• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

How are you living with your mental illnesses?

What do you suffer from?

• Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Panic Disorder

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Bipolar I

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bipolar II

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Major depression

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Personality Disorder (any)

Votes: 5 45.5%
  • Other

Votes: 7 63.6%

• Total voters

BurnedOut

Local time
Today 12:52 PM
-->
What are you suffering from?
Has therapy helped?
What started all this?
How are you coping today?

ZenRaiden

One atom of me
Local time
Today 8:22 AM
-->
1} Nothing unusual, I can sort it out eventually
2} In a way yes, but not beyond what it can do... so as expected
3} Being born
4} Its hard to tell, but its not something you can measure.

Yellow

for the glory of satan
Local time
Today 1:22 AM
-->
I had GAD and a panic disorder when I was young. GAD at 19, which resolved around 20, and then a panic disorder around 21 that resolved the same year.

The GAD resolved with Citalopram and behavioral changes. I was able to get off the meds within a year. The panic disorder resolved with CBT and behavioral changes.

I experience minor relapses from time to time, which basically serve as reminders that I need to refocus on lifestyle stability

Deleted member 1424

Do sleep disorders count?
Not that I'm diagnosed, it's just obvious.

I'm so tired.

Animekitty

baby marshmallow born today
Local time
-->
I am pretty sure by now I have OCD.

Puffy

Mindless serf
Local time
-->
I’ve never been diagnosed with anything so I suppose it depends on how we define mental illness.

I used to experience anxiety and panic episodes that made it difficult to function in certain aspects of my life so I consider that mental illness. I was anti-medication mostly as my parents have been on them most of their lives and I wanted to find a lasting solution.

I’ve been seeing a therapist for the last 3-4 years, that I resumed a short while ago after one of my close friends passed away. Talking therapy in Psychosynthesis school.

I’d say it’s helped. I no longer experience anxiety or panic episodes. I just get periods of feeling low from time to time, usually as a result of neglecting myself, that improve when I pay more attention to self-care. In retrospect maybe I was stubborn and chose to do it the hard way and that something like what Yellow said would’ve been sensible.

I’m unsure what started it. Not so great family environment. Difficulty fitting in with others and consequent isolation. Leaving religion and subsequent identity crises. Multiple suicides and loss of the most important people in my life.

Not been a fun ride, at the same time many have it worse and I’ve learned a lot and managed it well, so I consider myself pretty lucky and privileged overall.

mikrokosmos

Redshirt
Local time
Today 7:22 AM
-->
I've suffered from GAD for at least six years (was diagnosed and prescribed generic Lexapro in 2016), but I've had worrisome anxieties/coping mechanisms/possible OCD since childhood. The past three years have been a steady escalation of panic disorder culminating in agoraphobia. Several months ago I dropped Lexapro and started a low dose of Zoloft, which unfortunately helped zip. Went to the doctor a few days ago and was taken off Zoloft, making me completely unmedicated now. Actually, I tapered the Zoloft off myself before going to the doctor, and during those 15-ish days (thankfully with no withdrawal symptoms), my mental health made a complete, utterly baffling 180.

To my amazement, the intense anxiety, agoraphobia, and all that other good stuff vanished in the course of... maybe three days? I can't really remember when I started feeling well again, but the change was tremendous. I haven't felt this well in years... and I can't explain it! My only guess is my genetically-inherited anxiety was being fueled by a vitamin deficiency. I began drinking Ensure because my appetite was so poor and the nausea/worry was overwhelming. After several days spent consuming mostly Ensure, my appetite came back and I started taking a multivitamin. I've been feeling incredible ever since.

And it's not just the anxiety being (for the most part) gone, but my self-destructive thought patterns are altered as well. I feel more confident and less hard on myself. I swear, it's the strangest thing. If this is a temporary "good" period, I'm going to take advantage of it as best I can -- start building good habits, coping mechanisms, taking care of myself, etc., so that when I'm met with the inevitable "bad" period I can handle it better and not sink so low.

CuriousMonk

Local time
-->
I've never got myself diagnosed for a mental illness or disorders but I for sure have a handful of them. I suspect that I have the following:

Social Anxiety
Stress
Low self esteem
Maybe slight traces of autism
Maybe Narcissism
Maybe a slight trace of depression

Weird thing is that approaching a therapist is considered a taboo in India. So, there are a bunch of people who I know are outright insane hanging around in the society suffering themselves and creating trouble for others, but no body gets an idea that they're suffering. People either bear with them for a lifetime or just ostracize them here, period.

People don't go to the therapist here because it's a taboo!

Also, how I am dealing with my mental illness:

I took to and read about spirituality and religion for years. When it didn't work out completely, I abandoned them. Now, I simply observe my self, my actions, thoughts and behaviour, their cause and effect. It has done a great deal in liberating me from suffering.

However, in severe cases I think it's best to consult a professional therapist.

ameliajane

Spectator
Local time
-->
I have a serious case of ADHD with a touch of Schizoid which will probably turn into schizophrenia soon enough. Oh yeah almost forgot, I've just been diagnosed as clinically depressed too. Not forgetting the time immemorial case of social anxiety.

But like I just smoke alot and drink alot of redbull as well. It's unhealthy but it works for me.

CuriousMonk

Local time
-->
I have a serious case of ADHD with a touch of Schizoid which will probably turn into schizophrenia soon enough. Oh yeah almost forgot, I've just been diagnosed as clinically depressed too. Not forgetting the time immemorial case of social anxiety.

But like I just smoke alot and drink alot of redbull as well. It's unhealthy but it works for me.
You've to work out your own freedom. Never get demoralized. One day we'll see light ✌️. Just be patient, clear headed and gradually work it out.

ameliajane

Spectator
Local time
-->

You've to work out your own freedom. Never get demoralized. One day we'll see light ✌️. Just be patient, clear headed and gradually work it out.
Thanks dude.

Animekitty

baby marshmallow born today
Local time
-->
I have this weird sensation where I try to grab myself projected from my right amygdala. I call it ocd because I don't know what else it is. I feel all contorted inside and outside. The doctor knows nothing about it.

Daddy

What's Your Pleasure?
Local time
Today 3:22 AM
-->
I was diagnosed with some form of Depression at one point. But after experimenting with supplements and herbs, I found out I had a magnesium deficiency that was causing me to be overly-tired with fibromyalgia. It's made me pretty skeptical of psychiatry, especially when they give you drugs that interact with your brain, but can't scientifically verify what's supposedly wrong with your brain to begin with. It's like being experimented on, especially with all the crazy side effects.

Top Bottom