• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

How to INTPs perceive the future?

viche

Local time
Yesterday 11:11 PM
-->
This is continuation of discussion from this thread: http://www.intpforum.com/showthread.php?t=8671 which touched upon how perceiving functions relate to dealing with information from different periods of time. After some introspection, I kind of get how Ni-Se mindset relates information from past to the present moment and then anticipates what will happen in the future. However, I have very little sense of Ne-Si (especially Si) and do not really understand how Ne-Si goes through this same process. I have somewhat of a technical understanding of it from reading about Ne and Si functions but it is not really sufficient. Can some of the INTPs explain here please what is your sense of the past? How do you connect that information to the present moment? And what is you sense of how how the present moment is connected to the future?

Words

Only 1 1-F.
Local time
Today 6:11 AM
-->
From my POV, The past seems to be covered in "stagnant" detail. Even abstractions such as morality has an unchanging form. Although I may have memories of a broad topic, it becomes concrete. [if that makes any sense].

I think, for the most part, the past helps me check the present and the future. It probably serves as a narrow guideline I cannot escape. I guess it kind of serves as a foundation for my reality. My experience, that is. My ideas would have to filter through my experience. My perceptions of the future are probably ideas filtered by experience.

I can significantly decrease the hold of the limiter but that would mean lessening the "sense" of it. On the other hand, completely removing the limit would mean to lose all "sense"(which I think is impossible for me at this stage).

I'll try that now:

"The future is a pie with large orange stick hanging on a tree".

I think some experience was needed for that idea but I didn't even relate the future to myself[the usual focus of my perception]. It is really just "random".

Note: I may be influenced by my consideration of Cognitive Functions.

EyeSeeCold

lust for life
Local time
Yesterday 11:11 PM
-->
This is continuation of discussion from this thread: http://www.intpforum.com/showthread.php?t=8671 which touched upon how perceiving functions relate to dealing with information from different periods of time. After some introspections, I kind of get how Ni-Se mindset relates information from past to the present moment and then anticipates what will happen in the future. However, I have very little sense of Ne-Si (especially Si) and do not really understand how Ne-Si goes through this same process. I have somewhat of a technical understanding of it from reading about Ne and Si functions but it is not really sufficient. Can some of the INTPs explain here please what is your sense of the past? How do you connect that information to the present moment? And what is you sense of how how the present moment is connected to the future?
Some people like to say that Ne dominants have a need to be "evaluated". Like what I posted in the other thread, Si asks what has been done before? Ne perceives the potential for new possibilities.

Take a relationship for example. Ne is very smart and creative, yet doesn't know how to focus talent into one area. Si would create a funnel-like atmosphere for Ne to direct that creativity into a narrowed space, which actually does the opposite of limiting- it keeps Ne from wasting energy on useless or redundant areas.

CoryJames

Banned
Local time
Today 2:11 AM
-->
From what I have gathered from my own experience, others' posted here, and basic overviews of the INTP type, the INTPs of the world generally like to focus on grand schemes, theories and connections. We stray from small, specific intricacies, as these do not really allow us to spread our cognitive wings in exploration. INTPs also think logically, and avoid emotional attachment in situations, perhaps intentionally or perhaps unconsciously, as it clouds one's ability for rational and reasonable examination.

The past, if perceived sanely, can be described as the grandest data set of unquestionable fact a person has for the analyzation of life. As I have stated above, an INTP tries to find connections and patterns so as to explain and rationalize events. Thus the average INTP can be assumed to use the past as his control set, while the future is used as a variable set to test theories one might have based on their examination past events. (At least that is the case for a compulsive manipulator such as myself.)

The past can be used for examination to find patterns; social, economic, natural, etc. I believe people as a whole use their pasts to predict what would and should happen in the foreseeable future based on conditioning, without noticeable differentiation between any specified groups. The differences arrive, at least in my belief, when one turns his attention to the extent to which the members of a specified group look to their past, how much heed they pay to it, and the time and care they spend analyzing their past, and the applications to which they use the knowledge they gain from it (if any).

LPolaright

Mentalist
Local time
Today 9:11 AM
-->
It seems you stole my topic! :mad:
But I couldn't of written it better, so I guess that's better - no misunderstandings that will occur because I still don't understand the subject very well. Though the articles you gave me helped a lot, thank you - I'm still going through them throughly.

Though I will try my luck explaining first and then giving an example based on that explanation:

Si seems to take great care about the past familiarities of frozen parameters and snapshots of reality (like words said) and thus a place to point you at in case you need to recall data. Kind of like when you copy a math exercise to your notebook, you have to look several times at the book (which is the snapshot of reality) in order to capture it better and then go back to writing (which is the prediction).

As Ne seems to look at patterns on the here and now, it gives a higher priority to the connections that seem to underly just beneath the physical world and learn relationships between objects as part of a whole bigger picture. An example I could give here would be looking at a rug from up close first (realizing the object without great detail), watching carefully for the pattern it creates while taking a step back and see how it acts to create a bigger picture (the rug itself). The act of prediction through Ne would probably occur when you see another rug that seems similar from up close (realizing the object) and then probably knowing the resulting bigger picture.

The prediction with both Si and Ne would probably vary in the amount of "stepping back" of the Ne and the detail intake of Si, but I would assume that it would be a lot like the Ne process only sometimes getting close back again just to make sure you are on the write path. The Si guides the Ne like EyeSeeCold says.

My personal experience with future interactions within the past and present (I still like calling it prediction, because it is a common definition in Mentalism) can be described here:

(I described it really shitty, so I wouldn't be surprised if you wouldn't understand what I mean here)

Walking through the same road to work stored details about the road, how fast I walk it, how fast does the traffic lights change while looking at the objects as a whole - the road as a path, the speed of me moving as a correlation with the crowd and the traffic lights changes as parts of the huge traffic system.
trying to predict how could I walk the road with efficiency I used my Si to collect the parameters I chose and the experiences of the relevant parts in the system, switching to Ne I tried to find the patterns that are relevant to my path right now accordingly with my Si parameters as the variables available to me right now - it results in finding traffic lights patterns that are more efficient then others and thus choosing them over others along with the distance from the target and the speed of walking in the crowd.

Just something I noticed from that experience. I seem to freeze it as a snapshot so I could use it in further instances because logic says the road isn't going to change, the traffic lights are supposed to be the same everyday if I'm walking at the right hour and the only thing that changes is the crowd and my walking speed which needs to be adjusted to predict the future. But that's only after there is a pattern to my pattern finding, which is possibly even more complicated because it relates to a system of a system of prediction?

Top Bottom