• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

How to start a career in programming

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Today 3:09 AM
-->
Manipulator said

Maybe you can write separate topic about how to start career in programming. I can see there is a lot people interesting about it. I dont know how many of them are in my age, but it can help people not only in this forum.

I can;t find any good tactics how to learn programming, and I know too less, to make mine.

I don't think there is a simple mechanistic algorithm I can give to start a career in anything. The reason is that the real trick is that you have to get yourself over a hump of being not somewhere (not a programmer), to somewhere (being a programmer). It's kind of like an on/off switch in the brain, and somehow you have to flip it on. The impediment being you don't know how to do anything in X (e.g. programming), so the solution is to find a way to start doing something in X. Then do it again, and again and again.

So here are some goals you could have to get into programming. I always found goals a good way to achieve an end. Be flexible on the method to the goal, but not flexible on the goal itself.

• Get onto GitHub. This is the "street cred" method. Either contribute to existing projects or create ones of your own that get interest in them. If you do enough work and get enough of a rep built up you can show that to any employer as proof of your abilities. This is the minimum Stage 1. You can also go indie with just this.
  • Get the Sheepskin. This could be either (ideally) in addition to the above, or instead of. Many places won't even bother with you if you don't have a degree, that is simply the calling card that gets your resumé looked at. Here you can go indie or with a company.

That's more or less it. Get involved in projects, start your own, and code like a fiend. Make your keyboard an extension of you. As for which projects to pick that's highly individualistic. It doesn't matter, and don't procrastinate around that. Just pick anything that you have a little interest in.

As to specifics people always want to know what programming language they should learn first, what project, etc. It doesn't matter. But if you have to have a recommendation then doing something in Java first is a fine choice, and pick a project small enough that one person could do it in a few weeks. Think really, really small.

Ex-User (8886)

Local time
Today 9:09 AM
-->
Forgive my low skills in english, but can you explain what means
Get the Sheepskin
?

The reason is that the real trick is that you have to get yourself over a hump of being not somewhere (not a programmer), to somewhere (being a programmer). It's kind of like an on/off switch in the brain, and somehow you have to flip it on. The impediment being you don't know how to do anything in X (e.g. programming), so the solution is to find a way to start doing something in X. Then do it again, and again and again.
It's wise what you are writing here. I was thinking in a bit different way, and your advice will help me :) I wanted to being someone or have ability of something, insted of doing something.

I actually don't know anything about GitHub, but I will get to know in free time (when I will feel to want to ;D ). Is there something in C++ ? I have good book about this language.

And this:
Think really, really small.
will be really hard... :D

Architect

Professional INTP
Local time
Today 3:09 AM
-->
Sorry, a "sheepskin" is an old word for a degree (presumably they used to be written on sheep skins).

Top Bottom