• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Have you ever been wrong?

thatsummer

Local time
Today 11:00 AM
-->
Describe a moment when you've been completely wrong.

I've been wrong many times, but 9/10 times it is bc I misinterpret the objective. What about ya'll?

Nocturne

Vesper.
Local time
Today 9:00 AM
-->
Oh, me? Nah. I am darn perfect.
(>.<)

GYX_Kid

randomly floating abyss built of bricks
Local time
Today 5:00 PM
-->
My entire life

(yeah misinterpreting the objective, or just not really being in sync with the root goal when it comes down to it, is often the case)

Mello

Gone.
Local time
-->
Wrong?

My logic is perfect, therefore I can never be wrong.

Well, there was that one time I set my butterfly knife on fire. It wasn't wrong though, it was just a bad(great) idea.

Darby

New(ish)
Local time
-->
YES, YES, YES, and YES.

The only notable one was when I bet some kid in fifth grade that my right was in fact the part of my body that, when facing north, would be on the west side of myself. I lost by saying "I'm right handed, and I write with this side!" Pointing to my left hand. I then proceeded to pick up a pen with my actual right hand and as soon as my pen touched paper I realized I should just kill myself now before my life gets any worse. I also successfully lost $5 that day, and lost all desire to bet on anything ever again. As well as gained knowledge on how to tell which side is my right (HINT: it's not the side I chose, therefore it's the other one).

Just curious did anyone else here have problems telling right from left when they were younger?

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
Today 6:00 PM
-->
Relative Direction

There has been speculation that the right-left thingy isn't innate with humans as they would orientate themselves after land marks and cardinal directions.

------

Does there exist a human who has never been wrong?

thatsummer

Local time
-->
Just curious about the nature of the mistake. I somewhat pride myself in the fact that I make lots of careless errors but very few logical ones. If I do make a logical error, it is always a misinterpretation of the objective.

For instance, my mother told me when I was little I could do anything. What she really meant was I could do anything as long as she was okay with it. I misinterpreted "anything", and in her mind I am a complete failure.

The same goes with school. They told me they wanted me to learn, think, be creative, and explore... What they really mean was they wanted me to learn what they know, think how they think, create what they like, and explore where they have been... Ironic.

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
-->
Just curious did anyone else here have problems telling right from left when they were younger?

I still have that problem. -_-

---

Yeah, goal-recognition is definitely one of the root causes of most of my mistakes. I organize the things inside the box without sufficient awareness if I'm inside the right box or not. Goal is vision is perception and perception is Pi, tertiary Pi.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 12:00 PM
-->
My reasoning is typically good, it's just that sometimes I don't have the right assumptions / information to work with and so I come to bad conclusions. It's frustrating sometimes because I am consciously examining my assumptions and still occasionally get blind-sided by something I had vetted and was pretty sure it was accurate... but nope, I was wrong.

It typically can create problems in pattern-mapping... like maybe feeling like I have a good sense of someone, but then having unknowingly misunderstood some factor at play in their personality or mislabeled it, and then I get hit by something unexpected from them, and I have to recalibrate.

I never had trouble with right/left/the other right.

Darby

New(ish)
Local time
-->
I honestly really dislike being wrong, and generally feel stupid when I defend something that I later find to not make sense. This has caused me to be avoidant during discussions, as I tend to question the foundations of the discussion rather than the discussion topic itself. I have an INTJ friend who HATES this, because I have no stand on anything, I'm too flexible when it comes to discussions, fighting for the opposite just long enough so that when I convince him, I can still switch and piss him off more (quite fun actually).

I'm not sure if this inability to firmly take a stance is really created out of a fear of being wrong, but I think it plays a part. Some topics I don't even bother getting into discussions about. I think the correct choice is obvious, so why talk about it? I have no desire to correct people on their beliefs.

eagor

Senior Executive Lab Monkey
Local time
Today 4:00 PM
-->
i'm a prize in a cereal box near you, so buy, BUY,
yes i have been wrong before, namely when i thought i could trust a friend with my car...guess how that ends.

Orja

Still a little Yellow
Local time
-->
Describe a moment when you've been completely wrong.
I've been wrong many times, but 9/10 times it is bc I misinterpret the objective. What about ya'll?

A lot lot lot. Misinterpreting the objective is a big one. Or, not bothering to fully investigate the objective because I assumed I understood it.

ust curious did anyone else here have problems telling right from left when they were younger?

Yes. Learning to drive, I had to write L and R on my hands. I still struggle. I do okay off instinct, but if I must think about it, I get often become confused.

Chronomar

NOPE
Local time
-->
Description of a moment:

I thought I understood how the equation-solving part of our multi-functional bases lab worked, and even where I didn't I was *sure* I'd be able to "figure it out later" because I'm just so smart, you know, and so didn't ask my questions right away. A group member was explaining it to everyone, but he is the "golden boy" of the department, and I guess I resent that, so I didn't stick around to listen. Just packed up and left.

It took me until the last day before the lab books were due to go to the professor and own up that I couldn't figure out what was going on in the lab's equation part.

These are the kind of mistakes I'm prone too. The, "it'll be fine tomorrow" kind.

MissQuote

kickin' at a tin can
Local time
-->
I am wrong a lot.

I am not nearly as bothered by being wrong as I am by being causally dismissed as wrong. If I am wrong then show me why, if you have a strong logical basis for disagreeing with me (or even a subjective basis that takes details I had not accounted for but that influence the outcome in a highly meaningful manor) and if you are able to display that it is stronger and based in better assumptions and facts than what I have been going on then I would like this information. But to be dismissed without knowing all of my facts and assumption and without giving yours is enough for me to lose most of my desire to interact with a person.

xbox

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 5:00 AM
-->

I still have that problem. :slashnew:

MissQuote

kickin' at a tin can
Local time
-->
I don't give my opinion very often because I usually do not have one that is strong enough to bother. I have ideas about why certain things are, but actual defined opinions worth pushing not as much.

So the dismissal thing really gets to me. If I am actually expressing and idea I agree with (rather than one I am exploring), or even more an opinion (conclusion), I have likely put an obscene amount of thought into it. To be thoughtlessly dismissed by the person I am opening up for is quite irksome- to say the least.

I don't know why I am talking about this- I guess the idea of being wrong brings to mind how often I have had my thoughts automatically dismissed by others before they bothered to understand them at all. How often I have been told I am wrong without even having been heard out, let alone being given reasonable counterpoints to my assertions.

LPolaright

Mentalist
Local time
Today 7:00 PM
-->
I am never wrong for long. Thanking my definitions, for being dynamic and in a state of constant change.

kora

Omg wow imo
Local time
-->
Only idiot's never change their minds. Yes, I am wrong a fair amount. I usually argue a point of view quite ferociously, then realize some of the facts I have based my entire argument on were inaccurate. Then I'm right after that (I hope).

thatsummer

Local time
-->
I am wrong a lot.

I am not nearly as bothered by being wrong as I am by being causally dismissed as wrong. If I am wrong then show me why, if you have a strong logical basis for disagreeing with me (or even a subjective basis that takes details I had not accounted for but that influence the outcome in a highly meaningful manor) and if you are able to display that it is stronger and based in better assumptions and facts than what I have been going on then I would like this information. But to be dismissed without knowing all of my facts and assumption and without giving yours is enough for me to lose most of my desire to interact with a person.

I completely agree. Being proven wrong sucks, but being dismissed boils my blood. I love a good debate.

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
One time I was wrong about being wrong. That sent everyone into a hearty laughing jag. :o

Irishpenguin

Local time
-->

pshhh, just this week, I was playing a friend with my friend backseat playing, went something like this

Friend: Dude take a left right up here by the cliff

Me: *Takes a right and falls off the cliff*

Friend: Dude what the fuck I said left!?!?! YOU DO THIS EVERY GODDAMN TIME! D:<

Me: ...shuddaps >.<

-----------------------------------------

and yes I have been wrong plenty of times, and like someone else said, one of the times I was dead wrong deterred me from betting...I bet a friend once just to give him confidence to ramp off a bridge in a game once and escape the cops....turns out out it was the wrong bridge :phear:

cerebedlam

Local time
-->
It's a running joke betwixt meself, friends and family...I am known to NEVER be wrong - - like ever, about anything...That's just saying that I'm very used to winning arguments....And, I don't think that a cynical/realist INTP could be ever really be wrong...'bout anything...That is, if he/she knows, holds the majority of the facts or variables going into whatever topic it is at hand...Then they have to hold the 'factual'...i.e. 'right' position...every time...

I've entered countless convos with 'Feeling' and 'Sensing' types where they just talk out da ass endlessly, relying on their 'feelings' on every matter, or some half-hearted, loosely-held belief, instead of the objective facts on hand...I'll usually hammer home the point, attacking from every angle, dismantling falsely held beliefs and forcing concession by the other party...

But, ya know what they say - "A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still."....On the rare occassion that I do jump the gun and make a call on something that turns out to be entirely wrong, I am the first person to OPENLY AND HONESTLY state that I was wrong on the issue...I actually welcome the experience...It means that I'm still mostly human, and only partly divine...j/k.

intpz

Banned
Local time
-->
I've been wrong a couple of times, mostly at the time when I didn't care enough to check the information I was provided by someone who seemed smarter than a usual guy, but after that I started checking everything. Someone tells me something, bullshit, I'm not believing it until I make sure that he/she is correct.

However, I am often said to be wrong, as people surrounding me have their beliefs, whether misinformation or imagination. Most of them also believe in rules and traditions, so going against that is also "wrong," therefore I'm considered to be an idiot and a failure around here.

C.J_Finn

Local time
-->
Not even once.

Seriously though, I am wrong quite a bit, but this is normally because I overlook things that may prove me wrong.

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
People who claim to never be wrong either are omnipotent alien creatures with preternatural prescience or full of baloney. Alternatively, they could well just be dim, in which case the latter categorization may be apt. The more intellectual chances and speculations taken, the higher the probability those conjectures will be disproven by time. That doesn't mean the idea itself wasn't genius. Playing it safe is a way to be right more often, but it's also a fantastic way to fail over the long haul.

Cogwulf

Is actually an INTJ
Local time
-->
Sometimes in the middle of writing or explaining long arguments, I realise I am wrong right in the middle. What I often do in this situation is subtly change the direction of my argument to make it look like I was right all along.

Most of the time when I notice I am wrong, it's because of a "brain fart", i.e. just some tiny detail or assumption or something that I originally missed for an unfathomable reason.

{edit: I was sure this place used to have the strikeout code}

Top Bottom