• OK, it's on.
  • Please note that many, many Email Addresses used for spam, are not accepted at registration. Select a respectable Free email.
  • Done now. Domine miserere nobis.

Insights on what makes up your forum persona?

brandmaus

Local time
Today 12:10 PM
-->
Stuff you think determines the way in which you interact with strangers on the internet. How seriously do you normally take others, etc.

ProxyAmenRa

Here to bring back the love!
Local time
Today 9:10 PM
-->
Due to comparatively less information being conveyed through this media people think I am more abrasive than I am in real life.

Hadoblado

think again losers
Local time
Today 8:40 PM
-->
I'm a lot more casual and outspoken IRL. On this forum I spend a lot more effort expressing myself concisely, as it's a lot easier to be misunderstood without social cues available in person. I guess you could say I normally lead with my intuitive function, instead of my Ti.

own8ge

Existential Nihilist
Local time
-->
My awareness of global ignorance, stupidity and foolishness.

-
Even if I know the concrete answer to a thread's question, I more than often refuse to post. You can't learn a fool what he refuses to see. Even the utmost rewarding, irrefutable and objective logic goes in vain. What a man can't understand will be that what he refuses to see for the sake of egocentric experiment. "If I'm wrong, it will be proven with logic I can understand." Which of course, is the utmost ignorant mindset once you know better. There are people that can transcend the ignorance of their usual mindset(/personality type), but those people are rare as it takes a well developed mind to transcend their subjective curiosity into reaching an objective purpose (for the objective type vice versa). Yet of course, YOU won't understand this...

Awareness of ignorance is the end-goal if the purpose is truth. Yet many of you whom claim to be all for truth, arrogantly refuse to consider their own ignorance. Those with an objective subjective awareness admit to stupidity (every single moment of their lives). Fools deny this with arrogance due to their egocentric sensitivity. (I've seen it happen on this forum numerous of times)

"You are just a troll" "You are just pseudo-Intelligent" "You are just a retard"
Whatever your excuse is, above all it's ignorant. If you can't sense the connection between my spoken words, consider yourself stupid and don't try to defy me with logic that doesn't even make sense if you would actually understand what I said. All you do is make a fool of yourself, speak hypocritical and refuse to surrender. Just so you can live another day.

If your goal is indeed truth, acceptance of logic which you can't understand should be casual. That, INSTEAD of to argue with your logic, assuming for the other person to understand you and argue based on your subjective logic. ...

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
Today 1:10 PM
-->
own7ge you could have written "believe me or you're a fuck dick" instead, would have saved me some time

own8ge

Existential Nihilist
Local time
-->
own7ge you could have written "believe me or you're a fuck dick" instead, would have saved me some time

As logic, is what you refuse to hear?

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->
i appreciate own8ge's post, brontosaurie

there was some resemblance of interesting relativistic thought but all props in the service of his own absolutely inflated ego so not worthwhile

"confirmation bias exists, therefore i am supremely righteous and misunderstood. one should be critical of ones own thoughts but fully receptive to mine" good for you own9ge

of course this very objection stems from my failure to recognize my own stupidity (and your axiomatic lack thereof) but you could consider it, even though you may fail to see the logic.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
Today 7:10 AM
-->
It's funny because when I started foruming, I didn't even swear -- I would put asterisks in all my swear words, and I was careful to try to say things in ways that people wouldn't be mad at me.

Obviously that part is different now.

I'm "louder" in writing than IRL, for one because I'm more comfortable with my writing voice. (I'm more extraverted in writing as well.) And I think I'm more abrasive nowadays on forums than I am IRL.

IRL, if I think someone's idea is stupid but still generally have to live with them, I'll either handle things more delicately or just ignore the comments... or avoid interacting with the person if they are habitually annoying. On forums, there is no real longetivity of impact on my actual life, you can be far more direct about things, so I am. It's just not worth the energy much of the time to pussyfoot around.

I try to remind myself of this when I'm dealing with others who might also seem abrasive, and it's not necessarily a reflection of their approach elsewhere.

@Brontosaurie: Hey, guess what? We agree on something.

Brontosaurie

Banned
Local time
-->
I'm "louder" in writing than IRL, for one because I'm more comfortable with my writing voice. (I'm more extraverted in writing as well.) And I think I'm more abrasive nowadays on forums than I am IRL.

IRL, if I think someone's idea is stupid but still generally have to live with them, I'll either handle things more delicately or just ignore the comments... or avoid interacting with the person if they are habitually annoying. On forums, there is no real longetivity of impact on my actual life, you can be far more direct about things, so I am. It's just not worth the energy much of the time to pussyfoot around.

we agree about this too actually. conflicts are very frightening irl but on the web i almost actively seek them.

Hawkeye

Banned
Local time
-->
From what I have been told by people that have met me after talking to me on a forum, I am pretty much the same in the real world.

They also add that my voice does not match the one they applied to my face on the forum. And I always get the "where did you say you're from?" question because my accent does not match that of the citizens of my home town.

The only difference I suppose is that in reality, it is easier to tell if I'm being serious or not.

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
The only difference I suppose is that in reality, it is easier to tell if I'm being serious or not.

I can identify with that. I think there's a lot of things that can be 'straight-faced' online that people would read differently if they could see our facial expressions and context of particular comments.

we agree about this too actually. conflicts are very frightening irl but on the web i almost actively seek them.

Yeah, I think for me it cuts to the chase and clarifies what is being said.

A few years ago when I was still doing meetups, I had a number of people say that out of everyone, I was most like my forum persona -- pretty much what they expected. But that might have changed a bit now since my level of directness has gone up on the forums.

BigApplePi

Banned
Local time
-->
I like to try and understand things, within limits. I want to fill in the gaps. I like to talk to people for you all have different interests. If someone else presents a persona, I go for that persona. If you are ridiculous, I will take you as ridiculous. If they present more than one, contradictions will result. If I discover that I lose interest.

I want to try to present theories if they are discussed enough. I have to think them over. I want to contribute something before I leave ... this world.

Peripheral Visionary

Eye In Tee-Pee
Local time
Today 6:10 AM
-->
I am exactly like my internet persona.

Including the fact that my face is a green pyramid and I have only one eye. And also my voice sounds like your own as it is speaking in your head.

wonkavision

Banned
Local time
Today 4:10 AM
-->
I'm pretty much the same online as I am IRL.

In both cases, I'm very selective about what I choose to reveal or hold back at any given time, and it's mostly dependent on how receptive I think a given audience is going to be, or seems to be based on the signal I put out and received back.

(Probably textbook INFJ, I guess....Or is that common to all types?)

Also, in both cases I tiptoe around things and backpedal a lot because I'm trying to be diplomatic, and also to reign in my J tendencies. :nazi:
Especially around loads of Ps, I feel really self-conscious about that.

(EDIT: Also, I hide behind the "Willy Wonka" avatar/persona to some extent, hoping I will come off as more wacky and lovable than just neurotic and insane, lol.)

At first, when I started posting on this forum, I was really self-conscious about trying to be concise and uber-logical so people wouldn't rip me to shreds, but I gave up pretty quick and decided to be myself. I know I have frequent lapses of logic, but I haven't actually encountered much grief about that.

Strangely, I feel more at home here than on the INFJ forum. (But no, I'm not an INTP. I really am an INFJ.)
Granted, I mostly lurk here, but overall, I think I'm more "myself" here than on any other forum.

Absurdity

Prolific Member
Local time
Today 4:10 AM
-->
Due to comparatively less information being conveyed through this media people think I am more abrasive than I am in real life.

Reading your posts in an Australian accent makes me giggle. :D

own8ge

Existential Nihilist
Local time
-->

The Introvert

Goose! (Duck, Duck)
Local time
-->
I normally just stick with "Psyduck" IRL... Occasionally I'll shorten it up with "psy", or any combination of the two.

People wonder how I type with wings, but it's really just the same as wearing mittens: just takes practice, and patience.

Duxwing

I've Overcome Existential Despair
Local time
-->
I'm much more articulate, logical, and argumentative on INTPf than I am in real life. Most people in my class either don't value or can't comprehend anything not part of their library of facts (though they are masters within that library); do not value abstract, theoretical discussion, preferring gossip and small news (though they socially outshine me); or consciously or unconsciously prefer, or cannot be reasoned from, their subjective values and delusions and project these values and delusions onto reality (though these delusions and values are very well codified). In other words, I live in a debating desert.

But here, I'm surrounded by people who love debate, logic, and abstraction for fun and knowledge. I feel more 'myself' on here than I do anywhere else, and I'm able to enjoy the socialization that I wish that I could have in school. Hence, I spend an inordinate amount of time here-- but you would too, if you were surrounded by people like that. Even my school's debating club is, to my knowledge, populated by the same people with whom I cannot reason. Arrrrrrrrgh!

/rant

-Duxwing

ProxyAmenRa

Here to bring back the love!
Local time
Today 9:10 PM
-->
Reading your posts in an Australian accent makes me giggle. :D

images

Ohh man, this made me chuckle.

YOZKj.png

GodOfOrder

Local time
-->
I don't know who I am, perhaps I am just a consciousness that simply congealed on the internet, or perhaps am some pedantic college student of average intelligence...:confused:

But for your purposes I am simply god of order. I am whatever your perception represents me as.

For myself IRL I am simply I.

Agent Intellect

Absurd Anti-hero.
Local time
-->
I'm a ghost. I appear on occasion, haunt some people, and disappear. Most people don't even know I exist...

Jennywocky

Tacky Flamingo
Local time
-->
Did someone hear a whisper?

Top Bottom