• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

I have 3 months of self-studying coming up, help?

Nezumi

I wish there was some chocolate pudding in this ho
Local time
Today 3:56 AM
-->
In a couple weeks, I'm going to go from working at sucky entry-level jobs to staying at home and giving myself (With my INTJ boyfriends help/management) a crash course in web design/css/java/etc so that I can help him with larger contract jobs. Which will make us more money than my job now does anyway.

As excited as I am by this, I'm also cautious. I'm a procrastinator. It gets worse as soon as I don't achieve what I think I will fast enough. I'm know I'm intelligent enough for this, but I haven't done any hardcore, 6-8 hours a day of learning since highschool.

Tips, advice, ways to study, ways to not procrastinate? They would be greatly appreciated.

ProxyAmenRa

Here to bring back the love!
Local time
Today 5:56 PM
-->
1) Do a crash course on the basics.
2) Complete a complex project.

Etheri

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 8:56 AM
-->
Will you honestly need 6 to 8 hours of efficient studying every day to pass?

If you truly study hard whenever you study, could you study over half of what is required within a week or two? If so, do it, then you can slack for a while.

Nezumi

I wish there was some chocolate pudding in this ho
Local time
Today 3:56 AM
-->
Will you honestly need 6 to 8 hours of efficient studying every day to pass?

If you truly study hard whenever you study, could you study over half of what is required within a week or two? If so, do it, then you can slack for a while.

I'm doing a very broad range of subjects at once. Including three programming languages that have different syntax. And I would like to be competent enough to make money as soon as possible.

I find it odd that I come asking for help in not slacking (which is a first for me) and I get told to slack :facepalm:

Void

oblivious
Local time
-->
this may sound counter-intuitive, but don't force yourself. I find I study way better when I like what I'm doing, and when I force myself to study, the result is only just better than without studying.

if that wont work, just set a time in 3-4 days and start. Just fcking start. I find when I just start something which sparks interest somewhere, I find it hard to stop when I get into it.

Certyy

Redshirt
Local time
Today 12:56 AM
-->
I'm guessing you have to use your internet to do all of this stuff, but if you don't, turn off the wifi on your computer, or unplug the motem or whatever. Having unlimited entertainment just a few clicks away is very tempting and will only slow you down.

Elegia

Redshirt
Local time
-->
1) Do a crash course on the basics.
2) Complete a complex project.

I agree with ProxyAmenRa, but instead of starting a complex project, I'd do a lot of smaller projects. Each project should involve some difficulty or some aspect of the language/framework/library that you're not yet familiar with. Not only will you learn much faster than from reading a book, it'll probably be a lot more fun because you'll actually see the progress you're making.

Some examples of projects could be:

• A simple web-based notebook app
  • A newsfeed aggregator
  • A signup/login/checkout/... form
  • A small text adventure.
  • Etc.

walfin

Democrazy
Local time
Today 3:56 PM
-->
Learn on the job, ask the boyfriend to give you [real] things to do, with increasing difficulty.

jpc

Local time
Today 9:56 AM
-->
As excited as I am by this, I'm also cautious. I'm a procrastinator. It gets worse as soon as I don't achieve what I think I will fast enough.
I have the same problem. The solution is to have or feel like you have nothing better to do (dont even leave your seat for as long as you can). This works well, if you are not yet passionate about it. Once you have forced yourself hard enough, you will either start to enjoy it or you will realize that programming definitely isnt your thing.

Also, small goals. You never should have a day where your main goal is to learn to code in java. The goal should be about doing something with java, however insignificant that might seem.

Valentas

Local time
Today 7:56 AM
-->
My formula for success at studying anything:

* Get rid of all noise in room.
* Tell no one to bother you.
* If you study from a book, turn off the Internet to prevent bookmarks clicking, email checking.
* If activity is not high intensity, hard-core thinking, take a break every 30 mins. Personally, I can't remember anything what I read after this time frame. My brain needs distractions.
* Also don't be mad if you fail on this time frame. If you honestly did your best, it is good enough. :)

Top Bottom