• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • See https://www.intpforum.com/threads/upgrade-at-10-am-gmt.27631/

Educational issues of the Western World

nebnobla

Red-shirted ass
Local time
Today, 09:30
Hey,

Just got in an argument with some sensationalist sheepling that had yet to be enlightened to the cold & calculated mechanics of the system; I made a concept map to make things more clear to them, thought I'd share it here.

https://www.text2mindmap.com/xZ3kB6?controller=frontpage&method=index&map=xZ3kB6

Tell me what you think; I made it fairly fast and in somewhat of an angered state but hopefully it makes an okay approximation.

Edit: I'll try to fit in all the suggestions made; it can be a project of sorts. And I was a little perturbed earlier if your wondering why it comes across a little Effy.

Local time
Today, 14:30
I like it, but I think it's incomplete and I think it shows some bias due to personal experience.

Education in the West is founded on Hegelian philosophy[/URL], which is what education majors are hit with immediately in their introductory college courses. This may be why so many SJ types are attracted to teaching. Hegel was the guy with such lovely and wonderful quotes as these:
"The unfortunate urge to educate the individual in thinking for himself and being self-productive has cast a shadow over truth." - (Report to Niethammer, 23 October 1812).

"One of the chief factors in education is discipline, the purport of which is to break down the child’s self-will and thereby eradicate his purely natural and sensuous self." - (Philosophy of Right, §174a).

"This self-will, this germ of evil, must be broken and destroyed by discipline.” - (Subjective Spirit §396n).

"The assertion that the teacher should carefully adjust himself to the individuality of each of his pupils, studying and developing it, must be treated as idle chatter." - (Subjective Spirit §395n.)

"The most rational thing that children can do with their toys is to break them." - (Subjective Spirit §396n).
This philosophy has led our education system have a slew of structural problems, imho.

-We group students based on age.
-We teach part time. Seasonally, and 5 days a week.
-Our achievement goals and learning criteria are heavily standardized.
-Funding is tied to achievement, creating a negative feedback loop wherein poorly achieving school districts can't get the funds they need to improve. When these schools financially collapse, successful schools, which are typically in wealthy districts, don't want to take in poor/poorly performing students, and use their political sway to avoid doing so.
-We remove students who don't function well in this structure; schools send poor achievers and anyone who sticks out to remedial units as a means to boost their numbers and secure funding.

Also, given your comparison between the U.S. and China, consider the number of Chinese college students in American universities, especially graduate school. The majority of the student population of many graduate school departments in the sciences are foreigners; some 80+%. Why is that, if the American system is so bad? The ratios of foreign to domestic student admissions have created a substantial bias and strong incentive to alter admissions criteria, as foreign students are frequently criticized for being robotic, lacking personality, and being deficient in areas other than academic scoring.

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
I've studied in both western and eastern institutions. For me, The west trumps the east...overwhelmingly. I prefer things liberal. Eastern educational institutions is anything but that. We score highly but that's just a product of rigorous lower level faculties like rote memorization.

mindmapping. awesome.

Blarraun

straightedgy
Local time
Today, 15:30
As someone that isn't from US or China I can see how this western mindmap is not the same for western countries.

I wouldn't agree with eastern increased likelyhood to question/innovate. Early schooling in Asia is centered on memorisation techniques and brute force methods, from examples I studied. I don't know what degree of freedom they are given in their later stages, however they still choose to study abroad as a great finale to their educational careers. This might be because their high education is borrowed from the west and they have not yet developed their own system that would boost creativity and flexibility based on their strong early discipline to support it.

-We group students based on age.
-We teach part time. Seasonally, and 5 days a week.
Above are two strongly detrimental factors. Grouping results in boosting below-averages and halting above-averages, while practically destroying extreme low and extreme high.

Teaching part time is more inconsequential, over 2-3 month long holidays the discipline and information is scattered and needs to be brought to form again in the first months of next year.

Local time
I wouldn't agree with eastern increased likelyhood to question/innovate. Early schooling in Asia is centered on memorisation techniques and brute force methods

This might be because their high education is borrowed from the west and they have not yet developed their own system that would boost creativity and flexibility based on their strong early discipline to support it.
Indeed. Lack of technology breeds proficiency and amazing quality of skills (robots), but not innovation. Laziness is a prerequisite for innovation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m6s-ulE6LY
Confucianism is very similar to Hegelian thought.
Above are two strongly detrimental factors. Grouping results in boosting below-averages and halting above-averages, while practically destroying extreme low and extreme high.

Teaching part time is more inconsequential, over 2-3 month long holidays the discipline and information is scattered and needs to be brought to form again in the first months of next year.
I wouldn't call teaching part time inconsequential. Large gaps are one problem, but so is the intensity of dedicating 8+ hours a day to it, including travel time; more time in rural areas. It should also start at a later hour, imho, when students as well as their teachers are awake and cognitively efficient.

TBerg

fallen angel who hasn't earned his wings
Local time
Today, 08:30
I am familiar with Confucianism, THD. Would you mind outlining the facets of Hegelian thought that are analogous?

Top Bottom