely irrelevant. You can always go back and finish it later too

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
I dropped out of high school because it seemed pointless. Turns out I was right. If you want to go to university and get hundreds of thousands of dollars in student loans so that you can learn some shit that you could have learned on the internet, go ahead. In Australia a graduate electrician earns only $7k per year less than a graduate electrical engineer on average. And the electrician gets paid during the 4 years of training. The electrical engineer has to pay thousands of dollars for their 4 years of training.

TLDR drop out of high school and get a job so that you can learn some self motivation before you waste hundreds of thousands of dollars on higher education

BTW I dropped out of high school and went to university 2 years after (dropped out of university too). High school is completely irrelevant. You can always go back and finish it later too

So how are you doing financially about now?

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->

Why do you compare an electrical engineer to an electrician? Does it make sense to compare an architect to a carpenter? "High school is irrelevant because you can always go back to it"?

:facepalm:

TheManBeyond

Banned
Local time
-->
Objects in the mirror might look closer than they
god had 7 days to create the world and you have 6 to pass an examn. time to prove something to yourself.

i think i gave u an advice before, i didn't mean u to quit your studies, i meant u can simplify the angst by identifying what u must do
school gives you the mood and tools to fight the system, yet u become a part of it
without it u can only dream about fighting the system, u are percieved as a lesser being

the easiest way for your pshyque is to stick to studies, no doubt
i've been trying a few different things and i got to a point where i own a quarter of control of my path, i decided what i wanted to learn and i think i was smart enough to get some habilities in different areas and some experience in quite cool jobs doing boring tasks, that once zoomed out i can mold to fit every whole that's left for someone just that crazy and weird, but i didn't even quit high school
again, studies are the way to go, my sister is younger than me and she's got a nice salary and tons of friends, and she also managed to live her life without becoming a complete zombie, do this, you'll be cooler in their eyes
i can be amazing, but after a while everyone comes back to their confortness

i've own less outside but much more inside
i think when i find something that really balances the pain of an agenda i will stick to it like sin to humankind tho

Nebulous

Local time
-->
I love you guys so much. Thanks for all the awesome input.
I'm gonna go do my work now.

I have to write a research paper about who I think is the best US President.. I've been overthinking it a bit
Maybe JFK cause going to space is cool and inspiring asfck

Idk

M5mqx_s-200x150.gif

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
Get better friends and pass high school.

The only reason to not high school is because you have your own ideas. This might include:

- getting a full-time job
- killing someone and wearing their skin
- getting a full-time job killing someone and wearing their skin
- staring at the sun during an eclipse to de-calcify your eyes resulting in better than 20/20 vision, while simultaneously peeling back the lid on your pineal third eye, granting you powers of telekinesis and ability to see people as blobs of coalesced energy

If none of your ideas are any of those things, it's probably best to just finish high school first.

RicBC

Redshirt
Local time
-->
If you go peek the real world as like in trying a job for a while, you will benefit yourself and start to get better perspectives in relation to what to do in life, and done as soon as possible you will be able to finish school with a lot clearer head.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

RicBC

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Yeah. Only if a person is surrounded by a background where he/she can benefit from the status of having a degree, it is worth to get a degree first. Unless... One is really good at doing something, then one is able to start getting paid accordingly, and within that, the degree is merely a statement of what you can do and is the not hard to study to get it.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Nebulous

Local time
-->
I just spent like three hours drinking tea eating creamy Mac n cheese and trying to understand postmodernism based on google image search results
The conclusion I've come to is that the postmodernist theory has taken the phrase "I think, therefore I am" and refashioned it as "I consume, therefore I am."
Their view of truth as being a fragile and relative thing allows for them to create themselves and their truths through metaphysical consumption. Pursuing images attached to products and goods.

washti

yo vengo para lo mío
Local time
Today 6:13 AM
-->
write this fckn essay Neb.:cthulhu:

nanook

a scream in a vortex
Local time
Today 6:13 AM
-->
I think you should put the effort in over the next few days to get a passing grade as accomplishing that will empower you to respond to future challenges. Failing won't mean you're going to fail at life, it's just a case of examining why the intended result didn't happen and trying to find ways to change things for next time.

I guess this is the most important point, regarding motivation. It's like a game of lottery, you are not sure if the win will have any value, but it might and you can't loose anything, unless the pressure makes you suicidal.

I wasn't mentally relaxed enough to think of it as only a game/practice, i didn't even envision needing practice of that sort either. But it would have been better for me, had i just gotten that degree that may have opened other doors.

Personal shit of no significance to you:
I dropped out of school because, after feeling suicidal for three years, i could not tolerate any longer, how this economic school and economic system made me feel that i AM a failure, for not being compatible with it's challenges.

Fishes and bicycles. If i can't find me an ocean, i would rather quit paddling, this highway to hell is tearing holes into my seal belly.

But it was like partial suicide. Saved my soul and opened me up to the possibilities of post-conformism, but killed my prospect for financial independence.

This particular school did nothing for me for sure, but the degree might have opened up other options for employment that might have done something for me. Hard to say.

Now i am 40 and feel too old for employment. If i can't come up with my own creative thing, i am just one of the first of millions of people who are replaceable by robots for being incompetent and who simply need to be paid basic income to prevent anarchy.

My real mistake was not quitting the school of economics but not going to that school of art, because i had too little social skills and ego strength to sell myself as an artists and couldn't imagine growing this strength. However art was my true talent.

I didn't predict that due to my introversion, i would much sooner grow much ego strength and also some psychological talent, than learn how to be some kind of soulless secretary of economic stuff. I was raised to think of introversion as a failure that everyone has to grow out of eventually. I had minor but false hope of growing out of it intellectually. And i was right in assuming, that i would not grow social skills.

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
I particularly like this :):

"This life is a test -- it is only a test. If it had been an actual life, you would have received further instructions on where to go and what to do. Remember, this life is only a test."

They teach postmodernism in high-school? Lol wat. I'd give your conclusion a C+, maybe a B.

k9a4b

Banned
Local time
-->
Why do you compare an electrical engineer to an electrician? Does it make sense to compare an architect to a carpenter? "High school is irrelevant because you can always go back to it"?

:facepalm:

Listen I know you're an idiot but try not to go full retard

So how are you doing financially about now?

Pretty good. I'm learning how to save money and invest. Being independent taught me more than any shitty university would have

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 1:13 PM
-->
I suck at essays :storks:

Think of essays as overgrown lists:

First paragraph is intro to topic and what is the contents of the essay.

2nd to 2nd to the last paragraph's format is as follows: (what i found in books/journals/website with citations) (what i think about what i found)

Last section is a summary of the essay.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
-->
If you're having difficulty with distractors, make a list of all the interesting things that you want to do now but don't have time for (such as looking up post-modernism). Once you've finished your assignment, you get to do everything on the list!

Hint: You never get back to doing anything on the list once you have the freedom to do so. But it's useful to shelf them this way.

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
-->
I just spent like three hours drinking tea eating creamy Mac n cheese and trying to understand postmodernism based on google image search results
The conclusion I've come to is that the postmodernist theory has taken the phrase "I think, therefore I am" and refashioned it as "I consume, therefore I am."
Their view of truth as being a fragile and relative thing allows for them to create themselves and their truths through metaphysical consumption. Pursuing images attached to products and goods.

ur a mess

You're actually really bright, you just have parents who're cripplingly controlling and who eternally express the sentiment that you're not good enough, so you give up on things before you even really try.

Just fucking do it. Based on your posts on the forum you're a more than capable writer and actually really smart for your age. Even if it's just as an ironic parody of your cynicism for the education system, just finish this damn course.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
Yesterday 7:13 PM
-->
If I could go back, I would have gotten my GED and got out of high school early. I fucking hated high school and it was a terrible environment for me to learn in. Then I would have not gone to university and worked a trade instead (like welding or being a damn good mechanic and working for myself) and learned things on my own (fuck you college and your worthless pieces of paper).

But you probably don't really know what you want to do. I didn't either, which is probably why I thought going through school was a good idea... So you should probably stay or something?...err... :cat:

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I respect people who work a trade, but being categorically anti-academia is just as silly as being categorically pro-academia.

Like, I love what I do, and it would be plainly impossible for me to do it without a degree. Purely in terms of knowledge, it would be impossible for me to acquire this knowledge without a formal eduaction. Academia provides you with motivation, guidance, mentors, and a community. Learning is a social endeavour. The idea that one can just learn everything on one's own is an idea quite far detached from reality.

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
-->
Okay Neb, we've established that most of us don't want you to fail or drop out. So, you have a group of reasonably intelligent people rooting for you and at your disposal.

Instead of wallowing in self pity and complaining about your predicament, why not use this thread to your advantage and ask for some real help? You'll have at least a few people here who can at least help to make a plan of actionable steps for you to complete your objective.

Start with outlining the problem to us. What is your task exactly? Is it an essay you need to complete? Are you studying for an exam? What is it?

I don't know what English studies are like there, but I'm guessing you have a word limit, a literary text and a question or series of questions. Details please.

Give us something to work with and perhaps you can get a useful response out of us.

Okay go team Neb!

Nebulous

Local time
-->
Okay Neb, we've established that most of us don't want you to fail or drop out. So, you have a group of reasonably intelligent people rooting for you and at your disposal.

Instead of wallowing in self pity and complaining about your predicament, why not use this thread to your advantage and ask for some real help? You'll have at least a few people here who can at least help to make a plan of actionable steps for you to complete your objective.

Start with outlining the problem to us. What is your task exactly? Is it an essay you need to complete? Are you studying for an exam? What is it?

I don't know what English studies are like there, but I'm guessing you have a word limit, a literary text and a question or series of questions. Details please.

Give us something to work with and perhaps you can get a useful response out of us.

Okay go team Neb!

Bless you guys thank you so much

Ohh it's not just an essay. That was the assignment I was on
It's the entire English 10 course
I have until August 31 to complete the whole thing. If I don't finish I have to retake English 10 in school this coming year.

Bolded stuff I still have to do

• ENTIRE ENGLISH COURSE

- [x] * * NY-Common Core ELA 10 MOD 1
    - [x] Dealing with Difficulty
    - [x] Literary Analysis: Figurative Language and Imagery
    - [x] Skills Lesson: Figurative Language and Imagery
    - [x] Introductory Skills Lecture
    - [x] eResource:
    - [x] "Figurative Language and Imagery"
    - [x] Application Skills Lecture
    - [x] Practice
    - [x] Quiz
    - [x] Poetry: "The Lake of the Dismal Swamp" by Thomas Moore
    - [x] Introductory Lecture
    - [x] Vocabulary
    - [x] eResource:
    - [x] "The Lake of the Dismal Swamp"
    - [x] by Thomas Moore
    - [x] Exploration Lecture
    - [x] Practice
    - [x] Quiz
    - [x] Poetry: Poems by Sylvia Plath and Adelaide Crapsey
    - [x] Vocabulary
    - [x] eResource:
    - [x] "Edge" by Sylvia Plath
    - [x] eResource:
    - [x] "To the Dead in the Graveyard
    - [x] Underneath My Window" by Adelaide Crapsey
    - [x] Practice
    - [x] Quiz
    - [x] Vocabulary: Denotations and Connotations
    - [x] Vocabulary Lecture
    - [x] Vocabulary Interactive Assessment
    - [x] Short Story: "The Bet" by Anton P. Chekhov
    - [x] Vocabulary
    - [x] eResource:
    - [x] "The Bet" by Anton P. Chekov
    - [x] Practice
    - [x] Quiz
    - [x] Topic Test
    - [x] Topic Review Activity
    - [x] Topic Test
    - [x] Literary Analysis: Structure
    - [x] Skills Lesson: Structure
    - [x] eResource:
    - [x] "Structure in Young Adult Fiction"
    - [x] Practice
    - [x] Quiz
    - [x] Short Story: "The Colomber" by Dino Buzzati
    - [x] Vocabulary
    - [x] eResource:
    - [x] "The Colomber" by Dino Buzzati
    - [x] Practice
    - [x] Quiz
    - [x] Memoir: From Night by Elie Wiesel
    - [x] Vocabulary
    - [x] eResource:
    - [x] From Night by Elie Wiesel
    - [x] Practice
    - [x] Speaking & Listening:
    - [x] Listen to a Speech
    - [x] Quiz
    - [x] Short Story: "The Pit and the Pendulum" by Edgar Allan Poe
    - [x] eResource:
    - [x] "The Pit and the Pendulum"
    - [x] by Edgar Allan Poe
    - [x] Practice
    - [x] Quiz
    - [x] Nonfiction: Two Authors` Perspectives of the Writer`s Craft
    - [x] Vocabulary
    - [x] eResource:
    - [x] From "The Philosophy of Composition"
    - [x] by Edgar Allan Poe
    - [x] eResource:
    - [x] From On Writing by Stephen King
    - [x] Graphic Organizer:
    - [x] Venn Diagram
    - [x] Practice
    - [x] Quiz
    - [x] Topic Test
    - [x] Topic Test
    - [x] Media Literacy, 21st-Century Skills, Grammar, and Writing
    - [x] Writing: Descriptive Essay: The Best Villain
    - [x] Pre-Writing Lecture
    - [x] Pre-Writing Activity
    - [x] Drafting Lecture
    - [x] eResource:
    - [x] Descriptive Essay
    - [x] Drafting Activity
    - [x] Revising Lecture
    - [x] Revising Activity
    - [x] Searching for Peace
    - [x] Literary Analysis: Universal Theme
    - [x] Skills Lesson: Theme
    - [x] eResource:
    - [x] "Discovering Theme"
    - [x] Practice
    - [x] Quiz
    - [x] Novel: From A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
    - [x] Vocabulary
    - [x] eResource:
    - [x] From A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
    - [x] Practice
    - [x] Narrate a Life Lesson
    - [x] Quiz
    - [x] Vocabulary: Context Clues
    - [x] Vocabulary Lecture
    - [x] Poetry: "Tattoo" by Gregg Shapiro
    - [x] Quiz
    - [x] Short Story: "Rules of the Game" by Amy Tan
    - [x] Quiz
    - [x] Topic Test
    - [x] Topic Test
    - [x] The Search for Cultural Identity
    - [x] Literary Analysis: Conflict and Character Analysis
    - [x] Skills Lesson: Conflict, Moral Dilemma, and Character Analysis
    - [x] Quiz
    - [x] Short Story: "Two Kinds" by Amy Tan
    - [x] Vocabulary
    - [x] eResource:
    - [x] "Two Kinds" by Amy Tan
    - [x] eResource:
    - [x] "Two Kinds" by Amy Tan
    - [x] Reflection Lecture
    - [x] Practice
    - [x] Quiz
    - [x] Vocabulary: Precise Words
    - [x] Vocabulary Lecture
    - [x] Poetry: “Exile” by Julia Alvarez
    - [x] Vocabulary
    - [x] eResource:
    - [x] "Exile" by Julia Alvarez
    - [x] Practice
    - [x] Quiz
    - [x] Nonfiction: "Diary 24" and "Diary 33" from The Freedom Writers Diary
    - [x] Quiz
    - [x] Topic Test
    - [x] Topic Test
    - [x] Novel Study: Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift
    - [x] Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift - Parts I and II
    - [x] Skills Lesson: Analyzing Challenging Texts: Jonathan Swift
    - [x] eResource:
    - [x] "Approaching Challenging Texts"
    - [x] Practice
    - [x] Quiz
    - [x] Gulliver's Travels: The Letters and Lilliput (Letters; Part I, Ch. 1-4)
    - [x] Quiz
    - [x] Gulliver's Travels: Lilliput (Part I, Ch. 5-8)
    - [x] Quiz
    - [x] Gulliver's Travels: Brobdingnag (Part II, Ch. 1-4)
    - [x] Quiz
    - [x] Gulliver's Travels: Brobdingnag (Part II, Ch. 5-8)
    - [x] Quiz
    - [x] Topic Test
    - [x] Topic Test
    - [x] Gulliver's Travels by Jonathan Swift - Parts III and IV
    - [x] Vocabulary: Using Resources
    - [x] Vocabulary Lecture
    - [x] Gulliver's Travels: Laputa and Balnibarbi (Part III, Ch. 1-6)
    - [x] Vocabulary
    - [x] eResource:
    - [x] Gulliver`s Travels by Jonathan Swift
    - [x] Practice
    - [x] Quiz
    - [x] Gulliver's Travels: Luggnagg, Glubbdubdrib, and Japan (Part III, Ch. 7-11)
    - [x] Quiz
    - [x] Gulliver's Travels: Houyhnhnm Land (Part IV, Ch. 1-6)
    - [x] Vocabulary
    - [x] eResource:
    - [x] Gulliver`s Travels by Jonathan Swift
    - [x] Practice
    - [x] Present a Narrative
    - [x] Quiz
    - [x] Gulliver's Travels: Houyhnhnm Land (Part IV, Ch. 7-12)
    - [x] Quiz
    - [x] Topic Test
    - [x] Topic Test
    - [x] Media Literacy, 21st-Century Skills, Grammar, and Writing
    - [x] Media Literacy: Introduction to Plagiarism in the Media
    - [x] Quiz
    - [x] Media Literacy: Political Cartoons
    - [x] Quiz
    - [x] Ethics and Diversity: Culture and Communication
    - [x] Quiz
    - [x] 21st-Century Skills: Interview Skills
    - [x] Quiz
    - [x] Grammar: The Apostrophe and Colon
    - [x] Quiz
    - [x] Grammar: Personal Pronoun Usage
    - [x] Quiz
    - [x] Writing: Personal Narrative: Demonstrating Bravery
    - [x] Drafting Lecture
    - [x] eResource:
    - [x] Personal Narrative
    - [x] Drafting Activity
    - [x] Revising Lecture
    - [ ] Revising Activity
    - [x] Topic Test
    - [x] Topic Test
    - [x] Cumulative Exam
    - [x] Cumulative Exam Review
    - [x] Cumulative Exam
    - [x] Research and Persuasion
    - [x] Researching and Informative Presentations
    - [x] Writing: Research Paper: Best President
    - [x] Drafting Lecture
    - [x] eResource:
    - [x] Research Paper
    - [x] Drafting Activity
    - [x] Revising Lecture
    - [ ] Revising Activity
    - [x] Present Information
    - [x] Classical Greek Literature: Edith Hamilton and Antigone by Sophocles
    - [x] Ancient Greek Drama: Antigone by Sophocles
    - [x] Skills Lesson: Greek Tragedy
    - [x] eResource:
    - [x] "The Tragic Downfall of Tantalus"
    - [x] Practice
    - [x] Quiz
    - [x] Antigone by Sophocles: The Prologue
    - [x] Quiz
    - [x] Antigone by Sophocles: The Parados
    - [x] Quiz
    - [x] Antigone by Sophocles: Scene 1, Ode 1
    - [x] Quiz
    - [x] Antigone by Sophocles: Scene 2, Ode 2
    - [x] Vocabulary
    - [x] eResource:
    - [x] Antigone by Sophocles
    - [x] Practice
    - [x] Quiz
    - [ ] Antigone by Sophocles: Scene 3, Ode 3
    - [ ] Quiz
    - [ ] Antigone by Sophocles: Scene 4, Ode 4
    - [ ] Quiz
    - [ ] Antigone by Sophocles: Scene 5, Paean
    - [ ] Quiz
    - [ ] Antigone by Sophocles: The Exodos
    - [ ] Quiz
    - [ ] Topic Test
    - [ ] Topic Review Activity

- [ ] Topic Test
    - [ ] Elizabethan Drama: The Tragedy of Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare
    - [ ] The Tragedy of Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare
    - [ ] Skills Lesson: Ancient Rome and The Tragedy of Julius Caesar
    - [ ] Quiz
    - [ ] Skills Lesson: Tragedy, Drama, and Shakespeare
    - [ ] Quiz
    - [ ] Vocabulary: Acquiring New Words
    - [ ] Vocabulary Lecture
    - [ ] Vocabulary Interactive Assessment
    - [ ] The Tragedy of Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare: Act 1
    - [ ] Quiz

- [ ] The Tragedy of Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare: Act 2
    - [ ] Quiz
    - [ ] Topic Test
    - [ ] Topic Test
    - [ ] The Tragedy of Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare
    - [ ] The Tragedy of Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare: Act 3.1
    - [ ] Quiz
    - [ ] The Tragedy of Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare: Act 3.2-3.3
    - [ ] Quiz
    - [ ] The Tragedy of Julius
    Caesar by William Shakespeare: Act 4
    - [ ] Quiz
    - [ ] The Tragedy of Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare: Act 5.1-5.2
    - [ ] Quiz
    - [ ] The Tragedy of Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare: Act 5.3-5.5
    - [ ] Quiz
    - [ ] Topic Test
    - [ ] Topic Test
    - [ ] World Literature
    - [ ] Culture and Gender Relations

- [ ] Skills Lesson: Genres and Archetypal Symbols
    - [ ] Quiz
    - [ ] Short Story: "Subha" by Rabindranath Tagore
    - [ ] Quiz
    - [ ] Vocabulary: Technical and Professional Language
    - [ ] Vocabulary Lecture
    - [ ] Online Content
    - [ ] Vocabulary Interactive Assessment
    - [ ] Poetry: The Blazon, the English Sonnet, and Contemporary Song Lyrics
    - [ ] Quiz
    - [ ] Nonfiction: From A Room of One`s Own by Virginia Woolf
    - [ ] Quiz

- [ ] Nonfiction: "At the Hearth" by Laura Esquivel
    - [ ] Quiz
    - [ ] Topic Test
    - [ ] Topic Test
    - [ ] Media Literacy, 21st-Century Skills, Grammar, and Writing
    - [ ] Media Literacy: Decoding Legal and Governmental Forms
    - [ ] Quiz
    - [ ] 21st-Century Skills: Exploring Procedural Texts
    - [ ] Quiz

- [ ] Grammar: Sentence Faults
    - [ ] Quiz
    - [ ] Writing: Expository Essay: Strong Relationships
    - [ ] Pre-Writing Lecture
    - [ ] Pre-Writing Activity
    - [ ] Drafting Lecture
    - [ ] eResource:
    - [ ] Expository Essay
    - [ ] Drafting Activity
    - [ ] Revising Lecture
    - [ ] Revising Activity
    - [ ] Topic Test
    - [ ] Topic Test

- [ ] Cumulative Exam
    - [ ] Cumulative Exam Review
    - [ ] Cumulative Exam

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Good. You should have a plan for how much you want to have finished at particular times over the next days. If you get stuck at one point, immediately jump to the next one and come back to it later.

Nebulous

Local time
-->
Good. You should have a plan for how much you want to have finished at particular times over the next days. If you get stuck at one point, immediately jump to the next one and come back to it later.

I can't skip anything unfortunately. I've gotta do it all in order.
The only parts I can go past are the essay revision parts- I still have to do those

-
65.6% is done
34.4% is left

5 days to do it

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
-->
That's a really nice list. Lamest envy I ever did have.

I'm currently crapping out an assignment in the last 24 hours before it's due. I wish I had half the direction you have. The lecturer and my friends from honours talked the difficulty/complexity of it up so much I've been too panicked to even start until I was staring failure straight in the eye. I feel really fkn stupid.

Your workload is intimidating. You're going to need to set aside the time, do what Serac said and plan out when you need stuff done by. Don't try to get better marks than required, this is the unfortunate part of assessment where your schooling is going to get in the way of your education. Scrape the pass if you need to in order to get your quizzes done on time. I count roughly 80 items there, meaning 20 a day (not sure on your timezone?). If each item takes half hour (really rough estimate), that's two five hour blocks a day every day for four days.

I believe!

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
-->
I respect people who work a trade, but being categorically anti-academia is just as silly as being categorically pro-academia.

Like, I love what I do, and it would be plainly impossible for me to do it without a degree. Purely in terms of knowledge, it would be impossible for me to acquire this knowledge without a formal eduaction. Academia provides you with motivation, guidance, mentors, and a community. Learning is a social endeavour. The idea that one can just learn everything on one's own is an idea quite far detached from reality.

Not true. A lot of degrees are useless to companies without experience anyway. And with youtube and Amazon and such you can find really good resources for learning whatever it is you want to. I rebuilt a car for a turbocharger and was offered jobs based on that, not on my shitty electrical engineering degree with zero experience. I regret all the theory based crap they crammed down my throat without thinking about how practical any of that shit was. I could have learned all the practical stuff on my own or more realistically started out as an electrical technician and only went engineer if I thought whatever company I was working for would want that.

And if you need school to motivate you, you just suck at life to begin with.

And quit trolling. I know you're smarter than this.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
Not true. A lot of degrees are useless to companies without experience anyway. And with youtube and Amazon and such you can find really good resources for learning whatever it is you want to. I rebuilt a car for a turbocharger and was offered jobs based on that, not on my shitty electrical engineering degree with zero experience. I regret all the theory based crap they crammed down my throat without thinking about how practical any of that shit was. I could have learned all the practical stuff on my own or more realistically started out as an electrical technician and only went engineer if I thought whatever company I was working for would want that.

Yes, the same can be said for joining the military.

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->

"No jobs require degrees because I know about a job that doesn't require a degree"

"I got a job with a degree and practical experience, therefore you get jobs solely based on experience"

Learning how to think as a craft in itself is one of the most fruitful outcomes of taking a degree. Clearly, many miss that opportunity.

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
-->
...yeah, but from what I've heard from somebody that spent a lot of time in the US Air Force is that they actually do their jobs. And the command wants them to do their jobs and have some kind of job satisfaction because they are responsible for expensive equipment and such. So I don't know, I'm sure there's downsides, but I've never heard anything bad about the Air Force from anyone that's been in, unless they were an MP or Supply. But those jobs are shit to begin with. The only thing I've ever heard anyone complain about was that they had to do a little cleaning...which wow, isn't a big deal.

In theory, someone could get their GI Bill and learn a trade at the same time and potentially even do 20 some years as a warrant in the Air Force if they liked it enough. But that's just off what other people have told me. But I'm not advocating the military. Fuck the military. The Army was completely fucked up. And God knows what the Air Force has up its sleeves.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
...yeah, but from what I've heard from somebody that spent a lot of time in the US Air Force is that they actually do their jobs. And the command wants them to do their jobs and have some kind of job satisfaction because they are responsible for expensive equipment and such. So I don't know, I'm sure there's downsides, but I've never heard anything bad about the Air Force from anyone that's been in, unless they were an MP or Supply. But those jobs are shit to begin with. The only thing I've ever heard anyone complain about was that they had to do a little cleaning...which wow, isn't a big deal.

In theory, someone could get their GI Bill and learn a trade at the same time and potentially even do 20 some years as a warrant in the Air Force if they liked it enough. But that's just off what other people have told me. But I'm not advocating the military. Fuck the military. The Army was completely fucked up. And God knows what the Air Force has up its sleeves.

Being in the military teaches you to be self responsible. That was my point. The military TEACHES you how to be responsible. Never met an irresponsible person from the military who was a slouch.

Green

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I would recommend completing high school, you can spend a year after HS working and seeing what you like to do while saving money. I would ignore everyone telling you you're smart/suck it up. You should deal with your emotional concerns and not slap them aside, thats a common NTP trap. Have you ever tried cognitive behavioral therapy?

Dont think of yourself as dumb/smart because thats a trap. You're a person with limitations who can do some incredible things if you really put the work in. Being gifted/an NT/smart has naught to do with it.

When it comes to college/uni, it really depends. Whats your plan on paying for it, how many years is it gonna take to get your degree, where will you stay while in school and do you have a good environment to study in? Some people just cant make it through a bachelor's degree and thats okay. There are plenty of folks who get by without one.

The truth is you're still young and you dont really know what you want. Emotional states can shift super fast and principles (who I think I am) go with them. But that shouldnt terrify you into doing nothing, personally I didnt complete highschool with my classmates and I really regret it. I had to do it later in night school and didnt have a fun graduation. School suits me (though I found that out when I was like, 25..) because I much prefer an atmosphere thats about learning. It takes time man, you dont have to figure everything out now. But highly highly recommend finishing high school its just one of things that years down the road youll be like "im glad i sucked it up and got it done".

Reluctantly

Resident disMember
Local time
-->
"No jobs require degrees because I know about a job that doesn't require a degree"

"I got a job with a degree and practical experience, therefore you get jobs solely based on experience"

Learning how to think as a craft in itself is one of the most fruitful outcomes of taking a degree. Clearly, many miss that opportunity.

You're really good at missing points and twisting words into something that they weren't. If that's the craft of thinking you learned in college, congratulations, you wasted your time.

Green

Redshirt
Local time
-->
You're taking Serac's argument and deforming it. Lots of places do require experience but there are schools where I live that offer field experience too. Sure you can build a turbocharger, tweet a picture of it to jeff bezos and hope itll land you a job, but degree/no degree there is a fair bit of risk involved with both.

Thats why its important that the OT identifies his goals and that can only happen over time with a lot of thought involved.

I mean it just seems like an argument between

"schools important because my job requires a degree"
and
"i got a good job that didnt require a degree so obvs schools not important"

(though I think Serac is arguing for school cultivating a pursuit in learning)
and to be honest, theres some truth in that being relevant. Ive worked some bum ass jobs where people have given up and they dont even know it. Completely umotivated to change and angry when change/learning is proposed. Thats a future that is really dark to me, one where you've shut yourself off from being able to grow (because you find change threatening)

I dont think one sucks at life because they arent motivated. Thats just not how everyone works. Sort of the proof in meyers briggs. Everyones brain is different.

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
You're really good at missing points and twisting words into something that they weren't. If that's the craft of thinking you learned in college, congratulations, you wasted your time.
C'mon... I think you have almost the right attitude. You're just slightly missing the mark. You want to be anti-mainstream but you went slightly too far in the opposite direction.

It's true that not all degrees are essential. That, to you, implies education in general is useless. I don't think you need to have a degree in logic to see that this is an error of reasoning.

Ex-User (14663)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I dont think one sucks at life because they arent motivated. Thats just not how everyone works.
The question is also: how can you be "motivated" for something when you are a blank slate. Education provides some of this needed context and guides you in a reasonable direction.

I sometimes encounter self-taught mathematicians btw, and they consistently suck ass. The bigger problem is that they are oblivious to the fact that they suck ass. That's a result of not having interacted with others when learning this stuff, and not having been told when they do mistakes or go in a bad direction.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
C'mon... I think you have almost the right attitude. You're just slightly missing the mark. You want to be anti-mainstream but you went slightly too far in the opposite direction.

It's true that not all degrees are essential. That, to you, implies education in general is useless. I don't think you need to have a degree in logic to see that this is an error of reasoning.

Zing!

Top Bottom