• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Forum rules

kantor1003

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 8:17 PM
-->
I stumbled across a forum with some really appealing forum rules, and/or mentality. Maybe they would seem too harsh for some, but I like the way it promotes intelligence and thoughtful posts, and are quick to punish the opposite. Some excerpts:

2. What does the ***** Community Expect From A Member?

We expect you to use common sense and intelligence in your posting. We ask you to "Think" before you post and ask yourself, "Is what I'm posting contain facts and valid points, and is worthy to contribute to the discussion?" We realize not everyone will get along but we expect you to debate with "respect" and not name call or show childish behavior - unless the person is indeed a wastrel and deserves your verbal punishment (use good judgment). If you can not get along with certain members we ask you to not associate with them or take your problem with them to "Private Messages." We also ask not to post "one-liners" as it is a waste of board space. Feel free to send your "one-liner" in a PM. Finally, the majority of the users here are English Speaking, so we ask you make all your posts in English so all can understand. If you wish to carry on discussions in your own language please do it by PM or e-mail.

3. What Do The Titles Mean?

We have incorporated a system that has 4 levels.

First Level: Registered User
You start off as a "Newbie." After a certain amount of posts your title changes and so on. We ask that you do not make "one-liner posts" or just write garbage to speed up your title change. If you do so your posts will be deleted and if you continue to do so you will find yourself banned.

Second Level: Familiars
These are individuals who have shown intelligent and thought out posts. They have been chosen by the Administration solely. These names are in "Blue".
We ask that you do not PM or e-mail the Administration to ask for this title.
If you are worthy and intelligently spoken it will be recognized and you will be notified that you have earned this title. If you PM or e-mail asking for this title you will be given a title of "Whiner" for the whole community to ridicule.

4. What can get me Banned?

A: Stupidity will get you banned.

B: Having no respect for the Administration, Familiars or Moderators will get you banned.

C: Disrespecting our philosophy without a strong case against us will get you banned. If you have a conflict with anyone's posts or beliefs, present your post using the weapons of logic and rationale or keep it to yourself or you will be banned.

5. Why did my title get changed to "Idiot"/"Troll"?

Why? Because you earned it, that's why! And if you would like to earn this title as well, here are the qualifications:

Idiot - User has shown a complete and utter lack of intelligence, and deserves to be recognized for it. It takes effort to be this stupid. Let them know how ignorant they really are.

Troll - User posts to stir up trouble. Often items are needlessly inflammatory, obviously inaccurate, and may even include downright personal attacks. A "shit-disturber". They are fishing for attention to justify their meaningless existance. Don't give it to them. Users given this title should be ignored until they go away, or they push the envelope too far, at which point they will be banned.

9. Closing Statement

We believe these rules are fair and just, if you disagree with any or all of them then you will not be welcome here and we suggest finding another place to roam. We have worked hard at trying to maintain intelligent and respectable or truly entertaining content and we want to keep it that way. If you agree with the rules we have stated and respect them then we welcome you here and we look forward to interacting with you.

asmit127

Local time
-->
To not go against one of the rules presented here I'd have to write lots, but as there is no discussion required it's all thoughtless thus breaking another rule...

Really there's nothing more to say than these rules are great!

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
Today 3:17 PM
-->
kantor what forum is that? Are they serious? Although their intentions may be good and all those rules may be worth evaluating, pros and cons, to actually implement them is the worse idea I've ever heard of. Thoughts:

1. They would prevent spontaneity.
2. They are self-contradictory.
3. While attempting to prevent bad things, they destroy good things like open-mindedness.
4. Anthile would be immediately banned for one-liners.
5. Smart people can do stupid things.
6. Humiliating people as punishment? Think about the myriad reactions to that!
7. Reminds me of a caste system.
8. These people would be dangerous if they ever got in power, but of course they can't be serious the sad thing being they probably are unless they are just trying out for a reaction.
9. Great idea. Implement those rules right away. How about on Pluto?

Dormouse

Mean can be funny
Local time
-->
It's kind of insulting they don't think members can recognize trolls and idiots on their own.

Uh-oh, a one liner! Anyone going to ban me? :confused:
But seriously. It seems this would only encourage the postage of verbose shit versus concise shit.

Anthile

Steel marks flesh
Local time
Today 9:17 PM
-->
I think when they say one line they mean inane statements that say nothing really like "I agree.".

Claverhouse

Royalist Freicorps Feldgendarme
Local time
-->
We already have rules that are enforceable when we feel like it.

The Basic Laws: GENERAL RULES The Forum's Duties

Conduct: Revised General Rules [ Secondary ] The Member's Duties

Amongst which is stated: There are no ranking or rating systems used here to grade members.

The trouble with frequent revising and adding to rules is that like all Law Codes they end up massive and unable to be understood except by trained lawyers; which is why trained lawyers form the bulk of legislative assemblies.

Still, I agree with:

Stupidity will get you banned.

If you can not get along with certain members we ask you to not associate with them. Standalone, without the added suggestion that it be taken to PMs, since quarrels in PMs sometimes eventually involves moderators being called in, which is tedious for moderators.

But, we expect you to debate with "respect" and not name call or show childish behavior - unless the person is indeed a wastrel and deserves your verbal punishment (use good judgment) is pointless, since no-one ever actually thinks they are in the wrong and can always persuade themselves the other person 'deserves' it.

Claverhouse :phear:

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
We already have rules that are enforceable when we feel like it.
Stupidity will get you banned.
Claverhouse. Rules are interesting. That is one. That could be one where it is desirable not to bring in too many lawyers to define stupidity. I'm fond of lawyermanship sometimes.:D

Ignorance? One just supplies information or facts.

Stupidity can be a challenge. One person's frustration with it is another's challenge. Would we could show the blind how to see! Bring in an INTP? Bring in a non-INTP?

Sometimes everyone is stupid. That is, they do not know how to deal with a situation. (Dealing with trolls comes to mind. "I am not a troll. I am not a troll." he claimed.) Well then, then the thread is banned. Neat solution.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
I think when they say one line they mean inane statements that say nothing really like "I agree.".
Is THAT what they mean? I recall some J's calling statements "inane" whenever it was something they had to dismiss. I thought they didn't want to "get it" or consider it.

In another case there were two groups quarreling. (In my mind if they remained civil, they could bring out good things.) A solitary, "I agree" could be very meaningful if it tipped the balance. I'm not sure quarreling groups is an INTP thing though.

Claverhouse

Royalist Freicorps Feldgendarme
Local time
-->
Stupidity is more dangerous than malevolence.

A communist will direct a driver to drive the bus over the cliff to prove a marxist point: that can be countered. A liberal will impose rules that only brain-damaged semi-blind illegal immigrants may drive buses, in order to prove: he values the brain-damaged; is not prejudiced against the blind; and believes illegal immigrants should be given a fair chance at a much lower wage.

Usually wealthy liberal elites don't ride the buses.

kantor1003

Prolific Member
Local time
-->

1. It would prevent spontaneity, or drastically reduce it, but I fail to see how this necessarily is a bad thing.
2. In what way are they self-contradictory? care to elaborate on that?
3. How does it destroy good things like open-mindedness? Posting thought out responses, and if you are to critique someone you must make sure you back it up using reason and logic isn't really detrimental to any open mindedness at all.. care to elaborate on that as well?
4. Anthile would be banned yes, but so would many others here, probably me as well, hehe.
5. Smart people can do stupid things, but I don't think they have a problem with that. If you make a habit making a fool out of yourself, or continually post foolish things however, that's when measures are taken I believe.

Yeah, they are really serious :) I wouldn't like that strict of a rule set myself.. as it would kinda ruin the nice laid back atmosphere we have here.. but seeing the overall quality of their posts, I can't say that the rules don't do their job.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
Stupidity is more dangerous than malevolence.

A communist will direct a driver to drive the bus over the cliff to prove a marxist point: that can be countered. A liberal will impose rules that only brain-damaged semi-blind illegal immigrants may drive buses, in order to prove: he values the brain-damaged; is not prejudiced against the blind; and believes illegal immigrants should be given a fair chance at a much lower wage.

Usually wealthy liberal elites don't ride the buses.
A moderate will hire a conservative to run the bus company. A good bus company has good rules and hires good people.

kantor1003

Prolific Member
Local time
-->

They really emphasize elaborative posts. So even if you say "something", they want you to explain your idea properly. This is more true for newer members it seems though.

For example, let's say someone posts a thread about an awesome movie they just saw and you post something like:

"Yeah, I watched that video recently as well. It was a really awesome movie! I didn't really care too much for the last scene though.."

I think that would classify as a one liner as well.. most of that sentence just says something already stated and doesn't really provide something new other than "I didn't really care too much for the last scene though.." which isn't even elaborated.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
1. It would prevent spontaneity, or drastically reduce it, but I fail to see how this necessarily is a bad thing.
If hosts wish to emphasize carefully considered thought, that is a good thing. If the membership is large, no problem. But spontaneity promotes creativeness where suggestiveness is needed. That's all.
2. In what way are they self-contradictory? care to elaborate on that?
I may have gone too far in saying that. I'll have to look back on what they said. No. I'll stick with it. Look at their rule 2:

2. What does the ***** Community Expect From A Member?

We expect you to use common sense and intelligence in your posting. We ask you to "Think" before you post and ask yourself, "Is what I'm posting contain facts and valid points, and is worthy to contribute to the discussion?" We realize not everyone will get along but we expect you to debate with "respect" and not name call or show childish behavior - unless the person is indeed a wastrel and deserves your verbal punishment (use good judgment). If you can not get along with certain members we ask you to not associate with them or take your problem with them to "Private Messages." We also ask not to post "one-liners" as it is a waste of board space. Feel free to send your "one-liner" in a PM. Finally, the majority of the users here are English Speaking, so we ask you make all your posts in English so all can understand. If you wish to carry on discussions in your own language please do it by PM or e-mail.
As a general policy this sounds good. I don't know in what context these rules were laid down. Are they suggestions or do they mean strict business? IMO they are unenforceable. Therefore they must be suggestions.
Why pick on one-liners as "a waste of board space" when spam hits this in a much bigger way?
I'm not convinced "stupidity" merits banishment. I suppose it could if it were contagious. Depends on the stupidity. Terms like "idiot" and "troll" are subjective. Banning such could cause resentment and reprisals. I've seen it happen. I don't want to go into that lest I provide weapons to the "bad" guys. There is a subtlety when it comes to rules. A good forum requires a threshold membership count for survival. Make too many rules limiting membership and the forum's survival is threatened.
What is "childish behavior"? Is the entire thread, "Kill the last poster"(I may not have the exact title) childish? Oddly I find that thread relaxing. It is fun and perhaps childish. So what? Amazingly no is mean. If they were or things got mean, that would be a different story.

3. How does it destroy good things like open-mindedness? Posting thought out responses, and if you are to critique someone you must make sure you back it up using reason and logic isn't really detrimental to any open mindedness at all.. care to elaborate on that as well?
I'll only give an example as thinking this out fully is beyond the scope of this reply (my excuse). Applying terms like "troll" and "idiot" smacks of name-calling. Supposed "reason and logic" doesn't apply unless one is a scholar. It sounds more feeling to me. Want to apply reason and logic to feeling? If one buys off on reason and logic here, it can have a polarizing effect. Mindedness gets closed up.

4. Anthile would be banned yes, but so would many others here, probably me as well, hehe.
The hosts would lose good members who did one-liners. One liners have started and continued some of the best threads I've seen on this forum. I'd ask the hosts to re-consider though they may have been well-intended. I've been on bulletin boards where a banning game was played. It ruins the board as fairness issues arise and resentment if your friend was banned. Fighting with management is not a good thing and one must be a polite guest.

5. Smart people can do stupid things, but I don't think they have a problem with that. If you make a habit making a fool out of yourself, or continually post foolish things however, that's when measures are taken I believe.
This is an interesting one. How does a smart person make a habit of being a fool? One can let this take its natural course. Will the thread be self-policing or will management have to step in? Is the smart person asking for help? If management steps in, will it be too early? I've seen a couple threads where controversial things were happening. Before I could think out what I wanted to say, the thread was closed. That could be my problem -- I arrived too late, but this is an example.

Yeah, they are really serious :) I wouldn't like that strict of a rule set myself.. as it would kinda ruin the nice laid back atmosphere we have here.. but seeing the overall quality of their posts, I can't say that the rules don't do their job.
This is a wonderful forum.:) Threads are started and they call out for people's thoughts. I say there will be issues or problems. Deal with them and we may learn something. INTP's oddly seem to get along.:angel: Perhaps the non-INTP's get in one's face more.:twisteddevil: Did I say "Face"?:confused:

Mondorius

Oh..?
Local time
-->
On a similar topic, on forums who do not enforce that kind of rule, how do you guys react to ignorant or hateful or otherwise useless replies you can get on forums?

I'm asking because recently I've been more active on a number of forums and gotten some really annoying replies sometimes.

I'm kind of torn because on one hand, it's annoying and I like to point out that sort of thing. Not to mention that I have a bit of an angry atttitude these days and it's direspectful. But the flip side is that answering those "only feeds the troll", is as pointless as the useless comment you're responding to and does feel a bit childish.

Top Bottom