• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

i used to think of this issue as a joke

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
Today 9:13 PM
-->
but now it's gone too far.

i fall asleep when studying, regardless of spatio-temporal location and ergonomic circumstances. i can keep it up for about 45 minutes before invariably drifting away from the trivial and trite letters and illustrations and externalized arbitrary demarcations into the speechless timeless lucid narcosis. if i typically remained sleeping long enough to boost memory consolidation, this could have been a good thing - but alas, such ain't the case. rather i swing back and forth, sleeping less than 15 minutes (experientially rising from eternal slumber with each cycle) and then waking for a similar or shorter period of time. this goes on until i decide to walk around or visit the internet instead. school is so dull. books are so boring. long rambling fuzzy monologues. this is starting to feel like one so i'll cut it now.

not sure if this is whining or asking for advice. whatever.

any similar experiences? any potential solutions?

TimeAsylums

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 1:13 PM
-->
but now it's gone too far.

i fall asleep when studying, regardless of spatio-temporal location and ergonomic circumstances. i can keep it up for about 45 minutes before invariably drifting away from the trivial and trite letters and illustrations and externalized arbitrary demarcations into the speechless timeless lucid narcosis. if i typically remained sleeping long enough to boost memory consolidation, this could have been a good thing - but alas, such ain't the case. rather i swing back and forth, sleeping less than 15 minutes (experientially rising from eternal slumber with each cycle) and then waking for a similar or shorter period of time. this goes on until i decide to walk around or visit the internet instead. school is so dull. books are so boring. long rambling fuzzy monologues. this is starting to feel like one so i'll cut it now.

not sure if this is whining or asking for advice. whatever.

any similar experiences? any potential solutions?

[bimgx=350]http://www.film.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/liamneeson_27.jpg[/bimgx]

This will be stressful.

It will be painful.

...it will take effort.

Are you eating and sleeping healthy?

Make sure you are. If you are eating correctly, but still can't sleep right, exercise. You will be tired. You will sleep.

Also, take ya vitamins, some B12 and what not, could help.

[bimgx=350]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100915165215/starwars/images/8/84/QuiGonJinn-SWSB.png[/bimgx]
Force. It will take force.

If you are seriously worried, see a doctor, but anyway

Eat healthy, exercise, sleep, do.

Latte

Preferably Not Redundant
Local time
-->
Sounds arduous. Whining can be good some times. If you don't feel like any questions I ask, that's OK. Sometimes one only feels like letting the experience of one's situation out of oneself into the sociosphere.

The only thing I can think of is heavy strength training before trying prolonged sleep (one must drink copious liquid before sleeping in that case). Trying to encourage the body to tell itself to temporarily die in order to recuperate.

What highly mentally affecting substances do you regularly intake? (prescription or non-prescription. anything from cocoa to bath salts).

How is your diet like? Have you had any changes over the years?
Has there been any potentially relevant significant strong trauma, stress or worldview change before and/or during this problem?

If you look back to the past and internally correct for the possible nostalgia tint, is your general ability to enjoy anything impaired compared to then, or is it specific to what you mentioned? If it is impaired, when did it become as it is now and when did the sleeping issues start?

Have a kawaii Cthulu :cthulhu:

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->
TA: i appreciate your time and effort.

night sleep is usually normal or excessive (8-12 hours) but slightly delayed and with a prolonged circadian rhythm that seems hardwired.

food intake is sufficient. i've been losing weight lately but not to the point of starvation and now i'm back on track eating large meals, certainly meeting my maintenence daily caloric requirement, or at least averaging out on it. (enjoy fasting and binging...)

exercise: plenty of long walks lately.

Minuend

pat pat
Local time
-->
It might be one of those things where it started out innocently because you had little interest in reading, but eventually your brain has come to learn that reading time = sleeping time.

It's like other routines/ habbits, like if you eat at the same times every day, you will start feeling hunger when that time is coming up.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4690480_stop-falling-asleep-reading.html

Or it can be physiological.

TimeAsylums

Prolific Member
Local time
-->
TA: i appreciate your time and effort.

night sleep is usually normal or excessive (8-12 hours) but slightly delayed and with a prolonged circadian rhythm that seems hardwired.

food intake is sufficient. i've been losing weight lately but not to the point of starvation and now i'm back on track eating large meals, certainly meeting my maintenence daily caloric requirement, or at least averaging out on it. (enjoy fasting and binging...)

exercise: plenty of long walks lately.

So...in short, you're doing all ok those things wise. Huh. idk, try Latte with your "what substances you use"

redbaron

irony based lifeform
Local time
Tomorrow 5:13 AM
-->
Do you have the same problem when you study interesting things as boring ones?

Kuu

>>Loading
Local time
-->
There is such a thing as narcolepsy.

And there are such substances as modafinil.

There is also a nasty thing called burnout. That one's a bitch.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->
Latte: occasional weed use, about once a week currently. no alcohol, and since two weeks no tobacco except in joints. the odd cup of coffee.

healthy diet i'd say. variable in micro but stable in macro.

i've been this way for a long time with the studying. only this year have i begun studying something i feel an inkling of ambition with: psychology. this makes the drowziness and fatigue issue more frustrating. also i'm likely in a depressive state, apathetic or anhedonic or angry or mildly dissociated most of the time for 9 years. several causes. boo hoo me. anyway that's probably tightly intertwined with the issue at hand.

Minuend: good insight. thank you.

redbaron: everything that's in a book becomes boring. i wanna do the thinking and let wikipedia do the knowing. crystallized intelligence is a thing of the past. this is where ideology and intuition overlaps with sheer laziness and demotivation. tricky.

Kuu: can it be narcolepsy if purely situational? burn-out hmm... any experience with that? it might be the thing at work here.

Cavallier

Oh damn.
Local time
Today 12:13 PM
-->
^It can be situational. My father has a slight case of narcolepsy. He only gets it when driving these days. Though he complained of the same issues as you when in college.

Pinion

ISTJ Boogeyman
Local time
Today 2:13 PM
-->
Break it apart and break it down. Half of everything in many textbooks is useless, anyway.

walfin

Democrazy
Local time
Tomorrow 3:13 AM
-->
Maybe you do not have enough coffee?

Not that I really recommend substance dependence, but it's harmless enough, most of us abuse it, and it's perfectly legal and rarely lethal.

Top Bottom