• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Emotional Moments

Xel

When in the course of inhuman events....
Local time
Today 12:17 AM
-->
So because the last thread I made on the topic was lost in the Time Warp, I'll remake it now. Better.

What moments exactly trigger emotion in us INTPs? I consider myself pretty emotional for an INTP. However I seem to feel most emotional when I'm not at 100% thinking capacity. When its late at night and I'm tired and hungry for example I can start to feel lonely and sad and I begin to wish I could hang on to somebody (who in my head is always of the opposite gender... I have no idea if this is because I want romantic comfort or its just because I would rather be held by a girl rather than a guy). In these moments I tend also to be more religious. I think that maybe these moments are also more honest in some way... like I'm not hiding behind argument anymore?
I also notice that I'm still thinking all the time... I'm just not doing it well. The thoughts are disjointed and scrambled.
However these seem to be only the negative emotions. I think positive emotions come usually through creating or taking in some artistic work. And in those moments thinking is fine. So what do you all think? What moments make you emotional?

Auburn

Luftschloss Schöpfer
Local time
Yesterday 9:17 PM
-->
I consider myself pretty emotional for an INTP. However I seem to feel most emotional when I'm not at 100% thinking capacity. When its late at night and I'm tired and hungry for example I can start to feel lonely and sad and I begin to wish I could hang on to somebody (who in my head is always of the opposite gender... I have no idea if this is because I want romantic comfort or its just because I would rather be held by a girl rather than a guy). In these moments I tend also to be more religious. I think that maybe these moments are also more honest in some way...

I can completely relate to this.

There are times when my thinking side is weak and tired of analyzing, and my more emotional side finally finds an opportunity to speak what it's been holding back for so long. Often it will all hit me all at once in the form of a huge emotional wave. These moments almost always happen at night, when everyone else is sleeping.

Come to think about it, they happen more frequently when I don't have my computer - because my computer often times occupies my mind - but when I don't have my computer, my mind thinks more clearly and spiritually, which leads to feelings.

snowqueen

mysteriously benevolent
Local time
Today 5:17 AM
-->
When I'm tired I am vulnerable to emotions like anger and misery.

Nature, music and certain triggers in books and films (reunion of a parent and child, deathbed scenes, someone who overcomes an adversity, cruelty to a less powerful character like a child or person with learning disabilities etc.). Also I actively seek out positive emotions through watching happy films, comedy and music plus making a point of noticing beauty.

phantome

connecting that which cannot be connected
Local time
-->
For me it would probably be either late at night or when I'm outside and looking at a gorgeous view. That's when I would like someone (prefferably of the opposite gender, as you said) to be with me.

Local time
-->
All the people who want 'the opposite gender' are you gay or bi? if not, that's not to unexplainable. any homosexual INTP's that have this problem that would like to share if they wish they had 'the opposite gender' ? I'm genuinely curious.

motrhead

Local time
-->
Nature, music and certain triggers in books and films

I would guess these are pretty much normal for everyone.
Music is a contributor, but more often than not, for me it's more of a reaction to an emotion, and often fuel for the fire, to feed a particular emotion I am already feeling. Music can be a trigger, but usually not for intense emotions by itself.
Films -definitely. Books for me are even more intense than films. I sometimes suffer from an "emotional hangover" for days after I finish a particularly well-written book.
I completely immerse myself in a book, and completely shut off the outside world. In school I would often be dragged back to reality, only to find a teacher yelling at me:o, trying to get my attention. Normally, I will not put down a book until it is finished, or someone is absolutely demanding my attention (and then my emotion is usually irritation or anger, so leave me alone:evil:).
A movie is never quite the same experience. Watching something engages a different part of the brain than reading does.

Edit: Okay this part is related, but almost OT to the original question, but I wrote it already, so...

Here's a strange thing though. I went for many years without reading fiction. Somehow, I mistakenly convinced myself that anything but fact was worthless (or immature), so for years I only read biographies, histories and non-fiction books. I tried a few spy stories over the years, but they were nonsense to me.
I can't remember for sure which book it was, but I suspect it was the first installment of Harry Potter (which I had recently bought for my daughter), that reminded me what I was missing. I was transported somewhere else, and it was wonderful! I began re-reading old favourites and classics, and I liked it...:eek: I had been enjoying the great story lines in the animes my daughter watched (and read), and finally I just gave in and chose to embrace and enjoy the world of fiction.
I forgot about these great emotions. I love the world of imagination!
And now I am writing fiction again. I feel as if a part of me has been reborn! I'm alive again! I love books.:)

Toad

True King of Mushroomland!!!
Local time
-->
Let me paint a metaphor for how I deal with emotions.

Imagine a huge dam. The dam is my rational thinking side. It holds in the HUGE amount of water which represent my emotions. My emotions are constantly trying to break the dam. When things in life effect my emotions, the water starts spilling over the damn. When tragedy hits, my dam completely shatters and it's like an outpour of emotions.

I usually keep my emotions held tight inside of me. But once the dam breaks, well you get the picture.

For example, one time I was drinking with my family. Alcohol amplifies my emotions. We started talking about my life and I finally admitted to using cocaine and everything that I've done. I started crying uncontrollably and my dam just burst. The next day I felt so much better. The pressure of the water had become so great that my dam (logic) was cracking.

My point is, even if you are a T, it doesn't mean you don't have emotions. You have to share and let go sometimes to relieve pressure. If you don't, your logic will be "cracked" and your decisions will become irrational and emotion based.

Local time
-->
I can second what Toad said. I felt emotional yesterday, I feel awesome today. lmao

Zero

The Fiend
Local time
Today 5:17 AM
-->
I get irritated and "emotional" when it's late at night or I'm hungry (or somehow uncomfortable). If it smells really bad I'll instantly be annoyed. If either of these are the case I'll likely be rude and random, more so than I would be.

I don't think it's odd for any human being to be more emotional when they're deprived of something.

If I'm in a bad mood, it's hard to keep up a nice front. I'll pretty much just start telling people I hate them.

I was up til five am last night. I'm also hungry and I have a cold or signs there of.
And I fucking Hate the Toad.
You and your metaphors, your absurd colors and F'ingness.
Random Clown Colors just piss me off.

Drinking make me more open, but nice.

Last edited:

Xel

When in the course of inhuman events....
Local time
-->
All the people who want 'the opposite gender' are you gay or bi? if not, that's not to unexplainable. any homosexual INTP's that have this problem that would like to share if they wish they had 'the opposite gender' ? I'm genuinely curious.

Well I thought it was odd because the feeling I get isn't romantic related so technically any gender should do. But it still ends up being a girl... I don't really know why. Maybe the lack of romance I've had plays into it...

Yeah I don't get it.

Tacoma200

Redshirt
Local time
Yesterday 11:17 PM
-->
What brings out emotion? Music, scenes in a movie, a beach, a new place I've never been, "Feed the Children" commercials, the strait forward curiosity of my daughter, probably more stuff but it's late. I don't think loneliness is uncommon for an INTP even though we do better alone than most types.

echoplex

Happen.
Local time
-->
Moments where I imagine an idealized world -- ideal emotions, ideal logic, ideal relationships, ideal social structures. I sometimes feel a sense of how lonely, confused, and afraid everyone is. And I wonder if I truly know anyone. I wonder if we'll ever "make it" or what that even means. It's usually a mixture of sadness and laughter, as I begin to see the human race as ants on a tiny blue ball. Then I imagine that one of those ants is me. It's humbling to be an ant, when just that tiny crumb you carry is so important to you.

Music pretty much enhances all of this. It's funny, when I listen to music, I start imagining other music. Then, that evolves into imagining all kinds of amazing ideas and stories. Often these stories are very emotional and I start to feel the emotions of the objects involved. Movies can be like that too.

Tacoma200

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Moments where I imagine an idealized world -- ideal emotions, ideal logic, ideal relationships, ideal social structures. I sometimes feel a sense of how lonely, confused, and afraid everyone is. And I wonder if I truly know anyone. I wonder if we'll ever "make it" or what that even means. It's usually a mixture of sadness and laughter, as I begin to see the human race as ants on a tiny blue ball. Then I imagine that one of those ants is me. It's humbling to be an ant, when just that tiny crumb you carry is so important to you.

Music pretty much enhances all of this. It's funny, when I listen to music, I start imagining other music. Then, that evolves into imagining all kinds of amazing ideas and stories. Often these stories are very emotional and I start to feel the emotions of the objects involved. Movies can be like that too.
"[FONT=Tahoma,Helvetica]INTPs are fascinated by atmospheres evoked by music" Paul James
Yea, that's me, sometimes soundtracks from a movie I liked.[/FONT]

Android

Solyaris
Local time
-->
I for some reason get teary eyed sometimes when watching scenes in movies that show war in a very real sense.. out of happiness.. I think. It's pretty confusing for me. Maybe it's catharsis.. but I don't really think so. I think I got some warrior gene.. I want to be in their place or something. Movies/shows that do this to me: Band of Brothers, Full Metal Jacket, Apocalypse Now, 300 (once), Gladiator etc.

Most of my emotion outside of that received from Music, Movies, etc comes from adrenaline inducing moments or from being in nature. On the fourth of July I was swimming in a cold river in the sun after eating about 30 crawdads and felt a really surreal feeling of bliss come over me. When I'm really "in the now", and taking everything in - seeing, hearing, smelling everything around me - weird feelings of bliss and peace come over quite often. The thrill of the hunt, fights, BMX (years ago), horse rides, and many other things give me an adrenaline type euphoria at times. Anger is extremely rare, but comes most often when somebody very seriously violates my boundaries or steals from me.. things like that.. or does something to somebody who can't defend themselves against it.

I don't feel lonely often.. not in recent memory at least. I'm up all night.. sometimes for days (like now.. going on 60 hours or so).. and feel very calm and mildly happy at night when there is nobody to bother me.

JoeJoe

Knifed
Local time
Today 6:17 AM
-->
What emotion is the essence of beauty?

I think considering something as beuatiful is a very strong emotion, but I wonder what "source" emotion it is, or if it differs. We have no problem saying a musical piece is beautiful but what emotion is it, that makes us think of beauty? On the other hand, I guess it's relatively easy to measure musical and visual beauty. (golden ratio, harmonics)

I'm realizing that my thoughts are leading nowhere atm so I'll just leave it at this.

Local time
Today 12:17 PM
-->
The land where a merlion is the country's official

I'm bi. Sometimes I think that I should have been born a guy instead. Being a girl's too tough, and I kinda hate the whole 'guy-looks-at-you-you-lock-eyes-both-look-away-then-blush' thing. It's freaking embarassing. I find a lot of things embarassing and I don't know why.

I like girls a lot :o

Adamastor

Local time
Today 1:17 AM
-->
There are a few things that really touches my emotions, resulting in something somewhat drastic (i.e can't keep it to myself). Situations often draw by films like the mother figure (probably because my mother died when I was 3 y.o I think), believe it or not the first time I saw Mamma Mia I cried when the daughter asked the mother to help her dress up to the marriage :o; I am really weak against situations involving old people (probably because of my aunt that is like a mother to me), especially related to the death 'figure' and something that really triggers my anger is when someone kinda of messes with someone important to me, I've never beat, punched, kicked anyone out of anger (except for my brother...) but in school I nearly did it once (I did not punch but I lifted him by his collar, before someone intervened.

Besides these, even if something saddens, angers me I usually keep it to myself and it eventually fades of, though it is common for me to keep people away in these situations.

Local time
-->
Definitely late at night. Also listening to music but it's still sporadic.

Wow. I love the empathy here. It's 10:24 PM and I'm in bed listening to nujabes(music[that i recommend!!]). I suddenly feel emotional, very suddenly. I realize that I have no one to share it with and nothing to really enjoy while I have all the feels. So I get on here and first thing I read is your post. (insert meme-"not bad")

Top Bottom