• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Effects of Amphetamine (Adderall, Dexedrine) on an INTP

Synthetix

og root beer
Local time
Yesterday 11:05 PM
-->
This is just a documentation of my experiences with amphetamine and my observance of how it effects an INTP, positively, negatively, and neutrally..

I must make a note that most of these experiences brush over adderall, which is a racemic amphetamine mix, although in the favor of the D-isomer (71%) the effects include, to a lesser extent, the L-isomer, which has similar but noticeably different qualities than the D-isomer. Dexedrine is purely the D-isomer, so there will be somewhat of a difference in effect on the INTP, although seemingly insignificant to the less analytical, than the effects of Adderall.

Making decisions... Well, making a choice while on adderall seems to come much easier than otherwise. And the choice I've made is one I'm confident about. My thought is that this is the effect of Amphetamine on the Dopamine receptors, the reward chemical, as dopamine has been referred to,, I'm rewarded, so to say, for making the decision I made. This was evident in the classroom on several occasions. Whereas usually I'd sit aside from group interaction that required judgmental decision making, I could think through possibilities much swifter and come up with an acceptable outcome sooner and more confidently... Usually I would think of an option, then consider what the blowback of that option would be, then neglect to take that option due to fear that I may not be able to come up with a solution to the blowback that my decision made. With amphetamine, I could quickly choose the option that would, in my eyes, bring the most benefit with the fewest negative results, and still continue to have the energy and mental fortitude to continue that process for the remainder of class.

Confidence and sociability.. Now this comes to work wonders in social settings. I can remember back to one night at a friends after taking a meager dose of amph, there were some girls over that I hadn't been acquainted with yet. I initiated and maintained a conversation with a girl that I'd never seen before, that's not an easy task for me. But I got her number, walked her home and dated for a couple weeks after. The confidence boost was another thing that was revealed in the classroom.. You see, I'm the type that sits quietly and nervously in his desk, trapped in his head and hoping the teacher doesn't put a spotlight on me, the type that gets blank looks and awkward silence when I say something that the class hears. However, doses of amphetamine, and I'm a social machine, saying things that are on my mind without hesitation or regret. For an INTP, it can be a blessing to let out knowledge in a way that can be understood to many, and receive praise for it. Usually I'd stutter and rethink things when trying to talk about smart stuff to a group of people.

Negative... We like to focus on what captures our interest. Well, amphetamine gives you like 10x that focus. It can be great for obtaining gratuitous amounts of knowledge in one sitting, but when you finally look up from whatever you're attention is on and notice that enough time has gone by that the happenings around you are different, it can be weird. In a blue collar work environment that involves multiple tasks, I find it to be annoying. And also when you're getting in depth into an article on your smart phone while carelessly walking into traffic...

Appetite, sleep, mood...

Eh, fuck it, I'm too lazy to continue, I'll finish the rest and add extra comments whenever I feel like it, goodnight.

kantor1003

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 6:05 AM
-->
Most of the time I've tried it, I suddenly realize after 10 hours that I've been doing the same activity with muscle aching intensity for all that time. 1 hour feel like a second. I want to avoid that thing at all costs. I see how it could be quite dangerous. Spending 3 days awake and almost no food consumption to speak of isn't exactly healthy - not to mention it's addictive qualities. I'm probably not talking about the same amphetamine as you though.

Synthetix

og root beer
Local time
-->
Oh yeah, theres this thing called tolerance, it's a bitch, but what else can you ask for from a binge?

l-tyrosine, A dopamine precursor, can help being your dopamine levels back to normal.. Along with proper diet, exercise, and such. But time is the biggest factor in resisting tolerance.

Synthetix

og root beer
Local time
-->
Most of the time I've tried it, I suddenly realize after 10 hours that I've been doing the same activity with muscle aching intensity for all that time. 1 hour feel like a second. I want to avoid that thing at all costs. I see how it could be quite dangerous. Spending 3 days awake and almost no food consumption to speak of isn't exactly healthy - not to mention it's addictive qualities. I'm probably not talking about the same amphetamine as you though.

I'm talking about Amphetamine, not Methamphetamine, which it sounds like you are, hence the 3 days awake. Although it isn't unheard of for people to spend days awake on Amphetamine, especially extended release. I never went more than 80mg in one day, and most of the time I keep it below 40mg.. Much less neurotoxic than heroic doses obviously. They both have very dangerous potential no doubt, but proper utilization of harm reduction can greatly reduce the risks of both, however, I think Meth shouldn't be touched.

kantor1003

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I don't think it's meth, but I can't know for sure. It just goes by the name speed. Most of the time the effects haven't lasted all that long. 1 g would easily last two-three days in general however. No matter, I'm staying away from it.

Synthetix

og root beer
Local time
-->
Do people in your area refer to it as 'Base'? It may just be dirty Meth or Amph, neither of which I'd get unless they were pharmaceuticals. Or I'm considering using 4-FA as a study/focus aid, which is available from online vendors at 98-99% purity, usually in hcl form.. From the limited research on it, it appears to be less neurotoxic than amphetamine, and with fewer negative side effects... It lacks the rush that amp has though.

Get a test kit from dancesafe.org and see what the results show on this 'speed' you bought.

kantor1003

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Do people in your area refer to it as 'Base'?
Hmm, I don't know. It only goes by one or two street names that I'm aware off. They don't translate into english in anyway that makes sense though. Yes, probably dirty amph.

Cosmic

Local time
Today 1:05 AM
-->
i've been prescribed vyvanse and adderall. vyvanse was nice lol. so much concentration, motivation, no social anxiety, etc. very ready to take ont he world. no appetite, though, and my doctor switched me to two adderall XR's because the vyvanse would wear off within five or so hours, after which i'd still feel great and all, but by then i'd start functioning like a dopamine-depleted airhead.

adderall xr is really bleh and unpredictable. ups-and-downs. what'll be a good dose to study with one day may put me to sleep or make me anxious the next. if i don't get enough sleep, it doesn't work at best and takes my spacey-ness to the moon at worst. and then the whole eating thing is weird too. sometimes i'm hungry all day. or if it's anything like today, i'll be an apathetic zombie until i remember to eat. and not really all that much motivation, either. i just kinda waste the little time i have to spare either on the computer or flat-out not doing anything and just thinking before realizing how much time i've wasted.

yeah idk i'll probably try to get one more vyvanse script this month for the occasional use and call it a day for the most part as far as speed is concerned.

Local time
Today 2:05 AM
-->
I like instant release adderall for some things. It makes me a far superior human which i tend to enjoy. When I first become aware of the drugs presence my typically poor vision become 20-30 percent better. Athletically I am faster, stronger, and can exert myself for hours. My typical reading of 700wpm with 90% accuracy, skyrockets to 1000+ with 90+% accuracy. I also find it much more easy to accomplish tasks I'm not fond of.

I do get suppressed appetite which is killer because of my high rate of cardiovascular activity. I will literally have 2-4% body fat as time while taking adderall regularly. Effects always wear down once a tolerance is built up IMO. I now take adderall rarely whenever I feel the need to function on a robotic level. I would love to have pure dextroamphetamine but for now will settle with the dextro/levoamphetamine mix.

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
i've been prescribed vyvanse and adderall. vyvanse was nice lol. so much concentration, motivation, no social anxiety, etc. very ready to take ont he world. no appetite, though, and my doctor switched me to two adderall XR's because the vyvanse would wear off within five or so hours, after which i'd still feel great and all, but by then i'd start functioning like a dopamine-depleted airhead.

adderall xr is really bleh and unpredictable. ups-and-downs. what'll be a good dose to study with one day may put me to sleep or make me anxious the next. if i don't get enough sleep, it doesn't work at best and takes my spacey-ness to the moon at worst. and then the whole eating thing is weird too. sometimes i'm hungry all day. or if it's anything like today, i'll be an apathetic zombie until i remember to eat. and not really all that much motivation, either. i just kinda waste the little time i have to spare either on the computer or flat-out not doing anything and just thinking before realizing how much time i've wasted.

yeah idk i'll probably try to get one more vyvanse script this month for the occasional use and call it a day for the most part as far as speed is concerned.

You are the hapless guinea pig for the pseudo-science called psychiatry. My condolences.

My sister took Vyvanse for ADHD and it helped not at all. She's terribly effervescent and gifted and wacky, but the medicine killed that part of her psyche.

She's since stopped taking the meds and skated back to her old shenanigans.

Cosmic

Local time
-->
You are the hapless guinea pig for the pseudo-science called psychiatry. My condolences.

My sister took Vyvanse for ADHD and it helped not at all. She's terribly effervescent and gifted and wacky, but the medicine killed that part of her psyche.

She's since stopped taking the meds and skated back to her old shenanigans.

nah, it's all good. it was my own choice to start taking cheat-pills. i see a lot of room for change within the field of psychiatry, but i don't think it's fair to call it a pseudo-science. even within the context of ADHD and stimulants, there is plenty of science to support existing theories, and the mechanism of action regarding vyvanse is almost as well understand as that of dexadrine, a well-established drug.

tbh, i feel like a much better human on vyvanse. more creative, thoughtful, in-touch, reflective, energetic, patient, etc. i have yet to assess whether i feel ok with its regular use, though.

i really do feel for the kids who are fed into this notion that they are broken and need to be taking speed. =/

Smooch

INFP in denial
Local time
-->
I agree with pretty much everything the OP said, accept there were a lot more negative side effects for me...

Synthetix

og root beer
Local time
-->
Recently, I've used no more than 30mg a day, even 15mg a day hits the spot for most people who are new to it. Lower dose = less negative side effects and less neurotoxicity. It's fiendish, so I don't blame people for binging and bumping up the dose. But the more you do that you'll put stress on your receptors. Frequent use would lead me to an experience of on and off euphoria then anxiety.

Solitaire U.

Last of the V-8 Interceptors
Local time
-->
30 mg a day. Peasant!! :) I averaged 1/2 to a gram a day of high grade methamphetamine. Maintained this daily habit for years. They were without a doubt the most procrastination laced, unproductive (unless you count 72 hour computer game marathons as productive), self-sabotaging years of my life.

My advice: stop now, spare yourself the regret over so much wasted time.

Synthetix

og root beer
Local time
-->
I don't use Meth and never will, Amphetamine may be similar in a lot of ways but the toll on your body isn't as great. Moderation, supplementation, and an overall healthy lifestyle can counteract the negatives of controlled and occasional use of the substance.

xbox

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 7:05 PM
-->
Give me all your drugs

Solitaire U.

Local time
-->
I don't use Meth and never will, Amphetamine may be similar in a lot of ways but the toll on your body isn't as great. Moderation, supplementation, and an overall healthy lifestyle can counteract the negatives of controlled and occasional use of the substance.

That might just be your addiction talking. :)

Synthetix

og root beer
Local time
-->
Use of a substance for no more than a few days out of a month is considered addiction to you? Just because someone decides to use a certain drug once in a while doesn't make them an addict. That's like calling someone a whore for having sex.

Solitaire U.

Local time
-->
Ah, so you're afraid of words like 'addict' and 'addiction'. Do you really believe you can shield yourself from what you perceive to be such horrors by scoring your shit legally and following the directions on the side of the bottle?

You're the one that asked. Amphetamine is amphetamine. Put whatever prefix in front of it that pleases you. Disguise it with a functional-esque trade name. Sterilize it of euphoric effect and call it a 'useful study aid'. Limit your self-dosage to some arbitrary measurement you deem 'non-problematic'...slap on it whatever arbitrary frequency expression allows you to believe you're safely distant from that imaginary line between controlled use and addiction. Do this your whole life and call yourself superior because you stay away from evil meth dealers and narc junkies.

The truth is this: addiction is INSEPARABLE from controlled use. One without the other equals a junkie who lives half his life in a cage and the other half trying to escape back into the sanctuary of that cage.

So hang out with the Valium housewives, Chivas Regal suit and ties, born again Prozac believers, and Adderall fan-club college students if you want. I'm not saying you're an addict. Actually, you can rest assured that your current direction doesn't appear destined for a title of such honor anyway...but now at least you've had a head on collision with this:

Addiction is a bitch, but self denial is worse.

Take from this what you will, or take nothing.

Synthetix

og root beer
Local time
-->
I actually prefer the real chemical name as apposed to brand names.

You seem to only see one sided on this, as do most people who see someone who uses drugs.

Addiction- persistent compulsive use of a substance.
Compulsion- irresistible impulse.

As you can clearly see, moderate and controlled use isn't, by definition, addiction. I don't randomly reach for the drug box when I have the sudden urge to. I control my urges to toy with substances, especially Amphetamine.

This thread was made for informative reasons, not for people to come criticize my controlled and very sparse use of certain substances. Although criticism is unavoidable at times.

There are many moderate users of drugs who have lived lives more tranquilly than a person one would consider an addict, Alexander Shulgin and Terrence Mckenna for example. I'm not trying to sugar coat the negative effects, they can be very burdensome, but I'm trying to correct, in my opinion, the distorted view people have on drugs.

Smooch

INFP in denial
Local time
-->
@Synthetix

Were you prescribed adderall for ADHD or....?

just curious, not gonna judge.

Also, what is coming down from it like for you? Besides lack of energy? For me, it made me extremely depressed...and it always seems like coming down lasts 3 times longer than the "high".

Synthetix

og root beer
Local time
-->
I was never prescribed. And with the comedown, it depends on dose, anything lower than 30mg won't really give me a rough comedown. However, that's why it's important to eat regularly while you're on Amphetamine, since it suppresses appetite. Lack of nutrients throughout the day is one of the main factors causing an uneasy comedown. I also supplement with L-tyrosine in the following days, to normalize dopamine levels, and I also sometimes use either L-tryptophan or 5-htp to normalize serotonin levels. Those substances can be found at any health food store. A capsule of 5-htp, along with a nutritious dinner, can be a welcoming conclusion at the end of a day with Amphetamine.

Solitaire U.

Local time
-->
You seem to only see one sided on this, as do most people who see someone who uses drugs.

As I said in my first reply, I AM someone who uses drugs, and I see me every day, on and off them. Like I said, was a daily meth user for decades, and, though I happen to be in a dry state at the moment, that doesn't mean I'm finished yet. You are undoubtedly resistant to the fact that meth qualifies as amphetamine. I don't need to ask why, because I already know. I went through my Ritalin and Adderall stages years ago. If you want to talk shop, they're both dirty highs compared to meth, but you wouldn't know since by your own claim you have no experience with meth and no plans to experiment with it.

Synthetix;282565Addiction- persistent [B said:
compulsive[/B] use of a substance.
Compulsion- irresistible impulse.

As you can clearly see, moderate and controlled use isn't, by definition, addiction. I don't randomly reach for the drug box when I have the sudden urge to. I control my urges to toy with substances, especially Amphetamine.

All I can clearly see is that your definition is incorrect. Addiction is defined as ' a compulsive physiological and psychological need for a habit-forming substance. Verify it here: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/addiction

There's a big difference between compulsive need and compulsive use. You clearly admit to experiencing 'sudden urges'. Whether or not you act on them is irrelevant to the definition of addiction. But the prevailing technical definition is only that. Define yourself however you want, but try to avoid backing yourself into a defensive corner via skewered (read denial based) perceptions of reality. Not an insult but rather a warning from someone possibly more experienced than yourself...I've already been there and done that.

This thread was made for informative reasons, not for people to come criticize my controlled and very sparse use of certain substances. Although criticism is unavoidable at times.

It sure is. Must we now define 'inform' versus 'criticize'? Waste of time that, methinks. I'm doing my best to provide solid information for you. If all you're willing to handle is positive responses, then I'd suggest posting the same thread at Bluelight or a similar drug-oriented board. This is an open forum, not a fan club.

There are many moderate users of drugs who have lived lives more tranquilly than a person one would consider an addict...

I can top that...there are full blown daily user addicts (of ILLEGAL drugs, mind you) who have managed to fly below the radar, stay out of prison, maintain jobs and families, blah blah blah. I consider myself ...no, I AM one of them, and you cannot even begin to fathom the intelligence, time, effort, and money it's taken to 'live a tranquil life' in this regard. Is it worth it? Who am I to say...really I'm just an addict. If I had it to do over again, I'd trade all that euphoria for a life of less distance from my wife, kids, family, friends and most of all myself. So high and mighty, nigh untouchable, in my little meth box, but the jury's still out on whether not being touched is a good thing.

I'm not trying to sugar coat the negative effects, they can be very burdensome, but I'm trying to correct, in my opinion, the distorted view people have on drugs.
They're not really that burdensome, once you get the hang of it. Practice makes perfect as they say. I'm not debating whether what you're doing is right or wrong. I fucking love meth. The problem is that when I do it, I love it more than anything else in the world, even my own kids. Hell, even ME. What I know, for ME, is that that ain't right.

All I'm saying is that I don't believe, as you seem to, that a nutritious dinner chased with a few additional pills from the local health food store is going to counteract the greater issues. You'll just sleep it off and wake up feeling great enough to justify doing it again. That's cool for now, but it doesn't work over the long haul. Just remember, you haven't been on the long haul yet...

Not even close.

SU

Synthetix

og root beer
Local time
-->
You seem more interested in an ego infatuated, ”I've been there and done this and you haven't” type of rant, rather than discussing the effects.

Addiction is relative.. If you believe my use to be considered addiction, that is your personal opinion in which you are entitled to, I can't take your opinion away from you.

You say that you don't believe the supplements I've mentioned are of benefit?

Well... Do some reading..

L-tyrosine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyrosine

L-tryptophan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tryptophan

5-htp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5-htp

And do some reading on the substance in question as well..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphetamine

http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/amphetamines/amphetamines.shtml

You CAN prevent damage in the long run. Like I said in a previous post, time is the most important factor in preventing harm, time away from the substance that is. But proper supplementation is beneficial. This area I have much experience in, not only with drugs that act primarily on dopamine, but also those which act primarily on serotonin.

Have you been to the online community www.bluelight.ru??

It is very helpful for acquiring information on safely using drugs, from fellow users, enthusiasts and others. Erowid is also a great source. Within Bluelight you'll find abundant threads filled with detailed personal experiences, as well as links and mentions of helpful online resources.

If you decide to make an account, go to the New Member Introductions thread.. Introduce yourself and say what exactly you need information on, one of the other mods will be glad to point you in the right direction.

On Amphetamine and Tyrosine:
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/293416-dexadrine-and-l-tyrosine-interesting-combination

While the post is asking about a combo of the two, which I don't recommend, members say it is helpful with the comedown, as well as withdrawals after a binge.

Here is some less in depth but still informative stuff
http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56900

I'm sorry if I came off as a nuisance, but I'm free to discuss any irregularities you may be concerned about, via private message, in a civil and respectful manner. I wish to leave this thread open for people to discuss their experiences and how they effect the INTP mind, but I would like if problems seen by the readers of this thread be talked about privately. I apologize for any troubles I have caused you, and if there are any matters concerning proper terminology or information, let me know thru a message, and I'll stand corrected on the subject at hand, if misworded or technically incorrect.

Thank you and I hope we can get along from now on.

IdeasNotTheProblem

Local time
Today 12:05 AM
-->
I'm new to the forum stuff and just recently tested as INTP. I'm now fascinated with this stuff and can't get enough of it. What's interesting is that in 9th grade I was diagnosed with ADD. Notice the H is missing.
Can this personality be misread as ADD?
I was smart but underacheiving, Procrastinated and had a messy room. Had little attention to detail and struggled in a structured environment. I have always been reserved and quiet. But in my head things are constantly racing and going off on tangents. When I do focus it's often a hyperfocus. Are there articles on this? They say Einstien was probably INTP. They also say he may have had ADD.

Anyway, I took adderall on and off throughout my acedemic career.
Pros:
-Helped with organization
-Attn to detail
-completing tasks or projects(not just starting them then switching when bored)
-Helped with following class discussions.(fewer day dreams)
-increased focus on uninteresting things(HW that felt redundant or not realavent to grasping the concept)

Any of you not do HW but still ace the test?

Cons:
-Limited creativity
-reduced sense of humour(fewer wise cracks and strange observations)
-increased stress/anxiety (common stimulant side affect) but i was much more self conscience about the thoughts in my head and more likley to challenge them before trying speak.
I found it easier to express my true self, ideas and feelings when not on the drug.
Without adderall: reserved, quiet
With adderall: Very reserved, very quiet

Solitaire U.

Local time
-->
"Can this personality be misread as AD(H)D?"

I think all personalities that are prone to 'conformity issues' are likely to be (mis)diagnosed thus. Does INTP have that market cornered? Definitely not.

At 8 years old I was diagnosed(sic) with 'behavioral issues', stemming from my...preoccupation with testing the norms and rules of elementary level public education. I believe the term back then was 'hyperactivity'. Back in those days before Adderall existed the big amphetamine cure-all for prepubescent angst was a drug called Ritalin. What great shit that was! Within 3 years I'd moved on to the little white caffeine pills then known on the street as 'crosstops'. I remember a friend and I doing crosstops and then spending an entire weekend in my fathers garage playing darts with my little sister.

Edit* Yeah, also meant to say...I believe INTP-ish personalities are particularly prone to be attracted to chemical stimulants in general and amphetamines in particular. Hence the cautionary tone of my previous posts.

Jaffa

Local time
-->
I've never had the pleasure of taking Amphetamine but, judging from the glowing reference that is seems to get here I should maybe give it a go.

I spent several years as an Ephadrine junkie. I was taking rather large ECA Stacks to help me concentrate in work. While I know that its effects are only minimal compared to Amphetamines, it shares some of the effects (I am led to believe that it is structurally similar to Amphetamines).

It helps me concentrate, I can 'zone in' to work that needs doing. I can 'get lost' in a book where-as usually I would manage to read a few paragraphs before glazing over and not actually taking in what I'm reading.

A very pleasant experience.

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
My friends told me too late that amphetamines are not traditionally suppositories.

Top Bottom