• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • See https://www.intpforum.com/threads/upgrade-at-10-am-gmt.27631/

eternalism and conditions

sushi

Local time
Today, 21:29
these are the conditions of eternalism and eternal time

continuous space
continuous distance
continuous momentum (motion)

less important

continuous energy
continuous direction
continuous future

lead to

continous time

The Grey Man

Local time
Today, 15:29
Eternity and time are very different things.

Motion is time, a species of which time is the genus, but eternity is different from time in kind. Time is like the interior surface of a hollow sphere, whose many regions continually change colour, run into each other and back out again, whereas eternity is the center of the sphere, the unmoving point from which one may view the light show. This is the "eternal now" of the scholastics.

Diverse from both the center of the sphere (eternity; the subject of knowledge) and its surface (mere sensation extended in space; the object of knowledge) is the will, which reconciles the unity of the subject and the multiplicity of the object in attitudes towards features of the world. So it is that what is whole dissipates itself in what is partial.

Christian mystics like Eckhart preach the denial of self-will, and the egoistic atheist Schopenhauer preaches the same thing, in his own way. When you renounce the world in all its multiplicity, they say, the holy spirit dwells in you, the bitterness of eternal longing after creatures is replaced by the sweetness of eternal repose in God's grace. This outcome sounds very good—What, indeed, could be better?—but I can't say that I'm convinced of its veracity.

sushi

Local time
Eternity and time are very different things.

Motion is time, a species of which time is the genus, but eternity is different from time in kind. Time is like the interior surface of a hollow sphere, whose many regions continually change colour, run into each other and back out again, whereas eternity is the center of the sphere, the unmoving point from which one may view the light show. This is the "eternal now" of the scholastics.

Diverse from both the center of the sphere (eternity; the subject of knowledge) and its surface (mere sensation extended in space; the object of knowledge) is the will, which reconciles the unity of the subject and the multiplicity of the object in attitudes towards features of the world. So it is that what is whole dissipates itself in what is partial.

Christian mystics like Eckhart preach the denial of self-will, and the egoistic atheist Schopenhauer preaches the same thing, in his own way. When you renounce the world in all its multiplicity, they say, the holy spirit dwells in you, the bitterness of eternal longing after creatures is replaced by the sweetness of eternal repose in God's grace. This outcome sounds very good—What, indeed, could be better?—but I can't say that I'm convinced of its veracity.
isnt eternalism eternal existence, such as never ending universe?

sushi

Local time
prerequisite to a continuous and infinite future :

continuous space, continous distance, continuous momentum

and (continuous direction, continuous energy. )

this is shown in the spaceship thought experiment, when one rides a spaceship/car in one direction.

I need someone to prove me wrong or altenative views.

sushi

Local time
my definiton of eternalism is endless existence or experience.

after all the conditions prior are met, a continous clock is also another requirement.

The Grey Man

Local time
Today, 15:29
isnt eternalism eternal existence, such as never ending universe?
Q: What is the universe?

A: The totality of all physical events.

Q: What is a physical event?

A: An object that marries extension in space and duration in time.

Q: What are extension and space and duration in time?

A: An inside and an outside, and a beginning and an end, respectively.

Q: What is the relation of insides, outsides, beginnings, and ends to the universe?

A: The universe is the totality of all insides, outsides, beginnings, and ends.

Q: Does the universe have an end?

A: No; the universe is the totality of all insides, outsides, beginnings, and ends.

sushi

Local time
eternalism is descriptive of a process is it not, like an eternal process from point A to Point B.

Top Bottom