• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Greetings from A'Straiya

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
Today 5:14 PM
-->
G'day,

I'm new to this forum and decided to join because my contemplative mind, which I have been suppressing for ages has recently risen up and taken control of me again. I like it. I find this forum provides me contemplative fuel, so I decided to join it after occasionally lurking for a couple years.

I've known my type since 2008 (INTP of course) and recently found myself exploring it more and more (sparked by some significant changes in my life as of late).

You'll increasingly see me around these forums from here on in.

So please feel free to ask of me any questions you may have. I'm pretty open and will likely answer almost anything.

Basic Info:
Type: INTP

TimeAsylums

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 12:14 AM
-->
Welcome here then!

An Architect(INTP) in Architecture. Nice ;)

So what made you choose your name, "Happy?"

Pyropyro

Magos Biologis
Local time
Today 2:14 PM
-->
G'day,

I'm new to this forum and decided to join because my contemplative mind, which I have been suppressing for ages has recently risen up and taken control of me again. I like it. I find this forum provides me contemplative fuel, so I decided to join it after occasionally lurking for a couple years.

I've known my type since 2008 (INTP of course) and recently found myself exploring it more and more (sparked by some significant changes in my life as of late).

You'll increasingly see me around these forums from here on in.

So please feel free to ask of me any questions you may have. I'm pretty open and will likely answer almost anything.

Basic Info:
Type: INTP

Welcome Happy!

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
-->
Welcome here then!

An Architect(INTP) in Architecture. Nice ;)

So what made you choose your name, "Happy?"

When I first discovered I was INTP, that was also my first thought. Type was no basis for that decision though, it was what I knew I wanted to do from a young age. It turns out it was the right choice, as I really can't picture myself in any other career. Believe me, I've tried.

As for the screen name, it's not that interesting a story. Its the result of a gradual contraction of an old screen name. I like it better this way.

I was going to choose Architect as a screen name, but it was taken...

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
-->

Hayyel

Local time
Today 8:14 AM
-->
Yeah :p I'm curious what kind of architecture you are into. Meaning, what will you focus on mostly? Homes, Industrial buildings, ecological stuff? What do you find more interesting and more of a challenge?

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
-->
Yeah :p I'm curious what kind of architecture you are into. Meaning, what will you focus on mostly? Homes, Industrial buildings, ecological stuff? What do you find more interesting and more of a challenge?

Residential/Commercial. I find appeal in residential because of the intense connection of a client to a project. I feel the architecture takes on more of a meaning to someone. I find the commercial field appealing because I have an intense interest in the interaction of people in public spaces. I believe the most successful architecture is in places where an abundance of people dwell, not because its a beautiful place, but has a quality that keeps people there. I find that idea a little difficult to express. Jan Gehl (Danish architect) explains it best in the book Cities for People.

Back on the topic of residential, I also have a desire to work on 'green' projects. This incorporates concepts such as passive heating/cooling, renewable energies, rainwater harvesting, permaculture, reducing embodied energy, etc.

All architecture is challenging. Wait, I'll rephrase that. All good architecture is challenging.

This is all pretty general though, to go into detail, I'd have to write an essay. In the end, I'm going to be happy, as long as I get to spend my time solving problems. I like a challenge.

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
-->

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
-->
I think they're a good example of a design concept being taken too far. I don't feel the spaces within them would be too enjoyable to inhabit. In saying that, I've never visited one, and the funny thing about architecture is that pictures can never do justice to spatial quality. (In saying that though, I don't think I could ever be fond of them)

Hayyel

Local time
Today 8:14 AM
-->
how about their security? would they hold out in case of strong winds or rain?

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
-->
Security would be like anything else, really. Although, you may be more susceptible to people tunnelling their way into your house (the end of Shawshank Redemption in reverse)
I doubt they would, because who would want to tunnel into a house - or even break into a dirt house at all for that matter?

Strong winds wouldn't be much of a problem, so long as everything is anchored well. I imagine a waterproof barrier would exist between the tires and outer side of the berm.

loveofreason

echoes through time
Local time
Yesterday 7:14 PM
-->
Student of Architecture in Melbourne. Lucky bastard :D

Welcome, from A'Straiya.

Jan Gehl did a nice little report for our city not that long ago. You can be sure it will be somehow lost in the disgusting merchantile games, political corruption and addiction to mediocrity that is a hallmark of our perpetual failure to create truly beautiful public spaces.

I'm a Christopher Alexander-o-phile. Soon to qualify as a town planner with foucauldian sympathies, if I can be assed to finish the last unit. In theory also a permaculture designer, but I found people too frustrating to work with. A whole design... does not work if you apply only one piece. And change it.

Which is why the real world drives me nuts. These human things seem to thrive on disease. The reciprocal manifestation of misshapen forms - in habitat and in mind and in body... perplexes me. Never-the-less... accepting they (we :confused:) are content in pain allows me to shrug and be happy. Sometimes.

Other days I fantasize about walking through town with a rocket launcher.

Given: good design can increase our mental wellbeing. It's a rather obvious connection. But neglected. What gives you the optimism that (good) design can win ground from poorly motivated power games?

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
Other days I fantasize about walking through town with a rocket launcher.
Want one?

Got no HE (obviously) but model rockets and flammable aerosol make great fireballs :D

Pneumatic launcher fires a foam sabot with an electronically ignited custom hobbyist rocket inside, the the rocket itself has the aerosol can on the front and a little jabber just behind it so when the can hits the target the jabber tipped rocket punctures it, the punctured can explosively decompresses the gas over the rocket exhaust, there's a second delay (assumedly for the gas to warm up) then BOOM really impressive sound and fireball, which isn't really hot enough to ignite anything else and the blast, though visually impressive isn't strong enough for any worthwhile concussive affect, also there's rarely any shrapnel.

Great for scarring scaring the neighbours and getting in lots of trouble.

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
-->
What gives you the optimism that (good) design can win ground from poorly motivated power games?

I have no idea if this is a series of tangents, or if its a discussion leading to a question. Either way, I enjoyed the read and I will answer this.

I hold no optimism that good design can succeed through power games. In fact I hold no optimism for the future of good building design, based on aforementioned power games. My art is a dying one. I can only hope that my future architectural contributions can provide some relief.

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
-->
Want one?

Got no HE (obviously) but model rockets and flammable aerosol make great fireballs :D

Pneumatic launcher fires a foam sabot with an electronically ignited custom hobbyist rocket inside, the the rocket itself has the aerosol can on the front and a little jabber just behind it so when the can hits the target the jabber tipped rocket punctures it, the punctured can explosively decompresses the gas over the rocket exhaust, there's a second delay (assumedly for the gas to warm up) then BOOM really impressive sound and fireball, which isn't really hot enough to ignite anything else and the blast, though visually impressive isn't strong enough for any worthwhile concussive affect, also there's rarely any shrapnel.

Great for scarring scaring the neighbours and getting in lots of trouble.

One thing I love about this forum is that following a thread can be about as cohesive as a Ross Noble show.

loveofreason

echoes through time
Local time
-->
Oh Coggy... your heart's in the right place, but I want to take down buildings....

I have no idea if this is a series of tangents, or if its a discussion leading to a question. Either way, I enjoyed the read and I will answer this.

Hmm.. you know, neither do I. Live ambiguity! Could be anything.

I hold no optimism that good design can succeed through power games. In fact I hold no optimism for the future of good building design, based on aforementioned power games. My art is a dying one. I can only hope that my future architectural contributions can provide some relief.

*crestfallen*

Actually, my brush with town planning convinced me there is no hope for reason in a game where reason is defined by the dominant power. But I still dream of a different built environment. I had hope that perhaps you had hope for the future you pursue. I think some people are touched and can't help but design... but how to turn those designs into reality?

I've reached the conclusion that becoming wealthy and developing real estate is the only way to create the vision. One project at a time.

In the interest of knowing whether your future architectural contributions might provide some relief... can you describe or post pictures that encapsulate your experience of beautiful urban and architectural design?

Happy

sorry for english
Local time
-->
I promise I will reply to this properly, its just something that takes some thought, and I've been working on a project 14 hours a day for 3 weeks now, and still have some time left on it. Soo, I'll get back to this after my projects and exams are out of the way.

Magus

Local time
Today 6:14 AM
-->
Hey there, good to see another Australian.

I'm based in Sydney/Canberra. Also a uni student, law, sadly, but soon science. :p

Top Bottom