• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.

Hosts File...

Ragnar

A Master From Germany
Local time
Today, 03:50
Last month I wondered if there was any way to make a hosts file that would only knock out personalised ads. They are all decadent capitalism, but it's the filthy little trackers that are the main problem.

So no, doesn't seem to be such a list of domains, but I did find out that the wretched Chrome ( or Chromium ) browser does not respect the hosts file, which is very basically at the core of net standards, because Google thinks 'Fuck You' when it thinks of it's users --- and also that when you click on Ad Choices for a Condé Nast publication, in this case Ars Technica, it sends you to their ridiculous and deceitful attempt to wriggle out of the GDPR : Privacy , 10 pages of nonsensical rambling, which includes these 3 delights...

If you don't agree to the terms contained in this User Agreement and Privacy Policy, you must immediately exit the Service.

• WE SHALL NOT BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY THIRD PARTIES FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES ALLEGEDLY SUSTAINED ARISING OUT OF THE AGREEMENT, THE SERVICE, THE SALE, PURCHASE, RECEIPT, USE OR MISUSE OF ANY PRODUCT, YOUR ABILITY OR INABILITY TO ACCESS, VISIT AND/OR USE THE SERVICE OR ANY PRODUCT, INCLUDING DAMAGE TO YOUR DEVICE, OR FOR SOFTWARE DISABLING DEVICES, TIME BOMBS, VIRUSES, WORMS, BUGS, OR DEVICES OR DEFECTS OF SIMILAR NATURE ALLEGED TO HAVE BEEN OBTAINED FROM THE SERVICE, YOUR ACCESS, VISITATION, AND/OR USE OF, OR RELIANCE ON, THE SERVICE OR ANY OF THE PRODUCTS

• Do Not Track (DNT). Your browser setting may allow you to automatically transmit a “Do Not Track” (DNT) signal to websites and online services that you visit. There is no consensus among industry participants as to what DNT means in this context, and some browsers automatically apply DNT signals by default and therefore do not necessarily reflect our visitors’ choice as to whether they wish to receive advertisements tailored to their interests. As a result, like many websites and online services, we do not alter our practices when the Service receives a DNT signal from a visitor’s browser. As discussed below, you may opt out of the use of your Data for online behavioral advertising by third parties at any time. To find out more about DNT, please visit http://allaboutdnt.com.

In other words they refuse to honour DNT. Because they are fuckers.

Note Condé Nast is in no way related to the Great Condé, foe of Turenne.

Americans really don't know how much they are spied on: recent screaming about the GDPR coming to take 20 million euro from every tiny site, and the on-going blocking of EU visitors unless ( or sometimes not even if ) they sign loyalty oaths, fail to mention that one web-page has up from 70+ trackers ( including those single pixel beacons ), and that lately in The Register it was pointed out that the difference between the regular page and the reduced page for EU visitors of USA Today is striking...

Because of #GDPR, USA Today decided to run a separate version of their website for EU users, which has all the tracking scripts and ads removed. The site seemed very fast, so I did a performance audit. How fast the internet could be without all the junk!
5.2MB → 500KB pic.twitter.com/xwSqqsQR3s

Still I found the motherlode of Host Files, Steven Black's Unified, with 50k domains. Here's GitHub with installation instructions.

But for quick non-auto-updating use I just grabbed the Hosts itself and copied and pasted the contents into my own Hosts File with Kate, using sudo privileges, See attachment if you want that.

Of course for techies, there's always Pi-Hole, Linux only, just think that's a lot of router work...

And, by the way, we now have nested quotes...

__jeanne_d_arc_and_jeanne_d_arc_fate_apocrypha_fate_grand_order_and_fate_series_drawn_by_beni_...jpg

Attachments

Top Bottom