• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Hey ! Why isn't Dissonance beautiful?

BurnedOut

Beloved Antichrist
Local time
Today 1:55 PM
-->
DISCLAIMER : Not promoting by shittyass guitar playing skills in any way.

My recent discovery on how dissonance can be consonant too. The philosophy of heavy metal and the charming chasm between the traditional harmony and the atonal one. Sadly, I had to encrypt the binary data into an MP3. It's improvisation on most part.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lQN9C-OHRqRRdoqasxt8237vVM3ej1X_/view?usp=drivesdk

PS : please be a little less harsh on the critiquing. It's only been like 1.4 years and no practice at all

travelnjones

Local time
Today 1:25 AM
-->
Voivod's piggy was famous for using dissonant chords

Ex-User (9086)

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 9:25 AM
-->
Why isn't Dissonance beautiful?
Loaded question? Dissonance is used universally to create music and evoke emotions. Music wouldn't be beautiful without it.

If you consider the basic harmonic element such as the cadence. Which is a collection of two or more chords used to resolve a phrase. Resolution, which is a key concept in music, is based on the idea of leaving the tension created by the dissonance to a stable consonance.

Probably the most popular chord progression in western music uses the I V vi IV chords of a key which has the perfect cadence of V to I.

Perfect cadence involves a shift from the dissonant tritone interval/chord to a major third.

Examples
It isn't uncommon for pop music to rely entirely on 4 chords with minor chromatic embelishments.

That said, there are genres of music as well as specific artists on average using more dissonance or more tension than the bare minimum.
Insert any other genre (jazz, classical, metal, etc.)

There are more ways to create tension than harmonic dissonance, repetition, duration, rhythmic disruption, sound distortion and other methods can be used to create or change expectation or the mood.

QuickTwist

Spiritual "Woo"
Local time
Today 3:25 AM
-->
I think this is my favorite "dissonance" that is music related:

4:52-5:19 (27 sec)

washti

yo vengo para lo mío
Local time
Today 10:25 AM
-->
if you want ppl listen to your music put it on yt or vimeo. you making access difficult and it's looking like attempt to collecting emails.

aiyanah

_aded
Local time
Today 10:25 AM
-->
any sound can technically be beautiful when fit into a composition.
i had a band mate who was really good with pauses for some reason, he knew just the right spot to insert a pause in a song, and for how long and which section to return to the melody with.
this is a science i still don't understand.

another one really liked arpeggios, particularly of a "sweeping" nature, i still wonder if he's an alien to this day.
ugliest sounds made beautiful that i've heard most recently is dubstep, metal got nothing on it imo (and then trivium drops another album)

Local time
Today 9:25 AM
-->
As much as any inherent value of the music itself, it depends on the definition of beauty.

Take this song, right at the very end is what can be described as a blood-curdling scream. In isolation I doubt anyone would call it beautiful, but in it's place at the end of this track at the end of the album, and after just the right pause (the pause itself is important as Aiyanah said), it changes the entire listening experience in a really special way.

moody

Local time
Today 1:25 AM
-->
Take a music theory class, you may find it interesting. What is “dissonant” and “consonant” can be considered extremely subjective to your culture. We have certain conditioned emotional responses to sounds from brith, thus kids growing up in western cultures with classical and/or pop music know major chords to be “happy” and minor chords to be “sad.” Like mentioned before, the common set up of how our music is written is programmed essential as Tonic-Predominant-Dominant-Tonic, an example being the I-IV-V-I chord progression mentioned above and used in most pop songs. In more complex works of music, this format of stable-unstable-stable is expanded upon in innumerable ways. The purpose is to give something knew to something we heard before—balance of familiar and unfamiliar that all music aims to perfect.
Some cultures (I forget which ones) consider intervals and harmonies involving diminish intervals and tritones as more stable than major or minor chords due to what is familiar and stable to them.
There is a music theorist who strongly believes the source of conflict in the world is our improper method of tuning. It makes us angry and we can’t stand it, so we fight. Now THAT’S actually very interesting.
Beauty is in the eye (or ear) of the beholder. For something to be beautiful though, it usually has to have familiarity; otherwise our lack of understanding or realization blocks any beauty that may otherwise be perceived.

Top Bottom