• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

How an INFP would become an INTP, or vice versa

brain enclosed in flesh

Local time
Today 12:13 AM
-->
This is a theory-of -sorts which came to mind last night. I don’t know if something like this already exists, but this is just how I thought of it, triggered by two questions:

1. How could an INFP mistake herself for being an INTP?
2. Could this change in personality be the by-product of a nervous breakdown/ bipolar episode?

So here is:

How an INFP would become an INTP:

INFP: Fi Ne Si Te (Decide to make changes)
ENFP: Ne Fi Te Si (moving self outward too much, too fast)
ISTJ: Si Te Fi Ne (introvert as a reaction/increase in judging)
ESTJ: Te Si Ne Fi (Shadow function becomes dominant)
ESFJ: Fe Si Ne Ti[/COLOR] (Ultimate point of stress: breakdown)
ISFJ: Si Fe Ti Ne (beginning of recovery- self preservation)
ENTP: Ne Ti Fe Si (Ne brings returning feelings of ‘normal’)
INTP: Ti Ne Si Fe (similarity of normal functions/accept as self)

Obviously reverse this for an INTP moving to INFP.

In personal terms, it would go like this: I decide that I am hiding too much, revealing too little of myself, being too passive. I gorge my Ne, leading toward ENFP. However, due to jumping in too hastily, I get caught up in the unhealthy aspects, becoming too risky for the sake of feeding my Ne. With the Te moving up to the 3rd process, so come my harsh judgments of others. I focus on the judgments, and simultaneously begin to idolize the past, before my current life. Both my Si and Te increase in value, and I toss aside my Ne, no longer looking for future possibilities, but only toward the past, desiring it to be the present. I behave more like an unhealthy ISTJ, and my judgments of others increase in ferocity. My thoughts become rigid, fixed. Everything wrong is the fault of others, while I am right. I make sure to let the others know- My shadow function, ESTJ, rears its ugly head.

Everything falls apart. I am abandoned. I suddenly become aware that I am completely alone and I have screwed everything up. Everyone hates me. My opinions and internal values were obviously wrong. I can no longer trust myself. I must reach out to others for salvation, because I am faulty- ESFJ. The only way to do this is to please everyone else, because my needs are wrong and unimportant. I will silently work to please others, while hiding my own feelings- ISFJ.

But my feelings must be released in some way. I know this. I do not want to risk repeating what happened in the recent past. I write to release, and with writing comes the return of my Ne, but this time I am approaching matters intellectually, trying to understand why things happened the way they did. I spend so much time writing, my Ne becomes my dominant function- ENTP. Things seem to be going well, but all is not right. Something is wrong, and I need to find a way to improve my writing, refine it, make sure the point/theory is valid. I get caught up in introverted thinking, and become more of an INTP, where I stay in self-preservation mode, because it feels safe and unemotional here. I feel stable for the first time in years. This must be the correct, real me, I conclude.

I, of course, am wrong. I am an INFP who needs to find the safe way back to being my true self, only this time healthy and productive. I imagine the way to do this is: use the positive attributes of the other personality types which create the path back to INFP (as opposed to the negative which led me to my shadow function and breakdown).

What do others think of this? Remember, this is something I just thought of last night, so it isn’t exactly my baby and I don’t care if you tear it apart. It’s just a theory…

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 2:13 AM
-->
I wouldn't make it too complicated.

The big deal here is your primary. Either you're evaluating things from a personal standapoint (Fi) or from an impersonal one (Ti). Fi is interested in the value that YOU assign to something -- how important is it to you? -- and Ti is interested in the universal values/principles behind something and how it integrates into the larger impersonal system.

(Put another way, for an INFP, the web of connections is all within the INFP... if you swap out one INFP for another one, then chances are the web of connections will change because you've changed the individual in which they were housed. You can actually swap out one INTP for another because they all use Ne to derive universal law and connections, so they tend to come to the same conclusions if they start with the same premises.)

You have described such a complicated process, and expect yourself to somehow backwards-engineer your way through it to "get home." Why use type at all for this? It seems overly complicated. (And, honestly, it doesn't sound INTP at all to me, it's far too nitpicky and trying to be too precise for what is such a fuzzy process -- it feels more like an INFP's Te process trying to detail something that is naturally ambiguous.)

It sounds like you put yourself out there, got scared, and in the process of trying to protect yourself, ended up detaching from everything you love. You're also doing typical INFP stuff of trying to micromanage all the details of your spiritual/psychological growth. (So see, I don't think you've ever really left INFP at all, honestly.) You're actually still where you wanted to be, but instead of moving your location from INTP-land to INFP-land, you simply need to realign your insides to match where you are -- it's your insides that are all off-kilter.

So let's just look at this in intrapersonal terms:
  • You felt too passive and withdrawn from others, so you threw yourself out in the world and over-indulged.
  • To protect yourself from criticism, you criticized others and you longed for the stability of the past.
  • You get really rigid with this and even more aggressive.
  • You feel like everyone hates you and you have no one, so now you want to back way off and ingratiate yourself to others to win their approval again.
  • Since you don't want to screw up like the last time, where you extroverted too much and attracted attention, this time you are going to quietly explore yourself in your head / on paper. You like the solitude but for some reason you don't like this "you" and think it's the wrong one because you are too introverted. And... pretty much you're back to square one, aren't you? Wasn't this sort of your original problem, except now you've detached?
So let's just start over, shall we? You don't need to backtrack. Just start right where you are. What was your original problem? You felt too passive and withdrawn, so you went nuts with the world immersion and got yourself in trouble. How do you fix this? Try again, this time don't put yourself out there so far.

Remember that you see yourself not as ENFP, but INFP. Go more cautiously. Explore, but let your principles be in charge, NOT the Ne function. Your goal is not to explore every possibility, it's to build and maintain a stable value framework of the world that guides your actions, and you use Ne to feed you data about the world to hone your value system. Meanwhile, you are not obligated to be everyone's friend or be there for everyone, regardless of what they might think.

Two personal stories:
One of my best friends is an INFP with bipolar, and it almost destroyed him. He worked as an associate pastor and had a lot of pressure on him to please everyone and help everyone (and he would get rebuked if he failed to do something someone thought he should have done); eventually he had a breakdown and had to reorient his inner framework away from people-pleasing and/or helping everyone. He had to put constructive limits on his behavior because he just did not have the energy to do it all. Now he's happy and stable (and on the right meds) and he survived. But it was touch-and-go for some time. I mean, it was BAD, he almost got institutionalized over it.

I also have gone through a lot of life awakening in the last 2-3 years and went from complete social isolation to social immersion... and it was great for awhile, and I found my relational web leaping and bounding outwards ...and finally it caught up with me in the last six months and I just crashed.

I got sick a number of times and I realized how exhausted I was, and how I just needed to pace myself; I was living the life of an extrovert, but I just don't have the energy reserves for it, it drains me horribly. Basically I have had to re-explore who I am and what I can handle, and then put some brakes on my energy expenditures so that I stay on task -- yes, it is wonderful to finally be out there and engaged, but at the same time I need to keep an eye on things so I don't get carried away.

So I think if you can get back to your original problem, and this time better control how far you immerse yourself, that might be a better solution. Now, the bipolar thing: Yes, I think the sort of extreme swings you described CAN be indicative of bipolar. Is there a diagnosis or are you just considering it right now? It could be manic-style behavior, followed by withdrawal (sort of like a sun going supernova, then dropping back into a white dwarf or black hole). Maybe that's worth exploring as well.

These are just my thoughts on things that you said, so YMMV. I'm sorry they probably aren't cushioned as well as I like, but ... well, I'm tired and going to bed... so it's sort a straight uncushioned brain dump... *eep* hope it's not too messy. :)

Enne

Consistently Inconsistent
Local time
Today 6:13 AM
-->
INFP -> INTP : Being tired of being taken advantage of, trying to self protect through analyzing and ending bad relations

INTP -> INFP : Working with/loving/etc. someone who is well integrated feelings wise, working through old/strong emotions, having a collection of positive experiences relating to letting go/being accepted, etc.

I think.

brain enclosed in flesh

Local time
-->
Jennywocky- Wow, long response. Thank you for taking the time and energy. :)

First off, yes I am bipolar and yes I am meds, so don't be concerned about what I'm doing about that.

I suppose that the way I laid it out is long-winded, but it started with my thinking about the shadow, which is supposed to be ESTJ. I figured there has to be some sort of progression to it, because you don't suddenly just 'jump' to being the reverse (I don't think, anyway.) So I was charting how you would do that (nit picky, perhaps, but the whole MBTI seems fairly nitpicky to me; I was just trying to be consistent with its nitpicky-ness), and reading about the personality types, especially their weaknesses, and I couldn't help but notice how it mirrored my own experience of becoming, to an extent, a different person.

I didn't expect myself to 'backwards engineer' so much. There's no way I would expend the time and energy to do such a thing! (Not to mention, chances are I will probably forget about all of this by tomorrow.) But I do find it interesting that people will wonder, 'am I an INTP or an INFP' or 'am I an INTP or an INTJ', when in theory, it's not merely the change of one number, but actually the switch between at least two pretty different cognitive processes.

But maybe it is also me imagining changes that haven't really happened. Maybe I have been a true INFP all of this time, but just misunderstood everything. There is the fact, however, that I did go through substantial changes. This seemed to be kind of an interesting way to explain it/chart it out. Besides, the Ti and Fi functions made neat diagonal lines! :o

Razare

Local time
Today 2:13 AM
-->
Your reasoning sounds good brain, but I think I agree with Jenny and her analysis.

You might also consider working towards a well-adjusted INTP. One who recognizes and values their feelings, integrating it into their life in a logical way. This might resolve your original issue of lacking any restraint.

Really, if whatever path you take results in a happy, well adjusted person, it doesn't really matter what label we give it. It's probably going to be easier to focus on the things about yourself you want to change and finding a way to slowly do that.

snowqueen

mysteriously benevolent
Local time
-->

ESFJ: Fe Si Ne Ti[/color] (Ultimate point of stress: breakdown)

Actually I really like your analysis Brain! Not least because of the pattern you've created :)

But actually while I think the journey between INFP-ESTJ or INTP-ESFJ make sense, I think it is unlikely that the functions can be so radically changed - Fi-Fe, and Ti-Te in either the INTP or INFP. I'll return to that in a minute.

The two constants in that process are actually Ne and Si so that might be a key as to why there are similarities between INTP and INFP.

I think your own journey may be more easily understood as a journey from INFP to ESTJ and back again and I suspect the point at which you are testing as INTP is to do with the re-stabilising of the Thinking and Feeling functions. So with Te you notice your logic more obviously so you are probably responding to those particular questions about whether you use thinking or feeling in a way that is skewed towards thinking - because the feeling side is still being suppressed as ?dangerous, ?unreliable etc.

I find it interesting because my journey is very similar - except that I went the other way - because my Ti was neglected, my Fe was dominant and so I 'saw' myself as highly emotional. However I now understand that my expression of emotion was heightened while my ability to organise my internal feelings was still very poor (hence the extremes of expression). At the same time, I didn't use my Ti very effectively because it had been neglected so actually I couldn't organise my thoughts internally either! So I felt very unstable inside. And on MBTI tests I always scored as an F.

I was really struck by our similarities - as were you. I wonder if that is because we both ended up in a place where our dominant functions for organising our internal worlds were unavailable and so we saw ourselves through the way we related in the external world. I was an unusually emotional INTP and I suspect you were probably an unusually logical INFP.

But the important thing to think about is what happens when one's dominant function is not available? Is that particularly damaging? More so perhaps than if other functions are thwarted? Perhaps if the dominant function is an introverted one too? So I became sane and stable when I finally rediscovered my ability to organise my inner world using Ti - my emotions have gone right back to being untroublesome. Are you now finding that you feel more stable now that you can organise your inner world through Fi? Are your thoughts less troublesome?

brain enclosed in flesh

Local time
-->
Yeah, snow queen, I'd say that's pretty much it- especially about coming back from ESTJ. I, too, thought the journey from ESTJ- INTP was a little more nebulous, although I did become incredibly focused on other people's opinions of me vs. my own- but I suppose with my Fi losing strength (and credibility in my mind) it was pretty much guaranteed that a power vacuum of sorts would occur in my primary functions (if that makes any sense.)

Funny how we both seem to be traveling to two different points, and here we are, meeting in the middle. :)

But the important thing to think about is what happens when one's dominant function is not available? Is that particularly damaging? More so perhaps than if other functions are thwarted? Perhaps if the dominant function is an introverted one too? So I became sane and stable when I finally rediscovered my ability to organise my inner world using Ti - my emotions have gone right back to being untroublesome. Are you now finding that you feel more stable now that you can organise your inner world through Fi? Are your thoughts less troublesome?

This is what is confusing for me. I don't think I'm quite there yet- using Fi all that much. It still frightens me, I'll be honest. And I don't know, using Te in higher doses (if that's what is) makes me feel more secure. (It's still funny to think that's what it is- Te vs Ti- because I am incredibly disorganized and terrible at prioritizing, etc, but I guess I'm using Te in a different way than a person who typically has Te as a top function, which makes sense- Te carrying some of the load Fi used to handle.)

I'd have to say I've been steering clear of anything which I know encourages my Fi- particular music, long solo hikes or trips to New York, films, certain literature- in other words, the type of Ne which leads to Si associations- a Ne-Si cocktail which gets my Fi stumbling drunk instantly, you could say.

So that's kind of it, I guess. I'm not so sure how to be completely comfortable with Fi. I'd say I'm progressing, but it's an incredibly slow process.

brain enclosed in flesh

Local time
-->
No, I'm backing up. I think my OP is more accurate than the last. That's what's been so odd about the process. I read more about Te vs. Ti, and my thought processes are way more Ti than Te (I'd say Te is primarily absent), more Ti than Fi. When I took the cognitive processes test ages ago, my primary functions were this: Ne Ti Fi Si. I think that's the best way to describe me, better than INFP or INTP- kind of like enneagram 4w5 or 5w4.

What was it again? Chocolate cheese cow?

And I don't want to be the way I used to be. I'm pretty good as is. :)

It is decreed and established, dad blurm it.

Perseus

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
I have got an emotional overload for over a year now. I do not know how to handle it. The only way seems to pretend it does not exist. At least to the outside world. Intuition always overides Feelings. And Thinking does as well.

brain enclosed in flesh

Local time
-->
I find it interesting because my journey is very similar - except that I went the other way - because my Ti was neglected, my Fe was dominant and so I 'saw' myself as highly emotional. However I now understand that my expression of emotion was heightened while my ability to organise my internal feelings was still very poor (hence the extremes of expression). At the same time, I didn't use my Ti very effectively because it had been neglected so actually I couldn't organise my thoughts internally either! So I felt very unstable inside. And on MBTI tests I always scored as an F.

I was really struck by our similarities - as were you. I wonder if that is because we both ended up in a place where our dominant functions for organising our internal worlds were unavailable and so we saw ourselves through the way we related in the external world. I was an unusually emotional INTP and I suspect you were probably an unusually logical INFP.

I've been thinking about this more. I haven't been as stable as I am now since high school. College/ falling in love for the first time was when things started to go bat shit emotionally, when what psychiatrists consider my 'bipolar episodes' began. Up to that point I was overall a pretty chill person. Sure I listened to The Cure and The Smiths and all that, but I also couldn't understand why girls were interested in dating anyone (aside for the need to fulfill hormonal needs). So I had an emotional time period, but then I married my husband because I liked how he was straight forward and kind and funny and he wasn't a lot of work- I didn't need to analyze our relationship in any way or interpret what his actions meant because he told me. It was overall a pretty rational decision, and it was due to considering these factors that I decided I love him.

So I guess what I'm saying is that what you say resonates, probably because I am probably an unusually emotional INTP, like you. I'd say chances are I've learned how to 'reuse' my Ti, because any time I find myself becoming overly 'feelish', it is incredibly uncomfortable, but Ti- Ti - is good and stabilizing.

I read this about ESFJ: ESFJs who have not had the advantage of developing their own values by weighing them against a good external value system may develop very questionable values. In such cases, the ESFJ most often genuinely believes in the integrity of their skewed value system. They have no internal understanding of values to set them straight. In weighing their values against our society, they find plenty of support for whatever moral transgression they wish to justify. This type of ESFJ is a dangerous person indeed. Extraverted Feeling drives them to control and manipulate, and their lack of Intuition prevents them from seeing the big picture. They're usually quite popular and good with people, and good at manipulating them. Unlike their ENFJ cousin, they don't have Intuition to help them understand the real consequences of their actions. They are driven to manipulate others to achieve their own ends, yet they believe that they are following a solid moral code of conduct. It does a pretty good job of describing how I was.

Does anyone else feel like they have no idea what they're talking about half the time? For example, I'll write something in here as if it's gospel, when I really don't know how I feel about it or what my actual opinion is or how things were in the past. It's almost as if I don't have a clear picture of myself at all. One second I think I'm completely this way, one second I think I'm completely this other way. And I jump to conclusions because something makes sense to me, but then afterward I find some other information which fills in the picture a bit more and I have to correct it under penalty of death and I feel like the most inconstant person on the planet.

Exacrion

Redshirt
Local time
-->
Actually, I am pretty sure I was an INFP during my childhood, but progressively changed to an INTP when attending high-school. I don't recognize myself in the INTP childhood but the INFP one. However now I only fit the INTP category, although my Ti still scores only a little more than my Fe (around 5-15% at most).

If I were to describe the reason of this change, I would say that I lost hope in making everyone agree and reach consensus and took refuge in my Ti instead.

Also the starting years of high-school I was constantly harassed by "cool" girls and friends started to drift away from me because they thought I was "uncool", all this due to the carefree nature of INFPs. This isolation and bad moments, made me turn darker and I had several moments of depression, eventually I just took refuge in my Ti, unable to use my Fe properly.

Until now, there's is one trait I don't share with other INTPs that is easiness when dealing with data and is something typical of INFPs.

I see myself currently as having moments INFP and others INTP (most of the time), but I wonder if I wouldn't be mentally healthier if I was to stick more to my original INFP side.

Exacrion

Redshirt
Local time
-->
I would also add that, when there is a situation that is personal to me, I think I momentarily return into an INFP and start to see it as a cause and work timelessly on it.

However when taking personality tests, I got Confident Individualism (for INTP with a slight +5-10%) making me wonder what I should do.

AphroditeGoneAwry

Baby in the corner
Local time
-->
This is a theory-of -sorts which came to mind last night. I don’t know if something like this already exists, but this is just how I thought of it, triggered by two questions:

2. Could this change in personality be the by-product of a nervous breakdown/ bipolar episode?

So here is:

In personal terms, it would go like this: I decide that I am hiding too much, revealing too little of myself, being too passive. I gorge my Ne, leading toward ENFP. However, due to jumping in too hastily, I get caught up in the unhealthy aspects, becoming too risky for the sake of feeding my Ne. With the Te moving up to the 3rd process, so come my harsh judgments of others. I focus on the judgments, and simultaneously begin to idolize the past, before my current life. Both my Si and Te increase in value, and I toss aside my Ne, no longer looking for future possibilities, but only toward the past, desiring it to be the present. I behave more like an unhealthy ISTJ, and my judgments of others increase in ferocity. My thoughts become rigid, fixed. Everything wrong is the fault of others, while I am right. I make sure to let the others know- My shadow function, ESTJ, rears its ugly head.

Everything falls apart. I am abandoned. I suddenly become aware that I am completely alone and I have screwed everything up. Everyone hates me. My opinions and internal values were obviously wrong. I can no longer trust myself. I must reach out to others for salvation, because I am faulty- ESFJ. The only way to do this is to please everyone else, because my needs are wrong and unimportant. I will silently work to please others, while hiding my own feelings- ISFJ.

But my feelings must be released in some way. I know this. I do not want to risk repeating what happened in the recent past. I write to release, and with writing comes the return of my Ne, but this time I am approaching matters intellectually, trying to understand why things happened the way they did. I spend so much time writing, my Ne becomes my dominant function- ENTP. Things seem to be going well, but all is not right. Something is wrong, and I need to find a way to improve my writing, refine it, make sure the point/theory is valid. I get caught up in introverted thinking, and become more of an INTP, where I stay in self-preservation mode, because it feels safe and unemotional here. I feel stable for the first time in years. This must be the correct, real me, I conclude.

I, of course, am wrong. I am an INFP who needs to find the safe way back to being my true self, only this time healthy and productive. I imagine the way to do this is: use the positive attributes of the other personality types which create the path back to INFP (as opposed to the negative which led me to my shadow function and breakdown).

What do others think of this? Remember, this is something I just thought of last night, so it isn’t exactly my baby and I don’t care if you tear it apart. It’s just a theory…

Welcome to INTP World! It's fun here. I like it. I hope you do too. :king-twitter:

Local time
Today 2:13 PM
-->

So here is:

Jeez that is bloody long!!!!!
I was so much prospecting on the whole thing and wondering how I should proceed lol.
Enough talk, i was so concerned about the personally change that you have encountered that this brings out the so call "essense" of Life. Oh, how and what do you get from that?

scorpiomover

The little professor
Local time
-->
1. a) The INFP doesn't understand the difference between F & T. b) As Jung explained, her INFP-ness was suppressed from childhood, usually because of an extremely domineering T mother. Therapy reveals the true self.

2. In theory. But as soon as the patient has recovered, the brain will recover and can thus return to its natural state.

Pizzabeak

Banned
Local time
Yesterday 11:13 PM
-->
no

Top Bottom