• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

does time really change anything?

caitlinwaters

QUESTION! QUESTION..QUESTION?
Local time
Today 7:03 AM
-->
so here's the thing: I've been gone for a year. did all sorts of things. met all sorts of people. But somehow, I'm still here? Same place, same person? Anybody else feel like they've been walking around in circles?

sushi

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 11:03 AM
-->
time is a gradual function, things change, but they accumulate from small to big.

BurnedOut

Beloved Antichrist
Local time
Today 4:33 PM
-->
so here's the thing: I've been gone for a year. did all sorts of things. met all sorts of people. But somehow, I'm still here? Same place, same person? Anybody else feel like they've been walking around in circles?
That's likely an illusion (or not an illusion) because you adapted, you changed and then you realized that your basic values the same. So your 'essence' stayed the same.

crippli

disturbed
Local time
Today 12:03 PM
-->
Why would it be different? There is also a virus as should make this better then most. Rationally

crippli

disturbed
Local time
-->
Probably you like it better here.

BurnedOut

Beloved Antichrist
Local time
Today 4:33 PM
-->
Why would anyting be different?
Adapting is normal human behaviour. Most of our behaviours are based on our environments. For example, if you are a loner and if you are a journalist, you'd be forced to be verbose lest you want to lose your job. After you somehow forced yourself to be verbose during work and got comfortable with it, it means that you have adapted.

At this point I changed nothing.
Keeping the above example in mind, if you do manage to become verbose, it is going to have a long lasting effect on your personality because your social confidence has permanently increased. Secondly, it opens up various branches to your reactions which you may use in the future.

But tried many others to adapt....
Adaptation can also work negatively. A person can negatively adapt in the form of developing behaviours that go contrary to the situation. But this lies on the surface. To be more accurate about this, we have to understand that a person is forced to respond to his surroundings. If he is able to not stagnate then they say, "He's adaptable." and if not, the person is deemed as inflexible. However, this inflexible person may now 'complain more.' or has become 'whinier' or does not seem to 'care at all.' On a psychological level, the person manages to rid the distress of not being 'accepted' into such behaviours.

crippli

disturbed
Local time
-->
You are very quick to reply. As I changed my post. But I sense that verbose is a good thing? I actually take a lot of pride as being adoptable. Like covid. Took some reasearch. Then that was that. I think it will be more difficult if we are to get back to 'normal' for me. As I've adapted. As it is is fine.

caitlinwaters

QUESTION! QUESTION..QUESTION?
Local time
Today 7:03 AM
-->
Why would anyting be different?
Adapting is normal human behaviour. Most of our behaviours are based on our environments. For example, if you are a loner and if you are a journalist, you'd be forced to be verbose lest you want to lose your job. After you somehow forced yourself to be verbose during work and got comfortable with it, it means that you have adapted.

At this point I changed nothing.
Keeping the above example in mind, if you do manage to become verbose, it is going to have a long lasting effect on your personality because your social confidence has permanently increased. Secondly, it opens up various branches to your reactions which you may use in the future.

But tried many others to adapt....
Adaptation can also work negatively. A person can negatively adapt in the form of developing behaviours that go contrary to the situation. But this lies on the surface. To be more accurate about this, we have to understand that a person is forced to respond to his surroundings. If he is able to not stagnate then they say, "He's adaptable." and if not, the person is deemed as inflexible. However, this inflexible person may now 'complain more.' or has become 'whinier' or does not seem to 'care at all.' On a psychological level, the person manages to rid the distress of not being 'accepted' into such behaviours.
idk about that... I mean yes, as people, we adapt to our different circumstances. but at the same time, do we really?? it's all sort of an illusion to me. Taking your example, even if you learn to be more verbose, when you have the chance to not be verbose, I'm sure you'd rather take it. so in some sense, we adapted but not really. we're still the same person. This is what I meant. When you're older, maybe a year is nothing. But to me, a lot happened in that one year. My life did a total 180. but for some reason, I'm still the same. I adapted but not really? though idk if that makes any sense

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
You are too sure of yourself. You can't stay the same person, even if you tried to. So yeah, you are different, probably in a good way. Or maybe you are reflecting poorly on this year and it feels like nothing changed.

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
I keep trying to leave, and somehow find myself back here each time. I've just come to accept it and go with the flow, it doesn't mean that nothing has changed.

washti

yo vengo para lo mío
Local time
-->
Why you guys are trying to leave? I noticed some treat it as some badge of honor that they dont frequent forum anymore and must either brag or annouced it. Like it's filthy or something. Superiority complex or what?

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Why you guys are trying to leave? I noticed some treat it as some badge of honor that they dont frequent forum anymore and must either brag or annouced it. Like it's filthy or something. Superiority complex or what?
They found cooler kids to play with. That's a good reason to brag ; ). Or they are too swamped or too liberated by life's responsibilities to visit and they call being adult or responsible something to be proud of.

Honestly I know that my own announcements of leaving this forum were just a derivative of childish determination to grasp life's responsibilities. If something needs to be said it means you probably lack a fraction of the determination needed for doing it. If you can do something you do it without saying, sans leaving.

This forum is not an essential part of life, it's more of a library that you never need to visit and when you do it contains more entertaining comics than actual wisdom, but when you do visit you are looking for entertaining comics in a dusty library and someone to share them with.

A prehistoric man would never have access to nonessential parts of life, but by that they had no access to culture and they were a slave of their basic survival reality. It's 2021, you can choose your own reality, your own life, sex, gender and personality, it doesn't have to be basic or survival. The nonessentials get better every year into the future, forums worked in the 90's and 00's, there are more compelling social things out there.

washti

yo vengo para lo mío
Local time
-->
@Glaerhaidh

For me, online communities are potential sources of stimulation. Similarly with books or hobbies.

Procrastination is REAL though I think you focused too much on the duty aspect. Are you alright? How about fun?

People announce their quit cause they get used to some stimulation and after the initial enthusiasm ends they irrationally blame the habit for their own addiction and inability to just leave it for greener pastures.

Their tastes and preferences changed, and the habit become simply not consistent with the self-image of 'what's worth my time'.
They demand more of what's not provided enough or something totally different from this one source of stimuli.
However, they still continue, despising their submission to the activity now perceived as lacking and beneath themselves.

Except it's not the fault of this stimulation. It made no promises to anyone. It also doesn't hold anyone hostage.

But these peeps feel internal pressure to express their disdain nevertheless.
They don't know the casual approach of checking up stuff in a whimsical not attached manner.
Sick people really.

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
@Glaerhaidh
Sick people really.
Sick, untinking apes :D They're barely conscious which is pitiable.

People evolve and their needs evolve with them. Some of them feel stuck and feel like they should be evolving past this forum, which in itself is a sign they are evolving though they're not aware of it, so they feel resentful of their habits, themselves or their surroundings. Anxiety, anger get externalized.

Some sickos do it to perpetuate the culture of doing it, seeings others do it. That's also unthinking, but more poetic, more collective. Some troll, lone metalloid cowboys with attention deficits. Lots of things can motivate it.

You could argue that deriding this place or announcing one's leave puts them in their final phase of user life. I'd say that by the time they come back they're more aware of what they're looking for, if they don't repeat the first cycle of forum life again, I've seen that too.

This forum also evolved, but not at the right pace or with the right direction to retain its originators. Every surge of forum activity is a flash when its current culture or memetic collective resonates with that of its visitors.

Top Bottom