• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

distressed INTP - how to use your dark mode properly

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 1:50 PM
-->
Whenever I'm forced to do something important really fast, I descend to this "dark mode".

I get really calm, focused and cold (even for INTP standards) but I get things done. Things that my normal self would consider impossible/too much effort such as sweet-talking higher ups to get my way and pulling strings on people of my level.

I learn new skills on the fly (even temporary Charisma!) and implement it to the task at hand.

I'm so intense that it even scares my (probably) ESTJ boss even though he indirectly induce it most of the time (my lack of foresight on some of my responsibilities is a major factor).

Problem is that I get drained after a few hours of such stress and it also harms my health since I ignore things such as fevers so I could finish what needs to be done. I could only imagine what it does to my human relationships.

It's one of the reasons why I decided to leave my job and start a more flexible business.

My questions are:
1. What is this "dark mode"? Is this a natural INTP defense mechanism?
2. Can you harness it for the betterment of yourself and others? (Kinda like playing a good necromancer or something)

TimeAsylums

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 11:50 PM
-->
I suppose you're referring to our 'shadow funcitons' INTPesfj, you're tapping into them and they tire you out like hell, everyone has all the functions, just a different hierarchy.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
-->
I suppose you're referring to our 'shadow funcitons' INTPesfj, you're tapping into them and they tire you out like hell, everyone has all the functions, just a different hierarchy.

Read some info about ESFJ.

Hmmm... It seems like Ti and Ne says "Screw this, I'm out" then looks at Si and Fe straight in the eyes and says "Now YOU drive".

TimeAsylums

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Usually activated when placed under great stress or duress. I can use 'em in social situations or work, but I feel the need to sleep immediately after lol.

Also: this works brilliantly with our "chamelon" nature. If you can use the shadow functions and your chamelon. It just takes a lot of energy :/

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
-->
Usually activated when placed under great stress or duress. I can use 'em in social situations or work, but I feel the need to sleep immediately after lol.

I usually sleep at 8 PM whenever I'm forced to use it.

Also: this works brilliantly with our "chamelon" nature. If you can use the shadow functions and your chamelon. It just takes a lot of energy :/

I think I need to explore this shadow functions more... Looks like some sort of RL "playing against type" mode

WALKYRIA

Local time
Today 5:50 AM
-->
I'm doing in to; It's just THe FLOW baby ! Takes a lot of energy I admit it .
I need an appropriate room to reach it also; I don't think it has anything to do with typology. Just the ability to focus and to descend into the FLOW to get the job done.
INTP's can be hard workers. JUst that we hate that unnecessary shit !

BUt how do you explain it takes that much energy? that's crazy! Is it that the used " brain part" is requiring too much energy than usual? And than by doing so, saps all the energy(glucose!) from the other "INTP specialized parts" ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
-->
I'm doing in to; It's just THe FLOW baby ! Takes a lot of energy I admit it .
I need an appropriate room to reach it also; I don't think it has anything to do with typology. Just the ability to focus and to descend into the FLOW to get the job done.
INTP's can be hard workers. JUst that we hate that unnecessary shit !

BUt how do you explain it takes that much energy? that's crazy! Is it that the used " brain part" is requiring too much energy than usual? And than by doing so, saps all the energy(glucose!) from the other "INTP specialized parts" ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)

I'm more in the Arousal and Anxiety zone but I think I'll get to Flow eventually with constant practice :)

My guess is that Shadow functions are too unnatural for our psyche to handle, hence it needs to process more stuff to produce the desired result. An analogy would be riding a car. If you and your girl ride a car inside then you can go places and enjoy at the same time. Shadow functions on the other hand gets you out of the car and push it. Yes, you'll go places but I'm pretty sure it is not as enjoyable.

SpaceYeti

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Whenever I'm forced to do something important really fast, I descend to this "dark mode".

I get really calm, focused and cold (even for INTP standards) but I get things done. Things that my normal self would consider impossible/too much effort such as sweet-talking higher ups to get my way and pulling strings on people of my level.

I learn new skills on the fly (even temporary Charisma!) and implement it to the task at hand.

I'm so intense that it even scares my (probably) ESTJ boss even though he indirectly induce it most of the time (my lack of foresight on some of my responsibilities is a major factor).

Problem is that I get drained after a few hours of such stress and it also harms my health since I ignore things such as fevers so I could finish what needs to be done. I could only imagine what it does to my human relationships.

It's one of the reasons why I decided to leave my job and start a more flexible business.

My questions are:
1. What is this "dark mode"? Is this a natural INTP defense mechanism?
2. Can you harness it for the betterment of yourself and others? (Kinda like playing a good necromancer or something)

I don't know if we're talking about the same thing, but I find that I'm often very good at "winging it", to the point it appears to onlookers that I just plain know the ropes. I'll even intentionally not plan for something I know is coming up specifically because I know I'll do a better job at preparing when the deadline is looming nearer, like the best way to prepare for some hurdle is to go to the hurdle and deal with it directly. This doesn't serve me very well in the formalized areas of the Army, but in every day use it works brilliantly. The anxiety that tends to accompany it is very unpleasant, however, and does quickly drain me.

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
-->
I don't know if we're talking about the same thing, but I find that I'm often very good at "winging it", to the point it appears to onlookers that I just plain know the ropes. I'll even intentionally not plan for something I know is coming up specifically because I know I'll do a better job at preparing when the deadline is looming nearer, like the best way to prepare for some hurdle is to go to the hurdle and deal with it directly. This doesn't serve me very well in the formalized areas of the Army, but in every day use it works brilliantly. The anxiety that tends to accompany it is very unpleasant, however, and does quickly drain me.

I think we're talking about the same thing although in my case I unintentionally not plan for something which then bites me after some time. Since I'm currently working in a very formal office, the anxiety is killing me whenever I use it.

DIALECTIC

Local time
-->

Sounds like more INTP natural mode (Ti Ne Si Fe) going into stress induced ENTJ mode (Te Ni Se Fi), i call it the "God Mode". I did experience it often and in my case it could last a couple of weeks but then the transition back into INTP is terrible !

ESFJ mode (Fe Si Ne Ti) is induced by long term stress or maybe when that transition above from artificial / circumstancial ENTJ to natural INTP takes too long... This is the worst ever.

Wolf18

a who
Local time
-->
I also tend to do this, but not so much when I am stressed so much as when I am on the verge of figuring something out or, more often, trying to reach an important memory. I always thought it was like ISTJ-mode, but God Mode or Dark Mode is a much better term.

When I get it I usually ask everyone to leave the room and I stay put for as long as it takes until I figure out the problem or break out of Dark/God Mode. I won't eat, I won't talk to anyone (I occasionally talk to myself in this mode, but not often), and (unless I need to look at something that I cannot memorise) I usually keep my eyes closed.

Usually I figure out the problem or reach the memory, but not always. When I can't solve the problem/memory, I do feel really tired. When I do succeed, I usually get temporarily very excited, then tired.

SW

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 1:50 AM
-->
Read some info about ESFJ.

Hmmm... It seems like Ti and Ne says "Screw this, I'm out" then looks at Si and Fe straight in the eyes and says "Now YOU drive".

Well, kind of ... but I think the function order is restrictive. Basically I start using both Je functions (not just Fe) because I need to "get things done" and Ji and P functions aren't cutting the mustard. So I use whatever is appropriate; I become goal/list oriented, I just start doing things and crossing them off, and cut right to the chase. Energy is expended outward.

I can be highly effective and quick to find closure on things, but it's like using a special power in a video game: You can watch my energy bar drop in the corner of the screen, and when it bottoms out, I crash.

Finding

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Sorry I'm like three years late to this forum and this post

"Things that my normal self would consider impossible/too much effort such as sweet-talking higher ups to get my way and pulling strings on people of my level."

This so much this!! When I'm like this i'm like: is this even me anymore? It is like I'm not even consciously thinking about it...I just do it somehow...just on the fly.. (this is probably ESFJ shadow just taking me for a ride)

Now that I think about it, I think I have started using a milder version of this with my friends more consciously (also knowing about INTP characteristics helps, when I'm doing this). I'm now starting to think of this as my side personality...the one I use when I'm with people I like.

When I'm around people I don't (people I can't be around either because of them or because of me how I feel around them *read inadequate*), I'm not in control of the wheel anymore. Generally, this means I'm just getting out of there as fast as I can. I'm trying to deal with some of these issues, as you can imagine how this affects my work..

The one thing I have the most problem is that elusive Te...I wanna get things done! This ENTJ *god mode* you guys are talking about. Did any of you figure out how to get there consciously? And use it sensibly? Would appreciate any general advice as well!

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Not sure about ENTJ.... but my best Te work came through list mode, and I have to overcome a heavy inertia to get there.

Basically I start compiling lists of everything that needs to get done, versus just winging it from my head; and then I start crossing stuff off and/or adding to it as I go, and I don't let any reluctant or awkward feelings get in the way of me actually actively engaging the list. I just commit to the list.

It's like starting a huge truck full of cement rolling; it takes me awhile to pick up speed, but once I get going and keep working the list, I just start flying ahead and get a lot accomplished.

Once I stop, though, I'm toast again.

Aviator8

I wanted to be a star, so i irradiated myself
Local time
Today 12:50 AM
-->
Ohh the possibilities... Thanks for wording and identifying this. Imagine if we could find a way to feed our dominant functions while using these. We would have all of the positives we want without the negatives. We would have a super personality that might burn our minds, but would allow us to achieve monumental tasks.
:cthulhu:

Unfortunately, unless I'm really desperate, thinking about doing this exausts me.

Local time
-->
1. Yes, I think it is a natural defense mechanism. My father is ESTJ and I constantly have to use this "dark mode" in order to get along with him or else he will have a tantrum.
2. Sort of, but I usually do it during competitive activities especially cross-country and trivia. ;)

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
-->
Oh the memories, especially the toxic ones :ahh:

I think an INTP should really not use it as much as possible since it can really mess your psyche up.

pjoa09

dopaminergic
Local time
Today 12:50 PM
-->
It just sounds like ADHD to me.

Artsu Tharaz

The Lamb
Local time
Today 4:50 PM
-->
If you use your dark mode for long enough, people will assume it's your light mode.

Well, if that's the light mode, then wait til you see the DARK mode...

OH NOOOO HE DIDN'T!!!

Oh yes he di-id.

Watchu gonna do about it,

Punk? ;)

Local time
-->
Oh the memories, especially the toxic ones :ahh:

I think an INTP should really not use it as much as possible since it can really mess your psyche up.

Yeah I believe it can effect your psyche as well.. I used to use this defense mechanism so often that I became confused about myself.

Top Bottom