• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • See https://www.intpforum.com/threads/upgrade-at-10-am-gmt.27631/

General theme of some movies/shows

lightfire

MUSHROOM PATROL
Local time
Yesterday, 20:26
Why do a lot of movies or TV shows have this plot that builds to a militaristic "great war" happening to determine the outcome of life (in the show/movie)?

Doesn't matter the genre or theme or anything really, there's just always an "us" and "them", and no other solution other than a "war" to overcome. I also notice an obsession with the apocalypse.

I was just wondering what you all think.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday, 14:26
It makes storytelling easier, the plot of a story is an almost continuous escalation of events towards some deeply meaningful climax but real people don't escalate situations, instead real people do everything they can to deescalate and avoid conflicts. To overcome this writers frame a personal conflict between characters within a larger conflict, not necessarily a war but a war is the perfect example. It gives the writer a excuse to contrive situations that force characters into conflict with each other without those circumstances seeming contrived.

For example there's a family of refugees fleeing the conflict (because there's a war) supplies are running low (because there's a war) and they're currently unable to obtain more (because there's a war) so they're trying to ration what they have but the mother is pregnant and needs more food or else risks losing the baby. They have to choose between stretching the rations thin which will likely kill the baby, not to mention severely weaken the mother, or allow her an adequate amount and risk running out of food altogether unless they can find some more in the next few days.

As time passes whatever choice is made the situation naturally escalates until the climax of the movie when the mother goes into labor which coincides with the conflict catching up with them, forcing the father to go out and seek medical supplies (taking them from dead and dying men) in other words confronting the external crisis (the war) to resolve his personal crisis (caring for his wife).

Or if you're lazy the characters have both personal conflicts with each other and stakes in the external conflict so they're active participants in the whatever war.

lightfire

MUSHROOM PATROL
Local time
It makes storytelling easier, the plot of a story is an almost continuous escalation of events towards some deeply meaningful climax but real people don't escalate situations, instead real people do everything they can to deescalate and avoid conflicts. To overcome this writers frame a personal conflict between characters within a larger conflict, not necessarily a war but a war is the perfect example.
It's pretty weird but I've always enjoyed the shows or movies before there's that great war kinda thing, and then things start seeming forced/unnatural

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
Today, 03:26
Because a lot of people enjoy the feels that come with it and with increasingly advanced special effects you can create pretty badass scenery for those who enjoy that?

Feeling something is badass can be a distinct type of feel people enjoy. Kinda like how some people enjoy tragedy, romance or plot twists. It gives a certain type of feel some people might want. Not because they are stupid or low class, but because they seek that specific type of feel due to enjoyment. Kinda like some do extreme sports to chase that type of feel. As emotional beings, we sometimes enjoy feeling certain type of feels, and we seek out that which give us those types of feels. Thats a lot of usage of the word feel, but whatever. People do seek that often, whether it's the nice feel of something being logically consistent, whether it's feeling they learned something new or gained new insight, whether they were able to put something into an intellectual context, whether it's sexual satisfaction, whether it fulfilled a personal desire (like revenge, being the hero) or whatever. The spectrum is huge.

Apocalyptic movies are probably more entertaining with better special effects, but also people like to be unnerved sometimes, by something dark that could happen

lightfire

MUSHROOM PATROL
Local time
Lolol I know.

It's a pattern I've noticed in movies or TV shows. Ofcourse there's the factor of excitement and feels, but is that really the only way to get people to be into a show.

Not gonna lie, I totally enjoy shows like it, but I do question my enjoyment too.

That mindset of war to be the only solution for greatness to prosper seems a bit careless and maybe even dangerous. Maybe I'm thinking too much into it, maybe this was more of a random thought than a thread idea lol.

onesteptwostep

Think.. Be... ..buzz buzz :)
Local time
Today, 10:26
Maybe it's because war unites people? It brings the audience into the conflict.

Pizzabeak

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday, 18:26
Is it that, TV changed when “Orange Is the New Black” came out in 2013? Or that “The Walking Dead” is considered a “sequel” to “Breaking Bad” and “Malcom in the Middle”?
Maybe it's because war unites people? It brings the audience into the conflict.
Is it because someone probably jokingly or selfishly said “all is fair in love and war” and you took it so serious you can’t think for yourself? Stop acting like an American. Anything unites people, especially the aftermath of “war”, so why focus exclusively on that?

Top Bottom