• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

HBO's "In Treatment"

Himself

The Mad Stork
Local time
Today 8:29 AM
-->
I'm throwing this out there because I'm hoping I'm not the only one who's seen this marvelous show. If ever there was a TV show made for INTPs, In Treatment might be it.

Maybe I'm too eager to generalize this all out to the rest of my fellow INTPs because I've been in therapy myself and can strongly identify with both Paul and the patients struggling through the process, but here's how I see it. Each episode is (roughly) 30 minutes of people talking -- something that would horrify other types but strongly appeals to the highly intellectual NT.

Furthermore, we learn about these patients at the same rate and in the same way as Paul does: it's as if we're a fly on the wall in the room of a real psychotherapy session (granted, the portrayal is drama-ed up a bit at times for the sake of TV, but it's still pretty damn accurate in many respects). Thus, the viewer's mind is rushing along with Paul's, simultaneously analyzing causal relationships and what's left unsaid. And because Paul's ultimate task is diagnosis, we learn how the baffling range of emotions these people feel actually fit into their underlying problems, giving the INTP's malnourished Fe much-needed data (and in a format conducive to analysis, no less) for future use.

If you haven't seen it yet, don't let its status as a premium-cable show stop you from watching. Sites like SideReel are good resources for finding streaming links, and there are torrents of both seasons out there for the copyright-averse. Hopefully I get someone else here hooked in time for Season 3, due later this year!

RubberDucky451

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 4:29 PM
-->
I've never heard of it although it sounds really interesting. I do watch a bit of HBO (The Wire,Rome,Curb Your Enthusiasm). I'll probably check this out once I finish season 3 of the wire.

Vegard Pompey

Local time
Today 5:29 PM
-->
Hm, this show was made by a guy named Levi, that's awesome. You have attracted my interest and I just finished Prison Break (which was altogether pretty bad, but the character of T-Bag kept me watching) so I might look into it.

reprographist

Emilynd
Local time
-->
I've seen it. I enjoy it, but it's not my favorite.

shoeless

I AM A WIZARD
Local time
-->
fantastic show. one of my favorites.

i have nothing more to add to that, but, yeah.

it's just so... i don't know, human.

ckm

still swimming
Local time
-->
I found Paul frustrating, though I only watched the first ten episodes or so. His demeanour seemed unsuitable for a psychotherapist, though I of course can only compare him to my experience of psychotherapy. Obviously they had to make him "human" though.

snafupants

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 10:29 AM
-->
I watched all 44 episodes of season 1. Loved it. Is season 2 out yet yall?

Latro

Local time
Today 11:29 AM
-->
I watched all 44 episodes of season 1. Loved it. Is season 2 out yet yall?
Didn't season 2 just end recently?

Anyway I really liked most of season 1 but I stopped keeping up with it near the end of season 1 and haven't caught up since. Great show though.

CBadfeather

Local time
Today 10:29 AM
-->
Im really into season 1 right now. Love it. If you're one of those intp's that reads Jung I think you'd probably like it

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
I need to start watching it again. i had only watched the first few episodes but really enjoyed it. Good acting too. Hey, and set here in Baltimore too. ;) (well, at least season 1.)

Mxx

Local time
-->
This show was initially just my cup of tea (oh to be a fly on the wall in other people's therapy sessions), but Paul's own blindspots, projections and rationalizations started to really annoy me, and just couldn't stomach watching anymore.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
This show was initially just my cup of tea (oh to be a fly on the wall in other people's therapy sessions), but Paul's own blindspots, projections and rationalizations started to really annoy me, and just couldn't stomach watching anymore.

I've kind of dropped, then picked up, then dropped, then picked up... back and forth over the months.

I just started trying to finish off the final week of Season 2.

Acting is superb. But yeah, Paul can be really irritating -- seems like an e1 type (1w2?). The way he rages at Gina all the time really annoys me, and she finally tells him off at the end of the Season 2, strongly.

But he's as human as everyone else, and I guess this is how he cleanses himself. He seems to store up a lot of anger that he doesn't like to take out on his patients, so it gets dumped on HIS therapist.

Mxx

Local time
-->
But he's as human as everyone else, and I guess this is how he cleanses himself. He seems to store up a lot of anger that he doesn't like to take out on his patients, so it gets dumped on HIS therapist.

Yeah, I don't get why I'm not more forgiving with him as I am with so many of my favourite flawed characters (like Walter White/Breaking Bad, Don Draper/Mad Men, or even the crew in It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia).

Maybe it's his sanctimonious attitude?

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Yeah, I don't get why I'm not more forgiving with him as I am with so many of my favourite flawed characters (like Walter White/Breaking Bad, Don Draper/Mad Men, or even the crew in It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia).

Maybe it's his sanctimonious attitude?

I know one thing that does not sit well with me is pervasive judgmentalism, and Paul's got that in spades. Inside he's always judging, and then waving his finger around outwardly, and arguing why something isn't his fault. In a way, sometimes he can come across as if he's creating a victim out of himself in order to accuse others.

I can tolerate some things better than others, but that's one thing that I don't deal well with --- my natural mindset is self-examination and trying to embrace my own faults, as part of remaining autonomous. He kind of infantilizes himself by doing this. Ugh.

Parody and purposefully awful people can be amusing, because it still acknowledges that the people are awful. And I kind of view Walter White as a Shakespearean tragedy.... he gave in to his own vices for power and it destroys him and the people around him.

Paul's story deals more directly with self-enlightenment as the outcome, and for a shrink who tries to be very supportive of his patients, he has such a blind spot towards himself... or he might be aware but is so angry/hurt that he keeps pushing it away.

Top Bottom