• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Computer Preferences? (Hardware & Software)

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Today 2:46 PM
-->
Apple. It's the only platform where I can, through virtualization, run all of them. I need to do cross compatibility testing so need Linux and Windows. Plus being able to take it down to the local store for a few day turn around on a repair is brilliant.

On Monday I'll see if Apple wants to keep me happy with their Mac Pro replacement. It's probably a cube, with no internal upgrades but everything through Thunderbolt. Which I'm OK with, as long as I CAN upgrade RAM, at least one internal drive, and two PCIe slots for graphics (TB is 10-20 Gbps where PCIe3 x16 is around 150 Gbps)

Magus

Local time
Today 9:46 PM
-->
On my Macbook Air 13 inch. Wouldn't switch but I find the OS (I'm on Lion) can be a bit boring at times, I'd prefer more customisation.

Also have a small Acer laptop which runs Ubuntu. Its basically a portable hard-drive for me with the added utility of a computer.

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
Tomorrow 6:46 AM
-->
Apple. Parallels is a must though. Boot camp is acceptable. People failing to change their MacBook settings to enable a right click mechanism is unacceptable.

I run a 15 inch MacBook Pro (last model before retina) with a high definition screen upgrade (anti glare) and with and updated processor/ram. It works the same as it did the day I got it despite some pretty epic damage from a 30kg door falling on it out of nowhere.

Only problem with it is I spilled coca cola under the fn and ctrl keys and they don't really spring up anymore. Too afraid of breaking the keys, or I'd fix them.

I also use iPhone, and iPad. I'm using iPad now.

TheScornedReflex

(Per) Version of a truth.
Local time
Tomorrow 8:46 AM
-->
Windows 7!! And it's time to say good bye to my graphics card. Upgrading from my NVIDIA GTX 275 to the GT 560Ti.

Brachiosaurus

I eat foliage
Local time
Today 4:46 PM
-->
People failing to change their MacBook settings to enable a right click mechanism is unacceptable.

Someone told me they hate Macs because you can't right click. I told them to stop breathing because they obviously have no idea what they're talking about.

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
-->
Someone told me they hate Macs because you can't right click. I told them to stop breathing because they obviously have no idea what they're talking about.

It drives me nuts. People in my course (Architecture) buy their pretty little MacBooks with zero idea how to use them, expecting to be able to create a masterpiece with it. Failing to realise that without Parallels or Bootcamp (neither of which most of them have any idea of) they can only really run Adobe CS, AutoCad and Sketchup (which you can get by on, but in this modern era, Revit, 3DSMax, etc are fast becoming necessities).

Fortunately, this seems to apply mostly to the extroverts, and most of them get weeded out in the first couple of years anyway.

Magus

Local time
Today 9:46 PM
-->
Fortunately, this seems to apply mostly to the extroverts, and most of them get weeded out in the first couple of years anyway.

Justice in the universe :)

Are INTPs common in architecture? (I guess our label is the architect) but is it true?

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
-->
I'm not sure to be honest. But I'd say the majority of high performers are INTX.

walfin

Democrazy
Local time
Tomorrow 4:46 AM
-->
Hardware: AMD. Sound, Creative (for patriotism if nothing else :p)
Software: Kubuntu.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Tomorrow 4:46 AM
-->
I'm more of a (gaming) PC fan. However for more serious stuff (say client presentations etc.), I prefer to use the Mac. PC is kind of work or home clothes while Macs is a suit.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->
I want a gaming beast in addition to a general workstation monster. I'm hoping Apple announces a new Pro replacement today starting at 10 PST. Rumors seem to indicate that this will have dual GPU on board (mobile GTX 680 probably) with little upgradability. Since modern content production has moved from the CPU to the GPU I'd expect a PCIe 3.0 slot for a high end graphics card. Some have speculated the PCI slot would be in a Thunderbolt cage, but even at v2.0 that's only 20 Mbps so I'm skeptical (a x16 PCIe slot is above 100 Mbps).

Regardless I'd load it with the GTX 780 (no need to get a Titan) and dual boot.

kvothe27

Local time
-->
I have a gaming computer with windows 7. I don't really have a brand preference. I research the parts and make my selections based on what I want (a cost-effective gaming rig).

Top Bottom