• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

finishing people's sentences

Dapper Dan

Did zat sting?
Local time
Today 4:05 AM
-->
Now, I would certainly never talk over anyone, but when someone I'm talking to pauses to think of a word or something, I try to finish their sentence. My guess is that this is a side-effect of having Ne as my main perceiving function.

Anybody else do this or find this annoying? I can see how it would be, being a Ti-talker myself.

Ejno

Redshirt
Local time
Today 10:05 PM
-->
I know exactly what your talking about. For me it comes across like a random compulsion to assist this person to reach the word they are trying to articulate and I would agree this must come from the Ne. You could think of it like predictive text, by applying the words used in the sentence so far there are only x possible words that can be used then you break it down rapidly and discern the most likely choice.

It is quite interesting that most often I hit the correct word, given that the number of possibilities isn't necessarily a short list and of course all this takes place in a matter of seconds.

A22

occasional poster
Local time
Today 9:05 AM
-->
It's fun to do but I'm rarely paying attention to what people talk about.

Roboman

Local time
Today 10:05 AM
-->
I used to do this in the past. People don't like it, neither do I so I dropped it.
Now I think through my respons to what the person is saying before he finish the sentence instead.

SpaceYeti

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 3:05 AM
-->
I curb my impulse, but I assist people with thinking of the word their looking for when it appears they're struggling to think of how the rest of their sentence should go. People tend not to mind that. Then, people tend to just plain like me, and I'm still not really sure why.

Lobstrich

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I do not have this 'side effect' be cause I do not interrupt people. I realise you said you didn't talk over people, but I still consider what you're doing interrupting. Mainly because I pause a lot myself to think of the word that best describes what I'm trying to say and when I get interrupted in those thinking moments I start my sentence over. Sort of as if I "died" and have to restart the level, hehe.

Dapper Dan

Did zat sting?
Local time
-->
On one hand, I can see it being annoying if someone did this to me, but really I don't think it would bother me unless they were repeatedly wrong and didn't stop.

It occurs to me that this interaction can even be treated as part of the conversation itself. If someone finishes my sentence and they're wrong, I still get a glimpse into where they thought my statement was going. That gives me a chance to revise what I was going to say in order to be more clear.

It also occurs to me that I suspect my entire family has Ne. As a result, I'm very used to this sort of interaction.

udqbpn

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I do that a lot. I guess we are good at anticipating what people are going to say [insert what I'm about to say here] :elephant:

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
-->
Now, I would certainly never talk over anyone, but when someone I'm talking to pauses to think of a word or something, I try to finish their sentence. My guess is that this is a side-effect of having Ne as my main perceiving function.

Anybody else do this or find this annoying? I can see how it would be, being a Ti-talker myself.

I didn't notice til now. I and an INTP friend of mine do this in almost every sentence each of us share. Sometimes one of us gets it wrong, which halts further discussion. But when we do get it right, the flow of conversation becomes really fast. I agree that it's Ne'sh though I'm not sure how.. perhaps because Ne is about experimentation and guesswork. Continuing a sentence provides the self a chance to test things out.

Dimensional Transition

Bill Cosbor, conqueror of universes
Local time
-->
I do that a lot.

I also sometimes talk over people because I'm afraid I'll forget what I wanted to say, so I just throw it out immediately.

It's pretty fucking annoying. Something I have to work on. As well as nagging people for approval. I can't stand having no comments or negative comments on anything I do. I don't really know what causes it, but it's something that definitely needs some work.

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
-->
People hate it. Besides, I'm not 100% right, and people HATE it when you give the impression you know what they are thinking, and are even slightly wrong. So I just finish their sentences in my head.

crippli

disturbed
Local time
-->
I do not think I have the capability. But if the others know that you know what they are thinking, and also know what is the next thing they are going to think, I would suspect this to be uncomfortable.

What I have noticed that I sometimes do, if I know, that is to provide typically a simplification to an idea if they are struggling to communicate their thoughts into words. Like a few days ago, she said...bla bla bla...'and maybe we should make from light to dark, you know, that colors go in between, that there is a separation...etc. So when she had to draw her breath, I sneaked in, 'you mean a gradient?'. Yeah!!! Exactly!! ..lol. I think that is funny. But of course one must do this with caution, and probably not to often. Another idea that just occurred to me, maybe she didn't think I understood what she was getting at, while I was searching for a simpler way to express the proposal..hmm.

Dimensional Transition

Bill Cosbor, conqueror of universes
Local time
-->
F! FFFFFFFFFFF!

Kill it with fire! :evil:
I know... I know... It's my shittiest personality trait probably. Hmm, reading back, I don't really think nagging was the right word, but when I don't get approval I'll start acting a little... flamboyant in order to provoke SOME reaction or just become demotivated. Either one of those. It still sucks, though... There surely must be some of you who can relate to this? I really need motivational words every now and then, otherwise I just feel like I'm going nowhere. Not constantly, but lack of positive criticism can really slow me down. Some healthy negative criticism every now and then is fine too, though, as long as it isn't a full-blown personal attack.

inb4 YOU'RE AN ENTP!

Cogwulf

Is actually an INTJ
Local time
-->
I finish my moms sentences most of the time, but only because it's much much quicker than waiting for her to do it herself. Especially when I already know the main point she's trying to get across and is just rambling for minutes without actually telling me anything else useful.

Top Bottom