• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

I hate RPG games

Ex-User (8886)

Local time
Today 6:48 AM
-->
I just realized that it's one of the most frustrating actions to pick only one role and stick with it. I always want to do many things and adapt to what is needed right in a moment. That's why I like strategy games, mostly RTS - you are free to pick all the actions that you want and you are only limited by the rules of game (like in life we are limited be physics laws). It is huge discovery for me, because I was frustrated by games for years, and maybe some of you play games and are irritated too.

while saying RPG I mean game when you need to specialize and fill a role

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 4:18 PM
-->
Yeah I largely agree.

In tabletop, casters/rogues generally have the burden of solving all the problems that the other members aren't equipped for, so I enjoy that. But I don't ever want to be just DPS, healer, or tank.

What RTS do you play?

Ex-User (8886)

Local time
Today 6:48 AM
-->
Yeah I largely agree.

In tabletop, casters/rogues generally have the burden of solving all the problems that the other members aren't equipped for, so I enjoy that. But I don't ever want to be just DPS, healer, or tank.

What RTS do you play?

Lastly I was trying Starcraft II, but I found it more arcade game than strategic :x
So I'm going back to good AoE 2 and other similar games
also found a great channel that I found addicting about AoE 2 - SpiritOfTheLaw in YT. It's surely made by Ti dominant guy :D

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 4:18 PM
-->
StarcraftII has some issues, but so does AoEII IMO. The first 15 minutes has very little interaction unless you're very good. Doing your economy for 15 minutes every game feels like work not play.

Yeah I like spiritofthelaw. Funny just how much junk is going on behind the scenes in that game.

Stigmata

Local time
Today 1:48 AM
-->
I just realized that it's one of the most frustrating actions to pick only one role and stick with it. I always want to do many things and adapt to what is needed right in a moment. That's why I like strategy games, mostly RTS - you are free to pick all the actions that you want and you are only limited by the rules of game (like in life we are limited be physics laws). It is huge discovery for me, because I was frustrated by games for years, and maybe some of you play games and are irritated too.

1) Play Final Fantasy X
2) Each character is basically its own unique class and you can interchange characters in combat
3) ????
4) Profit!

BurnedOut

Beloved Antichrist
Local time
Today 12:18 PM
-->
I was never able to play long-term games especially RPGs. Given the excessive number of possibilities and choices, things become very confusing for me and it's more of a sensory overload while playing them.

I tried playing miscreets but gave pretty quickly. It's not a RPG but something similar to it. I like closed-ended, fixed perspective or creative games which encourage you to do some puzzle solving albeit in a closed storyline and FPS. Portal is one good example.

@Manipulator, you should really try addictinggames and fiddle with the escape series. It's totally awesome. You are trapped in a room / situation and you have to escape. Happy wheels is also very addictive.

For now, try playing The last Stand 2 on armour games. You'll get hooked to it. Instantly.

Sent from my SM-J730GM using Tapatalk

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 2:48 AM
-->
My 5e monk just hit level 8, but yeah.... you kinda can get locked in a combat role.

I try to compensate by making it more about mechanics -- I really like my character and roleplay her really well to make the story far more interesting. So there's stuff that has nothing to do with the game rules itself that I am free to explore however i want. (Molly's basically a blue-collar halfling thug, rather than "monk" per se... very down to earth, practical, earthy, loud, not very womanly at times... she's got a streak of Tonya Harding in her.... she's fun to play especially when she lets herself get unrealistically imaginative.)

But in terms of mechanics, I find myself trying to find ways to flesh her out so she's more than a mobile strike class because that can get old. Unfortunately, it means, multiclassing a bit and/or trying to find gear to give her additional capabilities.

Anyway, that's my thought -- in RPGs, it can get kind of old unless you have opportunities for roleplay where you can be anything, not just confined to your combat / dice function.

C.S.Hawk

Redshirt
Local time
Yesterday 11:48 PM
-->

Lol. I love RPG games. Especially KotOR.... although that's mostly because I'm obsessed with Star Wars.

Cognisant

Prolific Member
Local time
Yesterday 7:48 PM
-->
Dark Messiah: Might & Magic
This game isn't too bad, even as a 100% magic user build you're still able to fight in melee, even be quite effective if you focus on knocking enemies over and using finishing attacks.

D&D 5e
My personal preference is playing a Hexblade Warlock with a crossbow, it's not the heaviest hitting build (certainly no slouch either) but it's very reliable damage (Improved Pact Weapon) and the Warlock spells are great for getting into advantageous positions (Spider Climb) and out of disadvantageous ones (Misty Step).

Elder Scrolls: Oblivion
I liked having the option to create custom spells, especially one I call Death's Touch which is 100pts drain health on touch for one second, a nice convenient mana-efficient way of removing pests that really aren't strong enough to be a challenge anyway.

Are we talking about videogames or tabletop?
MMORPGs universally suck.

travelnjones

Local time
Yesterday 11:48 PM
-->
If you are talking Pen and Paper you have to have something outside of the class that makes your character a character.

In 5e now I play a dwarf fighter who I try to be an intimitank. How I actually play him is with a cockney accent and spew profanity at monsters. My first feat was used for Linguist so I could insult more monsters in their own languages. He is sort of Vivian from the young ones. Just in normal playing of him I constantly get in and out of trouble.

It can be especially good if you think of your character as opening a doorway for the party. If you have a group of nobles a low class character opens another world. If you have criminals a character who was a forger now trying to be a painter may open the door to high society.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 2:48 AM
-->
If you are talking Pen and Paper you have to have something outside of the class that makes your character a character.

In 5e now I play a dwarf fighter who I try to be an intimitank. How I actually play him is with a cockney accent and spew profanity at monsters. My first feat was used for Linguist so I could insult more monsters in their own languages. He is sort of Vivian from the young ones.

Ha, nice! :)

It can be especially good if you think of your character as opening a doorway for the party. If you have a group of nobles a low class character opens another world. If you have criminals a character who was a forger now trying to be a painter may open the door to high society.

yeah, I think persona / personality drives the story and makes something more than a cookie cutter. The best stories my group tells are the ones with the most unique memorable characters. Their abilities are for game mechanics, and sometimes people pick abilities that don't gel with their class.

Our tempest cleric never healed anyone but himself, was a womanizer (for women half his age), was an impromptu medical practitioner, and had other hangups that made him interesting far beyond the tempest cleric spec. My Halfling with the strength belt was technically a monk but I played her as a raunchy-mouthed thug stuck between going straight and falling right back into her drunken heedless ways; at times she'd try to be more feminine and motherly but to humorous effect. Our current paladin is a half-orc who was raised in a wayward boys home who is trying to serve justice but in that overbearing obnoxious half-orc way, and always trying to one-up his "adopted bro" -- both of them try to adhere to a code of honor but seem to miss the point.

Top Bottom