• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Don't know which direction to go.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 2:28 PM
-->
I am currently getting an Associates degree in computer science that will land me an Electrical Technician I job which pays anywhere from 35K-55k starting (I'm being conservative on the high end). I want to be making 100k+. I can't make that with just the Associates degree so I need more education. My instructors have said I am Bachelors material and this would be a possibility because I would start where the glass ceiling is for the Associates degree and no, they don't tell everyone that.

The other possibility is to have more of a math bent to my education. I believe this would be the most fulfilling granted I can get at least a masters. I grasp math concepts very quickly and can apply this knowledge to real world problems as you may have seen. It fact it is quite fun for me to do.

There is a problem to perusing a math degree. I have already spent a decent amount of money on my Associates degree and the credits won't transfer. I could however, test out of some classes that would eliminate the need to take certain classes which would save money.

So what do you guys think? Math or Bachelors?

[Edit] I have to take up to Physics in my Associates degree.

Local time
Today 8:28 PM
-->
Get a job and do as many online classes as possible working toward the bachelors, and then get it and either move up in the same organization or get a different job. Rinse and repeat with the M.S. Some employers will pay for your M.S.

Black Rose

An unbreakable bond
Local time
Today 1:28 PM
-->
If Bachelors is a sure thing maths wont get transferred I think you should go with more experience as that what they would be looking for at a higher paying job.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
@THD, How does getting into a good university work itself out if I only got an 18 on ACT? Does it matter what my score was or what? Basically how do I get into a good University.

Local time
-->
ACT/SAT score is less important if you already have an associates. "Good" universities also tend to be overrated, unless it's one that's known for specific programs. It's often a better idea to go to a more mediocre school, blow your peers out of the water (both academically and extracurricularly), and get top recommendations from your advisors and other profs. I mean... I graduated from the ever prestigious California University of Pennsylvania (the uni is in a tiny ass town in PA named California because some prospectors chickened out and decided to mine coal instead of gold) and got into a tier 1 research institution for grad school, so...

Saves $$$ too.

Also, you may have trouble registering for courses, in which case it might be a good idea to pick up a minor (depending on the minor because some are absolutely worthless).

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
Today 9:28 PM
-->
donate half of your salary to the people on here whom you've tormented with your very presence. you have decreased my life expectancy by approximately 3 years and i demand fair compensation.

Absurdity

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 12:28 PM
-->
"Good" universities also tend to be overrated, unless it's one that's known for specific programs. It's often a better idea to go to a more mediocre school, blow your peers out of the water (both academically and extracurricularly), and get top recommendations from your advisors and other profs. I mean... I graduated from the ever prestigious California University of Pennsylvania (the uni is in a tiny ass town in PA named California because some prospectors chickened out and decided to mine coal instead of gold) and got into a tier 1 research institution for grad school, so...

Saves $$$ too.

Yeah this is the route I wish I'd gone. Don't have a ton of debt but the little I have still looms over me. And my professors never really knew me even if I did well in their courses.

Puffy

"Wtf even was that"
Local time
-->
ACT/SAT score is less important if you already have an associates. "Good" universities also tend to be overrated, unless it's one that's known for specific programs. It's often a better idea to go to a more mediocre school, blow your peers out of the water (both academically and extracurricularly), and get top recommendations from your advisors and other profs. I mean... I graduated from the ever prestigious California University of Pennsylvania (the uni is in a tiny ass town in PA named California because some prospectors chickened out and decided to mine coal instead of gold) and got into a tier 1 research institution for grad school, so...

Saves $$$ too.

Also, you may have trouble registering for courses, in which case it might be a good idea to pick up a minor (depending on the minor because some are absolutely worthless).

I can vouch for that working as well. :D

It's basically the same as asking whether to have an adviser who is a top professor in their field, or someone less known but up and coming. The latter is more likely to give you more energy and input as it will reflect well on them if you do well, where top professors have less time to give you and reason to support you.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
Take English, QT.

That's actually pretty funny.

I believe the right thing to do based on what the best advice was, is to get my Bachelors. There will be small class sizes hence better one on one instruction and better recommendations. As it stands I know I could probably get a recommendation from the Dean at my school as well as an expert in the field of electronics and ironically enough, a writing professor (believe it or not I am good at writing if I have the chance to edit my papers).

As far as Math goes, I still want to peruse some sort of math degree and I think this is very doable.

Thank you guys for giving me some good advice and clearing some things up for me.

Local time
-->
Round the world and home again
That's the sailor's way
Faster faster, faster faster

There's no earthly way of knowing
Which direction we are going
There's no knowing where we're rowing
Or which way the river's flowing

Is it raining, is it snowing
Is a hurricane a–blowing

Not a speck of light is showing
So the danger must be growing
Are the fires of Hell a–glowing
Is the grisly reaper mowing

Yes, the danger must be growing
For the rowers keep on rowing
And they're certainly not showing
Any signs that they are slowing.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
-->
No doubt my plans may change but I expect/hope not. I am at the maturity level now where I can keep what values are important to me.

Top Bottom