• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Do you even lift?

Creeping Death

Consigliere
Local time
Yesterday 10:59 PM
-->
It has come to my attention that the stereotype of INTPs would have one believe we are scrawny fucks who sit at the computer all day, making zero gains and crushing zero pussy. This is an outrage, I know there's got to be some superbeasts among us.

If you aren't quite sure of your brohood, the Brofessor himself, his broness, details it clearly in this video:
https://youtu.be/OloLS5kTrVs

Of course, you don't even lift if you haven't at least made it to Monster status, as described in this bromenclature video:
https://youtu.be/7kbSfFFEvxw

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Panzergrenadier
Local time
Today 4:59 AM
-->
I go through phases of getting really dedicated, eating tons of food, and ripping myself up 5 times a week.

Then I get very relaxed and let myself go, smoking weed, drinking beer, eating less healthy. I've never done the exercising thing for vanity purposes, just to prepare myself for inevitable societal collapse and hack my brain chemistry. Plus testosterone is the god drug.

Thankfully at the moment I'm in the healthy exercising phase. So I am looking and feeling great. Just got over a bit of a sickness/flu and today I am feeling tip-top. Will be hitting the gym today and getting back into the groove. Squats and oats. Squats and oats.

Creeping Death

Consigliere
Local time
-->
Squats and oats. Squats and oats.

Pssh, watchu talking 'bout, son? I am the sultan of squat, a disciple of the deadlift, a beast of the bench.

Also, my lats are deadly weapons, Michelangelo couldn't sculpt such perfection.

nanook

a scream in a vortex
Local time
Today 5:59 AM
-->
There are ways to attain a good physique, that are quite appealing to Si, such as movenat or calisthenics or perhaps even ballet, anything that comes from within and is an attempt to express human nature, not to achieve a goal and to be measured by your impact on objects, which is by definition Se.

I think Erwan Le Corre (the movenat guy) may be INTP. He is one of my visual idols, because i like a humble physique and i like his face. But i am not ready to live a physical life like that. All the definition i care for is that of being lean. I have other visual idols, like ötzi. no homo.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
-->
who sit at the computer all day

Real question here:

Do different types do different things on the computer?

What do INFP's do different than INTP's do online?

I spend zero time exercising,

only time I do is when I go to the store a block away to get food each day.

I haz the internet addiction to INTP forum and stuffs. :tinykitball:

Intolerable

Banned
Local time
Today 12:59 AM
-->
If I had to link my physique to that of a well known guy I'd say Russell Crow in gladiator. Not cut, no beer belly, etc. Just a regular guy. I do enough yard work and chin ups to keep the fat at a reasonable level.

The idea is to just be reasonably active. Sitting at the computer all day is terrible for your health. Especially so for those of us with tunnel vision.

Rhombus

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I don't really lift much, but I do got a very strong natural body frame.

R3TR0

ESFJ(or perhaps maybe just an damaged and insecure
Local time
Yesterday 11:59 PM
-->
Real question here:

Do different types do different things on the computer?

What do INFP's do different than INTP's do online?

I spend zero time exercising,

only time I do is when I go to the store a block away to get food each day.

I haz the internet addiction to INTP forum and stuffs. :tinykitball:

My close INFP friend posts some g rated basic memes that are ether terribly unfunny(Subjectively speaking to what most people find funny), or inspirational. Other than that He spends all his time messaging his friends; trying to give them advice and touch their lives, which is what I do through real life conversation(I find that to be much less deceiving)

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Today 3:59 PM
-->
I did for a while, but I had to go to hospital and then I couldn't for a while. Now I'm being really lazy and not even lifting. I'll go back to the gym one day, I have to admit I miss deadlifting. It's the most satisfying lift.

Plus it's my life goal to play Skeletor in a live action remake of He-Man one day and I need to make sure my body is ready.

Oh and as a bonus I still eat almost as much as I did while lifting so now I'm not putting on muscle I'm just becoming more rotund. I've decided that there's a point of rotundness at which I'll have to go back to the gym.

PmjPmj

Full of stars.
Local time
-->
Jaffa (or Jaffster) on here is a pro-confirmed INTP and also my BFF IRL.

He was fucking massive a few years ago. He did the usual INTP thing however:

Got really invested > nailed it > almost immediately lost interest upon achieving his goal.

Now he's back to normal pretty much.

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
-->
Jaffa (or Jaffster) on here is a pro-confirmed INTP and also my BFF IRL.

He was fucking massive a few years ago. He did the usual INTP thing however:

Got really invested > nailed it > almost immediately lost interest upon achieving his goal.

Now he's back to normal pretty much.

I went through a similar phase. I was an absolutely obsessed gym rat. I trained like Serge Nubret for 2 hours a day, every day. I got huge too (also I went from ~15% body fat to <10%, yet still put on enough muscle to go from a size small shirt to an extra large).

Then I got very ill and bedridden for 2-3 months, lost it all and really couldn't be fucked getting it back. That was a few years ago now.

Being chained to desk for the last 2 years has caused me to put on some pounds (I'd say I'm at around 18-20% bf at the moment), so I think it's about time I make the turnaround. Fortunately, I know exactly what to do and am very lucky to have excellent bodybuilding genetics, so it shouldn't be too hard.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->
scrawny fucks who sit at the computer all day, making zero gains and crushing zero pussy.

Is there a problem here?

I lift weights, but it's been a lifelong impossibility to grow much muscle, I just get stronger. Which isn't a bad thing, I've been told by several doctors they they don't like having patients get muscle-bound as it's bad for their health (puts a strain on the cardiovascular, just like being overweight).

Creeping Death

Consigliere
Local time
-->
Is there a problem here?

Not exactly.

I lift weights, but it's been a lifelong impossibility to grow much muscle, I just get stronger.

I can put on muscle decently, but I don't care about getting huge. Getting stronger is a more important goal imo. That's why I really don't do higher rep isolation exercises and just keep to the main lifts like bench, squat, deadlift, then some bodyweight stuff like dips and pull ups.

Which isn't a bad thing, I've been told by several doctors they they don't like having patients get muscle-bound as it's bad for their health (puts a strain on the cardiovascular, just like being overweight).

Yeah, could also be the drugs/supplements and intense diets some of these guys do.

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
-->
Yeah, could also be the drugs/supplements and intense diets some of these guys do.

That's not good either, but specifically they make the interesting point that any body weight above lean (muscle or fat) is hard on the cardiovascular, because the heart has to work harder in both cases to pump blood.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
I think the last time I got my blood pressure taken it was like 63/122 or some shit. I think I am healthy and that is all that matters.

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
-->
*Exits thread to go get pussy crushed by person who doesn't spend time doing absurd activities like lifting the heavy thing*

The Gopher

President
Local time
-->
*Exits thread to go get pussy crushed by person who doesn't spend time doing absurd activities like lifting the heavy thing*

Higs and Kitty sitting in a tree...

Gather_Wanderer

Space Jokes.
Local time
-->
Is there a problem here?

I lift weights, but it's been a lifelong impossibility to grow much muscle, I just get stronger. Which isn't a bad thing, I've been told by several doctors they they don't like having patients get muscle-bound as it's bad for their health (puts a strain on the cardiovascular, just like being overweight).

Don't intend to criticize your thinking here but why do you think your body has some aversion to putting on muscle?
I only say this because I was a pretty scrawny fellow myself for most of my life until a year or two after high school. I initially started lifting alone, then eventually with a groups of guys which I became good friends with. Progressed much further than I ever thought possible in less than a year. Very significantly changed my appearance, dramatically improved my strength and knowledge of my body. The day I started in the gym I was 155 lbs (I'm ~ 6'1"-6'2") couldn't even bench my bodyweight, and had never squatted in my life. Less than a year later I was ~ 190 lbs, benching 345, and squatting over 500. I'm also no radical and am completely against PEDs as well. Coming from where I've come from, it makes no sense that anyone couldn't physically add muscle unless they had some serious condition that prevented it.

Also, I don't disagree with your long-view assessment. I've been thinking about changing my physical training routine in my spare time (which isn't much these days), especially cardio which I've never been into. I can always lean on weight training when I need to from my years of experience and I think it is good for people to reinforce their skeletal structure before they get older but my goals are quite different now than when I started. Back then I was single and....er..um......hunting...:D

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->

You are ignoring a very important aspect of Americans. Sometimes Americans vote for people who lift heavy things up and actually move them like Jesse Ventura.

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
-->
It's almost as if getting elected by Americans is an insult to your intelligence

Creeping Death

Consigliere
Local time
-->
I imagine you'd probably start to say the same about the French when Le Pen gets elected this year.

Local time
-->
Why get gains when sprinting skills and agoraphobic tendencies are how you survive most zombie/take-over/deadlyvirus scenarios? :kodama1:

Chad T. Cock

Banned
Local time
Yesterday 9:59 PM
-->
Dom there's a great way to introduce yourself to gym culture, in case you're one of those lazyass phaggots who'll never step anywhere near a gym in their entire life (like me). He actually recently put out a book that's basically all his video material in text form, if you prefer; though I don't know how well it translates; I haven't read it.

I might make a thread on bodybuilding at some point, with some INTP bro tips. Basically though, the main thing is to make it quick and easy, and be consistent; keep some weights by the computer or something, and do a couple sets each day. This stuff's really not that hard. If nothing else, just hold out long enough for those sweet noob gains.

Given how much INTPs suck at small talk, and people stuff in general, having some aesthetics will give you a ton of much needed points to work with. It's amazing how much slack people will give you if you're hot enough. Combine with timeless style for maximal effect. They'll be much more inclined to assume you're the smart quiet type, rather than just a socially inept weirdo. You'll still inevitably botch it, of course; but it'll take a lot longer at least. It's like Phantom Menace; when that movie came out, people were so insanely primed to like Star Wars, that they were totally incapable of even realizing just how fucking bad it was until the shell shock finally wore off. Except here, you just want to fool people long enough to believe the truth.

...specifically they make the interesting point that any body weight above lean (muscle or fat) is hard on the cardiovascular, because the heart has to work harder in both cases to pump blood.

Interesting to hear. I've always wondered about the costs of extra muscle mass.

Local time
-->
Posture seems to be a biggie when it comes to social interaction as well. Being able to at least fake self respect keeps people from treating you like a used napkin. At least in my experience

randomsage

Redshirt Freshman
Local time
-->
I wanna start lifting but always getting stuck after I get what I want.

So, after reading this post and its replies, I randomly came up with points and goals fit for an IxTP...

1. Changing routine after achieving body goal that changes the body too.

2. Read up on muscle research and experiment with ideas such as lifting from high altitudes or switching up meal plans to see results unknown to your body chemistry.

3. Take up wrestling or martial arts. Preferably something good for introverts like MMA or something. (Lots of IxTx and INxx in MMA)

4. Give weightlifting/bodybuilding more value than surface value. (Don't know how to explain this one but I'm confident you'll think of something.

5. Quit. Start over. Repeat?

6. Emulate a bodybuilder and "living their life". Sounds weird BUT that's part of the reason why I even started lifting.

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
-->
I imagine you'd probably start to say the same about the French when Le Pen gets elected this year.

I genuinely think Le Pen is more intelligent as a person than Trump. Obviously I can't know for sure though. Also Obama is smart, as are the Clintons. I wa just being provocative. I wonder who is more intelligent between Bush jr and Trump?

Rixus

I introverted think. Therefore, I am.
Local time
-->
Well, as I've mentioned before, I'm quite into my fitness these days. It wasn't always the case, and during my last visit here I had temporarily ceased due to non-training related injury. But am now back to it, though spending only around two and half hours each week training in my home gym (at my height last year, it was closer to six hours), and am now much healthier in body and mind as a result. I believe that point was accurately made by Nanook that often depression is caused by poor diet and lack of activity; which is certainly the case for me. (I also quite smoking, improved my diet and have gone basically tea-total to help get back into shape).

I don't believe there is anything inherently Se about it. The image of the vain bodybuilder caring only about gaining muscle mass maybe. I could describe my physical changes over the two years I've been doing this in terms of measurements and weight, but that is unimportant. The reasons why I do it are primarily to increase my quality of life and independence. Aside from emotional and mental well being, the real life changes, for me, were:

When I first started, I could hardly get to the top of the hill I live on without being so out of breath as to be asked if I was asthmatic. If I bought one of those giant bags of dog food, I had to heave it into the trolley with both hands. I'd have to make several trips to the car to bring the shopping in. If I carried my daughter on my shoulders, more than 10 minutes and they were on fire. If I had something large that needed moving in my home, I would have to call someone to assist.

Now, I can run up that hill with little more than a touch of sweat. I can pick up those giant dog food bags with one hand and swing them over my shoulder with ease. I can walk around with my daughter on my shoulders for an hour without tiring. And recently I had to take my broken cooker to the scrap yard. I carried it to the car myself and threw into the skip without assistance. And now, I'm the one called to assist people in moving large things. It's made me more independent and vastly improved not only my life span, but also made life a great deal easier.

As for Higs point about disliking people who do this, I'm guessing that's down to questioning the eclectic nature of such people's interests, perhaps finding such a "macho" attitude to be very Neanderthal like. Maybe. But bare in mind, before doing an hour long full body workout yesterday, I had spent my day first styling my daughters' hair as I do everyday (yesterday was a Dutch braid for one and French braid for the other - not exactly a macho skill to have), then after shopping and errands played a computer game with my son and did a little bit of computer programming as a part of my current robotics interest (I solved an issue I was having which I thought was down to the initialisation of a variable, but it turned out the answer was to convert a procedure to a function that returned a value rather than just manipulating a global variable. It made the coding much neater). I consider prescribing to stereotypical gender or high-school social group roles as being highly primitive and not in the spirit of the INTP nature of refusing to follow the pack. I would personally rather just do whatever I feel the desire to do.

Top Bottom