• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Develop Your Ti

Smooch

INFP in denial
Local time
Today 5:24 AM
-->
http://psychological-types.com/TB/E/dev/IT.pdf

Found this neat little website. There are guides on how to develop every different function. I'm particularly interested in developing my Ti just to see if it can be done, as I have heard that we should not try to develop shadow functions.

Local time
Today 9:24 AM
-->
I checked it out. Some of the suggestions make sense if one believes they have the power to change their cognitive preference, as opposed to the functions developing and operating innately. It basically tells you to behave in the way a natural introverted thinker would. But does that an introverted thinker make?

You'll make a fine experimental subject! Let's find out!

And then I found their section on typing dogs: http://psychological-types.com/petthedog.pdf (Is it wrong if I think the dog description of an ENTP fits me better? :D)

And then I found this, which made me smile and choke on my own spit simultaneously (I don't think that's ever happened before):

"Are you more introverted or more extraverted?
  1. First, cover the right side of your profile with your hand. Look at the overall area that is shaded in on the left, your extraverted side.​
  2. Then hold your hand over the left side and examine the overall shaded area on the right, your introverted side.​
  3. Decide which side has the most area. This indicates that you have, generally, a more introverted or a more extraverted personality. If both sides are about the same, this means, that you can be introverted or extraverted, depending on the situation you are in."​

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
I have heard that we should not try to develop shadow functions.
What? That outrageous. If you want to develop Ti, why not develop anything you can?

Smooch

INFP in denial
Local time
-->
See, this is what I mean. I'm not able to take an article apart like that and decide whether it's useful or not.

I have T'ness envy.

I also think it depends on what you spend your time thinking about, rather than where.

Introverted feelers spend a lot of time alone analyzing their feelings, or at least I do, so if I aspire to be more logical in my thought process, should I think about.....what? :/

I checked it out. Some of the suggestions make sense if one believes they have the power to change their cognitive preference, as opposed to the functions developing and operating innately. It basically tells you to behave in the way a natural introverted thinker would. But does that an introverted thinker make?

You'll make a fine experimental subject! Let's find out!

And then I found their section on typing dogs: http://psychological-types.com/petthedog.pdf (Is it wrong if I think the dog description of an ENTP fits me better? :D)

And then I found this, which made me smile and choke on my own spit simultaneously (I don't think that's ever happened before):

"Are you more introverted or more extraverted?
  1. First, cover the right side of your profile with your hand. Look at the overall area that is shaded in on the left, your extraverted side.​
  2. Then hold your hand over the left side and examine the overall shaded area on the right, your introverted side.​
  3. Decide which side has the most area. This indicates that you have, generally, a more introverted or a more extraverted personality. If both sides are about the same, this means, that you can be introverted or extraverted, depending on the situation you are in."​

I see your point...but I'm still doing the experiment ;)

Local time
-->
should I think about.....what? :/
Maybe concentrate on investigation? Every time you encounter a situation where something is either true or false, verify it layer by layer by stating "if ___ then ___ should be true", and then test your predictions.

This is basically the action of Ti and Ne working together.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
Today 2:24 AM
-->
Interesting site. It is somewhat shallow but at least the author tries to actually give examples relating to the real world.

Here are the others for convenience:
Extraverted Feeling
Extraverted Thinking

Introverted Feeling

Extraverted Sensing
Extraverted Intuition

Introverted Sensing
Introverted Intuition

I don't think the articles are about changing preference so much as they are about providing exercises that give a taste of what it's like to have certain dominant functions.

Though if the author claims otherwise, I disagree. I don't think the qualities of a function could ever be fully reproduced by someone with another dominant function.

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
-->
I'm particularly interested in developing my Ti just to see if it can be done, as I have heard that we should not try to develop shadow functions.
Jung did write that there can be a problem in over-using one's inferior function, but only if tries to uses it solely and dominantly, and ignores one's other functions.

Were you to do so, then your inferior would bring your subconscious with it, because you normally use your inferior subconsciously and so they are strongly attached to each other. Your subconscious would then dominate, and your conscious self would be suppressed. You'd identify completely with the focus of your inferior function. But you'd no longer have the conscious awareness that could enable you to do anything about it. So you'd have all the awareness of the problem, but perceive no way to do anything about it.

As long as you retain the order of normal usage for your type in your daily activities, there is no danger of this happening, and you are free to develop any function you so choose.

See, this is what I mean. I'm not able to take an article apart like that and decide whether it's useful or not.
Ti-doms don't know either. Knowing whether something is useful or not, is Te. So it sounds like what you really want to do, is to develop your inferior Te.

Introverted feelers spend a lot of time alone analyzing their feelings, or at least I do, so if I aspire to be more logical in my thought process, should I think about.....what? :/
Simple. Do with your thoughts, what you normally do with your Fi feelings. Start analysing your thoughts. When you want to develop your Ti, then when a thought comes into your head, do the following:

1) Write it own on a piece of paper. Then write down the following below it:

2) "Is it really true?"

3) "How do I know this?"

4) "Does this make sense with everything else I know?"

Then try to answer these questions.

Think of everything you know, no matter how inconsequential, that might highlight if the particular thought that wrote down at first, could be true or false, and write all of them down. If one thought leads to another conclusion, write that down as well. Eventually, you'll start developing lots of chains of thought, where each one will indicate if the original thought you started with, is true, or false, or it can't say one way or the other.

You'll probably need several pages very quickly, for that one thought.

Then when you get tired, simply end that process, relax, and then when another thought comes into your head, start the process all over again.

Over a few months, you'll get so used to doing this, that a lot of the things you used to write down, will come to you in your head so naturally, that instead of writing down 10 steps of thought, you'll only have to write down 1 or 2 steps, and the rest will be obvious.

Then you'll eventually feel like when you do use this process, you develop entire dissertations in your head, in less than 5 minutes.

Duxwing

I've Overcome Existential Despair
Local time
-->
Jung did write that there can be a problem in over-using one's inferior function, but only if tries to uses it solely and dominantly, and ignores one's other functions.

Were you to do so, then your inferior would bring your subconscious with it, because you normally use your inferior subconsciously and so they are strongly attached to each other. Your subconscious would then dominate, and your conscious self would be suppressed. You'd identify completely with the focus of your inferior function. But you'd no longer have the conscious awareness that could enable you to do anything about it. So you'd have all the awareness of the problem, but perceive no way to do anything about it.

As long as you retain the order of normal usage for your type in your daily activities, there is no danger of this happening, and you are free to develop any function you so choose.

Ti-doms don't know either. Knowing whether something is useful or not, is Te. So it sounds like what you really want to do, is to develop your inferior Te.

Simple. Do with your thoughts, what you normally do with your Fi feelings. Start analysing your thoughts. When you want to develop your Ti, then when a thought comes into your head, do the following:

1) Write it own on a piece of paper. Then write down the following below it:

2) "Is it really true?"

3) "How do I know this?"

4) "Does this make sense with everything else I know?"

Then try to answer these questions.

Think of everything you know, no matter how inconsequential, that might highlight if the particular thought that wrote down at first, could be true or false, and write all of them down. If one thought leads to another conclusion, write that down as well. Eventually, you'll start developing lots of chains of thought, where each one will indicate if the original thought you started with, is true, or false, or it can't say one way or the other.

You'll probably need several pages very quickly, for that one thought.

Then when you get tired, simply end that process, relax, and then when another thought comes into your head, start the process all over again.

Over a few months, you'll get so used to doing this, that a lot of the things you used to write down, will come to you in your head so naturally, that instead of writing down 10 steps of thought, you'll only have to write down 1 or 2 steps, and the rest will be obvious.

Then you'll eventually feel like when you do use this process, you develop entire dissertations in your head, in less than 5 minutes.

I entirely agree with that training regimen, and I'd also like to add a bit:

The Three Values of a Thinker
1.) Objectivity: Shut your feelings, biases, preferences, and prejudices away in a deep, dark, maximum security vault lest they corrupt your logic. Be wary of escapees; you'll feel their presence whenever you get the urge to jump to conclusions.
2.) Precision: State exactly what you mean and don't leave anything but the most fundamental concepts of your idea unexplained.
3.) Relentlessness: Do not stop until you have either validated or invalidated your initial thought on a matter, and approach debate-- both in person and online-- with the same attitude.

I see thinking as the meditative component of the larger martial art of Logic: You must make many calculations in your dojo before challenging your opponent lest he body slam you like the unprepared dope that you are.

Indeed, Ti is a frigid function, but (here comes Ne) so is your mom! :D

-Duxwing

Smooch

INFP in denial
Local time
-->
I don't get it. (Duxwing's joke).

So in summary, Ti vs. Te - Ti asks how does it work, Fe asks what is it's use?

Thank you all for taking the time to respond to this.

It feels like I'm going to have reprogram my brain; relearn everything I know. Or thought I knew.

If this were a true experiment with myself as the test subject, how can I also be the scientists? Do scientists do experiments on themselves? I think that's more of an ENTP thing to do. Disregard the scientific process!

Sometimes I have trouble realizing when my logic is incorrect...I have a feeling I will be posting on this forum a lot more.

Local time
-->
If this were a true experiment with myself as the test subject, how can I also be the scientists? You could simply do a before and after comparison. Test yourself before and after.

I think that's more of an ENTP thing to do. Disregard the scientific process!
Hmph! :p

Sometimes I have trouble realizing when my logic is incorrect...I have a feeling I will be posting on this forum a lot more.
he hehehe heheHA HAHAHAHAHA BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
:phear:

Duxwing

I've Overcome Existential Despair
Local time
-->
I don't get it. (Duxwing's joke).

You know, "frigid," as in she won't have sex.

So in summary, Ti vs. Te - Ti asks how does it work, Fe asks what is it's use?

Thank you all for taking the time to respond to this.

It feels like I'm going to have reprogram my brain; relearn everything I know. Or thought I knew.

If this were a true experiment with myself as the test subject, how can I also be the scientists? Do scientists do experiments on themselves? I think that's more of an ENTP thing to do. Disregard the scientific process!

Indeed, youngling, much learning there is to do. :)

-Duxwing

Top Bottom